• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Steelers draft Joshua Dobbs 4th round

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I would abandon any thoughts of this guy ever being our starter. He is not an NFL starting QB and just don't think he ever will be. He will hang around a few years, get frustrated and get on with his life's work as he should. The world has bigger plans for Mr. Dobbs talents as an engineer than carrying a clipboard around.
We will need to draft our starter in round one in 2018
or 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

I would not state he has no chance of being a starter. I will agree the odds are definitely stacked against him but I like the fact the Steelers drafted someone to groom. Even if it's a 1 in 20 shot he becomes a decent starter I am ok with it. Because I feel worst case scenario he becomes the bridge between Roethlisberger and a 1st round pick. And again a decent backup who can at least keep you in games.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I would not state he has no chance of being a starter. I will agree the odds are definitely stacked against him but I like the fact the Steelers drafted someone to groom. Even if it's a 1 in 20 shot he becomes a decent starter I am ok with it. Because I feel worst case scenario he becomes the bridge between Roethlisberger and a 1st round pick. And again a decent backup who can at least keep you in games.

honestly if he will not ever be a good starter I rather he sucks badly enough so we can take a very high QB in the draft, the one that we really want and not one we settle with

Spike

Reaction score
Ben serious about retirement

Former teammate Willie Colon said Ben Roethlisberger "seriously" considered retirement this offseason.

"I got to sit down and talk to him and one thing he told me is he did take it seriously," Colon said on PFT Live. "He’s dealt with a lot of injuries." The Steelers did not seem particularly concerned about the retirement rumors this spring, but perhaps they should be moving forward. Ben will turn 36 next March and could take retirement even more "seriously" if he deals with injuries again this season.

Perhaps preparing for the future, the Steelers drafted Josh Dobbs in the fourth round of this year's draft.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...roethlisberger-seriously-considered-retiring/

FordFairLane

Reaction score
honestly if he will not ever be a good starter I rather he sucks badly enough so we can take a very high QB in the draft, the one that we really want and not one we settle with

But we could draft early and end up with RG3, Jake Locker, Blaine Gabbert, Christian Ponder, Mark Sanchez ect... I understand the odds are better drafting a QB early but it is far from guaranteed. Dobbs is in a perfect place to sit, learn, practice, weight train, and improve. He actually is in a very much Aaron Rodgers type situation where he can sit and learn for 2-3 years before having to start. Might be a better situation because from all accounts Favre wanted NOTHING to do with Rodgers so lets see if Mr. Roethlisberger takes Mr. Dobbs under his wing a little and helps the kid. I see Ben talking to the other QB's all the time on the sideline and even more when he's hurt and not playing. If he really feels he is going to retire soon why wouldn't he help his young teammate?

I guess what I am saying is after 2-3 years with nothing but football to study and focus on we should know if Dobbs is ready or not. Maybe not us as much but the coaches who see him practice everyday and see him in the film room and weight room should know what they have. If he hasn't developed draft a QB early and let them fight it out. Any way I look at it there WILL be growing pains after Ben hangs them up!

ark steel

Reaction score
I would be shocked, and pleasantly surprised, if Dobbs is any more than a back up. Even if you know nothing about Dobbs, his play, intellect, etc. it is, statistically, a long shot that a QB drafted beyond the 2nd round turns into anything.

Dak and Tom are the exceptions, not the rule.