• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My Mock Along Mock

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Like many here I appreciate your time and effort Ford !!!!

You have a great "pen to paper" way of evaluating and I enjoy reading what you have to say.

Thanks again and look forward to your post(s) along the way.

Salute the nation

FordFairLane

Reaction score
RD1(20)- Daxton Hill S Michigan
Best player on my board and in a need position. Edmunds is on a one year deal and Fitz isn’t locked up. This gives us depth and a likely starter next year.

RD2(52)- Travis Jones DT UCONN
We were soft up the middle and Jones immediately fixes this. Jones is a bull that will collapse the pocket.

RD3(84)- Leo Chenal LB Wisconsin
Chenal is a throwback hard nosed football player. Definitely comes in takes the buck spot and fixes our run defense whoas.

RD4(138)- Sam Howell QB UNC
I really didn’t want a QB this year but there’s just no way I can pass on Howell again after I fixed our defensive wows. Howell gives us insurance if Rudolph or Trubisky can’t get the job done.

RD6(208)- Thayer Munford OL Ohio State
Munford is either a road grader RT or RG. Gives us depth and perhaps a new starter over Chuks.

RD7(225)- Rasheed Walker OL Penn State
Walker was too good to pass up here. Very inconsistent but I feel his best football is in front of him. Maybe he stays at LT or kick him inside.

RD7(241)- Justyn Ross WR Clemson
Injury has always been an issue with Justyn but I just can’t deny the talent when he’s healthy.

(For the fun of it)
So it was brought to my attention that we could have easily taken the Chiefs trade and fell back to #29 and added picks #94 & #121. So here’s that draft.

RD1(29)- Daxton Hill
RD2(52)- Travis Jones
RD3(84)- Leo Chenal
RD3(94)- Daniel Faalele
RD4(121)- Romeo Doubs
RD4(138)- Sam Howell
RD6(208)- Isaiah Thomas
RD7(225)- Rasheed Walker
RD7(241)- Mario Goodrich

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
UDFA’s I would have prioritized.

QB-
Carson Strong
Cole Kelley
Jack Coan
Dustin Crum
Aqeel Glass

RB-
Abram Smith
Master Teague
D’Vonte Price
Tyler Goodson
Max Borghi

WR-
Dai’Jean Dixon
Josh Johnson
Tre Turner
Charleston Rambo
Deven Thompkins
Braylon Sanders

TE-
Jalen Wydermyer
Chase Allen
Austin Allen

OT-
Obinna Eze
Jean Delance
Dare Rosenthal
Tyler Vrabel

IOL-
Alec Lindstrom
James Empey
Nick Ford
William Dunkle
Mike Maietti

Edge-
Carson Wells
Zack Vanvalkenburg
Ali Fayad

DL-
Jayden Peevy
LaBryan Ray
Tayland Humphrey
Marquan McCall

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
RD1(20)- Daxton Hill S Michigan
Best player on my board and in a need position. Edmunds is on a one year deal and Fitz isn’t locked up. This gives us depth and a likely starter next year.

RD2(52)- Travis Jones DT UCONN
We were soft up the middle and Jones immediately fixes this. Jones is a bull that will collapse the pocket.

RD3(84)- Leo Chenal LB Wisconsin
Chenal is a throwback hard nosed football player. Definitely comes in takes the buck spot and fixes our run defense whoas.

RD4(138)- Sam Howell QB UNC
I really didn’t want a QB this year but there’s just no way I can pass on Howell again after I fixed our defensive wows. Howell gives us insurance if Rudolph or Trubisky can’t get the job done.

RD6(208)- Thayer Munford OL Ohio State
Munford is either a road grader RT or RG. Gives us depth and perhaps a new starter over Chuks.

RD7(225)- Rasheed Walker OL Penn State
Walker was too good to pass up here. Very inconsistent but I feel his best football is in front of him. Maybe he stays at LT or kick him inside.

RD7(241)- Justyn Ross WR Clemson
Injury has always been an issue with Justyn but I just can’t deny the talent when he’s healthy.
Other than Howell (I just don't think he's an NFL QB), this would have been a very good draft in terms of building the defense. I think if you at least put Austin in there instead of a QB in the fourth and that helps address some of the depth issues there.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Other than Howell (I just don't think he's an NFL QB), this would have been a very good draft in terms of building the defense. I think if you at least put Austin in there instead of a QB in the fourth and that helps address some of the depth issues there.
I have to disagree with your assessment of Howell. I was not very high on any QB in this draft. It seemed like everyone was lacking and almost none of them had anything elite or special about them. Howell at least has an elite NFL arm. And his deep ball accuracy was second to none. I really don’t see a huge difference in upside between Pickett and Howell.
I do like the Calvin Austin iii pick but I’m not in love with it. Been down the mighty mouse trail a few too many times. I can’t think of a single NFL receiver that’s made it under 5-9. Tell me one and I’d change my mind.

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score
That is what was listed when I researched it.

NFL.com shows no official results from any pro day.

These all list him at 5-10.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Thanks FFL (love typing that). These MAM posts are fun. Did you apply for the GM job?
I’d give my left nut just to be a regional scout. I don’t even care about taking a pay cut.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
NFL.com shows no official results from any pro day.

These all list him at 5-10.

Yeah, I hear 'ya. And my high school listed me as 5'11", 195 lbs. in the program.

Sure. Wearing cleats and gear, you bet.

He was actually measured at 5'8".

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Believe what you want.

I don’t hate the pick but I look at him as a return man more than a receiver. He has an outside chance at being our slot guy in 2 or 3 years. But as of right now he has to beat out Gunner Olszewski just to make the team. Let’s just revisit this post next year.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Believe what you want.

I don’t hate the pick but I look at him as a return man more than a receiver. He has an outside chance at being our slot guy in 2 or 3 years. But as of right now he has to beat out Gunner Olszewski just to make the team. Let’s just revisit this post next year.
He had pretty solid production to be primarily just a returner.

I think they will put him in the slot and he will see decent amount of playing time. At least what RayRay saw...

FordFairLane

Reaction score
He had pretty solid production to be primarily just a returner.

I think they will put him in the slot and he will see decent amount of playing time. At least what RayRay saw...
My honest hope is Cole Beasley or Jamison Crowder production. Beasley is almost the exact same height/weight with similar college production. Jamison was a bit more productive but wasn’t nearly as fast. If he becomes either of those we got great value.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Believe what you want.

The Steelers aren't cutting a fourth rounder.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Gunner really isn't a threat to Austin. He's been exclusively a returner throughout his career. I don't think he comes to Pittsburgh and all of a sudden becomes an role playing receiver.
If Austin doesn’t return punts/kicks I don’t guarantee he beats out Anthony Miller or Miles Boykin. DJ, Claypool, Pickens are locks. Miller and Boykin are veterans who won’t be easy to supplant. And that means the easiest path to the 53 man is to be able to return punts and kicks AND be a capable 5/6 option. If he doesn’t show any return value then he has to straight up beat out two veteran receivers.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
If Austin doesn’t return punts/kicks I don’t guarantee he beats out Anthony Miller or Miles Boykin. DJ, Claypool, Pickens are locks. Miller and Boykin are veterans who won’t be easy to supplant. And that means the easiest path to the 53 man is to be able to return punts and kicks AND be a capable 5/6 option. If he doesn’t show any return value then he has to straight up beat out two veteran receivers.
I have a much too early group of DJ/Claypool/Pickens,Austin/Boykin/ and Gunner.

How I see it shaking out...

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Of that group who are slot capable? Miller and Austin only? Claypool should be.

Austin might have a straight path through the slot spot

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Of that group who are slot capable? Miller and Austin only? Claypool should be.

Austin might have a straight path through the slot spot
I honestly feel they should move DJ to slot in 3 or more receiver sets. That puts chase on the outside then Boykin/Pickens out the other side. If Boykin or Pickens can’t play the Z then DJ stays at X, Chase stays at Z and Miller and Austin iii fight it out for Y. Not saying Miller is the toughest veteran to supplant but if he isn’t going to get walked over. So then the decision has to be made by the return/special teams value. Gunner doesn’t only bring return valve he brings kick/punt coverage ability.
I don’t think he needs to flat out stomp Miller to win the job. I think if it’s remotely even his draft status will be the determining factor. But if Miller hands down beats Austin imo they’ll IR him and give him a little more time to develop for 2023.