• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Pickens a no show at Russ' throwing drills

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2...e-pickens-russell-wilson-throwing-drills-nfl/

(I checked before posting, article was not on SN.)

Not a promising sign for sure. I think we have a real immature diva on our hands. His attitude has not improved. Oh sure, this could be nothing, it could be.

But I sure don't like Shades' track record with diva-like players, it's horrid, God awful. His track record just blows with this type of player.
I'm giving him a pass on the mtg.

George is very coachable player. And your assessment could be true but maybe he had a conflict and couldn't make it?

Only time will tell...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. Total @ss clown.

He kept Antonio Brown at a Hall of Fame level for 6 years, from 2013 to 2018. Judging by the way things went for Brown at his other stops did you ever think that Tomlin handled him as best as could be? How should have he been handled differently? In the years when he was producing at the Hall of Fame level? Not now, with the typical 20/20 backwards vision. If Tomlin goes all hard core, he more than likely melts down sooner. Then that would have been Tomlin's fault, too. I've read people say..."They shouda traded him!!!" Yeah, right. Could have you seen the meltdown here if they would have traded him when he was at his peak in those years?

The discussion shouldn't be on how Tomlin handles divas because these divas aren't handled well by anybody. It should be about avoiding divas as much as possible. But the problem is the divas tend to be the most talented. It's only gonna get worse with NIL. These guys who are so used to having their way on everything, NIL takes that to steroid level. And I am not necessarily against NIL...but it sure won't help.
Thread done. Amen.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
People always rave how Tomlin was able to avoid Brown showing what an ******* he was. Anyone ever consider what his trade value was before teams knew what he was or how much damage he did to the team culture.
Confused. AB could have been traded in his prime for a Ricky Williams type of trade. He was the best WR in the league for 6 consecutive years. If he would have never left and stayed he'd be a first ballot HOFer.

Crazy caught up and now he'll only be able to buy a yellow jacket from The Men's Warehouse...

Do you agree???

madinsomniac

Reaction score
So look around the league and problem wrs are popping up everywhere..
What you dont want to do is sell too early or too late on them... had we traded AB a year earlier, we would have gotten a kings random

If the titans had signed him and held on to their Brown a year longer, maybe he returns even more...

Though i am on board with selling high on all wrs right now

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
No argument except for giving GP a pass for blatantly not giving even 5% of effort on that block; there is NO EXCUSE for such complete giving up on a play, none. You have zero competitive spirit giving up like that, I couldn't do it in a backyard game. Where is any team effort? How can you just give up ike that? Especially when you are doing it for a living? And it's hardly just that one play; GP is infamous for "giving up" when running routes. He just doesn't give a f--k.
Had George blocked on that play and then gets his leg broken because the defender doesn't ease up and we lose him like both starting ILBs - what would the storyline be then???

It was one play. He learned from it and he doesn't have a history of "not wanting" to block. Business decision, at the moment, I'm ok with his decision even though that doesn't matter either.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Had George blocked on that play and then gets his leg broken because the defender doesn't ease up and we lose him like both starting ILBs - what would the storyline be then???

It was one play. He learned from it and he doesn't have a history of "not wanting" to block. Business decision, at the moment, I'm ok with his decision even though that doesn't matter either.
Then each and every player in the NFL should avoid contact each and every play just in case they might get injured. How's that?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Confused. AB could have been traded in his prime for a Ricky Williams type of trade. He was the best WR in the league for 6 consecutive years. If he would have never left and stayed he'd be a first ballot HOFer.

Crazy caught up and now he'll only be able to buy a yellow jacket from The Men's Warehouse...

Do you agree???
Agreed. And at point where they knew he was crazy he should have been traded. After lockeroom broadcast would have been great time.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Then each and every player in the NFL should avoid contact each and every play just in case they might get injured. How's that?
I am not going to argue that it was a bad look on his part,and of course it pissed me off with the lack of effort.
Let’s hope he learned from all the criticism. Iwill add…in today’s world of television cameras catching every play,if you don’t think that HinesWard,or mean Joe,or every player in the NFL didn’t take the odd play off,I think you’d be sadly mistaken.
Let’s move on.

diver

Reaction score
Agreed. And at point where they knew he was crazy he should have been traded. After lockeroom broadcast would have been great time.
Look, in no way shape or form am I saying that locker room broadcast was a good situation. But I think it is important to have some perspective. When I was young, I loved Ernie Homes. I thought the arrowhead was so cool as an 8 year old kid. However, he shot at a helicopter evading police. Apparently, according to Three Bricks Shy of a Load, he would ask the Rooneys for advancements on his salary on occasion to help get out of money problems. He had weight struggles. Should have the Steelers traded him?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Bottom line. You see the guy every day and put up with his bullshit every day. Then he broadcasts from inside locker room. You can still get 1st round plus for him. Take it.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Lambo makes an SUV? That's like a vegan making barbecue sauce.
Where we now live, we see all these rich soccer moms running around in the Porsche Cayenne’s. I even saw a Ferrari Purosangue in CD’A a couple weeks ago. The high end GMC Yukons and Lexus don’t cut it any more.

Last edited:

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
Where we no live, we see all these rich soccer moms running around in the Porsche Cayenne’s. I even saw a Ferrari Purosangue in CD’A a couple weeks ago. The high end GMC Yukons and Lexus don’t cut it any more.
And my bro in law can’t find a new Chevy express van to buy.

diver

Reaction score
Bottom line. You see the guy every day and put up with his bullshit every day. Then he broadcasts from inside locker room. You can still get 1st round plus for him. Take it.
I get that. I'm not saying you are wrong. Upon reflection maybe they should have. But he was a damn good player. For 6 years he was as good of a WR as there is, we cannot deny that. What's the return for that? A 1st rounder and a little more? Is that enough for a talent like that? Or do you try to make it work somehow? It's draft season now and everyone gets a boner for draft picks...but look how many do not pan out or just end up being good, not great.

Look, they didn't win with him. Had they won, this would not even be a discussion, regardless of what he did. Other teams have won in the mist of chaos. The Steelers did not, and I think that is a fair criticism of Tomlin. He didn't make it work to a championship. What is not a fair criticism is that he somehow didn't discipline right. Great players will be tolerated...everywhere.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm giving him a pass on the mtg.

George is very coachable player. And your assessment could be true but maybe he had a conflict and couldn't make it?

Only time will tell...
Is this speculation or have you been at the Steeler's practices and meetings? Seeing him pouting on the sidelines the last 2 seasons might say otherwise ....I am 100% speculating though.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score

LOL.......besides the fact that he didn't block on that giving play in question...and stated the reason why.....you would be correct.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I get that. I'm not saying you are wrong. Upon reflection maybe they should have. But he was a damn good player. For 6 years he was as good of a WR as there is, we cannot deny that. What's the return for that? A 1st rounder and a little more? Is that enough for a talent like that? Or do you try to make it work somehow? It's draft season now and everyone gets a boner for draft picks...but look how many do not pan out or just end up being good, not great.

Look, they didn't win with him. Had they won, this would not even be a discussion, regardless of what he did. Other teams have won in the mist of chaos. The Steelers did not, and I think that is a fair criticism of Tomlin. He didn't make it work to a championship. What is not a fair criticism is that he somehow didn't discipline right. Great players will be tolerated...everywhere.
It seems to me that Tomlin is super good with guys like Watt, Heyward etc. Not so much with the problem children. I wouldn't say that he didn't discipline Brown right. What I would say is there is a narrative where he did a great job of it. But there is no way to say what the cost was. Since.....if someone is a problem they are just gone. Claypool, Johnson, Okafor, Melvin Ingrim, Pickett.

steel dino

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
It seems to me that Tomlin is super good with guys like Watt, Heyward etc. Not so much with the problem children. I wouldn't say that he didn't discipline Brown right. What I would say is there is a narrative where he did a great job of it. But there is no way to say what the cost was. Since.....if someone is a problem they are just gone. Claypool, Johnson, Okafor, Melvin Ingrim, Pickett.
It is very easy to manage high performing, excellent attitude, team player employees..
Wish every employee that I have managed over the years had all those characteristics..

I would of made the Wall Street Journals Business Manager of the Year multiple times!

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
In today’s world that type of **** does not happen anymore. I don’t think the word “ fear “ is in any dressing room at all in any pro sports when it comes to coaching. Apples to Oranges.
The players just say **** you if they get into that type of situation. The old days are long gone.
These guys are not fearful of some “authoritive” figure.
These guys are often making more than their head coaches, ring in more endorsement deals than their coaches.

They’re protected by their union and often can do the bare minimum while still performing on gameday.

Pro sports is just a business. Sure owners and coaches can threaten to cut a guy, but it often ends up as bad PR and sometimes the said athlete wins on another team.

The power/authority technically lies in the players. Coaches are just glorified managers

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
These guys are not fearful of some “authoritive” figure.
These guys are often making more than their head coaches, ring in more endorsement deals than their coaches.

They’re protected by their union and often can do the bare minimum while still performing on gameday.

Pro sports is just a business. Sure owners and coaches can threaten to cut a guy, but it often ends up as bad PR and sometimes the said athlete wins on another team.

The power/authority technically lies in the players. Coaches are just glorified managers
I agree the old-school "my way or the highway" coaches are pretty scarce these days on the pro level. But would you really call Andy Reid nothing but a "glorified manager?" I wouldn't. He still does a lot of coaching in my book.

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Dude ain’t going to change ..
So with that being said..
How do we get a 100/1500/15 season out of him ..
Well, Buffalo pulled it off with Diggs, but even with him, they eventually had to wave the white flag and bounce him. I actually wouldn't be shocked if booting him is a case of addition through subtraction. He has been more of a headache than a contributor the last few years. It's possible we could get a year or two out of GP before he's just too much of a problem child. Possible.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
I agree the old-school "my way or the highway" coaches are pretty scarce these days on the pro level. But would you really call Andy Reid nothing but a "glorified manager?" I wouldn't. He still does a lot of coaching in my book.
Yeah i miss diamond dave. No nonsense.. Dumbasses coming back under different names etc.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Good coaches do create systems for their players to thrive. But that’s all a coach is at the professional level.

Coaching is done at the pee wee, high school and collegiate level.

Players know their stuff at the professional level. They just have to have a coach who manages them onto a good career