• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

My Mock Along Mock

FordFairLane

Reaction score
So every year I do a mock along mock. I pick players at the same time as the Steelers. It's interesting to go back a few years and see how well or how not so well you do if you were to make the pick.

#22 Shaq Thompson S Washington
Thompson in my opinion was the best football player on the board. He can play OLB, ILB, S and RB. I personally have him him drop down to 210-215 and play SS and then kick to LB in certain sub packages. To me he is as close to Polamalu that has come out of college since Troy.

#56 Randy Gregory OLB Nebraska
I could not pass him up at this point. Get Peezy and Deebo to settle his *** down and hit the weight room and not the bong. Dude is a natural pass rusher and has the ability to drop into coverage if needed. Yes, he's an idiot for smoking weed knowing he'd be tested but he also has about 9 million reasons to remember not to do that again.

#88 Danielle Hunter OLB LSU
Yes, I know I just went OLB but he is by far the best guy on my board. He is a physical freak of nature and only 20 years old. Needed one more year to develop and made a big mistake coming into this draft. Right now we have JJ (bust), 38 years old James Harrison, journey man Arthur Moats, and just drafted Randy Gregory. I feel we will need two OLB's for the team in 2016 anyways so lets get them both now. Truthfully I think if the Steelers did not take Golson in the second he'd still be here for me to take.

#121 Doran Grant CB OSU
Grant fits what the Steelers do on defense. He plays zone, tackles well, has some hops, decent hands. I had him as a solid third round CB so I also feel the value is here.

#160 Lorenzo Doss CB Tulane
Since the Steelers took Golson early I come back and get a Golson like player in Doss. Doss is a very smooth CB with a nice back pedal, flips his hips well, has the speed to keep up on vertical routes. Not very big and can be handled by bigger receivers. Takes a few too many chances.

#199 Darren Waller WR Georgia Tech
Dude is freaky big and fast. I liked Smelter better and thought he'd still be on the board but someone else liked his tape and snagged him earlier on. Waller is a poor mans Calvin Johnson being 6-6 238lbs with a sub 4.5 forty time. He might switch to TE depending on what the coaches think but as of right now he should be a red zone guy who can develop.

#212 Ben Koyak TE Notre Dame
To me he's pretty much a safe pick at TE. He has nice athleticism, hands, and can block very well. Isn't going to wow you but I feel he has a high floor and at least is a #2 TE.

#239 Gerod Holliman FS Louisville
Holliman is a ballhawk and does a nice job of readying the QB and breaking on the ball. Also, he catches the ball something we seem not to be able to do at the moment.

I do like our draft don't get me wrong. I feel Dupree could be the next JPP and I think Golson should be a nice nickel DB and core special team guy. I just went different routes with my picks.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Golson should be a nice nickel DB and core special team guy

I also will not sell him short on the outside until he proves incapable of holding down that spot given the opportunity.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Here's my drafts since 2008. It is pretty interesting to go back and look at now.

#23 Rashard Mendenhall RB Illinois
#53 Kendall Langford DL Hampton
#88 Jermichael Finley TE Texas
#130 John David Booty QB USC
#156 Dominique Barber S Minnesota
#188 Larry Grant LB Ohio State
#194 Kirk Barton OT Ohio State
#32 James Laurinaitis LB Ohio State
#79 Kraig Urbik OG Wisconsin
#84 Travis Beckham TE Wisconsin
#96 Keenan Lewis CB Oregon State
#168 Jarius Wynn DL Georgia
#169 Matt Slauson OL Nebraska
#205 Ra’Shon Harris DL Oregon
#226 A.Q. Shipley OC Penn State
#241 Ricky Jean Francois DL LSU
#18 Demaryius Thomas WR Georgia Tech
#52 Sean Lee LB Penn State
#82 Jimmy Graham TE Miami
#116 Thaddeus Gibson LB Ohio State
#151 Larry Asante S Nebraska
#164 Marshall Newhouse OG TCU
#166 Sam Young OT Notre Dame
#188 Trindon Holliday WR LSU
#195 Myron Rolle S Florida State
#242 LeGarrette Blount RB Oregon
#31 Cameron Hayward DL Ohio State
#63 Randall Cobb WR Kentucky
#95 Jordan Cameron TE USC
#128 Davon House CB New Mexico State
#162 Evan Royster RB Penn State
#196 Greg McElroy QB Alabama
#232 Greg Lloyd Jr OLB UConn
#24 David DeCastro OG Stanford
#56 Mike Adams OT Ohio State
#86 TY Hilton WR Florida International
#109 Alameda Ta’amu DT Washington
#159 Chris Rainey RB Florida
#231 Rod Streater WR Temple
#240 Case Keenum QB Houston
#246 Vontaze Burfict LB Arizona State
#17 Cordarrelle Patterson WR Tennessee
#48 Eddie Lacy RB Alabama
#79 Demontre Moore OLB Texas A&M
#91(Sanders Trade) Stedman Bailey WR WVU
#111 Shamarko Thomas S Syracuse
#115 Khaseem Greene LB Rutgers
#150 Micah Hyde CB Iowa
#186 Andre Ellington RB Clemson
#206 Joe Kruger DL Utah
#223 Tyler Bray QB Tennessee
#15 Ryan Shazier LB Ohio State
#46 Stephon Tuitt DL Notre Dame
#97 Dri Archer RB Kent State
#118 Martavis Bryant WR Clemson
#157 John Urschel OG Penn State
#173 EJ Gaines CB Missouri
#192 Daniel McCullers DT Tennessee
#215 Jonathan Dowling S Western Kentucky
#230 Howard Jones OLB Shepherd

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
if we had reached for shaq thompson my head would've exploded.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Pulled this out of the archives. Shaq Thompson has had a pretty good season at OLB. Like I said he'd be a safety if I'd of drafted him. Randy Gregory got hurt and hasn't done much since. Danielle Hunter has 6 sacks in limited action. 2 more than Dupree. Grant and Doss haven't done anything yet. Waller got hurt early went on IR. Koyack made the jags 53 man but is stuck behind 3 other good tight ends.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So every year I do a mock along mock. I pick players at the same time as the Steelers. It's interesting to go back a few years and see how well or how not so well you do if you were to make the pick.

#22 Shaq Thompson S Washington
Thompson in my opinion was the best football player on the board. He can play OLB, ILB, S and RB. I personally have him him drop down to 210-215 and play SS and then kick to LB in certain sub packages. To me he is as close to Polamalu that has come out of college since Troy.

#56 Randy Gregory OLB Nebraska
I could not pass him up at this point. Get Peezy and Deebo to settle his *** down and hit the weight room and not the bong. Dude is a natural pass rusher and has the ability to drop into coverage if needed. Yes, he's an idiot for smoking weed knowing he'd be tested but he also has about 9 million reasons to remember not to do that again.

#88 Danielle Hunter OLB LSU
Yes, I know I just went OLB but he is by far the best guy on my board. He is a physical freak of nature and only 20 years old. Needed one more year to develop and made a big mistake coming into this draft. Right now we have JJ (bust), 38 years old James Harrison, journey man Arthur Moats, and just drafted Randy Gregory. I feel we will need two OLB's for the team in 2016 anyways so lets get them both now. Truthfully I think if the Steelers did not take Golson in the second he'd still be here for me to take.

#121 Doran Grant CB OSU
Grant fits what the Steelers do on defense. He plays zone, tackles well, has some hops, decent hands. I had him as a solid third round CB so I also feel the value is here.

#160 Lorenzo Doss CB Tulane
Since the Steelers took Golson early I come back and get a Golson like player in Doss. Doss is a very smooth CB with a nice back pedal, flips his hips well, has the speed to keep up on vertical routes. Not very big and can be handled by bigger receivers. Takes a few too many chances.

#199 Darren Waller WR Georgia Tech
Dude is freaky big and fast. I liked Smelter better and thought he'd still be on the board but someone else liked his tape and snagged him earlier on. Waller is a poor mans Calvin Johnson being 6-6 238lbs with a sub 4.5 forty time. He might switch to TE depending on what the coaches think but as of right now he should be a red zone guy who can develop.

#212 Ben Koyak TE Notre Dame
To me he's pretty much a safe pick at TE. He has nice athleticism, hands, and can block very well. Isn't going to wow you but I feel he has a high floor and at least is a #2 TE.

#239 Gerod Holliman FS Louisville
Holliman is a ballhawk and does a nice job of readying the QB and breaking on the ball. Also, he catches the ball something we seem not to be able to do at the moment.

I do like our draft don't get me wrong. I feel Dupree could be the next JPP and I think Golson should be a nice nickel DB and core special team guy. I just went different routes with my picks.

I wasn't a Thompson guy. Did not like him at all in round one. A tweener type

I still like Gregory ,but think he woudl be better off on another team. He got hurt early. I saw some QB pressures, but he did not get a sack.

Kudos on the Hunter pick, the rookie had 6 sacks.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I wasn't a Thompson guy. Did not like him at all in round one. A tweener type

I still like Gregory ,but think he woudl be better off on another team. He got hurt early. I saw some QB pressures, but he did not get a sack.

Kudos on the Hunter pick, the rookie had 6 sacks.

He was a tweener but is definitely a football player. The panthers saw him as a LB (which they probably see him as a future replacement for Thomas Davis) I personally thought Thompson could just as easily play at 210-215 and speed up and play safety. He's that good of an athlete where he could play several positions and be good at any of them. Gregory was a steal and even with his baggage I would have rolled the dice. If he didn't get his head on right it's easier dropping a second round pick than first. Dude definitely has top 10 talent. Hunter was like 20 years old and a physical freak of nature. I know doubling down on a position might not be smart but he was insurance in case Gragory pulls a bone head move. I figured Hunter was a 2 year project but if you could get him to play up to his potential again you are getting a steal. I think if Hunter stayed at LSU one more season and had a 10+ sack year he's a top 15 pick. I feel he just needed coaching. Doss and Koyack are both stuck behind some good players and just making the 53 man was going to be tough. Doss has Talib, Harris, and first round pick Roby in front of him. And Koyack has Julius Thomas, Mercedes Lewis, and Clay Harbor in front of him. Time will tell I guess with the rest.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
With hindsight there was no way in hell we were going to draft Randy Gregory in any round...we have enough of those problems in house already with Martavis.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
In hindsight I would have taken Sherman round 3 instead of Allen and Brown R4 in 2011 and Julius Thomas in round 4.....

FordFairLane

Reaction score
In hindsight I would have taken Sherman round 3 instead of Allen and Brown R4 in 2011 and Julius Thomas in round 4.....

I do these at the time of the draft not in hindsight.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
My mock along mock 2016. After the Bungholes take WJIII I'd do this crazy thing and listen to trade offers. Low and behold the Broncos were looking to move up by giving up #31 and #94. I look at my board and none of the CBs are a value and my top rated players both have major injury concerns. My highest rated player that's not injured or a WR is Vernon Butler. I'm ok taking Butler here but I'm more ok trading back and getting an extra third. So I trade back with the donkeys.

#31- Myles Jack LB UCLA
I stay true to my board and looking at who's left I honestly don't see anyone who will start in 2016. I honestly think Burns would still be on the board but I also still don't see him beating out Gay, Cockrell and Grant on the outside and don't think he has the feet to play nickel or dime. So I draft Jack IR him and have him get the Microfracture surgery and plan on him taking over for Timmons in 2017. Not often can you get a top 5 pick with the last pick in the first round. I'm not overly upset with him being injured because as I stated I don't see another player starting year one anyways. And even if healthy I don't think a rookie would start over Timmons probably just play some sub packages.

#58- Carl Nassib DL Penn State
I really do like Sean Davis but I stick with my with my board. Nassib is a poor man's JJ Watt and would help create pressure and be able to play a few different positions. He also will be able to spell Tuitt or Heyward and provide depth.

#89- Justin Simmons S Boston College
Simmons was in the mix for my second round pick but I had Nassib as an early second so I went BPA. Simmons is long, quick, smart, good tackler, takes correct angles, and is a leader.

#98- Andrew Billings DT Baylor
In my opinion this is a good value for a NT. I think he actually fell because he's viewed as a two down player but I feel he can play on passing downs. Definitely surges up the front seven with Jack, Nassib, and Billings.

#123- Deiondre Hall CB Northern Iowa
I'm probably a bigger fan than most but I had Burns, Fuller, and Hall all ranked as second or third round picks. Hall has almost 35" arms, huge hands, big at 6-2. He's a bit of a long strider like Sherman but has good long speed.

#220- Travis Feeney LB Washington
Feeney is a quick twitched athlete with good college production. He definitely has to get stronger and I was leaning towards Stephen Weatherly but decided to go with the Steelers on this one.

#229- Keith Marshall RB Georgia
Went with a homerun hitting RB. Bell hasn't proved he can stay healthy, Williams is 32, and I feel Marshall has elite speed.

#246- Keyarris Garrett WR Tulsa
Big bodied long strider who is a mismatch with most CBs.

diver

Reaction score
What I do not understand in the above scenario is one of the gripes has been that the Steelers need guys who can play right now. I don't know if you have stated it, but I certainly have seen it stated. If Jack can't play the year, he can't help right now. At least with Burns here is a chance he can help this year. With Jack, in your scenario, there is no chance.

I am a PSU guy. Watch a lot of PSU football. I like Nassib a lot, but he is going to need time to get stronger and such. I don't see him helping all that much early, either.

All I am saying is that the issues people have with the real Steelers draft, could be had with yours, or anyone else that would put one together as such.

Also, I got scolded for an earlier response to you in a different thread. I just want it clear. I have no problem with disagreeing with the Steelers over picks. None whatsoever. This is a message board, and that is the way it should be. I take issue with the speculation about whether they tipped their hand, or they go to the podium too fast and let great trades on the table, or they panicked, or whatever.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
What I do not understand in the above scenario is one of the gripes has been that the Steelers need guys who can play right now. I don't know if you have stated it, but I certainly have seen it stated. If Jack can't play the year, he can't help right now. At least with Burns here is a chance he can help this year. With Jack, in your scenario, there is no chance.

I am a PSU guy. Watch a lot of PSU football. I like Nassib a lot, but he is going to need time to get stronger and such. I don't see him helping all that much early, either.

All I am saying is that the issues people have with the real Steelers draft, could be had with yours, or anyone else that would put one together as such.

Also, I got scolded for an earlier response to you in a different thread. I just want it clear. I have no problem with disagreeing with the Steelers over picks. None whatsoever. This is a message board, and that is the way it should be. I take issue with the speculation about whether they tipped their hand, or they go to the podium too fast and let great trades on the table, or they panicked, or whatever.

yeah on a SB caliber team do you draft a guy in 1 that can't contribute all year?

I am against that scenario

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Billings go one pick prior to our fourth round selection? So you can't mock him to us lol

Tibs

Contributor
Reaction score
I look at my board and none of the CBs are a value
And there you have it, the huge difference between your board and the Steelers board. Otherwise, nice mock draft.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Billings go one pick prior to our fourth round selection? So you can't mock him to us lol

That's why I took him with the 3rd round pick I received from Denver when I traded back.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Do this every year trying to keep finding my same post but also keep a hard copy. I lost my original post when the site changed or went down.

RD1- TJ Watt OLB Wisconsin
Was our biggest need IMO and a good value. He might not have the highest ceiling of all this years pass rushers but I feel he has the highest floor. I think we got a very good football player with pro bowl ability. He also is scheme diverse as he can play outside or inside linebacker. I think you have to play it safe round one and get a starter. Worst case scenario he's a starter.

RD2- Trade with Saints #76 and 2018 second round pick. Awful run as 5 of the last 6 picks I would have sat here and took but at the same time Saints were looking to trade back up for a pass rusher so I take that trade and move to 76 and get a 2018 2nd round pick.

RD3a(Saints)- D'Onta Foreman RB Texas
Get a power back with 4.4 speed. He needs to improve pass protection but he should immediately become that short yardage guy and Bells backup.

RD3b- Rasul Douglas CB UWV
Big outside CB who has a knack for coming up with the INT. Matchup guy for big receivers or tight ends.

RD3c(comp)- Dorian Johnson OG Pitt
Do we need a guard? No, but he's rated about 30-40 spots higher than this. OL and DL are two places I like depth.

RD4- Blair Brown ILB Ohio
Brown is an aggressive LB who takes great angles and covers lots of ground. More of a in the box ILB but shows ability to at least cover backs out into the flat and to play a zone. Tough choice between him and Kazee but I already went CB.

RD5- Xavier Woods S LA Tech
I like Brian Allen but I already went CB so I get our future replacement for Mitchell. Woods is a very instinctual safety who has a knack for getting his hands on the ball. Can blitz and run support. If he was bigger or played for an Alabama he'd be a solid second day pick.

RD6- Ejuan Price Edge Pitt
Price might only be a pass rush specialist at this point but Watt has the ability to kick inside if need be. Price has the best first step out of any pass rusher this year and his non stop motor reminds me a little of Debo.

RD7- Jerod Evans QB VT
Evans to me has more upside than Dobbs. He might not be an aerospace engineer or be as fast but he's bigger with more football skills.

UDFA
Ishmael Zamora
KD Cannon

And Saints 2018 Second Round Pick

nooneuno

Forefather
Reaction score
How the hell can you mock the mock and put in your own random trade? lol

FordFairLane

Reaction score

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is a great 5 star thread......great concept........but dude.....you can't have trades because it didn't happen.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
This is a great 5 star thread......great concept........but dude.....you can't have trades because it didn't happen.

I used to not do trades (as you can see by my earlier drafts.) but with the advent of social media and instant information I have changed my prospective. We COULD have not matched the offer sheet for E. Sanders for the pats 3rd round pick. We COULD have traded with the Broncos for their 1st and 3rd but we didn't. And this year we COULD have traded back for the Saints 3rd and 2018 2nd but didn't. These are trades our front office did not make but I would have. Doesn't change my draft one bit just gives me more options as last year I would have taken Myles Jack over Artie Burns and this year I would have taken Foreman over JuJu. I just get another pick later because of it.