• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

LaDarius Green status per PFT

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

deljzc

Reaction score
I tried to tell you guys Ladarius Green was getting way too much props here.

And I'm not even saying Hunter Henry is going to do much this year. Rookie TE's have a tough time in the NFL in general to produce. But I am looking 2-3 years down the line and all I see is a 5th round Jesse James (who I really like but is still working towards - and might never be - a good every down TE).

We'll see how it impacts us. Again, I think it's the blocking and little things our TE's do that will impact us most. Not the superfluous catches/TD's that everyone was so excited about Green. We don't have a good blocking TE on the roster. We will struggle with blitzes. The run game will likely be worse.

We'll all want to blame the offensive line and running backs but I'm telling you now it's the decline in TE work that is the problem.

deljzc

Reaction score
the same Maxx Williams who is 4th on the Rats depth chart behind 35 year-old Ben Watson, oft-injured 31 year-old Dennis Pitta, and all of Crockett Gillmore? that Maxx Williams?
http://www.nfl.com/teams/teams/depthchart?team=BAL

If they don't keep four TE's, I'm putting in a waiver claim on the odd man out (Watson, Pitta, Williams or Gilmore).

All four of them are better than our #2 TE right now.

Edit: Dennis Pitta's career might be over due to a lingering hip injury. He hasn't played since Sept. 2014. He's not making that roster. Ravens will go into the season with Watson, Williams and Gilmore (and Juszczyk at H-back). When Boyle returns after his 10-week suspension for PED's it will be interesting to see who the odd-man out is (worth thinking about).

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I tried to tell you guys Ladarius Green was getting way too much props here.

And I'm not even saying Hunter Henry is going to do much this year. Rookie TE's have a tough time in the NFL in general to produce. But I am looking 2-3 years down the line and all I see is a 5th round Jesse James (who I really like but is still working towards - and might never be - a good every down TE).

We'll see how it impacts us. Again, I think it's the blocking and little things our TE's do that will impact us most. Not the superfluous catches/TD's that everyone was so excited about Green. We don't have a good blocking TE on the roster. We will struggle with blitzes. The run game will likely be worse.

We'll all want to blame the offensive line and running backs but I'm telling you now it's the decline in TE work that is the problem.

I wasn't keen on the Green signing. He's a weak blocker, and we already have lots of weapons. James is okay as a receiver and weak as a blocker.

Has a call been made to Heath Miller? I know he's retired, but he's such as good guy he might come back for 1 more year in a role that features less snap counts.

Slash#10

Reaction score
I think we are overvaluing the need for blocking tight end vs. the value we'd have with a pass catching TE. Can Jessie James be reliable catching the ball in between the 20's, in the red zone, or even on 3rd downs. Green has that pedigree and in this Todd Haley offense its an add dimension welcomed. We can't act like the signing when it originally happened wasn't the right move.

Given the current circumstances there are going to be some releases/cuts that I trust the FA has their eyes peeled. We have a very attractive offense and I think we'll get the best option available if necessary.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I wasn't keen on the Green signing. He's a weak blocker, and we already have lots of weapons. James is okay as a receiver and weak as a blocker.

Has a call been made to Heath Miller? I know he's retired, but he's such as good guy he might come back for 1 more year in a role that features less snap counts.
Heath Miller doesn't seem to me like someone who would look back with regret. I think he was pretty clearly done in his own mind and wouldn't want to do anything that would tarnish his career.

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hey remember that day in 2013 when the Steelers drafted Jarvis Jones at #17 and the Bengals selected Tyler Eifert at #21....good times. How about that time in 2015 when the Ravens jumped one position ahead of the Steelers in the second round and drafted Maxx Williams and the Steelers picked Golson with the next selection.

Dude...Max Williams? lolz

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
oh, and Dennis Pitta has a fractured finger as a result from getting into a fight with a teammate earlier this month.

probably a scratch/slap fest and his stick-on nail bent backwards.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
This is becoming a trend with Tomlin, I think I still hear laughter from a running back in New England right now. That was an odd deal and this is the trump card.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Instead of making the TE an extra lineman, how bout we get OL that can do the job without help an use the TE as an extra receiver?

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Our Oline is pretty damn good especially considering how much they have invested at tackle. Every team dedicates TES and Running Backs to help block. Some of these pass rushers are so good no when can consistently single block them.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is becoming a trend with Tomlin, I think I still hear laughter from a running back in New England right now. That was an odd deal and this is the trump card.

The RB in New England may be laughing but what has that got to do with Tomlin? He waived that **** head and kept the best of the two. Was Tomlin responsible for Bell's idiocricy? I hear wehat you are saying, but believe me that BLUNDT didn't know the future as neither did Tomlin .

Salute the nation

scraps

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

ark steel

Reaction score
Ben Watson has Achilles tear. Out for the Season.

ark steel

Reaction score
That puts the Ravens with Crockett and Tubbs, errr, Williams.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
For what it's worth, Ladarius Green is making strides with his ankle rehab. He just added squatting to further strengthen it.

http://www.pennlive.com/steelers/in...ladarius_add_rehab.html#incart_river_home_pop

As for the headache rumors, he says they're not true and doesn't know how it got started.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/08/20/ladarius-green-says-headache-rumors-not-true/

So, he's just now starting to truly strengthen the ankle. That is good but means he probably goes on the IR with designation to return. He still has to start running full speed, cutting, etc. He has a long way to go. If they don't designate him, I hope he is back in game 2 or 3 otherwise, they may have just waited until game 6 and let James get more reps.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
According to twitter Green placed on PUP...

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I called that one. He is on IR (PUP) designated to return. He can't return until after game 6. Here we go Jesse James!

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I called that one. He is on IR (PUP) designated to return. He can't return until after game 6. Here we go Jesse James!

Here comes the outlaw people. Lets ride!

skline00

Reaction score
St. James Infirmary has already started!

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Kind of sucks he isn't ready to go. But it is what it is.