• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pickens a no show at Russ' throwing drills

Stewey

Reaction score
Tomlin didn't do crap.
Ben fed Brown for YEARS, and that kept his diva status manageable. When Ben finally had enough of Brown's **** and called him on it, Brown fell apart.

Tomlin just F'ing WATCHED.

And the mainstream blamed Ben for the problem. I believe it was Steven A. Smith that later recanted his position after learning what AB was all about.

Stewey

Reaction score
I do sometimes wonder if it is my age that influences my view of Tomlin and makes it different from the Tomlin "haters."

Growing up in the 70s, to be quite honest, I didn't give Chuck Noll much of a thought one way or the other. If they won, we gave credit to Terry Bradshaw and Franco or Jack Lambert or whoever. If they lost, we got mad at Terry Bradshaw or whoever. Chuck Noll never won coach of the year. Think about that. They won 4 in 6 and not once was he coach of the year. But Bradshaw won MVP in '78. Jack Lambert was Defensive Player of the Year in '76, I think. So in that environment the coaches just didn't elicit the same emotional response as they do today. I just laugh thinking that I had no damn idea who was the OC in 1978. Now, every Steeler fan knows the OC. You focused on the players. Chuck Noll himself thought that was most important, which is why he avoided the limelight.

I am not saying the coaching isn't important. It is. I'm just saying I wonder if this is why there is some disconnect. I would have preferred they moved on from Tomlin, no doubt, but I lose no sleep over it. I just don't give him that much thought. My mindset still is if their players make plays, they will win, regardless of who is coaching them.

On the subject of coaching and the 70's.

Other than game planning and play design, that team didn't need no stinkin coaching, or being "coached up".
Hell they didn't even need a game plan. They just went out there aimed at kicking some ***.

Terry could have drawn up plays in the dirt and they would have succeeded.
Such a heavy emphasis on coaching exists. Man I wish we had players today that didn't need coaching.

Last edited:

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Well Pickett did have the lowest TD / pass ratio ever all time NFL record, so there is that………..

Salute the nation
Yea, there is that. THE lowest TD/pass ratio ALL TIME in history....what a cluster f--k. SMH. Only a perfect storm could produce that, and, yes, there sure was one: an awful QB, an awful OC followed by a bumbling, pure fool at HC.

diver

Reaction score
Yea, there is that. THE lowest TD/pass ratio ALL TIME in history....what a cluster f--k. SMH. Only a perfect storm could produce that, and, yes, there sure was one: an awful QB, an awful OC followed by a bumbling, pure fool at HC.
Boy, one would think in that span they only won a couple of games after reading the absolute doom of that post. Wait, they won 19 over that stretch.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
On the subject of coaching and the 70's.

Other than game planning and play design, that team didn't need no stinkin coaching, or being "coached up".
Hell they didn't even need a game plan. They just went out there aimed at kicking some ***.

Terry could have drawn up plays in the dirt and they would have succeeded.
Such a heavy emphasis on coaching exists. Man I wish we had players today that didn't need coaching.

Here is where I think you are misguided a little. The coaching was superb in that era, in so many ways. Fundamentals where coached explicitly and often. Game time decisions where made always to better the team in position to win, along with a little moxy to boot.

EVEN those very good players were coached up. Our very own TJ WATT needs coached up (JJ does TJ's coaching up) but our coaching can't do it. The 70's era would be able to.

Yes players were football players, but HC on down were coaches as well. Today's coaching is watered down no experience type coaching. Tomlin had zilch for experience when he was hired. Hasn't been able to coach anyone up in a long time. Has a tendency to play players out of their strengths, instead of into them. 70s era coaches put players in their strength roles.

Salute the nation

Stewey

Reaction score
Here is where I think you are misguided a little. The coaching was superb in that era, in so many ways. Fundamentals where coached explicitly and often. Game time decisions where made always to better the team in position to win, along with a little moxy to boot.

EVEN those very good players were coached up. Our very own TJ WATT needs coached up (JJ does TJ's coaching up) but our coaching can't do it. The 70's era would be able to.

Yes players were football players, but HC on down were coaches as well. Today's coaching is watered down no experience type coaching. Tomlin had zilch for experience when he was hired. Hasn't been able to coach anyone up in a long time. Has a tendency to play players out of their strengths, instead of into them. 70s era coaches put players in their strength roles.

Salute the nation

But fundamentals were taught in high school ...my feeling is that after college and by the time you enter the pros they should have the fundamentals down. Being given the title of "professional" and paid handsomely, one would assume they would have a solid grasp of the fundamentals.
That goes with any profession.

I'm confused about what exactly does "coached up" mean? How does one get coached up?
What is the process by which a coach plays a player to his strengths? I could see this perhaps with skill players, but an offensive lineman for example, or any defensive position...you either can play the position or you can't.

What does a "game time decision" entail other than deciding whether or not an injured player is able to go?

You hear a lot about "making halftime adjustments", but what you never hear is what the adjustment actually is or what it should be.

To me it's always been a bunch of mumbo jumbo. It's like pretending there's something scientific out of something that isn't. To use the old cliche, "It aint rocket science". I've always just played along for amusement, like you play along with the rhetoric that comes out of pro wrestling. Make no mistake, I don't liken pro football to pro wrestling. The rhetoric isn't same either, but just that there is rhetoric.

I'm only concerned about my guy beating the guys *** across from him.

Oh and btw...and those post-game coaches press conferences. All 32 coaches, the same talking points and cliches. Tomlin happens to be the best at it.
Comments from the loser..."We made too many mistakes, can't win in this league like that", "didn't take advantage of the opportunities", "they wanted it more than us", "give the other team credit", "it all starts with me" yadda yadda. So much bullshit there too.

I've always felt that the hiring and firing of head coaches in many cases has less to do with what the coach did or didn't do, but is more a psychological thing.
A new face, a new voice, new ways of getting through to players.

Tomlin had no experience when hired but he certainly does now!
I'm not sure what you mean by watered down coaches.
This?
Chuck Noll had 5 assistants. (I could have coached that roster...no, not really. lol)
Tomlin has:
  • Teryl Austin Defensive Coordinator
  • Arthur Smith Offensive Coordinator
  • Danny Smith Special Teams Coordinator
  • Tom Arth Quarterbacks Coach
  • Zach Azzanni Wide Receivers Coach
  • Grady Brown Secondary Coach
  • Aaron Curry Inside Linebackers Coach
  • Karl Dunbar Defensive Line Coach
  • Eddie Faulkner Running Backs Coach
  • Denzel Martin Outside Linebackers Coach
  • Pat Meyer Offensive Line Coach
  • Alfredo Roberts Tight Ends Coach
  • Mike Sullivan Senior Offensive Assistant
  • Matt Baker Offensive Assistant
  • Mateo Kambui Offensive Assistant
  • Anthony Midget Assistant Secondary Coach
  • Isaac Williams Assistant Offensive Line Coach
  • Jason Brooks Defensive Quality Control Coach

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
But fundamentals were taught in high school ...my feeling is that after college and by the time you enter the pros they should have the fundamentals down. Being given the title of "professional" and paid handsomely, one would assume they would have a solid grasp of the fundamentals.
That goes with any profession.

I'm confused about what exactly does "coached up" mean? How does one get coached up?
What is the process by which a coach plays a player to his strengths? I could see this perhaps with skill players, but an offensive lineman for example, or any defensive position...you either can play the position or you can't.

What does a "game time decision" entail other than deciding whether or not an injured player is able to go?

You hear a lot about "making halftime adjustments", but what you never hear is what the adjustment actually is or what it should be.

To me it's always been a bunch of mumbo jumbo. It's like pretending there's something scientific out of something that isn't. To use the old cliche, "It aint rocket science". I've always just played along for amusement, like you play along with the rhetoric that comes out of pro wrestling. Make no mistake, I don't liken pro football to pro wrestling. The rhetoric isn't same either, but just that there is rhetoric.

I'm only concerned about my guy beating the guys *** across from him.

Oh and btw...and those post-game coaches press conferences. All 32 coaches, the same talking points and cliches. Tomlin happens to be the best at it.
Comments from the loser..."We made too many mistakes, can't win in this league like that", "didn't take advantage of the opportunities", "they wanted it more than us", "give the other team credit", "it all starts with me" yadda yadda. So much bullshit there too.

I've always felt that the hiring and firing of head coaches in many cases has less to do with what the coach did or didn't do, but is more a psychological thing.
A new face, a new voice, new ways of getting through to players.

Tomlin had no experience when hired but he certainly does now!
I'm not sure what you mean by watered down coaches.
This?
Chuck Noll had 5 assistants. (I could have coached that roster...no, not really. lol)
Tomlin has:
  • Teryl Austin Defensive Coordinator
  • Arthur Smith Offensive Coordinator
  • Danny Smith Special Teams Coordinator
  • Tom Arth Quarterbacks Coach
  • Zach Azzanni Wide Receivers Coach
  • Grady Brown Secondary Coach
  • Aaron Curry Inside Linebackers Coach
  • Karl Dunbar Defensive Line Coach
  • Eddie Faulkner Running Backs Coach
  • Denzel Martin Outside Linebackers Coach
  • Pat Meyer Offensive Line Coach
  • Alfredo Roberts Tight Ends Coach
  • Mike Sullivan Senior Offensive Assistant
  • Matt Baker Offensive Assistant
  • Mateo Kambui Offensive Assistant
  • Anthony Midget Assistant Secondary Coach
  • Isaac Williams Assistant Offensive Line Coach
  • Jason Brooks Defensive Quality Control Coach
The only coaching for a professional is putting them in certain systems where their weaknesses are not as exposed.

Like an offensive lineman who probably struggles in pass rush cause he lacks movement but has other intangibles - maybe he’s good at pulling and thrives being athletic etc.

There are little nuances such as seperation, field vision. On defense does one have a tendency to hold a lot if they are a DB? Etc. So coaches at that level are by all technicalities evaluating strengths, weaknesses and constructing those strengths alongside the other 50+ players who make a roster.

I agree. All this is coaching is done at the lower levels. By the time these guys are good enough to go D1 and pro then, that’s it. They’re professional.

Everything is just lip service and novelty at the professional level