• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Laundry Jones

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I have been a little hard on Laundry Jones in the past. He had a decent game but I still feel we need a better back up if there is one available. If he comes back next year so be it. We need to get Ben's replacement here in a year or two but Laundry Jones could be here until that time comes.

Salute the nation

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I thought most of the play calling was the ***** for the first third of the game. This has been the norm for the last three or four weeks.

pittbull

Contributor
Reaction score
I thought the play calling early in the game was terrible. of Jones's first 8 passes, I think 4 were attempts of about 40 yards. Who the hell thought that was a good idea? Let the kid get in a rhythm. Those deep throws work less and less for Ben and the starters, but you're gong to have your backup do the same ****?

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
I like Landry as a PERSON. He seems like a good, sweet kid who really appreciates being on the Steelers. That being said....he's not that good. I didn't get to watch the game (except for the last few minutes of the 4th and OT), but in those minutes, he was good. I don't know who or what he channeled at the end, but that was awesome. If he played like that over the past 4 years, then I don't think we would be having this discussion. But his decisions over the past 4 years have been poor. HOWEVER....he may have played himself into an extension with our guys.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
Your expectations aren't very realistic.

Hmmm ok. I would hope that any of our backups would be able to step in and perform competently. Jones has not been able to demonstrate he can do that on a recurring basis. Granted he was without Pouncey, Bell and Brown but I have not seen him play decent when he had a full compliment of players plus we were playing the most inept team in the league. I wouldn't have been that frustrated if we were playing a .500 or better team. Think we can just do better at that position and hope Ben stays healthy through the post season.

SanDiegoSteeler

Reaction score
Anyone else have trouble watching Landry hock into his glove every frickin play?
Those gloves must have been dripping after OT. :)

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
You guys do know that coverage dictates where the ball is thrown right..at least the majority of the time. So if Landry or Ben throws deep it's not necessarily the play call. Coverage dictates that the ball be thrown there sometimes and sometimes it's the QB being greedy

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
Well he did win the game, so kudos for that.
My concern is that he doesn't seem to read the defense all that well. In the first half, the Brownies were loading the box and everyone was coming.
Getting sacked one time OK, but what was it 3 or 4 more?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Well he did win the game, so kudos for that.
My concern is that he doesn't seem to read the defense all that well. In the first half, the Brownies were loading the box and everyone was coming.
Getting sacked one time OK, but what was it 3 or 4 more?

Or maybe he was expecting it to get picked up. I saw him barking to a back or Lineman about picking it up

BRABLB

Reaction score
I think no matter who the backup is, it's unrealistic to expect a player to come in one or two times a season (if that) and perform like the guys who are out there week after week. Landry is not my favorite either, but after he shook the rust off and settled down, he led us to our seventh straight win. Gotta give credit, where credit is due.

Have to say also...I was at that game, and I was disappointed to hear fans booing Landry Jones at one point. In my humble opinion, no one deserves to be booed...how does that help a player build confidence? Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think no matter who the backup is, it's unrealistic to expect a player to come in one or two times a season (if that) and perform like the guys who are out there week after week. Landry is not my favorite either, but after he shook the rust off and settled down, he led us to our seventh straight win. Gotta give credit, where credit is due.

Have to say also...I was at that game, and I was disappointed to hear fans booing Landry Jones at one point. In my humble opinion, no one deserves to be booed...how does that help a player build confidence? Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

on a Steelers team that lives by the next man up approach?

One or two times a season?

yeah I expect that... Spot duty is why he is a backup QB. If he can't give winning performances you replace him with someone who can.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
the guy came back from a ****** start, we praise Ben for doing that, we should do the same to Landry Jones. That performance might even bring us a compensatory pick (5th rounder?) in a couple of years, but if he stays I think he's as capable as any backup in the league to hold on until Ben's replacement is found

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I will go on record and say Landry Jones should be resigned. Unless a vet we don't know of yet becomes available I think Landry should be bought back

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I will go on record and say Landry Jones should be resigned. Unless a vet we don't know of yet becomes available I think Landry should be bought back

I am ok with it as long as there isn't a better option.........

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English
He did execute much better after that first half and he impressed me on a few of those passes. I think he throws better when he has less time to think so maybe with some additional real game time work he'll improve. Still would like to see them sign a trusted commodity but it will probably be awhile before another Charlie Batch to falls into our hands.

Its got to be tough to be a backup to one of the top passers in the league.. Things were much simpler at that position when we had Maddox, Tomczak, Stewart and Graham were at the helm. If you could hand off the ball without falling over that was a plus.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I am ok with it as long as there isn't a better option.........

I do not want a rookie backing up Ben. I haven't mentioned Mettenberger because I'm waiting til next pre season to see his play.

Djfan

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking that if he got consistent play time (which I hope he doesn't) that he might be a good to pretty good QB.

that OT td pass was a thing of beauty.

bring him back and let him play in more garbage time situations from now on.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score