• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should the Steelers trade Bell?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Do you understand that Bell didn't sign his franchise tender until Sept last season? Do you think he's going to sign it and do the Steelers a favor if they're in a contract dispute?

Dude, think with your brain. Good God.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Steeler Nation mobile app

Wake up. Bell threatened to hold out next year while the Steelers were preparing for a playoff game.

He may want out. If a sign and trade get's him paid with a new Jersey color, are you telling me he's not for that over a 1 year tag?

Think about it, you just might see the light.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Wake up. Bell threatened to hold out next year while the Steelers were preparing for a playoff game.

He may want out. If a sign and trade get's him paid with a new Jersey color, are you telling me he's not for that over a 1 year tag?

Think about it, you just might see the light.
Right. Maybe you should try reading up on his comments after the game. He isn't trying to leave Pittsburgh. He was asked a question and he answered it last week. He's always been truthful and spoke his mind.

The Steelers are not going to trade him. He isn't going to work out a deal with another team. If the Steelers franchise him then he can either collect his 14.7 million and play next year or sit out the season. He has no leverage.

Hopefully they will come to an agreement on a contract.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Steeler Nation mobile app

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So a sign and trade to Cleveland in exchange for the 4th pick if Barkley is on the board, the use the 10M in cap savings to buy the best free agent for the defense.

you realize that in most instances, the best free agents are signed long before the draft, right? thus you're taking a chance on Barkley - who's never played a down in the NFL - and bringing in yet another scrub off the sofa to play defense. you realize that, right? so you're essentially equating Barkley + scrub >>>> Bell.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
So a sign and trade to Cleveland in exchange for the 4th pick if Barkley is on the board, the use the 10M in cap savings to buy the best free agent for the defense.

You have been saying this same scenario for months now. It might happen in your dreams but not in the real world.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think he would if he and his agent worked out a long term deal with the other team first. Not saying it WILL happen, but it's not all that out of the realm of possibility.

So you do expect this long term contract to have a signing bonus correct? I am thinking we would have to eat it in this scenario. This reason alone I don't ever see it happening. Now the non-exclusive tag might work. You have to find a team to give up 2 number one picks though.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
If a contract isn't worked out, he will sign the tag but again at the absolute later possible and report in week 10 of the season.

Salute the nation

And still make his $14 mill plus tag salary.

Sith Lord

Reaction score
No. Steelers need to pay him. We need all the talent we can get with this head coach.

bmoritz

Reaction score
So you do expect this long term contract to have a signing bonus correct? I am thinking we would have to eat it in this scenario. This reason alone I don't ever see it happening. Now the non-exclusive tag might work. You have to find a team to give up 2 number one picks though.

I see your point, and I'm not really sure how that would work. I was thinking the deal is made, we get draft picks, etc, contingent upon him signing an extension with the other team after the trade. If the long term deal doesn't come to fruition (which is why I think they would negotiate with that team before terms are set), then the trade is null and void and he reverts back to the Steelers. Again, I could be wrong.

bmoritz

Reaction score
No. Steelers need to pay him. We need all the talent we can get with this head coach.

I think the problem is, we should only agree to pay him to a point. It shouldn't be open ended, and we have to gut the team to keep him. I love Lev Bell, and IMHO he is head and shoulders above any other RB in the league. But you have to look at what we would lose if he demands too much. And let's be honest, it's not the best RBs that are winning Super Bowls, and that should be the main goal. If he were to agree to a fair deal that still pays him well but lets us fund elsewhere (which his past has not shown that he's keen on doing), then I'm all for keeping him. It really is about the cap space that is eaten up by one running back.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Trade a future HOFer, lol.

k

******* idiot

bmoritz

Reaction score
The question is, what's best for the team. If you can't sign him long term, and he makes good on holding out/retiring, then we're left with nothing. So yes, I'd rather trade him than have that happen. My preference though is to sign him long term that also allows us to keep/add players to make another run, thereby keeping the best RB in the league in Pittsburgh.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
The question is, what's best for the team. If you can't sign him long term, and he makes good on holding out/retiring, then we're left with nothing. So yes, I'd rather trade him than have that happen. My preference though is to sign him long term that also allows us to keep/add players to make another run, thereby keeping the best RB in the league in Pittsburgh.

Why talk of trading Bell when there is less than a .000000000000001 chance of it ever happening?

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
you realize that in most instances, the best free agents are signed long before the draft, right? thus you're taking a chance on Barkley - who's never played a down in the NFL - and bringing in yet another scrub off the sofa to play defense. you realize that, right? so you're essentially equating Barkley + scrub >>>> Bell.

Bell isn't very helpful if he's not playing and holding out. I'm sure they will know what he's gonna do before the draft.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
And still make his $14 mill plus tag salary.

I'm not sure if he loses game checks or not due to the tag. But I do know he has to play 6 games to satisfy the tag and NOT have it carry another year. I'll try and find out about the
game checks per week vs the tag designation or if someone allready knows please post.

Salute the nation

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm not sure if he loses game checks or not due to the tag. But I do know he has to play 6 games to satisfy the tag and NOT have it carry another year. I'll try and find out about the
game checks per week vs the tag designation or if someone allready knows please post.

Salute the nation

I believe someone posted an article the other day that stated if he holds out and returned for the last 6 games he would get the entire amount because the tag guaranteed for said amount.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

steelhurt

Reaction score
I have a much better suggestion. Rather than trade our all pro RB, trade his all big talk coach. I’d trade him like the Raiders traded Gruden several seasons ago to Tampa Bay.
A team like the Browns would be stupid enough to bite and they would probably give up one of those #1’s. They’re stupid enough to maybe give up both picks for him.
He’s this so called second best coach. Let’s see exactly what the rest of the league thinks.
Bring in a guy like Matt Patricia or McDaniels from the Pats and get this thing headed in the right direction.
As for LevBell. It’s got to work for both sides and I hope we can keep him.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Guys, I wrote an article on this last week: https://www.steelernation.com/cap-class-leveon-bell-franchise-tag/

It will stop you from thinking any trade other than 2 first round draft picks, are possible if he's tagged. All other ideas are fabrications of your own imagination in a reality that doesn't exist.

Also Bell doesn't need to sign the tag tender for the Steelers to work out a trade. It has happened in the past, and the team the Steelers trade to would work with Bell's agent to ensure Bell is happy with his new multi year contract.

When the Steelers tag Bell, they own his rights. He doesn't have to sign anything, the Steelers own his rights. That's what a tag does. Unless the Steelers rescind the tag, which would make him an immediate free agent, but they won't. So with a non exclusive tag, they can work out a trade with any team for 2 firsts. That's it Simple. Get it?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I believe someone posted an article the other day that stated if he holds out and returned for the last 6 games he would get the entire amount because the tag guaranteed for said amount.

I think that was Cope and I do believe you are right as I read that too. So for six games and way less chance of injury, He will play for full pay. Sorry but that would be hard to pass up and Bell strikes me as that being a possibility. With NO long term deal he isn't going to want to risk in jury. There are dead lines for him to sign and STEELERS etc., and yes week 10 is also one of those.

Salute the nation

SteveA

Reaction score
NO NO NO....

why do these threads even start?

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
OOooopppppppsssss

Sorry Cope I didn't see your post above mine as I just replied to stillwright and hit "enter".

Thanks for the re-enlightment.

Salute the nation