• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers draft Joshua Dobbs 4th round

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
No this guy can't go in and fill in for two or three weeks better than Jones. And anything longer than that is a season ender anyhow. So If you think he is better than Mettinberger OK. Or if you think Mettinberger for a three week stint and will cut Jones. Again OK. I just don't think that is happening and this was a completely wasted 4th round pick.

Spike

Reaction score
I believe he can dislodge Landry from his clipboard duties, that is our goal for Josh

Focus people!

Mike Mayock compared him to Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam, at the draft.......whippy arm

Go Josh!

I liked Joe better than Bradshaw, way back in the day

IndySteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Even better....the next Kordell?

No more Korkies! I'm going to have frickin nightmares. Especially if they give him number 10.

That dude's forehead is bigger than Peyton Manning's! Whoa!

Reactions: MTC

Spike

Reaction score
Shaking my head especially with Butt still there in a position we need NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.

I'm with you there, totally - I wanted Butt too - I guess with that ACL tear they don't think he can contribute this year at all

Of course maybe they want to get rid of Landry as bad as I do!

Dobbs led Tennessee to 3 straight Bowl wins. The last QB to do that there was.....Peyton Manning

josh-dobbs-peyton-manning-570x3881.jpg

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Dobbs doesn't have a forehead, he has a fivehead...

I'm fine with the RG3 comparisons, at least we didn't take him in the first round!

Spike

Reaction score
Damn he is little

6'3"?

You hicks need to get out more

Dobbs Shines at Senior Bowl

To say Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs might be the next Dak Prescott is a stretch. Or is it? Prescott, the former Mississippi State quarterback, caught the eye of the Dallas Cowboys with his MVP performance in the 2016 Senior Bowl.

Dobbs, a senior at UT in 2016, earned the starting job for the South team during practice. In Saturday’s game, Dobbs completed 12-of-15 passes for 104 yards with an interception when an offensive lineman got pushed into Dobbs during his throwing motion.

Cleveland Browns coach Hue Jackson, head coach of the South team, didn’t blame Dobbs for the interception.

“I thought Josh did a good job other than, he couldn’t control them getting in, hitting (him) and the ball flipping up in the air,” Jackson told the NFL Network’s Alex Flanagan at halftime.

“I thought he ran the offense, moved the ball and did the things we thought he could do. He did a good job.”

“Josh was able to handle the information, first and foremost, I think he’s really intelligent, and he’s able to take things from the classroom to the field,” Jackson told reporters in Mobile.

“Then, just his physical skills, I didn’t know he could throw the ball as well as he can. The ball comes off his hand the right way, the ball gets to the receiver pretty quickly, so he was able to take all that information and go out and execute what we asked him to do.”

Webb was MVP of the Senior Bowl
, completing 11 of 16 passes for 165 yards and a touchdown in the South’s 16-15 win over the North.

However, Dobbs was most impressive during the week of preparation for the bowl. Rob Rang and Dan Brugler of NFLDraftScout.com wrote this about Dobbs:

“SEC fans may have a hard time believing it, but Tennessee quarterback Josh Dobbs threw the ball very well on Tuesday [during a practice session]. The 6-foot-3 and 1/4, 216-pounder has always possessed a strong arm, as well as the mobility and intelligence scouts are looking for, but he has struggled with accuracy over his career. That was not the case Tuesday, however, as Dobbs threw accurately and on time on a variety of pro-style routes, including slants, outs, post-corners and deep balls. California’s Davis Webb and Tiffin’s Antonio Pipkins were significantly less consistent with their accuracy on Tuesday.”

Vic Carucci of the Buffalo News also had high praise for Dobbs before Saturday’s game.

Carucci labeled Dobbs as his potential winner of the “He Could Be Another Dak Prescott” award. The Buffalo News headline read: “14 takeaways from the Senior Bowl: Is Dobbs another Dak?”

“He doesn’t have the ‘wow’ factor Prescott or Carson Wentz had at last year’s Senior Bowl,” Carucci wrote, “but he did make consistent improvement during the three full practices Tuesday through Thursday. Dobbs has excellent mechanics, throwing a nice, tight spiral and releasing the ball quickly. He sees the field well, makes good decisions and showed more of a commanding presence by his final workout. An aerospace engineering major, his intelligence is off-the-charts and serves him well on the field.”

https://www.memphisdailynews.com/news/2017/feb/3/back-to-back-dak-dobbs-shines-at-senior-bowl/

---------------

He can definitely be coached

Last edited:

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Don't think it's fair to compare him to rgiii or kordell. Dobbs has an aerospace engineer degree so at least he is smart. Hopefully it will translate on the field

Spike

Reaction score
Buh-bye Landry - that is my motto

Git er done Josh!

Spike

Reaction score
The drunker I get, the better he looks.

If he displaces Landry I will buy a Dobbs jersey

and you know how cheap I am

Stewey

Reaction score
Now this is a comparison I like!

Dak Prescott drafted 135th overall.
Josh Dobbs drafted 135th overall

NFL analyst Ron Jaworski explains why the Dak Prescott-Josh Dobbs ...
https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/.../nfl-analyst-ron-jaworski-explains-dak-prescot...

Why Joshua Dobbs could be the Dak Prescott of the 2017 NFL draft ...
draftwire.usatoday.com/.../why-joshua-dobbs-could-be-the-dak-prescott-of-the-2017-...

Jan 7, 2017 - If you're looking for the 2017 NFL draft's version of Dak Prescott, Tennessee quarterback Joshua Dobbs could be your man.

NFL Network analyst compares Joshua Dobbs to Dak Prescott ...
www.cbssports.com/nfl/.../nfl-network-analyst-compares-joshua-dobbs-to-dak-prescot...

Apr 3, 2017 - The NFL analyst said the Tennessee quarterback is being overlooked - just like Prescott was in last year's draft.

Spike

Reaction score
Ian Rapoport‏Verified account @RapSheet
The #Steelers get their QB in the fourth rounds. Its #Tennessee QB Josh Dobbs… Will compete with Landry Jones

Knock him out Josh!

Spike

Reaction score
That explains that..he tore his ACL twice?

Next

Jake Butt | Tight End

Butt tore his right ACL and meniscus in 2014 and re-tore the ACL in December’s Orange Bowl. Butt is a traditional in-line tight end with reliable hands and adequate blocking ability. He profiles similarly to the current NFL version of Zach Ertz. Butt may be forced to "redshirt" his rookie year, but he has a chance to develop into a lower-end starter

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/12254/jake-butt

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Dobbs had a big game against Va Tech earlier last season. Entertaining. I think another camp body to push Landry and Mettenberger though

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Only stupid pick so far. Chances of you getting your guy in the 4th one in a hundred. You will be using a premium pick next year or year after latest. You have two backups on the roster. Terrible move.
Don't be a hater...
Except maybe for the brains part. Wright had a 16 on his Wonderlic.

Actually thought Dobbs would be higher with all of the "rocket scientist" banter, but he scored only a 29.

Did Landry score higher on his Wonderlic???

skialta

Reaction score
three pages and not one of you ******* brought up the fact that this will fill the void of black reserve qb?
slipping i tell ya

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Did Landry score higher on his Wonderlic???

Actually, no, Jones scored a 28. Why?

I just thought Dobbs would have more like a Ryan Fitzpatrick-type score in the upper 40s, since everyone is talking about how smart he is.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Actually, no, Jones scored a 28. Why?

I just thought Dobbs would have more like a Ryan Fitzpatrick-type score in the upper 40s, since everyone is talking about how smart he is.

Peyton Manning scored only in the 20s on his wonderlic.

The test is pretty flawed, as it pertains to specifically measuring intelligence. I honestly think it's designed to weed out the true numbskulls.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Peyton Manning scored only in the 20s on his wonderlic.

The test is pretty flawed, as it pertains to specifically measuring intelligence. I honestly think it's designed to weed out the true numbskulls.

With all due respect to Manning, he was a speech comm major. Dobbs completed UT's 5-year aerospace engineering program in 4 years.

And as far as the Wonderlic goes, it doesn't only measure intelligence, it also tests one's ability to think and make decisions quickly. It's 50 questions, but only 12 minutes long; I'm sure a lot of these guys can't come close to completing it...maybe that's why Kordell scored a 14.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Only stupid pick so far. Chances of you getting your guy in the 4th one in a hundred. You will be using a premium pick next year or year after latest. You have two backups on the roster. Terrible move.

The chances are he's more like the next Tee Martin than the next Peyton Manning.

Too many good players still on the board. Would have liked the pick better in rounds 5-7.