• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should the Steelers trade Bell?

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
They have to tag him to trade him and have some other team work out some absurd amount of money for him in the process.Unless he can play defense I wouldn't do anything crazy.

insaniti

Contributor
Reaction score
If a contract isn't worked out, he will sign the tag but again at the absolute later possible and report in week 10 of the season.

And because he would then be under contract with us, we could fine him any amount we choose for each and every week he does not report. This is a scenario that will not happen if he does sign his tender.

The question is, what's best for the team. If you can't sign him long term, and he makes good on holding out/retiring, then we're left with nothing. So yes, I'd rather trade him than have that happen. My preference though is to sign him long term that also allows us to keep/add players to make another run, thereby keeping the best RB in the league in Pittsburgh.

Sure, everyone would like to get something for him. But if we tag him, and he does decide to "retire" or hold out for the year, we are left with the $14m in cap space he left us with and we still own his rights... Sure it's not ideal, but it's the most likely scenario.

rpollock

Reaction score
For the Brownies two 1st round picks I would make the deal. Yes I know the Brownies would never do it. OR WOULD THEY.........? :dontknow:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You genius Madden Football GM's realize that he has to be UNDER contract to be traded right? That means he would have to sign with us first, either a new contract or his tender if we tag him. Remind yourself again when he finally signed his tender for 2017 and figure out why you're likely dumber than a box of ******* rocks for keeping this trade Bell talk going.

You are right but I think most here are referring to after he signs but if he doesn't sign then the draft option this year is moot. Cope wrote a great explaination of the tag and the rules, I Beleive its POST #47 of this thread. I know I don't want cap hell just to obtain a downward running back. He is dang good right now but his decline is inevitable due to HOW ******* MUCH his wheels have been run off.

Salute the nation

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Tag him and let him shop for another Sugar Daddy

While I wouldn't want to see him go to the Browns, they are still the Browns. Maybe he would like it in G-men land, But Eli with Bell might be bad news.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
What about them?

9d4f42129acc69c0ab1d47068f4dd487.jpg

Believe it or not there was football before 2010... it’s good to know your history so you don’t repeat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
9d4f42129acc69c0ab1d47068f4dd487.jpg

Believe it or not there was football before 2010... it’s good to know your history so you don’t repeat it.

Yeah I know football history just fine. Irrelevant to what is going on now with Bell. The Steelers BTW handle things a little different than the next team. If you know your Steeler history, you would realize that.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

steelhurt

Reaction score
LevBell as good as he is will remain a distraction until he gets what he thinks he’s worth. Then were saddled with some ridiculous contract on a RB already with considerable mileage. Can we then afford to add necessary pieces to a defense desperately needing new and talented players?
I’d still consider my options if the possibility were there for a lucrative trade return. I’m thinking it may be in the better interest of the team to draft a young, talented hungry player without the drama.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Again, look, Bell wants north of $15 million per. We could pay a top tier RB (by that, I mean top 10 in the NFL) in the $6-8 million per year range. Sure, they won't be quite as good as Bell but we have other talent on O that can step up and cover a few receptions Bell would have gotten. BUT, with the extra $7-9 million, we could target one top free agent ILB or S or two mid-tier free agents. That would absolutely make the team better than with just Bell.

Notice, I said TEAM. The O may (or may not) score 1 point less a game without Bell but the D will be better. I was in favor of trying to sign Bell last year until his demands became beyond ridiculous. We offered him 50% more than the next highest paid RB and he said no. That's 50% of RB money to go toward what he feels he's worth as a WR. That offer was more than reasonable and maybe even too much. I just can't see paying him that much money now, especially when the TEAM has other huge needs now that Shazier is out.

If we could keep Bell, not screw the pooch with the cap and get a couple of starter free agents on D, then I am all for it. I just don't see it being possible.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bell is going to be a HUGE risk weather we sign him or not. As a franchise I would think there is NO way I want cap hell for me to sign him. Obviously they know any better than me as to his attitude but he has indicated holding out or retiring.....either is fine as that don't cost the STEELERS anything. He will have to sign the tender before anything can happen and we seen how long that took last year. I truely think if the STEELERS don't offer enough for a contract to his satisfaction then he will find a way to **** them over. Remember he has been "well used" because our coaching can't do anything else that takes a plan other than "run him till his wheels fall off"

Salute the nation

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Bell has a lot of negatives and is not worth the long term risk. He has injury history, drug history, a ton of carries, and an attitude problem. I honestly believe if we sign him to a big deal he will take the money and run or just become lazy.
Like someone said we could get a very good RB and a very good safety or MLB and be instantly better. Not sure what we would have to give up to get Barkley, but he would fit in with the killer Bs (i know this is not realistic just wishful thinking.)

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
I forgot to mention i read an interesting article on bell the other day. I think he only had 3 runs of 20+ yards and his longest was 27yrds. Also 39% of his carries were for 3 yards or less. Not sure how that compares to other RBs, but it is certainly not worth 15 mil.

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Think the Giants would give up their #1 for him?

Sorry, chimed in on page 5 and too lazy to start from the beginning.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I forgot to mention i read an interesting article on bell the other day. I think he only had 3 runs of 20+ yards and his longest was 27yrds. Also 39% of his carries were for 3 yards or less. Not sure how that compares to other RBs, but it is certainly not worth 15 mil.

He didn't break many runs this year and usually doesn't. His biggest plays are dump off passes.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
You have nobody ready to take the load for Bell. You can throw out stats out the ying yang. But who could replace bell as a pass catcher let alone as a runner? That pass catching option is why you keep him if you can.

xjx

Reaction score
The giants and the browns would likely have an interest. Not likely that tomlin could creatively craft s deal or plan of any kind. Colbert would likely shy away from any trsde.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You have nobody ready to take the load for Bell. You can throw out stats out the ying yang. But who could replace bell as a pass catcher let alone as a runner? That pass catching option is why you keep him if you can.

A RB similar to DW and the WR crew we have, along with a TE. You're talking about an average of 5-6 balls or so per game.If you can't find someone else to throw those balls to, then you shouldn't be the O coordinator or the QB.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

Four rookie running backs had over 50 receptions this year. James Conner had 21 receptions as a senior--the first time Pitt really tried to use him in that capacity. If they're running the right routes, the balls will be there. What we would miss without Bell is having a running back who can lineup outside and make the type of reception he did last week. Then again, if you have Brown, JuJu, Bryant, and McDonald, there should be more than enough options to replace that production.

FAB802

Contributor
Reaction score
Someone wants to trade the best all around back the Steelers have ever had? Genius.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Four rookie running backs had over 50 receptions this year. James Conner had 21 receptions as a senior--the first time Pitt really tried to use him in that capacity. If they're running the right routes, the balls will be there. What we would miss without Bell is having a running back who can lineup outside and make the type of reception he did last week. Then again, if you have Brown, JuJu, Bryant, and McDonald, there should be more than enough options to replace that production.

Ok because Conner isn't the option his pass catching or lack of was on display early. And at this point he had to prove he can even stay on the field being hurt with limited touches.

I will go as far as saying if you want to replace Bell, a decent enough option isn't on the roster.

Last edited:

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Ok because Conner isn't the option his patch catching or lack of was on display early. And at this point he had to prove he can even stay on the field being hurt with limited touches.

I will go as far as saying if you want to replace Bell, a decent enough option isn't on the roster.

I want to see the Steelers sign Bell to a long-term deal, however, I think there are options to replace his production in the passing game--not necessarily at the running back position.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Is a 15% drop off in production worth the hampering of the franchise in cap hell. You sign Bell to what is perceived as a contract that he will sign and you are committing a HUGE chunk of salary cap to a single player that is on the down hill of his career. WORN OUT by overuse of body / drug / SUSPENTION / attitude. How much drop off is there really from bell to a HAND full of rookies this year??? Is the farm worth it.??

I want BELL but the reality is it may be at to high a cost to keep him. Franchise tag and hope he shows up.

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
We will be drafting a RB high in the draft this year most likely. Bell will want more than $15 mill a year. Might even hold out a few games into the regular season. Meh. Let him. Somehow I believe our offense will still function when he isn't there. I remember when people cried about Wallace leaving. Who would replace those TDs he caught. The answer is...someone else. Someone will come in and run for some yards for us. Catch some balls and score some tds for us. Whether it is Bell or someone else...... It will happen.