• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Should the Steelers trade Bell?

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I think that was Cope and I do believe you are right as I read that too. So for six games and way less chance of injury, He will play for full pay. Sorry but that would be hard to pass up and Bell strikes me as that being a possibility. With NO long term deal he isn't going to want to risk in jury. There are dead lines for him to sign and STEELERS etc., and yes week 10 is also one of those.

Salute the nation

Well to be fair to Bell he wouldn't be holding out for himself but for all RB's....... At that point after 10 weeks if he came in to sign his tender if I'm the Steelers front office I would just pull the tender off the table and wish him well.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I should also add that I want Bell signed to a long term "happy" to both parties deal. Just hope the future CAP isn't compromised.

Salute the nation

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Do the non-exclusive and see if anyone will bite on the 2 firsts. We will only get one of them this year would be my guess.

Also, this past year, if he would have missed regular season games, he would have missed the paychecks as well. At least, that is what I read prior to this season. I would assume the same would hold true this year. Each game missed is a paycheck missed no matter if he signs.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Do the non-exclusive and see if anyone will bite on the 2 firsts. We will only get one of them this year would be my guess.

Also, this past year, if he would have missed regular season games, he would have missed the paychecks as well. At least, that is what I read prior to this season. I would assume the same would hold true this year. Each game missed is a paycheck missed no matter if he signs.

Read post 47 and hit the link provided it will clear up a lot about the franchise tag. Cope wrote a great article on it. Thanks Cope!!!

Salute the nation

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I still say to tag him, let him find another team willing to pay and then make a trade. If he can’t find a team willing to do it, that shows his real value and maybe he then signs a long term deal. Waiting till week 10 for his services will get them nothing for their 14.4M, he would not be back in form until week 12-13. By then it could very well over, and what if another RB is doing a serviceable job? Do you tell the starter “thanks, but you are done now, keep working hard in case we need you again”?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bell wants more than the tag number at 14.5 million. The Steelers offered him an average of 12+ million last year with $30 million in the first 2 years and he said "**** you". If they do sign him, based on what he has demanded, it will have to average somewhere over $15 million. If they do that, they need to have ways to get out of the contract. My guess is it will be structured so the last 2 or 3 years of the contract, his cap hit will be over $20 million and that is just crazy for a RB, even Bell. That would be 2 to 3 times the cap hit of any other RB in the league. You can only afford to do that with your QB and maybe one other player.

Kipers first mock has Cleveland taking Saquon at No. 4 in the 1st. With Saquon on the board, I just can't see the Clowns even thinking about Bell.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bell wants more than the tag number at 14.5 million. The Steelers offered him an average of 12+ million last year with $30 million in the first 2 years and he said "**** you". If they do sign him, based on what he has demanded, it will have to average somewhere over $15 million. If they do that, they need to have ways to get out of the contract. My guess is it will be structured so the last 2 or 3 years of the contract, his cap hit will be over $20 million and that is just crazy for a RB, even Bell. That would be 2 to 3 times the cap hit of any other RB in the league. You can only afford to do that with your QB and maybe one other player.

Kipers first mock has Cleveland taking Saquon at No. 4 in the 1st. With Saquon on the board, I just can't see the Clowns even thinking about Bell.

See TDX27, that is the problem. In order to have the last 2-3years of a contract you'd probably have a 5year contract. Bell is allready entering his decline years so in about two years you'd be paying the "20mil" part of his contract and he won't be that #1 back he is now. He gets the most touches of any RB in the NFL now but he won't handle that at the tail end of said contract thus the WAY OVER PAY. Unless BELL rethinks his demand there won't be a likely cinerio that is friendly to both sides. It took us several seasons to get out of "cap hell" and that wasn't that long ago. I sure hope the FO remembers that ordeal better than some here do.

Salute the nation

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
He is asking for $17 million. He said he will not settle. Offering him anything less would seem to be a non starter. I think he will be done soon in the Burgh. Just hope we are wise enough to get something for him.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
He is asking for $17 million. He said he will not settle. Offering him anything less would seem to be a non starter. I think he will be done soon in the Burgh. Just hope we are wise enough to get something for him.

I'm with you Sarge. He is a top shelf athlete but maybe too much of a problem both in the locker room and against a budget. Get some fair market value and move on. It's not like he was ever going to be able to cover up our coaching problems anyway. Good running backs are easy enough to find, maybe not as good as he is but it is what it is...move on if we gotta.

The Chief woulda had his *** gone by now, no way he overpaid primadona's... LOL

Irondiesel58

Reaction score
What I know is the Steelers plug in running backs and wide receivers in every year without missing a beat. We need Ben's replacement now to learn, and we need an answer to our Defence problem. $30 million goes a long way on the lines.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Steeler Nation mobile app

Irondiesel58

Reaction score
What I know is the Steelers plug in running backs and wide receivers in every year without missing a beat. We need Ben's replacement now to learn, and we need an answer to our Defence problem. $30 million goes a long way on the lines.

Also if he asks for to much he'll go to a team who doesn't k ow what their doing and make hos money and bounce around the league like Wallace in obscurity. Dumb move for careers.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know how good Bell is but think what we could do if we signed a top 5 RB in the league at around $8 million per (no RB is making anywhere near Bell even at $12 million) and take the other $6.5 million we would save from not tagging him and get a good ILB or S. Not saying the players are out there to do this but I absolutely would do that. It would make us a better team and it makes cap sense.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The ONLY TEAM I'd even consider is Cleveland with this option...

Good. But I'd trade him to Giants or Colts ( If Barkely is on the board ) too.

Wait a minute, haven't we seen this thread before?

808 days was the last time the Browns won a road game by the way.

Last edited:

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
You genius Madden Football GM's realize that he has to be UNDER contract to be traded right? That means he would have to sign with us first, either a new contract or his tender if we tag him. Remind yourself again when he finally signed his tender for 2017 and figure out why you're likely dumber than a box of ******* rocks for keeping this trade Bell talk going.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
They tried to sign him last year, they were going to make him the highest paid rb, by a decent margin, in the entire league, he turned that down. You can't just give the guy a blank check, he's not worth that.

I guess we should pay Ben what his market value should be too?

Sent from my XT1585 using Steeler Nation mobile app

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
They tried to sign him last year, they were going to make him the highest paid rb, by a decent margin, in the entire league, he turned that down. You can't just give the guy a blank check, he's not worth that.

I guess we should pay Ben what his market value should be too?

Exactly. We already offered him 50% higher than the next highest paid RB in the league and he said FU. He wants close to QB money.

BAS

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Exactly. We already offered him 50% higher than the next highest paid RB in the league and he said FU. He wants close to QB money.

With the latest report that he barely showed up for the Saturday walkthroughs before the Jags game, then he tweeted how it was the first of 2 rematches -- it's clear he values himself above the team. As much as I hate to say it, let him walk.

If you think a team like the Patriots would pay him the kind of money that he wants, you're crazy.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
What do you think of these stats:
200 carries, 907 yards, 11 TDs, 4.5ypc
40 catches 392 yards.

That's only 10 games started, those are Williams stats in 2015 here and he made 1.4 million.

Turd Ferguson

Reaction score
If Bell wants QB money as a RB then he better damn well be able to convert a friggin' 4th and inches on his own.

I wouldn't pay him anything more than $12M a year....if he declines then do a sign and trade to someone who will.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Is it even possible? Would the Steelers trade Bell to the Giants and draft Narkley?

Bell will get his $$$ and we’d get a healthy, faster, less drama and off the field issues for the next several years.

Why not add a poll to this tread?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What do you think of these stats:
200 carries, 907 yards, 11 TDs, 4.5ypc
40 catches 392 yards.

That's only 10 games started, those are Williams stats in 2015 here and he made 1.4 million.

I could work with a RB with those numbers. Add a TE like Vance but one that can stay on the field and Ben should be very happy with that. Williams was done when they didn't bring him back, though. I don't believe anyone else picked him up.

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
I could work with a RB with those numbers. Add a TE like Vance but one that can stay on the field and Ben should be very happy with that. Williams was done when they didn't bring him back, though. I don't believe anyone else picked him up.
Yeah Williams was done, I'm just pointing out that I don't know if we need to pay a RB 15-16 million when a 30+ RB put up those stats here, especially with the way rookie backs have stepped in and produced recently across the league

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah Williams was done, I'm just pointing out that I don't know if we need to pay a RB 15-16 million when a 30+ RB put up those stats here, especially with the way rookie backs have stepped in and produced recently across the league

I definitely agree. We can make the team better with a RB making 6-8 million per year and adding a safety or ILB.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
I think that was Cope and I do believe you are right as I read that too. So for six games and way less chance of injury, He will play for full pay. Sorry but that would be hard to pass up and Bell strikes me as that being a possibility. With NO long term deal he isn't going to want to risk in jury. There are dead lines for him to sign and STEELERS etc., and yes week 10 is also one of those.

Salute the nation

If he decided to play that car, what happens if the Steelers decided to not make him "active" for the last six games? What about if he gets hurt? Does that tag rollover and start again?