• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Potential major ice storm in KC this weekend?

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Another concern is players catching flu and colds after playing in the elements at this time of year. I recall the Giants having this issue after a playoff win at Green Bay a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Steeler Nation mobile app

You don't catch sickness, or the flu from cold weather. The only thing you can get from cold weather is hypothermia and frostbite.

Cold weather can cause your nose to run, creating a situation where you are touching your nose more often. If you have a bacteria or virus on your hand and touch your nose, that is how you get sick. Carry a hankie, and you'll be fine.

Unless you have a toddler, then you're ****** no matter what you do to prevent sickness...

Slash#10

Reaction score
You don't catch sickness, or the flu from cold weather. The only thing you can get from cold weather is hypothermia and frostbite.

Cold weather can cause your nose to run, creating a situation where you are touching your nose more often. If you have a bacteria or virus on your hand and touch your nose, that is how you get sick. Carry a hankie, and you'll be fine.

Unless you have a toddler, then you're ****** no matter what you do to prevent sickness...
I was referring more to playing in freezing rain on top of the spread of bacteria that's pretty unavoidable playing football. Very conducive of catching a cold and developing flu. The Giants/Packers game comes to mind and I can see this came possibly having the same effect.

On a more optimistic point, I think this will prepare a team to travel up to NE for AFCC.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Steeler Nation mobile app

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/body/scientists-finally-prove-cold-weather-makes-sick/

Spike

Reaction score

mdk2

Reaction score

Dangerous, potentially destructive ice storm looms for 1,000-mile swath of central US

Severe central US ice storm to cut power, immobilize travel and cause damage

People from Texas to Ohio are bracing for a dangerous long-duration ice storm that could turn destructive and cut power to hundreds of thousands from Friday to Sun.

http://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...-swath-of-central-us-to-end-the-week/70000533

I wonder if this game will be moved to maybe Sunday night or Monday.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I wonder if this game will be moved to maybe Sunday night or Monday.

You can't move a playoff game to Monday...too much of a disadvantage to the winning team who has to play the following Sunday.

Tickets are available on StubHub for less than $30/seat.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
It always goes back and forth about who benefits from a bad field. Some say the defense because it can be harder to pass. Some say offense because the WRs know where they are going. I've seen it go both ways.

After years, i think a sloppy field favors the less talented team. It evens the odds by adding uncertainty. There's more of a chance for broken plays, or lucky plays. If i'm the better team, i'd rather play a straight game.

I believe the Steelers are the better team. AB and Bell rely on sharp cuts. An icy field could tun Bell into just another RB. It also worries me with special teams.

Without a doubt the Steelers benefit from sloppy conditions. Chiefs are dependent on 50+ yard scoring plays. They don't run the ball or stop the run well at all.

mdk2

Reaction score
You can't move a playoff game to Monday...too much of a disadvantage to the winning team who has to play the following Sunday.

Tickets are available on StubHub for less than $30/seat.

That's crazy. Shouldn't be much of a home field advantage for them.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score

It's good to see this site actually read and defend scientific articles.

This article, however, does not state that cold weather makes you sick. It states that it may be tougher to fight off infection, due to cold weather. Cold weather does not give you bacteria or viruses. It never has, and it never will.

I do find the drop in immune response, during cold weather, as interesting. Thanks for sharing!

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
It's good to see this site actually read and defend scientific articles.
We try. There are a number of hypotheses about why colds and flus accompany cold weather. Nobody knows.

I don't think you ever shared what science degree you have?

Spike

Reaction score
It's 77 degrees and I'm sweating out in the sun, what is this "ice" they speak of

Spike

Reaction score
1st time IN NFL PLAYOFF HISTORY a game has been delayed due to WEATHER!

Bow down *******...never doubt the wisdom of the Platinum club insider info

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Moving the game sucks. Screwed up my weekend plans. Then my concert got postponed which REALLY ****** things up. At least I get to watch the game with my brother, who I haven't seen in 2+ years. Just wish Mother Nature wasn't such a ***** this weekend. Oh well. Life goes on.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
So, biology and psychology?
Yes, with a focus on the brain specifically. I studied a ton of brain physiology, chemistry, and what drugs interact to affect and treat brain chemistry.

I always was interested in abnormal psychology, and wrote my senior thesis on Alzheimer's. My grandmother had it, and it helped me understand and cope with it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
1st time IN NFL PLAYOFF HISTORY a game has been delayed due to WEATHER!

Bow down *******...never doubt the wisdom of the Platinum club insider info

I thought you were going to say "Platinum Carainium"

Salute the nation

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, with a focus on the brain specifically. I studied a ton of brain physiology, chemistry, and what drugs interact to affect and treat brain chemistry.

I always was interested in abnormal psychology, and wrote my senior thesis on Alzheimer's. My grandmother had it, and it helped me understand and cope with it.

lmao .. actually pretty cool to come on Steelernation and see someone who has a degree/focus pretty much the same as my undergrad degree. My senior thesis was definitely not as cool, however. Mine was on the supposed correlation between blindness and an enhanced ability to orient based upon sound.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
So, biology and psychology?

We try. There are a number of hypotheses about why colds and flus accompany cold weather. Nobody knows.

I don't think you ever shared what science degree you have?

lmao .. actually pretty cool to come on Steelernation and see someone who has a degree/focus pretty much the same as my undergrad degree. My senior thesis was definitely not as cool, however. Mine was on the supposed correlation between blindness and an enhanced ability to orient based upon sound.

That is great! I'll start a thread in GC to take this out of the football side.

Spike

Reaction score
Deadly ice storm, perhaps worst in a decade, batters nation’s midsection

Six Dead in Ice Storm Wrecks

37 Million People Under Weather Alert as Ice Storms Cripple Travel

More than 2,800 flights are expected to be delayed today and over 200 are expected to be cancelled, according to the Weather Channel. Airports in the affected region appeared to be operating largely normally early Sunday.

C2EpdOfXgAAIQxG.jpg

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...t-decade-batters-nations-midsection/96582378/

Spike

Reaction score
Arrowhead Stadium weather report

Day: Cloudy with freezing rain likely. Highs around 34°F. Wind chill values as low as 25°F. East northeast wind to 5 MPH. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. New precipitation amounts from one quarter to one half of an inch possible.

Rain Night: Cloudy with rain. Lows around 34°F. Wind chill values as low as 28°F. East wind to 8 MPH. Chance of precipitation 90 percent. New precipitation amounts from one quarter to one half of an inch possible.

https://www.weatherforyou.com/reports/index.php?pands=arrowhead+stadium,missouri

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Looks like the Mother Nature has decided to the mock the NFL. Weather seems to be underwhelming at the moment.