• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Potential major ice storm in KC this weekend?

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Does the NFL have an alternate venue planned or are we all just spit balling.

Pittsburgh and KC? really?
the NFL would move the Patriots game to Tampa if this were the case for Brady.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
If an ice storm blows in it really isn't about the toughness of the teams, its about power outage and public safety.

Steelers1356

Reaction score
Accuweather says mid 30s and drizzle Sunday afternoon.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
they just replaced the field at Heinz Field before the Dolphins game and players were saying it wasn't that good still.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
they just replaced the field at Heinz Field before the Dolphins game and players were saying it wasn't that good still.

It was replaced a few weeks ago. They do between the hashes once during the season and then the entire field after the high school championship games.

titus

Contributor
Reaction score
Before the game at Heinz, they said the field was good, I thought.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think it is really about the weather in the days and weeks after the replacement. If it's to cold it might as well be carpet unglued on cement.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Should be interesting no matter what. Thank god we have a rb who can wait 10 min while half the defense falls down before he scoots on through..ha

6Lombardis

Reaction score
Before the game at Heinz, they said the field was good, I thought.

I heard this too, and it looked really good. However, I've never understood how real turf sod can hold up when replaced in cold weather and the roots which aren't growing cannot establish to anchor it to the ground. 300 pound men twisting w cleats on unrooted sod?? Perhaps they pin it down or something.

Steelerfreak

Reaction score
Just checked on the weather channel (8pm Wednesday) Sunday 100% chance of freezing rain. Still a few days away, but the picture is looking like precip. regardless.

mdk2

Reaction score
The more I hear and see of Tyreek Hill, the more I want this freezing rain and sloppy field. We got the team to handle it.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is really about the weather in the days and weeks after the replacement. If it's to cold it might as well be carpet unglued on cement.

There is miles of PIPE under the surface of Hinze field. The ground is heated to keep from freezing and a side benefit is the grass enjoys a very late growing season. Just letting yaz know. Also there is sub-drainage too!!!!

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't really understand why the national weather service is putting out that type of weather warning and there seems to be no word from the NFL. A ****** ice storm can cripple a city for days. You get 3/4 of an inch of ice accumulated this thing ain't happening on Sunday. I can tell you that much. Roads will be closed and power will be out.

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
It always goes back and forth about who benefits from a bad field. Some say the defense because it can be harder to pass. Some say offense because the WRs know where they are going. I've seen it go both ways.

After years, i think a sloppy field favors the less talented team. It evens the odds by adding uncertainty. There's more of a chance for broken plays, or lucky plays. If i'm the better team, i'd rather play a straight game.

I believe the Steelers are the better team. AB and Bell rely on sharp cuts. An icy field could tun Bell into just another RB. It also worries me with special teams.

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
The Steeler offense benefits from whatever the weather presents. Bell's style kills in bad weather (see the Buffalo game), and AB kills when he can make his cuts. I think we need to neutralize Kelce and bring the pass rush and we dominate them again.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
A. Oklahoma already declared a state of emergency.... Missouri wont be far behind... thats cutting attendence down a ton, and that favors tge Steelers
B. The field itself is heated undernieth... it wont be a brick, it may be soggy... the steelers play at hienz... there is no team better suited for a cruddy field than them...
C. This will be on the tail end of the storm... power outages should be the biggest concern...the league best have a contingency plan ready to go

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Let's get muddy!

gettyimages-78102463.jpg

Lunar

220, 221 What ever it takes.
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Here in St Louis the ice is beginning. We are expected to get one quarter to a half inch by Sunday morning. If you are traveling through, driving may be difficult.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
I don't really understand why the national weather service is putting out that type of weather warning and there seems to be no word from the NFL. A ****** ice storm can cripple a city for days. You get 3/4 of an inch of ice accumulated this thing ain't happening on Sunday. I can tell you that much. Roads will be closed and power will be out.

I'm in Wichita and they are calling for 1/4 to 1/2 inches of ice accumulating on Saturday night. My brother flies into town on Saturday afternoon, and we are going to a concert on Sunday night- that hasn't been cancelled yet. KS is funny because they either overpredict and nothing happens, or they underpredict and all hell breaks loose. I am hoping it's the former and not the latter.

Ironcitysteelers

What do I put here? **** it.
Contributor
Reaction score
Here in St Louis the ice is beginning. We are expected to get one quarter to a half inch by Sunday morning. If you are traveling through, driving may be difficult.

Steeler fans coming to town are bringing twelve inches and going balls deep!

Let's ******* go!!!!

Slash#10

Reaction score
Another concern is players catching flu and colds after playing in the elements at this time of year. I recall the Giants having this issue after a playoff win at Green Bay a few years ago.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Steeler Nation mobile app