• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So now Bell is questioning our practices

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
He made them run one play over again, wow. If it was just this game, then ok that happens, but 30 penalties over the past 3 games is a trend.

one among many bad trends

y
e
p

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
He made them run one play over again, wow. If it was just this game, then ok that happens, but 30 penalties over the past 3 games is a trend.

And they have officials at practice every Friday..I mean if you read this bed his does nothing. He's not engaged he isn't proactive to issues(penalties). But when someone tells you something different it still doesn't mean anything.

ark steel

Reaction score
League average appears to be 8.41 penalties per game. Steelers are at 8.5. 8.5/game has them at 19th in the league. A couple of teams who people here revere as good coaches with a handle on their teams...

9.1 (29 over the last three games)
9.2 (29 over the last three games)
8.3 (20 over the last three games)

What did Tomlin do different from the Jets game (1 penalty) to the last game (13)?

ark steel

Reaction score

just one or just one that was reported?

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
League average appears to be 8.41 penalties per game. Steelers are at 8.5. 8.5/game has them at 19th in the league. A couple of teams who people here revere as good coaches with a handle on their teams...

9.1 (29 over the last three games)
9.2 (29 over the last three games)
8.3 (20 over the last three games)

What did Tomlin do different
from the Jets game (1 penalty) to the last game (13)?

My argument has been that because of Tomlin's painful stubbornness and inability to "do different" things, he completely lacks awareness of the ebbs and flows of different games, different opponents, different mentalities and emotional states of his players, etc. He probably didn't do **** differently and THAT'S the problem.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
My argument has been that because of Tomlin's painful stubbornness and inability to "do different" things, he completely lacks awareness of the ebbs and flows of different games, different opponents, different mentalities and emotional states of his players, etc. He probably didn't do **** and THAT"S the problem..

^^^this^^^^

Salute the nation

Reactions: MTC

ark steel

Reaction score
My argument has been that because of Tomlin's painful stubbornness and inability to "do different" things, he completely lacks awareness of the ebbs and flows of different games, different opponents, different mentalities and emotional states of his players, etc. He probably didn't do **** differently and THAT'S the problem.

so he "probably " didn't do ****? lol, what a joke. against the jets, the team had 1 penalty. what did he do to have the team perform with 1 penalty for a game. but then, says, you guys practice the way you want, ima sit over here in my shades.

between the jets game and the next game, he starts telling the guys to comit penalties? does Harbaugh, Ryan and Hoodie do the same?

all are considered better coaches by folks here, but have more, or right at the same penalties per game . they just ******* off at practice , too?

Still want Munchak as HC when it is the OL committing most of the penalties?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
So what exactly is the coach responsible for? The players win and lose the games we've been told. Now practices aren't on him, so is he paid 7 million to do press conferences and decide if we go for it on fourth down or kick the field goal?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
So what exactly is the coach responsible for? The players win and lose the games we've been told. Now practices aren't on him, so is he paid 7 million to do press conferences and decide if we go for it on fourth down or kick the field goal?

Should never have to make that decision as the coaches only call plays that the players have proven they can execute. The plays should therefore be executed 100 percent of the time.

ark steel

Reaction score

more bullshit to deflect from whatever. you guys say he does nothing to solve the problem. What created the problem? Players quit listening to him? why did they listen in the the Jets game? What did Tomlin stop doing between the jets game and the next game?

I gave you three HC's that several people have wanted over Tomlin whose teams have just as bad or worse penalties per game. Do their players not listen?

Another guy you want is directly in charge of of the group committing the most penalties,

it makes no sense when you think it through instead of wildly making unprovable accusations as to what tomlin doesnt do, or try to do.

ark steel

Reaction score
AND, lets add that the person now complaining, had a 15 yard penalty in the last game AND missed three games due to his own issues?

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
one player says one thing, another player says another. you believe one because it fits your preconceived notion?

I will ask again, in a different way. most of the Year's penalties have been by the OL. Munchak is considered, by most here, to be an excellent OL coach and should they should boot Tomlin for Munchak. If the sloppiness of the OL in the penalties, why would you want this?

Hey, if they want to clean house, fine by me. Sucks for munchak, but life isnt fair; he isnt the only person on planet earth that can coach offensive line play.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
And as we read he is doing his part to get it right. So that leaves the players to practice and play better Right. Oh that's right they have tuned him out right. Anything to fit that get rid of him narrative.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

His part?? His "part" isnt good enough, genius, how long will it take you to realize this?? Is there a chunk of brain matter missing from your head that prohibits you from processing such abstract information?

ark steel

Reaction score
Hey, if they want to clean house, fine by me. Sucks for munchak, but life isnt fair; he isnt the only person on planet earth that can coach offensive line play.

fine by me if that is the way you feel. Overall, after three bad games of penaltes, the team matches up against those considered better coaches, on average.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
His part?? His "part" isnt good enough, genius, how long will it take you to realize this?? Is there a chunk of brain matter missing from your head that prohibits you from processing such abstract information?

And neither was the players either so let's get rid of them too. What is it about my opinion that I have to be missing something. What's so factual about your opinion?? At least I try to back mine up with film. You can't even do that just. I said Ben didn't play well. Then proceeded to post plays where he had people open and forced it else where or threw poorly thrown balls. I said the Oline played like ****. When you post something trying to at least backup the bullshit you let me know Omar

Last edited:

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
so he "probably " didn't do ****? lol, what a joke. against the jets, the team had 1 penalty. what did he do to have the team perform with 1 penalty for a game. but then, says, you guys practice the way you want, ima sit over here in my shades.
No, I said he probably didn't do **** DIFFERENTLY, which is confirmed by the players. So, no, I'm going by what the team is saying.

between the jets game and the next game, he starts telling the guys to comit penalties? does Harbaugh, Ryan and Hoodie do the same?
You obviously didn't read what I said. I said he DIDN'T do anything differently. Since, ya know, the players are saying they practiced the same. And yes I do believe Hoodie and those guys approach practices differently depending on the opponent, the way the team has been playing, their confidence, their mental state, etc. They don't just stubbornly do everything the same every week just because it worked before, because that's not how life, especially football, works.

ark steel

Reaction score
No, I said he probably didn't do **** DIFFERENTLY, which is confirmed by the players. So, no, I'm going by what the team is saying.

You obviously didn't read what I said. I said he DIDN'T do anything differently. Since, ya know, the players are saying they practiced the same. And yes I do believe Hoodie and those guys approach practices differently depending on the opponent, the way the team has been playing, their confidence, their mental state, etc. They don't just stubbornly do everything the same every week just because it worked before, because that's not how life, especially football, works.

I don't think you are understanding my question or ignoring it. I will expand.

We are discussing the sloppy practice which, apparently, leads to penalties. Oddly, the guy who's complaining about sloppy practice committed one of those 15 yard penalties and missed three games for being sloppy, but, I digress

Penaltes are a problem (30 in last three games). I don't think anyone disputes that, although some of us seem to realize that even the "great" coaches listed have issue here, too. The TOMLIN MUST BE REPLACED group can't see past "tomlin is terrible, see a player complained". I guess, they also can't see the attempts at solving the problem either (as demonstrated by andrewjosh) when it doesn't fit their preconceived narrative.

So, in the jets game there was 1 penalty. In the MIA game there were 6 (below league average). Followed by a game of 10 and 14. As far as penalties (which is what we are discussing with regard to sloppy practice) WTF did you want him to do differently after the Jets game? "Hey guys, you only committed one penalty last game, we need to bring that number up.". **** no, AS FAR AS PENALTIES, you don't want anything done differently, right? Really, the same after the MIA game. Six penalties in a game is pretty good.

now,between the MIA game and the NE game, Tomlin MUST have done something differently, because penalties spiked. Right? You are saying he didn't, but, clearly, the penalties went up. What happened? Tomlin, again, telling his team to commit more? Sloppy practice? Why weren't practices sloppy before the Jets and MIA games? You say he didn't do anything different, but penalties went up and it is his fault. If penalties were 1, then 6, AND he doesn't do anything differently why did practices become sloppy? The logic doesn't follow.

as far as penalties go, because we are discussing sloppy practices leading to penalties, what is Hoodie doing wrong? He has less than .2 less penalties per game. He have sloppy practices, too? he's the greatest bestest coach ever, yet his players commit as many penalties as the team that plays for a ****** HC. Again, makes no sense.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I don't think you are understanding my question or ignoring it. I will expand.

We are discussing the sloppy practice which, apparently, leads to penalties. Oddly, the guy who's complaining about sloppy practice committed one of those 15 yard penalties and missed three games for being sloppy, but, I digress

Penaltes are a problem (30 in last three games). I don't think anyone disputes that, although some of us seem to realize that even the "great" coaches listed have issue here, too. The TOMLIN MUST BE REPLACED group can't see past "tomlin is terrible, see a player complained". I guess, they also can't see the attempts at solving the problem either (as demonstrated by andrewjosh) when it doesn't fit their preconceived narrative.

So, in the jets game there was 1 penalty. In the MIA game there were 6 (below league average). Followed by a game of 10 and 14. As far as penalties (which is what we are discussing with regard to sloppy practice) WTF did you want him to do differently after the Jets game? "Hey guys, you only committed one penalty last game, we need to bring that number up.". **** no, AS FAR AS PENALTIES, you don't want anything done differently, right? Really, the same after the MIA game. Six penalties in a game is pretty good.

now,between the MIA game and the NE game, Tomlin MUST have done something differently, because penalties spiked. Right? You are saying he didn't, but, clearly, the penalties went up. What happened? Tomlin, again, telling his team to commit more? Sloppy practice? Why weren't practices sloppy before the Jets and MIA games? You say he didn't do anything different, but penalties went up and it is his fault. If penalties were 1, then 6, AND he doesn't do anything differently why did practices become sloppy? The logic doesn't follow.

as far as penalties go, because we are discussing sloppy practices leading to penalties, what is Hoodie doing wrong? He has less than .2 less penalties per game. He have sloppy practices, too? he's the greatest bestest coach ever, yet his players commit as many penalties as the team that plays for a ****** HC. Again, makes no sense.

The players need to PLAY better. Could that be a alternative??

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever, I'm done trying to make the blind see the light. It's not worth arguing over any more. I'm just going to sit back, enjoy the good times the Steelers might have, and expect the eventual early exit from the playoffs each year, assuming they continue to make the playoffs. We have been a middling team the last 5 years, we ARE a middling team now, and we WILL be a middling team until changes are made at the top. This roster has a TON of talent, talent that SHOULD be able to place themselves among the league's elite teams, but alas, that's really not the case. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if that changes, going forward.

It is what it is.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
It's becoming known as "The Riverdance," that jig-like soccer maneuver Chris Boswell tried -- and failed -- to execute during the Steelers' onside kick attempt Sunday in Baltimore.
Boswell attempted to strike the ball with his left foot after faking with his right, but it hit his right calf and fell harmlessly off the tee.
It looked silly but the Steelers had the play set up for success with four men on the right side compared to the Ravens' three. And Boswell confirmed that he executed the play successfully 11 consecutive times at last Friday's practice.
"Yeah, we stayed out extra, just like we always do," Boswell said. "Just didn't do it in the game."
Boswell is well regarded by the coaching staff, even more so after he walked into the meeting room Monday and accepted blame for the team's loss.
"I didn't give them a chance to recover it at all, so I didn't do my job," he said on Wednesday. "That's what I'm here for. I'm here to give them a chance. I don't take what I do lightly, so not giving them a chance is very big to me."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1726406-notebook-dupree-green-practice-update

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
This, of course, comes on the heels of a penalty and mistake-filled loss at Baltimore, after which Le'Veon Bell said, "I think we have to practice better. Even at practice we have mistakes like that."
The remark grew into a media assault on the Steelers' preparation process throughout this three-game losing streak.
Heyward addressed the topic.
"That's his own opinion," Heyward said. "But guys are working. Guys are putting in the effort. Sometimes it might be a little sloppy. Sometimes we have to replay a play. That's just because we want a good look. If he feels that way, let him feel that way, and that means practice has got to pick up even more. But I thought today was a good practice."
Heyward explained that last week's practices included "a lot of moving pieces." He, like Roethlisberger, was returning from an injury and coaches had to balance reps for the injured with reps for potential replacements in case the injured couldn't make it back.
"There's a fine line," Heyward said. "Everybody's got to get work."
Would he characterize those practices as sloppy? Were coaches letting things go?
"Oh, nobody's letting things go," Heyward said. "I think if anything we might have to replay a play. If a guy's not catching a ball, you've got to make adjustments. But I don't think they were bad practices.
"We don't practice perfect but we try to. That's the ultimate goal because you want to get ready for Sunday. And when you don't get the job done on Sunday, you look back on it and say 'there are other things I could've done.'"
Heyward added that he did sense an urgency Wednesday at the Steelers' first practice in preparation for the Cowboys.
"But it's got to be present on Sunday," he said. "We can sit here and say it was present today, but we've got to feel it on Sunday. We've got to make sure that we play our best football on Sunday."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1726408-steelers-follow-ben-through-urgent-practice

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Well this goes back to when Cowher was here, teams that get penalized alot, it falls at the feet of the coach, most of the Pittsburgh media have said as much too, Stan, Madden, Dejan, etc. etc.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Well this goes back to when Cowher was here, teams that get penalized alot, it falls at the feet of the coach, most of the Pittsburgh media have said as much too, Stan, Madden, Dejan, etc. etc.

As the head coach everything falls at the feet of the coach but there are some things only the players can change

ark steel

Reaction score

He does have ultimate responsibility. While the last two games have been bad, overall, we are not much different than a lot of teams, i.e. not as bad as the last two games look.

The point I am trying to get at is:

1.) Even the Great Hoodie has over 8 penalties per game, approximately, that of Tomlin. This indicates that the solution of firing Tomlin doesn't "fix" that problem. In fact, his proposed replacement, if you look at it, might be worse as it is HIS group that commits the most penalties. Particularly, the drive killers.

2.) Tomlin was coaching the team when they had 1 penalty in a game followed by 6. Did he, suddenly, tell players to practice and play sloppy? did they lose respect for him? If they did, have the players of Harbaugh, Ryan and Hoodie also lost respect for their coaches? If penalties are an indication of no listening to coaches, there is no other explanation.

DeCastro has struggled this season. He is second on the team in penalties. Do you bench him? DeCastro had 3 penalties last year (accepted, I think, not total). In 8 games this year, he has 4 Holding and 2 FS calls. What has Tomlin told him to cause this regression? Villanueva had 3 penalties last season, but didn't play the whole year. This year, he has 6. What happened there?