• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers draft Joshua Dobbs 4th round

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...ft-player-profiles-tennessee-qb-joshua-dobbs/
joshdobbs-1.jpg

Last edited:

Stewey

Reaction score
Pro comparison RGIII??? Please no!

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-scouting-report-for-pittsburgh-steelers-pick

Joshua Dobbs NFL Draft 2017: Scouting Report for Pittsburgh Steelers' Pick
Matt Miller

Mark Humphrey/Associated Press

Combine Results

Height Weight 40 Time Hand Size 3-Cone
6'3" 216 lbs 4.64s 9 1/4" 6.75s

POSITIVES

A starter for two-and-a-half seasons—including four games as a true freshman—Dobbs once looked like a candidate to change positions for the NFL. He's now seen as a solid developmental quarterback after a strong senior campaign and an excellent showing at the Senior Bowl and combine. Dobbs is a well-developed athlete with explosive qualities as a runner and thrower. Watching him throw live, you see sweet velocity and good movement on the ball when throwing with arc and touch. Dobbs has the instincts to put the ball in a place to let his receiver make a play on it—especially with deep balls. As a runner, Dobbs is good enough to be dangerous on RPOs and can also slide to escape pressure. An aerospace engineering major, Dobbs won’t struggle to learn the concepts of an NFL offense.

NEGATIVES

Dobbs doesn’t pass the eye test on Saturdays as a great quarterback, and there aren’t many guys winning games on Sundays who weren’t exceptional college quarterbacks. Dobbs was average in terms of accuracy on intermediate passes and can get baited into poor throws into coverage. His lower-body mechanics need a ton of work, as he’s too often over-striding and leaving his legs unbalanced and off target when throwing. Without having a rocket arm, Dobbs isn’t able to deliver off-platform throws on the money nor thread the needle. His decision-making has been unimpressive.

PRO COMPARISON: Robert Griffin III, Free Agent

FINAL GRADE: 5.99/9.00 (Future Starter—Round 4)

Last edited:

Spike

Reaction score
Space alien!

dobbsPIC_zpskmnfitgi.jpg

We got us a Rocket Scientist!!! Welcome aboard Joshua Dobbs!

USATSI_9777626-650x342.jpg

Buh-bye Landry!

At first I was like WHAT?

I wanted Butt, he was there for the taking!

Then I was like - yeah!

A drone man!

C4jue62XAAAb_rl.jpg

Taking flight: Savvy QB Joshua Dobbs looks to defy labels in NFL

Don’t reduce Joshua Dobbs to the aerospace engineering major who plays quarterback, even if he’s probably the only prospect who will travel to Arizona the week before the NFL draft to test a model airplane he’s building with his senior design class in a competition.

For that matter, Dobbs doesn’t think he should be reduced to a so-called “dual-threat QB” whose legs were as much a weapon as his arm at the University of Tennessee.

“Everyone’s going to try to label my skills and abilities, try to put me in a box that’s going to define me,” Dobbs told USA TODAY Sports recently by phone. “But at the end of the day, I don’t abide by those labels. The only thing I really care about is my own.

“I know that when I step on the field, I create another dimension – with my leadership, with my ability to make every throw on the field, with my ability to extend plays if needed to at times. If you go back and look at my stats throughout my last five games, I had like a (74.2%) completion percentage, threw for (12) touchdowns, ran for (seven) more. I know what I can do on the field.

“At the end of the day, I’m trying to be the best Josh Dobbs I can be. If I continue to do that, I’ll be as successful as I want to be.”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...tennessee-aerospace-engineer-major/100129202/

Last edited:

CorpusDsteelers

Reaction score
Strengths
Has the ball handling and release quickness to get the ball out early when challenged by sudden pressure. Able to get through progressions to the check down option. Throws a tight spiral with adequate drive velocity. Eye-catching deep pass accuracy (47.7 completion percentage) with 14 touchdowns on throws 21-plus yards. Displayed good mental toughness. Can make timely exits from the pocket and win with his feet against overzealous rushers who vacate their rush lanes. Has explosive ability as a runner. Offers a team packaged-play potential in short yardage situations.

From nfl.com

mdk2

Reaction score
Just from hearing stories about his love for aerospace engineering, I think he'll be out of football within 6 years.
He's constantly competing in rocket science competitions and I think that is his true passion.
We will be drafting another QB in a few years, he is not the future.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Just from hearing stories about his love for aerospace engineering, I think he'll be out of football within 6 years.
He's constantly competing in rocket science competitions and I think that is his true passion.
We will be drafting another QB in a few years, he is not the future.

If he can manage to upgrade Landry I'll be happy............

Spike

Reaction score
Meet Josh Dobbs, The Ultra-Intelligent Tennessee Quarterback Who's Ready to Take On The NFL

Josh Dobbs lived a double life at the University of Tennessee.

On Saturdays, he led the Volunteers explosive offense against whatever ferocious SEC defense was on the schedule. Weekdays, he could be found deep within the Nathan G. Dougherty Engineering Building, deciphering heat convection equations and analyzing Castigliano's Theorem while working toward his degree in aerospace engineering.

Thus is the life of one of the most intriguing prospects in the 2017 NFL Draft class. Dobbs's unique blend of athletic prowess and academic aptitude began taking shape during his childhood in Alpharetta, Georgia. At 5 years old, he attended his first organized football practice. His parents were under the impression it was of the flag variety, but they were mistaken—this was full pads, full tackle football. Dobbs excelled at sports right away, playing basketball and baseball in addition to football. His parents preached the important of academics from the start, but it didn't take much convincing for Dobbs to take schoolwork seriously.

"My parents set the record straight by making academics really important and teaching me I couldn't play sports forever. You have to go to school and take advantage of the classroom," Dobbs says. Soon enough, he discovered an interest in the field he would later major in. A trip to Kennedy Space Center while he was in elementary school sparked his fascination with aviation, and participation in the Atlanta OBAP (Organization of Black Aerospace Professionals) and a Tuskegee Airman ACE (Aviation Career Education) summer camp later solidified it.

From a young age, Dobbs was also fiercely competitive. His father, Robert, taught him that it's good to be fiery, but that he also must not let his emotions overwhelm him. "I was competitive. When I'd lose, I'd get frustrated, I'd cry. I'd show my emotions. My dad told me that no matter how competitive you are, [it's important to be] mentally tough," Dobbs says.

As Dobbs matured, the expectations he set for himself both athletically and academically grew along with him. "I remember throughout high school, a big thing I started doing was running through my neighborhood at night. Every night I was trying to improve, because I felt like there were other guys out there working and trying to get to where I wanted to be," Dobbs says. "I would time myself every night and try to improve." He also began taking physics classes in high school, which combined his love of mathematics with his love of science. It was there that he realized engineering was the field he eventually wanted to pursue.

Dobbs's abilities on the football field and in the classroom at Alpharetta High School helped him earn the attention of a wide range of college programs. Powerhouses like TCU, Arizona State and Mississippi State made offers to him, but so did Harvard, Yale and Princeton. Eventually, Dobbs settled on the University of Tennessee. The fact that the school offered an aerospace engineering degree was a deciding factor.

"Growing up, my parents wanted me to be a lawyer," Dobbs says. "[Eventually] I learned that engineering was what I wanted to go into. Then aerospace and my love of aviation [I developed] throughout middle school and elementary school, it's the ideal major."

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Dobbs graduated from the Alpharetta school district with 13 years of perfect attendance.

At Tennessee, Dobbs' ability to juggle school and sports was tested further. High school math classes suddenly became courses with names like Structural Analysis of Aerospace Vehicles. Bleacher stadiums in north Georgia suddenly became the modern coliseums of the SEC. The stage was bigger than ever, but Dobbs remained focused. During his freshman season at UT, he often looked to Curt Maggitt for guidance.

No game was more exhausting in Dobbs's career than last season's win over Florida. Heading into the matchup, the Gators had won 11 straight games against the Volunteers—including a last-minute comeback in 2015. It looked like it would be more of the same after the first half, as the Gators went into the locker room with a commanding 21-3 lead. Dobbs went on to throw four touchdown passes in the second half, and the Volunteers would storm back for an electrifying 38-28 victory.

" left everything on the field," Dobbs says. "You definitely want to walk off the field with that feeling. There's nothing more satisfying than knowing you left it all out on the field—especially when you get the victory."

Dobbs saved one of his best performances at UT for his last game in a Volunteer uniform. Against Nebraska in the 2016 Music City Bowl, Dobbs compiled 291 passing yards, 118 rushing yards, four total touchdowns and zero interceptions. The performance solidified Dobbs' potential as a future NFL quarterback, which is where we stand today.

To prepare for the NFL Combine and his Pro Day, Dobbs trained at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida. For most prospects who turn their attention to the NFL, school typically becomes an afterthought, but not for Dobbs. He flew back to Knoxville on weekends so he could continue his academic work. The constant travel was a drain, but when has Dobbs ever been one to take the easy route?

IMG's Combine preparation program is rigorous, packing a dizzying amount of mental and physical training into each 13-hour work day. Dobbs was engrossed in every second of it, but when other players finally got a chance to unwind, he hopped on a plane back to Knoxville to face the final trials of his challenging major. It didn't take long for Dr. Taryn Morgan, IMG's Assistant Director of Athletic and Personal Development, to see that Dobbs was wired differently.

"He's an impressive kid. You know he's smart. But what he's been able to manage—finishing up his degree in aerospace engineering, traveling back and forth from Tennessee, he went to the Senior Bowl. But what I love is that he always wants to get better and always wants to learn," Morgan told STACK. "He's always locked in. He's always focused in."

Occasionally, Dobbs's aerospace expertise would manifest itself at IMG. He often used his personal drone to film his quarterback throwing sessions. Dobbs was also an elite performer in IMG's Mind Gym—a classroom above the academy's weight room stuffed with high-tech gadgets designed to challenge an athlete's hand-eye coordination, peripheral vision, reaction time and depth perception. The exercises are meant to stress the athletes and see how well they respond under pressure. Dobbs navigated them all with scary precision. One drill, for which Dobbs wore 3D glasses, required him to keep track of the flight of 9 different balls on a screen while physically sliding either left or right to avoid virtual obstacles. He focused on the screen with his hands clutching an imaginary football, nimbly avoiding obstacles while expertly processing the path of each ball.

"The Mind Gym is very beneficial, because your brain is what really separates you. Everyone is fast and everyone is strong on the field," Dobbs says.

If there were ever any questions about Dobbs' raw athleticism, he answered them at the NFL Combine with a 6.75 3-Cone Drill (the fastest time among all quarterbacks) and a 4.64 40-Yard Dash (the second-fastest time among all quarterbacks).

On paper, Dobbs might seem like a surefire first-round pick. A tall, talented genius of a quarterback who checks off every intangible and has had success in the hyper-competitive SEC? There's certainly a lot to like. But the NFL is finicky, especially when it comes to quarterbacks. That's why Dobbs isn't overly concerned with when he'll go in the Draft—he's more focused on using this time to make himself the best player possible.

"[The Draft] is not the final step," he says. "Everyone wants to hear their name called, and I'll be excited when that day comes. But I also want to go on to have a long and successful career in the NFL. I'm preparing to be a better football player when I step on the field with whatever team I'm with."

http://www.stack.com/a/tennessee-qb-josh-dobbs-nfl-draft

Spike

Reaction score
If he can manage to upgrade Landry I'll be happy............

Landry is GONE!

Can't wait for preseason games now

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter
Just saying:

Last year Dallas used 135th pick on QB Dak Prescott.

This year Steelers used 135th pick on Tennessee QB Josh Dobbs.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Only stupid pick so far. Chances of you getting your guy in the 4th one in a hundred. You will be using a premium pick next year or year after latest. You have two backups on the roster. Terrible move.

Reactions: xjx

mdk2

Reaction score
Landry is GONE!

Can't wait for preseason games now

Adam Schefter ✔ @AdamSchefter
Just saying:

Last year Dallas used 135th pick on QB Dak Prescott.

This year Steelers used 135th pick on Tennessee QB Josh Dobbs.

I'll hold off on proclaiming Prescott a great QB.. I remember when RG3 was going to be really good after his first year. Prescott was largely good because of their run game.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I'll hold off on proclaiming Prescott a great QB.. I remember when RG3 was going to be really good after his first year. Prescott was largely good because of their run game.

We don't have a good run game?

Spike

Reaction score
You have two backups on the roster.

Neither one of which should even be on the team

If this is what it takes to dump Landry ******* Jones - I'm in

The rest is gravy

Go Josh!

mdk2

Reaction score
We don't have a good run game?

My point is, neither are going to be very good QBs. So in order for them to be game managers which is their ceilings, they need strong running games and good defenses. We have one of those two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
If you want a pro comp for Dobbs, I'd use Anthony Wright, the former Steeler QB that bounced around the league a while, even starting some games. Dobbs was often running for his life at Tennessee, hard to throw from your back.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I start putting together a top 6, before I can finish, three are gone. :chug:

Spike

Reaction score
Has anyone ever asked Dobbs if he wants to play WR?

Roy92040

Senor Blues
Contributor
Reaction score
Only time will tell if he'll be able to replace Big Ben. But for right now he's got to be better than Landry Jones. And what's all this comparison crap with RGIII? Wasn't he suppose to be **** hot special when he was drafted?

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
If you want a pro comp for Dobbs, I'd use Anthony Wright, the former Steeler QB that bounced around the league a while, even starting some games. Dobbs was often running for his life at Tennessee, hard to throw from your back.

Except maybe for the brains part. Wright had a 16 on his Wonderlic.

Actually thought Dobbs would be higher with all of the "rocket scientist" banter, but he scored only a 29.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

I'm not ready to enshine Prescott in Canton either, but he at least showed he could operate in a pro-style offense. In Griffin's rookie year, the Shannahans ran a variation of the Baylor offense. The league adjusted, and that was that.

There are a lot similarities between Dobbs and Prescott. Whether the Steelers can tighten up Dobbs' mechanics enough to significantly improve his overall accuracy, like the Cowboys were able to do with Prescott, is the question.

It's not likely, as the case with Prescott was a rare one. Typically, if a QB is a mess from a mechanical/accuracy standpoint in college, he's always going to be, as things like muscle memory and force of habit take hold.

Reactions: GMC

Spike

Reaction score
Chucky Hodges is a good name, I trust him

Pick him, Ben likes his tall targets

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Shaking my head especially with Butt still there in a position we need NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. Looks to be a wasted pick when we need other positions more than a QB. We have heard nothing but Jones is the back up QB.