• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Potential major ice storm in KC this weekend?

Spike

Reaction score
This site seems to predict weather chaos and almost 2 inches of ice

****MAJOR ICE STORM FOR THE PLAINS, MIDWEST, AND GREAT LAKES REGION JANUARY 14-16****

15875057_1333115240089380_618594654198595493_o.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/WxSynopsis...289573471958/1333115240089380/?type=3&theater

CONFIDENCE CONTINUES TO INCREASE THAT A WINTER STORM SYSTEM WILL
IMPACT MUCH OF THE LOWER MISSOURI VALLEY THIS WEEKEND. THIS FEATURE
WILL BRING A WINTRY MIX OF PRECIPITATION TO THE AREA...WITH ICING
LOOKING MORE PROBABLE AS FREEZING RAIN OVERSPREADS THE AREA FRIDAY
NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY. IF LATER ARRIVING DATA CONTINUES TO SUGGEST
SUCH A SCENARIO...DANGEROUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS WILL BECOME LIKELY
FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH AT LEAST EARLY SUNDAY AS TEMPERATURES REMAIN
BELOW FREEZING.

They installed a heating system under the field awhile back so the field may be wet, but it won't be frozen. Slush?

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Slow down Hill hopefully as well

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
The fields these days have heaters beneath the playing surface to prevent icing It could get messy, but I think our power running game is better than KC's.

Isn't Bell a good mudder? Or will his quick-paced shifts be limited in bad weather? I hear Vaseline on the cleats helps prevent mud from clogging things up, allowing for a better grip of the surface. A new England Patriots solution, which for once is actually legal. A former player commented on this recently.

Spike

Reaction score
Advantage Ben & Bell. Small Hands Smith may be in for a long day...

That's what I was thinking...and if the roads are covered in ice the attendance will take a hit...

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Watch it knock out the power and they move the game to Monday.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Advantage Ben & Bell. Small Hands Smith may be in for a long day...

What, no head size talk?

Taken from the web:

Alex Smith doesn't have small hands. When it comes to American males, his 9 3/8-inch mitts are rather large. And he's right around the average for NFL quarterbacks. Joe Flacco's, for instance, are 9 5/8 inches. Aaron Rodgers' who plays well in bad weather measure in at 9 3/8 inches just like Smith's.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archi...yth-is-born-and-never-dies.html#storylink=cpy

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The fields these days have heaters beneath the playing surface to prevent icing It could get messy, but I think our power running game is better than KC's.

Isn't Bell a good mudder? Or will his quick-paced shifts be limited in bad weather? I hear Vaseline on the cleats helps prevent mud from clogging things up, allowing for a better grip of the surface. A new England Patriots solution, which for once is actually legal. A former player commented on this recently.
If you saw the Buffalo game that would answer your question

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

SteelerAl

Reaction score
What, no head size talk?

Taken from the web:

Alex Smith doesn't have small hands. When it comes to American males, his 9 3/8-inch mitts are rather large. And he's right around the average for NFL quarterbacks. Joe Flacco's, for instance, are 9 5/8 inches. Aaron Rodgers' who plays well in bad weather measure in at 9 3/8 inches just like Smith's.

Read more here: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archi...yth-is-born-and-never-dies.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks for the info, Coach. I'm really hoping some web site will do the work to analyze how Smith plays in wet conditions. He was certainly bad in week 4 in Pittsburgh (very heavy rain), and that reputation has followed him...would be interesting to know how much truth is there.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, Coach. I'm really hoping some web site will do the work to analyze how Smith plays in wet conditions. He was certainly bad in week 4 in Pittsburgh (very heavy rain), and that reputation has followed him...would be interesting to know how much truth is there.

Smith to me a is good, but not great QB who doesn't pass for a lot of yardages or throw many touchdowns but does make some plays with his arms and legs, while limiting mistakes. Kansas City was never strong at WR during his tenure there, but they do have some quality backs and TE's in the passing department.

Smith has been very good in the playoff with 11 touchdowns and just one interception for his career.

How is he in the rain? Someone can look up the game logs below and check for bad weather. I've only got another 18 munites for lunch!

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SmitAl03.htm

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Coach, serious question.. have you ever watched Alex Smith play a game?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach, serious question.. have you ever watched Alex Smith play a game?

Yeah, about 10 times in the pros and a few times in college. He a pretty good " game manager " Qb who plays within his system. He's fairly accurate and does not turn the ball over much. He's not great at throwing a deep ball, but he is surprisingly fast when he runs it and can beat LB's to the corner and run for yardage.

I'd say he's a top 10-14 type of NFL QB in the NFL, good enough to win a playoff game with talent around him.

Without revealing my age, I'm pretty sure I have watched more football than most here. I'm a junkie, even watching old classic games from time to time.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
His stats are quite good when he throws the ball within 2.5 seconds of the snap, but very poor if he holds it for 2.5+ seconds.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Why the hell do people not like to reveal their age, I never got that. Sorry back to the topic

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Yeah, about 10 times in the pros and a few times in college. He a pretty good " game manager " Qb who plays within his system. He's fairly accurate and does not turn the ball over much. He's not great at throwing a deep ball, but he is surprisingly fast when he runs it and can beat LB's to the corner and run for yardage.

I'd say he's a top 10-14 type of NFL QB in the NFL, good enough to win a playoff game with talent around him.

Without revealing my age, I'm pretty sure I have watched more football than most here. I'm a junkie, even watching old classic games from time to time.

I'm 38. I've seen Alex Smith plays dozens of NFL games. Probably watched 6-7 KC games in full this season.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I don't trust the weather forecast for the next day. Are you really going to trust the forecast for 6 days away?.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
On the pics from Tibs ... as the play took place, you could see Dupree going full speed and crushing Moore, just as the camera panned left to follow the football.

I expected to see a body bag when they returned the camera to Moore. Dude is tough, I give him that.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
What, no head size talk?

Taken from the web:

Mine are 10" even and I'm only 5'11". Them boys got small hands...j/k.