• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Lose Sunday and the season is a failure. True or False

Lose Sunday and the season is a failure

• true

Votes: 35 62.5%
  • false

Votes: 21 37.5%

• Total voters

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it is true every year you have a franchise qb. our goal every year is to be sb champs. anything less is failure

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
True. At the start of the season even though we lost Bryant, we still had aspirations of a super bowl champion ship. Add in the Golson injury and Wheaton one may have been disparaged to a degree, but still had hopes. Our start of season at 4-1 even encased that SB thought even more. Then the "trend" or slide........... Many here were writing them off. Can we beat a run oriented Bills team, the questions were ther. We surmounted obstacles, health got better, we slide in the right arrow pointing up direction. AGAIN, we have / reinforce our super bowl aspirations. EVERY year I expect us to go 19-0 and win a super bowl. I've never been right on the win / loss record but have been rite on the super bowl part more than any other team has been. 6 out of 48 may not sound great, but that's my life time prediction status.
AGAIN to answer the QUESTION, falling short is a failure but I still take this season as an accomplishment to this point.

Salute the nation

Lloyds legend

Contributor
Reaction score
Tough question. False.

Although I wouldn't be very happy, I don't think I could say this season was a failure. Our young defensive draft picks seem like they are going to be good ones. It appears that we are finally done with the Jarvis Jones experiment. Our young wide receivers are solid. As a team we faced and fought through many forms of adversity when many teams would have folded. Obviously the Steeler way is to end holding a Lombardi but we are also pretty lucky in that respect. I'm all in on keeping our eye on the prize but in no way could I say this team failed us.

nitsuj1225

Reaction score
I think a tougher poll would be the same question if we end up playing the Pats next week.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I voted False. I don't believe in calling something a failure just because you fell short of your ultimate goal. Call something a failure if it's truly a dumpster fire.

If we lose on Sunday, we still will have won the North and a playoff game. And the outlook for 2017 would still be extremely bright: we aren't going to lose any impact players in the offseason and we will add Cam Heyward, possibly Martavis plus a draft class and our strong rookie class from this year will only get better.

So I'd call it disappointing and acknowledge we had the potential for greater things but by no means a failure.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

miiike

Contributor
Reaction score
To me, we have already had a good season – 11&5 plus a dominating playoff win. Do I want more? Yes. Do I think the Steelers can achieve more? Yes. Will I be disappointed if we lose? Yes. However, only one team wins every year and, once in the playoffs many factors can result in a loss – even for the better team (though, I view KC as an equal). Failure is too strong a word for the situation we are in. While I understand the mentality that if you do not win the Super Bowl you are a failure, I think that viewpoint takes away from the enjoyment of the season and the playoffs and is an unrealistic level of expectation – even when you root for a team with so much success.

If we lose in KC playing like we did the first Dolphin’s game or the Philly game, my view of the season will be somewhat more negative. If we lose a well-played hard fought game, it will be more positive. Though, let’s just win so that we can have this poll next week too.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
True or False

and then why you chose what you did

It's true.
But it's true every year.
We're six time champs.
We're not the Clowns where we are afforded moral victories.
There's a culture, if not an expectancy, of winning around here.
Yeah we're spoiled, but I'd have it no other way.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Ever since Dan Rooney took over handling the franchise and hiring Chuck the plan was "our goal every year is to win a championship". No excuses. Every coaching staff since has followed and voiced the same precedent. That answers the question placed in general. Now if the discussion is in reference to tendencies, injuries and what other teams do, that's a different conversation altogether.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I think after starting the season 4-5 and losing Heyward for the season, every win is a bonus.

I am surprised with how the defense is coming together. As Steeler fans, we enjoy rooting for the defense, and it's been a few years since we've been able to root with any form of swagger for our D!

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Success is measured in Lombardis. And this poll is a failure...

Every season without a Super Bowl victory is a failure.
The Steelers begin every season with the goal of winning the Super Bowl. The Rats and Bungles begin every season with the goal of simply beating the Steelers.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
True or False

and then why you chose what you did

I think a season is a good one with ONE playoff win. So I would say no.

But the thing is we are on such a roll ( what is it now 8 games in a row ) than losing to a team we crushed in the regular season would suck.

As long as we aren't out coached, I would vote false.

obxsteeler

Reaction score
I've been a Steeler fan since I was 11 in 1947- and will be till the end. According to some of you I've only enjoyed 6 successful seasons. It really doesn't feel that way but I do hope you have even close to the same success in the important things in life. If we do lose hope this is a point like the 1972 game with Miami.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I've been a Steeler fan since I was 11 in 1947- and will be till the end. According to some of you I've only enjoyed 6 successful seasons. It really doesn't feel that way but I do hope you have even close to the same success in the important things in life. If we do lose hope this is a point like the 1972 game with Miami.

1968 for me and thank you for your long loyal support !!!!!!! Our beloved STEELERS mean a lot of different things to a lot of different people, I'll take that and contribute some as well.

Salute the nation

Troglodyte

Reaction score
True.

Last year's season ended in an away divisional playoff game. If this season ends the same way, the Steelers will have spun their wheels. I don't know how anyone can consider that a success.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Absolutely true. This team overcame a lot this year to get where they are right now, but they are still one of the top two teams in the AFC and even though they are on the road this week, should come out with a win. A deep playoff run is what this team was set for at the start of the year and that is still my expectation. A loss to Alex Smith on Sunday would be extremely disappointing.

That largely reflects my view on it.

The Steelers have a top 3 QB, RB, WR and OL, with a rapidly improving defense, amid the likes of Dupree, Burns and Davis establishing themselves.

They're simply better than the Chiefs.

SteveA

Reaction score

I agree with you, but I believe the OP raises this because of the expectation level of the team....As for the '72 reference we have gone well past that....We have arrived for the last decade & stayed competitive while Big Ben is signal calling.....The expectations are high, though according to the stats we have a 36% chance of winning....

Metrics are odd someties

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I don't think it's a failure, but it would be disappointing as hell. Next year is going to be our year regardless, with Bryant back, and the emergence of all the other wr's, we add a stud OLB, and this team is poised for greatness for possibly 2 more years. That being said, a ring this year would be a great way to start a nice run.

Joe

I agree.

Dupree could turn out to be that player at OLB, as he has shown flashes of it.

With the young talent on defense, the Steelers have a two or three year window to do some great things.

The time is now.

Cras108er

Reaction score
Been a fan since 1973, I have had way more than just 6 successful seasons as a Steeler fan. I think this season has been a success no matter how the game ends on Sunday.

I agree. I have been a fan as long as you have. I've seen good years, and lean years. Just because you have a good year does not mean you are guaranteed (or even entitled) to a SB.

There are at least half a dozen good team every year who do not mKe it to (or win) the SB. In fact, we have done it more than any other team (even in the Tomlin era).

I would be disappointed if we didn't go to the SB, but it wouldn't be a failure. A failure would have been not making the playoff with this team, or being ousted by a team like Houston. Not reaching our goal is not necessarily synonymous with failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Last edited:

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The goal for this franchise, every season, is to win the last game of the year. That's the goal.

Not make the playoffs, or win the division, or win a single playoff game. Anything short of winning the last game of the season is below the line, a.k.a. a failure.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with you, but I believe the OP raises this because of the expectation level of the team....As for the '72 reference we have gone well past that....We have arrived for the last decade & stayed competitive while Big Ben is signal calling.....The expectations are high, though according to the stats we have a 36% chance of winning....

Metrics are odd someties

Which "stats" are those?

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
The season can only be a failure if we do not come close to expectations. My expectations this year were not that great to begin with so I think that my person expectations have already been surpassed. If they lose now and do not do better next year...different story............GO STILLERS

I vote False