• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

So now Bell is questioning our practices

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Like I said one game here and there is fine, but this is 3 games in a row, and no not all the penalties are his fault, the 15 yarder by Bell has nothing to do with Tomlin, but there's something going on. We got a delay of game because one of our TE's didn't know where to be, and Johnson looked lost on a few occassions. Maybe he needs to get on Munchak's ***, I'm not sure, but it's his job to figure it out. If it keeps up, then bench decastro for the first series or something, the Jets benched their two stud DT's for being late to meetings.

ark steel

Reaction score
Like I said one game here and there is fine, but this is 3 games in a row, and no not all the penalties are his fault, the 15 yarder by Bell has nothing to do with Tomlin, but there's something going on. We got a delay of game because one of our TE's didn't know where to be, and Johnson looked lost on a few occassions. Maybe he needs to get on Munchak's ***, I'm not sure, but it's his job to figure it out. If it keeps up, then bench decastro for the first series or something, the Jets benched their two stud DT's for being late to meetings.

I would note that it is only, really, 2 games in a row of 10 and 14 penalties. 6 penalties in the MIA game isn't that bad. when you consider that the least penalized team in the league averages just over 6/game. Sill troublesome, but not as bad as a 3rd game streak.

Villanueva, DeCastro and Burns account for 28% of the penalties. Looking more in-depth, 5 of Burn's 7 penalties occurred in the first 4 games. 2 in the last 4. 4 of DeCastro's occurred in games 3 and 4. 2 in the other 6 games. Maybe those issues are corrected. Interestingly, it seems as if each penalty in the last game was a different person. Offhand, that might seem usual for a game with 6 or 7 penalties, but with 14, I would expect multiple offenses by a couple of people.

Before the last two games, we had games with penalties of 4, 5, 7, 9, 1 and 6. That ain't too shabby.

I thought, maybe, yards per penalty might tell more of a story, but, for the season, that matches up pretty well (0.5 yard more than the *'s) with a 7-1 team. Nullified yards is significantly lower than the *'s.

Stalled drives doesn't seem to be significantly different, either.

south dakota STEEL

Forefather
Reaction score
We DESTROY dallas on Sunday...

they are playing well. then we will struggle with Cleveland and teams like them. it's the arroganct...I mean the STEELER way.

diver

Reaction score
Whatever, I'm done trying to make the blind see the light. It's not worth arguing over any more. I'm just going to sit back, enjoy the good times the Steelers might have, and expect the eventual early exit from the playoffs each year, assuming they continue to make the playoffs. We have been a middling team the last 5 years, we ARE a middling team now, and we WILL be a middling team until changes are made at the top. This roster has a TON of talent, talent that SHOULD be able to place themselves among the league's elite teams, but alas, that's really not the case. I'll be (pleasantly) surprised if that changes, going forward.

It is what it is.

I wish one of you guys would explain something to me. Let's say you get everyone to "see the light," as you see the light. Great. Then what? Let's say we all agree. Again, then what? It won't make one bit of difference to anyone in a position to do anything about it, because none of us have any power.

I think Tomlin is doing a lousy job right now, too. But dammit, I can't stand that "I've tried to make you guys see the light" crap.

ark steel

Reaction score
I wish one of you guys would explain something to me. Let's say you get everyone to "see the light," as you see the light. Great. Then what? Let's say we all agree. Again, then what? It won't make one bit of difference to anyone in a position to do anything about it, because none of us have any power.

I think Tomlin is doing a lousy job right now, too. But dammit, I can't stand that "I've tried to make you guys see the light" crap.

I'd just like "the light" to follow some logical conclusion . This thread is about calling out omlin or sloppy practice resulting in penalty filled games. really its been 2 bad ones, several good and some average ones.

every name mentioned as better than Tomlin has near or more penalties but nobody can see past their bias to wonder if these "better" coaches might not be better, after all.

diver

Reaction score
I'd just like "the light" to follow some logical conclusion . This thread is about calling out omlin or sloppy practice resulting in penalty filled games. really its been 2 bad ones, several good and some average ones.

every name mentioned as better than Tomlin has near or more penalties but nobody can see past their bias to wonder if these "better" coaches might not be better, after all.

Yea, I don't blame the coach for some of this stuff, either. I am just somewhat frustrated with this team this year, and it started way back in camp.

I have never in all my years of following the Steelers, and it has been over 40, a training camp in which so little was accomplished. I think that has carried over to the year. I would think they had some goals in camp, such as improving the secondary, improving the pass rush, and getting the TE position squared away. With all of the injuries, and I know that isn't Tomlin's fault, none of that got done. I think they may end up being OK on the backend eventually, but who the hell knows with the pass rush from the OLBs and the TE position. To compound that, and here is where I think Tomlin does deserve blame, is the approach to the preseason. I don't give a **** if they win or lose in the preseason, but I would like to see intensity out there, and I don't think you see that with any consistency in the preseason out of this team. I think that mentality has carried over into the season the last number of years. These immature kids they have right now just seem to think they can turn it on whenever. I wonder if that has been one of Tomlin's mistakes, treating these guys like mature men and expecting them to be professional. I admire him for doing that, that is the way it ought to be. But what ought to be and what is are two different things.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think you are understanding my question or ignoring it. I will expand.

We are discussing the sloppy practice which, apparently, leads to penalties. Oddly, the guy who's complaining about sloppy practice committed one of those 15 yard penalties and missed three games for being sloppy, but, I digress

Penaltes are a problem (30 in last three games). I don't think anyone disputes that, although some of us seem to realize that even the "great" coaches listed have issue here, too. The TOMLIN MUST BE REPLACED group can't see past "tomlin is terrible, see a player complained". I guess, they also can't see the attempts at solving the problem either (as demonstrated by andrewjosh) when it doesn't fit their preconceived narrative.

So, in the jets game there was 1 penalty. In the MIA game there were 6 (below league average). Followed by a game of 10 and 14. As far as penalties (which is what we are discussing with regard to sloppy practice) WTF did you want him to do differently after the Jets game? "Hey guys, you only committed one penalty last game, we need to bring that number up.". **** no, AS FAR AS PENALTIES, you don't want anything done differently, right? Really, the same after the MIA game. Six penalties in a game is pretty good.

now,between the MIA game and the NE game, Tomlin MUST have done something differently, because penalties spiked. Right? You are saying he didn't, but, clearly, the penalties went up. What happened? Tomlin, again, telling his team to commit more? Sloppy practice? Why weren't practices sloppy before the Jets and MIA games? You say he didn't do anything different, but penalties went up and it is his fault. If penalties were 1, then 6, AND he doesn't do anything differently why did practices become sloppy? The logic doesn't follow.

as far as penalties go, because we are discussing sloppy practices leading to penalties, what is Hoodie doing wrong? He has less than .2 less penalties per game. He have sloppy practices, too? he's the greatest bestest coach ever, yet his players commit as many penalties as the team that plays for a ****** HC. Again, makes no sense.

I see.. we're just talking past each other. Maybe this is my fault for not sticking to the topic of penalties. But truthfully, I am MUCH more concerned with the way the team plays overall than I am with the penalties. Refereeing is so inconsistent, and frankly bad, that sheer number of penalties isn't what concerns me about the way MT coaches the team. It's the inconsistency, arrogance, stubbornness, poor game planning, and even worse ability to adjust from said poor game planning. Not to mention, the way we only show up for games that are anticipated to be competitive. We turn it on when we want to and it's ******* maddening as a fan.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Kinkhabwala: Le’Veon Bell Pushing Teammates To Clean Up Practice Habits

leveon-bell
BY MATTHEW MARCZI NOVEMBER 11, 2016 AT 10:30 AM

A few weeks back, in the Pittsburgh Steelers’ final game heading into their bye week, they managed to rack up 10 penalties, most of them on the offensive side of the ball. One of them even took a touchdown off the board.

Two weeks later, with two weeks to potentially clean things up, the Steelers managed to be penalized 13 times on Sunday in their loss to the Ravens, again, with the majority of the penalties falling on the offensive side of the ball. With three false starts, an illegal formation, and a delay of game penalty, there was lots of sloppiness and blame to go around.

And that poor showing recently has not sat well with anybody on the team, especially on the offense, where the majority of the penalties have come from. But some have been more vocal than others, including running back Le’Veon Bell, who earlier this week said that he was not surprised by the sloppy penalties because the team has been having sloppy practices.

And now he is looking to do his part to help curb the problem. According to Aditi Kinkhabwala, left guard Ramon Foster told her yesterday that Bell is taking on a sort of leadership role during the team’s practices this week.

Kinkhabwala Tweeted yesterday that, according to Foster, “Bell has been at the forefront of making sure folks [practice better]”. You may be thinking that that should be the coaches’ jobs to take care of that and making sure that the players are practicing well. Bell had something to say about that, too.

“There’s nothing magical a coach can say”, Bell told Kinkhabwala. “It takes players to reach out to teammates and help them get that urgency”. Personally, I don’t particularly care what is required of a particular team to accomplish that objective, as long as it ends up getting done.

If Bell wants to take the mantle, even temporarily, to try to get on his teammates to make sure that they are taking practices as seriously as they need to be to make sure that they are ready for the game and to clean up some of the unnecessary penalties that have been hamstringing the offense the past couple of weeks, then I am certainly going to be supportive of that.

Coaches can do a lot of things for a team, there is no doubt about that. That is, after all, their job, and why their job exists in the first place. But there is an aspect of what Bell says that gets at a truth about the topic. Coaches can only reach players to a certain extent. Players connect with their teammates on a different level.

Seeing Bell take the helm and try to make sure that he and his teammates are having productive practices sends a different message to players than seeing a coach try to do that. Coaches are supposed to do that. For a player to do it, it shows a higher level of commitment and ownership that can be infectious.

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...bell-pushing-teammates-clean-practice-habits/

ark steel

Reaction score
I see.. we're just talking past each other. Maybe this is my fault for not sticking to the topic of penalties. But truthfully, I am MUCH more concerned with the way the team plays overall than I am with the penalties. Refereeing is so inconsistent, and frankly bad, that sheer number of penalties isn't what concerns me about the way MT coaches the team. It's the inconsistency, arrogance, stubbornness, poor game planning, and even worse ability to adjust from said poor game planning. Not to mention, the way we only show up for games that are anticipated to be competitive. We turn it on when we want to and it's ******* maddening as a fan.

Towards the end of the last game, I looked over at Supe and said, you know, they are going to get close enough just to piss us off. I was willing to give Ben the benefit of the doubt with regard to his knee and being unable to throw as normal, but the last quarter seemed to show that it wasn't much of an issue. I am no less frustrated with you, but I don't see a change in coaching, at least, mid-season and not any of the guys most have mentioned as replacements being a solution.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
* It comes with the job. The job pays a lot of money. The industry actively cultivates passion among its customers and has come to identify them with a word that's a derivative of "fanatic." I get all that. I get that coaches in the NFL - both the head guys and the assistants - are heavily scrutinized and criticized.

* And when a team disappoints/underachieves, as these Steelers have through the first eight of their 16-game schedule this season, there are going to be fingers pointed at them, there are going to be people who want to see them get fired.

* I get a fair number of those kinds of submissions for the thrice-weekly installments of Asked and Answered, and while I refuse to entertain them because I consider firing people a very, very serious job and a job that is certainly not mine, what is somewhat amusing is the manner in which the individual gets around to making that point/demand.

* There are those who choose to begin with some variation of "I've been a Steelers fan for (insert some number that never seems to be less than 40) years" before making a case for Mike Tomlin's immediate unemployment. What gets me with these is that if they've actually been a life-long Steelers fan, as they so proudly proclaim, don't they come into it knowing the franchise doesn't make rash moves, especially with coaches?

* The other amusing approach begins as more of an attempt to enlist an ally in a cause, before coming to the inevitable conclusion that all reasonable people would agree (insert name here) deserves to be on "the hot seat." And apparently those quotation marks are mandatory.

* But anyway, do the quotation marks hold some sort of significance, because what precisely does "on the hot seat" mean? What are the consequences? Is it anything like "double secret probation" at Faber College? Does it mean a trip to Dean Wormer's office?*

PHOTOS: Practice - Cowboys Week - Day 2

* Anyway, another peculiarity from the fire-the-coach crowd comes in the choices it makes as to which coaches deserve to lose their jobs, or maybe more accurately in this instance, which ones should be spared. For example, there seems to be no hesitation to go after a defensive backs coach because of the low number of interceptions, but nobody wants an offensive line coach fired after the running game gets stuffed. As an example.

* One of the misconceptions feeding this line of "thought" about football that has grown along with the explosion of talking heads bloviating on 24-hour sports stations is "it's a chess match," that coaches are master puppeteers manipulating players and orchestrating all of the action on the field. Or to use a comparison the 140-character generation might better understand, as though the football played in NFL stadiums each weekend is somehow a glorified video game, instead of 60 minutes of organized mayhem committed via bursts of activity by 22 human beings at a time.

* And this portrayal of football is only as old as cable TV, because when I was growing up and learning to love the NFL, I never remember Vince Lombardi out-coaching anybody or winning any games because of clever halftime adjustments. Hey, you lifelong Steelers fans out there, do you look back on any of those 1970s Super Bowls as having been won by Chuck Noll out-coaching the other guy?

* Mark Malone once told me a story about his rookie training camp at Saint Vincent College, where the offensive coaches were installing the proper response to what was the cutting-edge coverage at the time. Malone said this new coverage had the safeties line up perpendicular to the line of scrimmage, one behind the other, instead of the more traditional parallel to the line of scrimmage alignment, next to each other.

* Malone said the coaches were teaching how to read the coverage and how to counteract it, and all of the various checks and adjustments necessary by both the quarterback and the receivers to avoid the interceptions this was designed to create. Malone, always a studious player, said he was having trouble grasping all of the intricacies, and so after a couple of days of struggling, he decided to walk down the hall to visit Terry Bradshaw's dorm room after lunch to seek the veteran's counsel before going onto the field for that afternoon's practice.

Agree to Disagree - vs. Cowboys

Share:*

* He said he knocked on the door and found Bradshaw sitting on the bed, strumming his guitar. His playbook was thrown into the corner on a pile of clothes. After asking Bradshaw how he handled this new coverage, he said Bradshaw looked at him and said, "I don't care where they line up those safeties. I just drop back, look for Swann or Stallworth, throw it high and hard, and just let them go up and get it."

* Now that's good coaching.

http://m.steelers.com/news/labriola...e-zebras/e64f4d0a-54e8-44be-a4a0-26b8f72bab68

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app