• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So now Bell is questioning our practices

black and gold apex

Reaction score
This team has the Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde effect. Now the players are pointing fingers, this team has no leaders and the head coach has lost touch with them. You can see this season going down real quick if they don't show something this week.

ark steel

Reaction score
Bell was one of those 15 yard penalties.

Coryea, it looks like 35 over the last three games, although that, I believe, is total, not accepted., This follows up a jets game where there was only 1. What did Tomlin do different from the Jets game to the last game?

A bunch of people here think Harbaugh is a better coach. His team had 10 penalties and 29 over the last 3 games. Are you off that bandwagon, now?

For Offensive Holding, FS, Def PI,illegal formation nnecessary roughness, facemask and illegal block in the back, we are in the bottom half of the league in all except for PI (13th). What are the other coaches doing in their practices? Burns leads the team, btw, with 7. The most penalties are Offensive holding and False Start (15 and 11). Almost all of both are OL penalties. The OL coach in Munchak. You want him to take over because Tomlin's team has too many penalties?

The greatest awesomest bestest coach in the world's team has 66 penalties on the year. ONE less than the Terrible Tomlins for an average of about 0.5 yards per penalty

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
This team has the Dr Jekyll and Mr. Hyde effect. Now the players are pointing fingers, this team has no leaders and the head coach has lost touch with them. You can see this season going down real quick if they don't show something this week.

^^^Sadly this^^^

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
I have posted quotes from both Ben and Harrison saying prep and practice are not the problem. Those were ignored. Now Bell says they had a couple of bad practices and everyone chimes in. Bad practices happen under every coach in the history of football. Sometimes I truly wish the Steelers let the man go so we can be done with this nonsense.

Bad practices happen under every coach? So now practices aren't the coach's responsibility either. I seriously have no idea what you think a coach does. Apparently nothing. If nothing is his fault then he must not be responsible for much.

done with this nonsense? Are you implying Tomlin is being criticized because he is black and a new coach would not face the same? Cowher was constantly trashed on this board.

i can't speak to what is in everybody's heart when they criticize Tomlin, but it's a fact that he has many glaring flaws that deserve this appropriate criticism.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Bell said on Monday that the Steelers’ sloppy practice habits of late has led to sloppy play during games.

Tomlin didn’t hesitate to agree with his star running back.

“I agree,” Tomlin said. “When you’re playing like that, that’s a natural response and an appropriate one. We work to practice as cleanly as we can practice.”

Tomlin was extremely engaged in practice in the week leading up to the Ravens’ game. He continued to hammer home points and even forced the offense to do a play over at one point because he didn’t like how it was executed

Still, it didn’t translate into the game as the Steelers made many mental mistakes that help lead to 13 penalties for 99 yards. They’ve committed 23 penalties over their past two games — both losses.

That has happened before. The Steelers had a spurt in 2014 of games where they were highly penalized. It cumulated with a 13-penalty, 125-yard game against the winless Buccaneers that led to an embarrassing 27-24 loss.

Tomlin brought in officials during practice and it had quick results. The following week, they were flagged five times for 50 yards in a win at Jacksonville. It has been now scaled back to once a week for the officials.

“We bring officials to our practice, for example, on Fridays to place an emphasis on the possession-down work that happens on Friday, and how clean we need to play in that area,” Tomlin said. “But you need nothing more than to look at the quality of our play a week ago to make that determination, so that’s no earth-shattering statement.”

Tomlin could bring back officials for all three practices starting on Wednesday.

“I’m open to all of those things,” Tomlin said. “Whatever we need to do in an effort to play better.”

Steelerfan

Reaction score
Captain Sweatpants has no standing to comment on practices, so he should stfu until he completes an entire season.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Bell said on Monday that the Steelers’ sloppy practice habits of late has led to sloppy play during games.

“I agree,” Tomlin said. “When you’re playing like that, that’s a natural response and an appropriate one. We work to practice as cleanly as we can practice.”

Tomlin was extremely engaged in practice in the week leading up to the Ravens’ game. He continued to hammer home points and even forced the offense to do a play over at one point because he didn’t like how it was executed

Still, it didn’t translate into the game as the Steelers made many mental mistakes that help lead to 13 penalties for 99 yards. They’ve committed 23 penalties over their past two games — both losses.

That has happened before. The Steelers had a spurt in 2014 of games where they were highly penalized. It cumulated with a 13-penalty, 125-yard game against the winless Buccaneers that led to an embarrassing 27-24 loss.

Tomlin brought in officials during practice and it had quick results. The following week, they were flagged five times for 50 yards in a win at Jacksonville. It has been now scaled back to once a week for the officials.

“We bring officials to our practice, for example, on Fridays to place an emphasis on the possession-down work that happens on Friday, and how clean we need to play in that area,” Tomlin said. “But you need nothing more than to look at the quality of our play a week ago to make that determination, so that’s no earth-shattering statement.”

Tomlin could bring back officials for all three practices starting on Wednesday.

“I’m open to all of those things,” Tomlin said. “Whatever we need to do in an effort to play better.”

Tomlin is great at the press conferences. He's great at "acknowledging" problems. If this was his 2nd or 3rd year, i'd give him benefit of the doubt. But he's been here a long time and we see the same **** over and over.

I no longer care about him telling me he sees the problem. I want it fixed. That's the coach's job.

A big problem is that there are no leaders on this team. Ben isn't really a leader. AB is not a leader. Pouncey seems like he's a borderline negative in terms of attitude.

Players on a championship caliber team should be profesional enough to hold themselves to a standard, but if they don't then the coach has to step in.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

I just love how things like this ignored and glossed over. The man was on his teams *** all week and made them practice plays over that he didn't like..but wait he doesn't do anything. We have officials at practice every Friday but it's his fault about the penalties. So outside of being on their *** and being proactive about penalties what is he to do? When will it be up to the players to PLAY better? Oh never mind it was all the gameplan Sunday and the last few weeks

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Tuitt dismissed the media backlash that the Steelers went into Sunday's game lacking intensity.
"I don't know how many rushing yards they had, or what they averaged, but when you do that to a team, it takes energy. That's not just oh-any-given-Sunday type of stuff. That's going in there with a game plan you worked on during the week and executing it. That's energy, you know what I mean? Especially against a team whose running back broke 30, 40-yard runs against other teams week in and week out. We stopped that running back. I think their quarterback had the longest run. It was a scramble, and if it wasn't for that scramble, take those yards out and the stats are even better."
Take out Joe Flacco's 14-yard scramble and the Ravens rushed 28 times for 36 yards, 1.3 per carry.

The normally jovial Foster was understandably in a bad way when reporters mobbed him to ask why the team was so penalized (13 for 99 yards). Was it a lack of discipline?
"It's not discipline. It's an execution thing," Foster said. "All of us have to be pros in how we conduct our ways on Sundays, or whenever we're playing."
Someone who no doubt blamed the coach asked Foster if it bothers him to hear people blame the coach.
"It doesn't bother me, he said. "I know it definitely doesn't bother him, in the sense we've got to be steadfast in what we're doing. We can't blink. We can't be a team that points the finger. Those penalties happened individually. It hurts us as a team, though, so we've got to correct those things."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1725656-inside-the-locker-room

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Bad practices happen under every coach? So now practices aren't the coach's responsibility either. I seriously have no idea what you think a coach does. Apparently nothing. If nothing is his fault then he must not be responsible for much.

done with this nonsense? Are you implying Tomlin is being criticized because he is black and a new coach would not face the same? Cowher was constantly trashed on this board.

i can't speak to what is in everybody's heart when they criticize Tomlin, but it's a fact that he has many glaring flaws that deserve this appropriate criticism.

I guess I don't express myself well enough when out comes to Tomlin. I couldnt care less what his nationality is. It doesn't matter to me. Once a coach has proven he can coach to me I'm good. The man proved that to me along time ago. Two super bowl appearances I'm good he can coach. Bill Cowher didn't just learn to coach in 2005 just because he finally win the big one. He had proved he could coach to me by 95 if not before. Championship losses not withstanding. He could coach. He my coach. So when he had his rough years I NEVER called for his head. I said the same thing I'm saying now the PLAYERS must play better. Tomlin is not a perfect no coach is. He has his flaws Every coach does. I don't defend him because he is black I defend him because to me he has proven he can coach a long time ago. I'm past that. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he does. But I do try to understand his reasons for his coaching methods. Without calling him idiot or stupid. I didn't always agree with Cowher. When I was younger I absolutely hated the cushions we gave to WRs. We had Rod Woodson he can play press Man just like Deion Sanders what the **** are we doing?? Etc etc. But still I loved Bill Cowher and respected him as a coach. Every coach hits rough patches with his teams. Just like players do. There is no magic elixir a coach can sprinkle to get his players to play better they have to do it. If it was Cowher would of sprinkled it in 98 99 03. People ask why I compare the two.. I was too young for Noll for the most part I grew up with Cowher. I read this board religiously back in the day and sorry I don't remember fire Cowher thread dominating the boards like fire Tomlin threads do now. I do remember the get rid of Kordell threads dominating the board back then though. So again I've always been the same once a coach proves to me he can coach I'm good. Go out and execute

ark steel

Reaction score
The Cowher threads were almost as ridiculous as the Tomlin threads.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
kjacksonpgh: Ed, do you believe L Bell’s comments he made public about practice being sloppy are a direct reflection that our coaching staff is not getting their message through to the team?

Ed Bouchette: Actually, I think he was wrong. I’ve watched football practices by the Steelers for 32 years and I have not seen anything different this year as far as any sloppiness.

idea: Perhaps Tomlin could ban the ping pong table in the locker room? Might that help?

Ed Bouchette: Maybe they should START playing because the ping pong table has disappeared and the pool table is only used anymore by the clubhouse guys who drape clothes on it.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...-s-Steelers-chat-11-8-16/stories/201611080143

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
PEOPLE, sure Tomlin has shown he can coach. It's the inconsistencies of his coaching that many here are saddened by. ALL coaches have injury issues and unfortunately we have been hit a little excessive this year. Couple that with poor ability depth, continually playing down to competition, due to penalties we win our first playoff game in five years.................DO YOU see the trend??? We have way above average core offensive players. ****, we are actually stacked on offense yet continually underperform. C-O-A-C-H-I-N-G is what changes that perspective. HEAD coach is the biggest coach and he seems to be lacking in the human characteristics side of coaching. A coach can change attitude / performance ability / drafting talent / make up of identity / etc. ect.............. YOU GET IT !!!!

Salute the nation

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
Tuitt dismissed the media backlash that the Steelers went into Sunday's game lacking intensity.
"I don't know how many rushing yards they had, or what they averaged, but when you do that to a team, it takes energy. That's not just oh-any-given-Sunday type of stuff. That's going in there with a game plan you worked on during the week and executing it. That's energy, you know what I mean? Especially against a team whose running back broke 30, 40-yard runs against other teams week in and week out. We stopped that running back. I think their quarterback had the longest run. It was a scramble, and if it wasn't for that scramble, take those yards out and the stats are even better."
Take out Joe Flacco's 14-yard scramble and the Ravens rushed 28 times for 36 yards, 1.3 per carry.

The normally jovial Foster was understandably in a bad way when reporters mobbed him to ask why the team was so penalized (13 for 99 yards). Was it a lack of discipline?
"It's not discipline. It's an execution thing," Foster said. "All of us have to be pros in how we conduct our ways on Sundays, or whenever we're playing."
Someone who no doubt blamed the coach asked Foster if it bothers him to hear people blame the coach.
"It doesn't bother me, he said. "I know it definitely doesn't bother him, in the sense we've got to be steadfast in what we're doing. We can't blink. We can't be a team that points the finger. Those penalties happened individually. It hurts us as a team, though, so we've got to correct those things."

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1725656-inside-the-locker-room

blah blah blah blah. all I read here is player-speak to insulate their coaches as much as they can, it's easy to see it. and as for bouchette's comments, i'll take them with a grain of salt, I know his history of pandering to the franchise to stay in their good graces.

ark steel

Reaction score
blah blah blah blah. all I read here is player-speak to insulate their coaches as much as they can, it's easy to see it. and as for bouchette's comments, i'll take them with a grain of salt, I know his history of pandering to the franchise to stay in their good graces.

one player says one thing, another player says another. you believe one because it fits your preconceived notion?

I will ask again, in a different way. most of the Year's penalties have been by the OL. Munchak is considered, by most here, to be an excellent OL coach and should they should boot Tomlin for Munchak. If the sloppiness of the OL in the penalties, why would you want this?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Ben, Bell say about the sloppy practices, and Tomlin agrees.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Tomlin agreed and it is said Tomlin was on their *** all week as if he was aware. What more is he to do at that point? When does it become the players responsibility to get it together. He's on them he's making them do plays over. When is on the players to practice play better. If the game plan is to run the ball what's wrong with that. We have one the best offensive lines and RBs in football. What's wrong with trying to establish a Running game..could they have abandoned it quicker yes. But like he said they weren't really trying to expose Ben if they didn't have too. Multiple factors played a part in the gameplan they implemented not working.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tomlin agreed and it is said Tomlin was on their *** all week as if he was aware. What more is he to do at that point? When does it become the players responsibility to get it together. He's on them he's making them do plays over. When is on the players to practice play better. If the game plan is to run the ball what's wrong with that. We have one the best offensive lines and RBs in football. What's wrong with trying to establish a Running game..could they have abandoned it quicker yes. But like he said they weren't really trying to expose Ben if they didn't have too. Multiple factors played a part in the gameplan they implemented not working.

So the players are tuning him out or not listening...imagine that. I can only handle so many cliche's as well.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
If Tomlin agrees and is on their *** , sounds like he loses control once Sunday gets here. This week will tell all us frustrated fans, just how bad the team is or how bad we have reacted.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Tomlin has them ready to play vs good teams.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Or they aren't practicing well, as Tomlin himself said.
And as we read he is doing his part to get it right. So that leaves the players to practice and play better Right. Oh that's right they have tuned him out right. Anything to fit that get rid of him narrative.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
He made them run one play over again, wow. If it was just this game, then ok that happens, but 30 penalties over the past 3 games is a trend.