• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Keys to a Kansas City win (feel free to add your own)

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
1 Win the turnover battle. KC has what the best turnover ratio in the NFL ? Ben we need you to be the first half Miami game, not the second half.

2 Attack their weaknesses. Which tilts more towards their run D than their pass D.

3 Limit the run, which as was mentioned in another thread will make it hard on 3rd and long. For a QB that isn't thought of as his strong suit.

4 Score more points than they do. (I am saving a poster the trouble from saying it lulz)

5 You know Hill and TK will be their money players, they will need to be limited.

6 In some ways KC is Patriots light. Similar styles. If you want to play the better version, you have better be able to beat the weaker version............

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
Le'Veon Bell. Another big game from him and a strong defensive showing like they did against MIA. The Steelers will punch their ticket to the afccg

mdk2

Reaction score
Don't let their run game get going. Ware is capable of going off and Alex Smith plays well off of play action.

Our offense needs to get off to a good start like last week and don't let up.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
I think from here on out teams will focus on stopping Bell and Brown, so a key for the Steelers will be making
defenses worry about other players early. That can throw them off their game plans the quickest. Doesn't
matter who it is: Green, Rogers, Ayers, Heyward Bey, etc...

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
Gotta contain Alex Smith so he doesn't break out long running plays. He's still got very good wheels.

Biggest thing you missed is special teams. We need to neutralize long returns and win the field position battle. Tyreek is not someone we want to see taking it to the house against our ****** special teams squad.

Defensively if we take away Kelce we have to make sure they don't get any homeruns to Maclin.

We should be stout against the run with Debo and Dupree on the edges.

Offensively, establish the run early and make them pay over the middle of the field with crossing routes, James (Green if he plays) and of course the dump offs to Bell.

Reaction score
1) Contain #10

2) Contain #10

3) See points 1 and 2.

4) Keep Ben on short drops like Sunday. Don't let Houston become a factor.

5) Play with the lead. They are not built for comebacks.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
This is the game where our first 2 draft picks make a big difference. Davis and Burns will have a big impact on the
effectiveness of Hill, Maclin, Kelce.

bigtwnvin

Reaction score
Gotta contain Alex Smith so he doesn't break out long running plays. He's still got very good wheels.

Biggest thing you missed is special teams. We need to neutralize long returns and win the field position battle. Tyreek is not someone we want to see taking it to the house against our ****** special teams squad.

Defensively if we take away Kelce we have to make sure they don't get any homeruns to Maclin.

We should be stout against the run with Debo and Dupree on the edges.

Offensively, establish the run early and make them pay over the middle of the field with crossing routes, James (Green if he plays) and of course the dump offs to Bell.
If Dupree gets an opportunity to catch Smith on the edge running like he did with Matt Moore, Smith isn't going out for just one play. All it takes is Smith looking up field for Dupree and that split second hesitation could be a game changer. Make no mistake this Steeler Defense has to be on their game and then some.

mdk2

Reaction score
Just hold onto the ball. Rookie in his fourth game being a playoff game, just hold onto the ball.

No question...that's priority one after catching it, of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Defense:
1) Spy on Alex Smith
2) Have someone all up in Kelce's grill wherever he goes. None of this letting the TE get open on every play crap like we seem to enjoy doing. If that means Shazier needs to follow him around, I'm okay with that.
3) No opportunities for Tyreek Hill - overcommit if you have to

Offense:
1) Jump on them early - try for explosive plays in the first quarter by attacking their corners. They think their secondary is a strength with Peters but Brown will destroy him. And they're not built to come from behind.
2) Punish them with Le'Veon - but with a mix of air and ground. We can't let Ben fall out of rhythm by handing the ball off too much so I'd like to see Le'Veon with at least 5 or 6 receptions in this game.
3) Take care of the ******* football

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Defense:
1) Spy on Alex Smith
2) Have someone all up in Kelce's grill wherever he goes. None of this letting the TE get open on every play crap like we seem to enjoy doing. If that means Shazier needs to follow him around, I'm okay with that.
3) No opportunities for Tyreek Hill - overcommit if you have to

Offense:
1) Jump on them early - try for explosive plays in the first quarter by attacking their corners. They think their secondary is a strength with Peters but Brown will destroy him. And they're not built to come from behind.
2) Punish them with Le'Veon - but with a mix of air and ground. We can't let Ben fall out of rhythm by handing the ball off too much so I'd like to see Le'Veon with at least 5 or 6 receptions in this game.
3) Take care of the ******* football

I don't think you want to over commit to Hill Just study hard this week and read and react aggressively once he has it cause Andy Reid will kill us with misdirection on screen plays fat ****

Last edited:

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I think from here on out teams will focus on stopping Bell and Brown, so a key for the Steelers will be making
defenses worry about other players early. That can throw them off their game plans the quickest. Doesn't
matter who it is: Green, Rogers, Ayers, Heyward Bey, etc...

Bell and Brown are the best at their respective positions.

I would venture to say that every defensive coordinator that we have faced has *planned on* stopping them. But apparently this is much easier said than done lol.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
Score more points than they do by the time the clock hits 0:00 in the 4th qtr..;)

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Play physical!

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
My dream would be to eliminate KC's passing attack - FIRST. Second, keep Smith in the pocket ALL DAY. And then minimize the running game.

IMO, we achieve these goals - the results will be like they were earlier this season...

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
My dream would be to eliminate KC's passing attack - FIRST.
Yep. If Kelce doesn't get going, they will not beat us. I know we can be vulnerable to good TEs, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that he does get going. This has to be a point of contention this week. We can't just play the way we always do and expect different results because he's the best in the biz outside of New England

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Pretty much copy the first game.

Kelso was a non factor until the very end of the game.

Hill had 1 big return but it was called back on a block in the back, otherwise he was bottled up nicely.

Smith was contained throughout the game.

Ware only got 1 big run all day and it was in garbage time.

Meanwhile the offense managed to get a big lead which pretty much forced KC's hand and made them one-dimensional on offense and gave the Steelers all the choices in the world both defensively and offensively. Bell very quietly had a big game (kinda like he usually does. You never actually SEE where he gets all those yards, he just sort of eats them up.)

I expect this could be a HUGE game for the role players. Coates was enormous in the first game, I suspect he won't be this time around. That means Rogers and Ayers will have to make some plays. I don't even know if Green will be in the game.

GILBERT

Reaction score
play our game and should be fine.

Andy Reid will try some trickery. Be prepared.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Bouchette said he guesses you may see Ayers back to return the kick...

I saw his chat recap saying that....couple other articles quote him saying his is ready and able to do it but wants whoever the coaches feel is best to be back there. What better test for a rookie than returning kicks for the first time in a playoff game in potentially cold and wet conditions.....

SteelerAl

Reaction score
Past 3 seasons KC's turnover ratio is something like +52. We win if we take care of the football and play good redzone defense.