• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pickens a no show at Russ' throwing drills

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...e-pickens-russell-wilson-throwing-drills-nfl/

(I checked before posting, article was not on SN.)

Not a promising sign for sure. I think we have a real immature diva on our hands. His attitude has not improved. Oh sure, this could be nothing, it could be.

But I sure don't like Shades' track record with diva-like players, it's horrid, God awful. His track record just blows with this type of player.

Reactions: xjx

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...e-pickens-russell-wilson-throwing-drills-nfl/

(I checked before posting, article was not on SN.)

Not a promising sign for sure. I think we have a real immature diva on our hands. His attitude has not improved. Oh sure, this could be nothing, it could be.

But I sure don't like Shades' track record with diva-like players, it's horrid, God awful. His track record just blows with this type of player.
Well he did keep AB in control forbyears

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score
There are so many rules and regulations now about what can and can't be done with teams and players ........... I would be more concerned if he doesn't show up for any OTA's with team.
These QB / WRs get togethers in sunny locations mean very little... and it takes away precious off season time to race exotic cars and get into trouble with the law.......

steelhurt

Reaction score
I wouldn’t be opposed to moving him for the right price. This is not a SB team. This is not a contending team.
This is an organization caught in the crossfire of mediocrity and being really bad.
An old QB that could very well be done, we shall see and another that they say has lots of potential, so we shall see where that goes.
Lots of holes, RT, WR, Center, CB, DL and yes, some can be addressed in the draft but not all.
Then you have depth issues on both lines.
And sitting at the top, the architect of this all, Mike Tomlin. Never quite bad enough to draft elite or good enough compete with the elite.
Stuck in the middle heading toward the drain!

Poobah

Reaction score
At this point, I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. We don't know why he wasn't there and could have had a legit reason for missing it.
^this^
I took a quick listen to the podcast but not in detail...skipped ahead and such...so it is possible I missed, i did not catch when this event occurred or any mention as to why GP was not there. I certainly didn't hear a thing that suggested he didn't show up because of attitude. Perhaps the man is on a south pacific island with some bacon and a hot chick enjoying his leave time. Perhaps he was with family for Easter. Perhaps he simply had other plans when the throw-a-thon happened. Certainly nothing I heard indicates some disgruntled player or pouty player.

EDIT: FWIW, I listened to the section on the podcast again. Only Van Jefferson, CAIII and Pat F. were there with Russ. Four guys got together for an informal, non-team off season activity on their own time and what gets cherry picked is that GP isn't there. No mention that Denzel or Marquez or Washington or any other guy in a pass catching role isn't there...just GP and even that isn't mentioned in the podcast. The article summarizing the podcast does. Sounds a lot like a reporter fishing for clicks.

Last edited:

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
If Georgie becomes a problem and I’m not saying he will or that he is, but if he does, move him the **** out of town. We don’t need the headache!
And Tomlin has proven to be an @ss clown dealing with diva types, a total incompetent clown.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think they have the luxury of doing anything with him this year. That cupboard is bare. They need to add to the room not take away from it.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
There are so many rules and regulations now about what can and can't be done with teams and players ........... I would be more concerned if he doesn't show up for any OTA's with team.
These QB / WRs get togethers in sunny locations mean very little... and it takes away precious off season time to race exotic cars and get into trouble with the law.......
Pickens doesn't make enough to be sporting serious race cars yet, well, he can afford a Corvette (which is the model that Rice ,KC, just wrecked).

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Pickens doesn't make enough to be sporting serious race cars yet, well, he can afford a Corvette (which is the model that Rice ,KC, just wrecked).

Rice was driving the Lambo which was racing the corvette. As for Pickens i would not make too much of this yet. Would have been a better look if he was there, but it's an informal get together.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
I don't think they have the luxury of doing anything with him this year. That cupboard is bare. They need to add to the room not take away from it.
I agree to a degree but not without any parameters whatsoever. It's not as if we are anywhere close to contending for a ring this year. If Pickens reverts to the "un-blocking" slacker as last year, you got to move him off the team; you can't put up with such blatant disregard for team cohesiveness/effort. You just can't have that kind of a hole attitude, even though coach Shades clearly doesn't grasp that.

diver

Reaction score
And Tomlin has proven to be an @ss clown dealing with diva types, a total incompetent clown.
Yep. Total @ss clown.

He kept Antonio Brown at a Hall of Fame level for 6 years, from 2013 to 2018. Judging by the way things went for Brown at his other stops did you ever think that Tomlin handled him as best as could be? How should have he been handled differently? In the years when he was producing at the Hall of Fame level? Not now, with the typical 20/20 backwards vision. If Tomlin goes all hard core, he more than likely melts down sooner. Then that would have been Tomlin's fault, too. I've read people say..."They shouda traded him!!!" Yeah, right. Could have you seen the meltdown here if they would have traded him when he was at his peak in those years?

The discussion shouldn't be on how Tomlin handles divas because these divas aren't handled well by anybody. It should be about avoiding divas as much as possible. But the problem is the divas tend to be the most talented. It's only gonna get worse with NIL. These guys who are so used to having their way on everything, NIL takes that to steroid level. And I am not necessarily against NIL...but it sure won't help.

Paul G

Bleed Black 'n' Gold
Contributor
Reaction score

Not much client confidentiality with the exotic car rental place............ dude just hurt his own business .... cooperate with authorities but who goes on the news with that....... dude

My niece in Manhattan has one of those Lambo SUVs ......... I will have to go for a spin ......next time she visits Canada..... It is NO luxury S10 ...but you gotta start somewhere

Rice is cooked ..

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Total @ss clown.

He kept Antonio Brown at a Hall of Fame level for 6 years, from 2013 to 2018. Judging by the way things went for Brown at his other stops did you ever think that Tomlin handled him as best as could be? How should have he been handled differently? In the years when he was producing at the Hall of Fame level? Not now, with the typical 20/20 backwards vision. If Tomlin goes all hard core, he more than likely melts down sooner. Then that would have been Tomlin's fault, too. I've read people say..."They shouda traded him!!!" Yeah, right. Could have you seen the meltdown here if they would have traded him when he was at his peak in those years?

The discussion shouldn't be on how Tomlin handles divas because these divas aren't handled well by anybody. It should be about avoiding divas as much as possible. But the problem is the divas tend to be the most talented. It's only gonna get worse with NIL. These guys who are so used to having their way on everything, NIL takes that to steroid level. And I am not necessarily against NIL...but it sure won't help.
Ugh that was timing issue. Enough said