• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jason Worilds

Vader

Reaction score
Good luck with that. In Colbert's mind he has to restructure Ben and cut Troy and Ike so they have the cap money to sign Worilds for whatever it takes. I guarantee. Tombert has learned nothing from the Woodley and Allen signings.

Woodley, Allen, Gilbert signings. Then you add the piss poor FA signing last year with Mitchell, Moore, DHB, and Thomas.

I can't believe they'd tag this over paid under preforming *** again. Also Kruger is making $8 million a year for 4 years. Worilds, if tagged again, will make over $20 million for two years. What a joke.

steelbush

Reaction score
I will lose alot of faith in this FO if they tag Worilds. What in gods green earth has he done to even warrant anything over 5-6 million per. Sign Harrison and spend the money on Moats and another decent FA. Like others have stated....3 players for 1.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
I think Revis would just laugh at that offer.

at his age he is not worth 16 mill a year the pats have till march 10 or they have to pay him a 9 mill roster bonus, he signed a 2 yr 32 mill deal 12 mill bonus unless they restructure by march he counts 25 mill vs the cap, ok we anti up our offer to 2 years 26 million with a 11 million bonus and with a 325,000 k per game option bonus that would = 5.2 mill*2 10.4 call that a hometown discount, he gets a chance to come home play on a team that has as good offense or better offense as the pats, and his leadership and presence instantly puts the secondary up 15 spots.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I will lose alot of faith in this FO if they tag Worilds. What in gods green earth has he done to even warrant anything over 5-6 million per. Sign Harrison and spend the money on Moats and another decent FA. Like others have stated....3 players for 1.

Does this help the team at all besides having a bunch of depth players in the starting lineup? If you are going to open up the check book, why not go out and get a linebacker who can get to the quarterback?

freak

Reaction score
listening to colbert seems they will let him taste is value on the market then they will see if they want to match the offers

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
listening to colbert seems they will let him taste is value on the market then they will see if they want to match the offers

If he gets offers on the market then he is as good as gone IMO.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

yeap, and that's ok. It isn't the end of the world and doesn't require extreme measures, like tagging him

freak

Reaction score

not sure , depends on the offers .. i would let him go if the offers are more than 5/6 milion a year but maybe colbert will go higher if is 7 milion they would think about it . if is more is gone . i'm curious to see what he find around ..

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
not sure , depends on the offers .. i would let him go if the offers are more than 5/6 milion a year but maybe colbert will go higher if is 7 milion they would think about it . if is more is gone . i'm curious to see what he find around ..

There is talk that the Eagles and Titans are interested or will be interested. Apparently, Philly was ready to make a push to sign him last year until the Steelers tagged him and with LeBeau in Tennessee, you know how teams like to get players they are familiar with. Dejan is also saying that the Steelers and Worilds will work out a deal, so we will see.

FordFairLane

Reaction score

steelbush

Reaction score
Does this help the team at all besides having a bunch of depth players in the starting lineup? If you are going to open up the check book, why not go out and get a linebacker who can get to the quarterback?

I think his 7.5 sacks are easily replaced. There isnt one team in this league that would pay him 11+ million to play one season. Besides one huge hit sack on Matt Ryan (which was a penalty...bad call), I dont remember Worilds making any splash plays at all. I never watched one game and said, wow, Worilds was unstoppable or was all over the field. Not one.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think his 7.5 sacks are easily replaced. There isnt one team in this league that would pay him 11+ million to play one season. Besides one huge hit sack on Matt Ryan (which was a penalty...bad call), I dont remember Worilds making any splash plays at all. I never watched one game and said, wow, Worilds was unstoppable or was all over the field. Not one.

Right, so why not spend that money on Graham if you think he can get to the quarterback or McPhee, who can rush the passer from all over the field?

keslerclan

Reaction score
For the record, I agree with the hope that Worilds is snatched up in FA (thus eliminating the potential for the FO to tag him)

IMO, several factors apply to Worilds case. Both for and against rating him as a "top" OLB.

The argument(s) against:

Most often, a prospect has shown immediate ability to be a productive OLB. Historically speaking, most prospects show promise within the first year or two of starting or having significant playing time.

Rarely does a prospect take 3-4 years before having his breakout season. Usually, they either have it...or they don't.

While Worilds was blocked by some talent early on, he did see significant playing time prior to starting over the last 2 years. While he has been consistent, he has been only slightly above average in reaching the QB for sacks or pressures.

While Worilds IS likely to get better with another year of starting on the left, he isn't likely to jump too high or change dramatically. His ceiling is near his floor. He will be consistent and above average IMO for the rest of his career.

If ^^^this is the case, why pay more than 6 million/yr on a contract for someone who has only above average talent? Why not pay LESS for slightly less talent or slightly more for a talent who has a higher ceiling?

The argument(s) for: (a long term, 6mil+/yr contract)

He started all season for the first time in his tenure at the LOLB spot. While unremarkable, he was consistent against the run. His sacks increased in games 9-16 with 5.5 of his 7.5 sacks occurring during his second half season. The arrow appears to be pointing up ^^

It has been 3 years since he has taken to a different approach to his readiness and work-out habits. It appears to be helping him get on the field and stay healthy.

To me, Worilds is just like 'another Jason', Gildon...Gildon started in '96 after Greene left and had a 7 sack year followed by a 5 sack year. Then, Cowher/Haslett stopped dropping him into coverage as often and he put up 11 sacks, 8.5 sacks and 13.5 sacks and 12 sacks under Cowher/Tim Lewis.

Worilds could be just as good (or just as bad depending on how you saw Gildon) IMO, not worth top 10 contract dollars but worth something.

In the end, I would like to see us go after Graham or McPhee (whoever is lowest). Both can play LDE or LOLB and can stay on the field in all situations. If the market prices us out for these 3 (Worilds, Graham, McPhee) then we pick up a thickly built DL tweener like Odighizuwa, Dupree or Barnes as well as signing Moats and Harrison. If Harrison or Moats cannot be resigned, I go after Dezman Moses from KC.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Justin Houston.................................

Salute the nation

Vader

Reaction score
3 points:

1. Worilds was terrible against the run. Go watch both clown games and you'll see Worilds consistently blocked and manhandled at the POA. Hell just watch the Jets game.

2. Worilds started working out differently 3 years ago right? He was hurt half of 2013. He missed one game and played with a wrist injury and a leg injury.

3. How do you know that Cowher/ Haslett stopped dropping Gildon into coverage as often?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
In the end, I would like to see us go after Graham or McPhee (whoever is lowest). Both can play LDE or LOLB and can stay on the field in all situations. If the market prices us out for these 3 (Worilds, Graham, McPhee) then we pick up a thickly built DL tweener like Odighizuwa, Dupree or Barnes as well as signing Moats and Harrison. If Harrison or Moats cannot be resigned, I go after Dezman Moses from KC.

Good post and it is a fair assessment of Worilds and he can put up better numbers with more chances, but he rarely beats a tackle for his sacks and how often do you see him just pressuring the quarterback or getting tackles for a loss? He is a good player, but not a top player and not worth top dollars. If they had a dominant presence at ROLB, he wouldn't have a value so high for the Steelers and they probably could have got a deal done last season considering Worilds would have known he didn't have the team handcuffed.

However, Worilds can play defensive end as well. Graham is probably a better player from that spot, but does that outweigh Worilds' advantage at OLB? McPhee is the interesting name here because he is primarily a backup, but put up very good numbers and can play OLB, DE or even shift inside and lineup over a center or guard and beat them with his strength and quickness. I think McPhee can be the best pass rusher of the bunch and would take a run at him.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
3 points:

1. Worilds was terrible against the run. Go watch both clown games and you'll see Worilds consistently blocked and manhandled at the POA. Hell just watch the Jets game.

See this is what I mean when I say I'm not sure if fans even understand what an OLB in the 3-4 is supposed to do when they ***** about them being bad against the run. What modern era Steeler OLB would you say has been "good against the run?" Harrison is the only one that really stands out in my mind, but he was an absolute beast everywhere. Joey Porter seemed fairly decent at it I guess. Other than that I don't know. Don't even tell me Woodley with his 45 tackles a season. He was invisible in the run game, a complete non factor. OLB's in the 3-4 are supposed to be light, quicker LB"s who almost always rush or drop into coverage. They are NOT run stuffers, that's what the D LIne and ILB's are for. Stopping the run is last in their line of job responsibilities. They aren't even put into position to stop the run very much because they are either rushing from the outside or running downfield. I never understood this complaint.

Last edited:

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
See this is what I mean when I say I'm not sure if fans even understand what an OLB in the 3-4 is supposed to do when they ***** about them being bad against the run. What modern era Steeler OLB would you say has been "good against the run?" Harrison is the only one that really stands out in my mind, but he was an absolute beast everywhere. Joey Porter seemed fairly decent at it I guess. Other than that I don't know. Don't even tell me Woodley with his 45 tackles a season. He was invisible in the run game, a complete non factor. OLB's in the 3-4 are supposed to be light, quicker LB"s who almost always rush or drop into coverage. They are NOT run stuffers, that's what the D LIne and ILB's are for. Stopping the run is last in their line of job responsibilities. They aren't even put into position to stop the run very much because they are either rushing from the outside or running downfield. I never understood this complaint.

So who's responsible for setting the edge and preventing the rb from getting outside? There were way too many open cutback lanes and big outside runs this past year.

Last edited:

Supersteeler

Reaction score
So who's responsible for setting the edge and preventing the rb from getting outside?

The D End and OLB together wouldn't it be? I understand that there are outside runs that the OLB is responsible keeping the edge but 90% of runs are between the tackles. It's a pretty small percentage. That's why there are hardly any OLB's in the 3-4 in the league who are renowned run stoppers,

Last edited:

Punxsutawney

Reaction score

They have responsibilities against the run just like everyone else in the defense.

Harrison and Woodley, in their primes, were great at anchoring the edges.

Using statisitcal tackles as valid gauge of a player's performance against the run, you must think most of Ray Lewis' gazillion tackle seasons were legit.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
They have responsibilities against the run just like everyone else in the defense.

Harrison and Woodley, in their primes, were great at anchoring the edges.

Using statisitcal tackles as valid gauge of a player's performance against the run, you must think most of Ray Lewis' gazillion tackle seasons were legit.

agree, Woodley kept his side contained, wasn't thrown away like a rag doll giving a lane to the RB.
Harrison was a monster against the run, he is a rare species who thrived in almost all aspects of the position. Woodley was pretty good, combine that with the ability he had to rush the passer and that's what we would expect of a player who deserves a Tag

GMC

Contributor
Reaction score
The D End and OLB together wouldn't it be? I understand that there are outside runs that the OLB is responsible keeping the edge but 90% of runs are between the tackles. It's a pretty small percentage. That's why there are hardly any OLB's in the 3-4 in the league who are renowned run stoppers,

Agreed, but the last couple of seasons this team has been gashed on the ground and a lot of those yards have come on the outiside. I'm not expecting the OLBs to be run stuffers, but they have been horrible at contain.

keslerclan

Reaction score
3 points:

2. Worilds started working out differently 3 years ago right? He was hurt half of 2013. He missed one game and played with a wrist injury and a leg injury.

3. How do you know that Cowher/ Haslett stopped dropping Gildon into coverage as often?

1a. If worilds WAS terrible against the run, he was still performing at or near the highest output (production) for ANY LOLB in the league. 59 tackles is only 9 short of Justin Houston's. Woodley only broke the 60 tackle mark 1 time in his career.

2a. Don't know which season you meant to say but 2013 was Worilds' best season statistically AND he played in every game except 1.

3a. Because I watched the games and paid attention back then AND Gildon had 11 passes defensed in '97. When is the last time a Steeler LB had more than 5 in a season?

Listen, I get NOT wanting to overpay Worilds...again BUT he was consistently 'above avg' which is what I think he's worth. (=>6mil/yr)

Graham was PFF's TOP rated edge rusher last year and their 2nd rated run defender (after Deebo). Worilds was rated at #11 in pass rush for OLBs. Graham's issue is he is weak against the pass.

Last edited:

ark steel

Reaction score
Good post and it is a fair assessment of Worilds and he can put up better numbers with more chances, but he rarely beats a tackle for his sacks and how often do you see him just pressuring the quarterback or getting tackles for a loss?

4 other OLB had more QH and 6 other OLB had more TFL.