• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Jason Worilds

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Winner winner winner, if we waste that money to tag JW for a second year that is plain and simple......STUPID! Correct me if I am wrong but the tag as I understand it is set up for the player and team to work out a long term contract right? I mean how many times has a team tagged a player 2 years in a row or how many times has the team and player worked out a longer contract? I do not know the answer to these questions but the way I understand things when a player gets tagged the two usually try to work on a longer contract. If I remember right we all thought that was gonna happen with JW last year and it didn't.
So like you point out take that money now a year later and spend on two positions of need and fill two holes for the next 2-4 years. Please don't make that same mistake front office on a player who when it is all said and done had what, have a nice run of about 6-8 games two years ago but in 5 seasons hasn't shown much? Come on Colbert time to move on don't waste that money again......JMO!
Again, I don't think Worilds is awful but his body of work is what it is, he is a JAG and deserves JAG money. Most of us are afraid that the FO will overvalue and overpay him when they could use another $4 million or so to upgrade other positions that are in desperate need of upgrading. If they can sign him for $5 or $6 million a year then fine (be hilarious if no one else offers him more), but if Tombert thinks they HAVE to have him back and pay $10 million or more then we're grabbing the torches and pitchforks.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
That wasn't your argument at all. You said because the Steelers were "paper thin" at that position. Now you've moved to age and this theoretical "upside".

I answered the question that was asked DIRECTLY to me about SPECIFICALLY why I would pay Worilds before Ike. Speaking of looking for things that you want to see. Pot meet kettle.

Vader

Reaction score
I answered the question that was asked DIRECTLY to me about SPECIFICALLY why I would pay Worilds before Ike. Speaking of looking for things that you want to see. Pot meet kettle.

LOL.. typical response from you. You originally said that Worilds should be resigned because they are "paper thin" at that position. When I pointed out that the Steelers are "paper thin" at CB you then change your argument to "But Ike is old". So "paper thin" only works when you want it to.. pot meet kettle indeed... The fact is that the Steelers are paper thin at a lot of spots. That doesn't mean they should over pay at any of them. Especially since Worilds will be 27 in March and I don't remember to many high draft picks that play OLB that blew up after 27... do you? He is what he is and that isn't very good.

Supersteeler

Reaction score
LOL.. typical response from you. You originally said that Worilds should be resigned because they are "paper thin" at that position. When I pointed out that the Steelers are "paper thin" at CB you then change your argument to "But Ike is old". So "paper thin" only works when you want it to.. pot meet kettle indeed... The fact is that the Steelers are paper thin at a lot of spots. That doesn't mean they should over pay at any of them. Especially since Worilds will be 27 in March and I don't remember to many high draft picks that play OLB that blew up after 27... do you? He is what he is and that isn't very good.

You are being a tool of Idiotique proportions right now. I always thought you were a step or two above him in terms of rationality but I was wrong. I'm not about to get into this bullshit circular arguing that you and he absolutely love to do for the next 10 pages. It is pointless. You are right, you got me! You win the argument because I was caught being illogical. I get no argument points in this situation because I did a poor job. I hope it feels AWESOME. Enjoy your victory.

STEELERS R GR8

Reaction score
Again, I don't think Worilds is awful but his body of work is what it is, he is a JAG and deserves JAG money. Most of us are afraid that the FO will overvalue and overpay him when they could use another $4 million or so to upgrade other positions that are in desperate need of upgrading. If they can sign him for $5 or $6 million a year then fine (be hilarious if no one else offers him more), but if Tombert thinks they HAVE to have him back and pay $10 million or more then we're grabbing the torches and pitchforks.

I have a pitchfork and would be one in line to use it if he is tagged AGAIN!!!!!!!! LOL

Xc944

Reaction score
Hopefully the jets will over pay him and do us a huge favor

steelhurt

In Andy I trust....
Reaction score
Look we're talking about a guy who has produced 15 sacks in two seasons given 2013 was a late start for Worrilds but come on man, really? You offer him a contract based on his performance the last couple seasons, a fair contract that should set him up for life but of course we all know how that generally works out. If he balks at pull it off the table and move the **** on but do not transition this guy again. Get active and aggressive in F/A and snag a better option at OLB. I'll tell you this, I'm still of the conviction that Colbert was made to look a lot better than he is when he worked with Cowher Seems very suspicious that when Bill left our drafts and F/A acquisitions seemed to diminish under Colbert and Tomlin. .

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Worilds is standing in a great spot. He has a FO, that has shown in the past, willing to tag him. It's been compared to Max Starks as it is a very similar situation, only defensively. Worilds doesn't really have anyone backing him up. FO not wanting to take the risk of new guy and "complicated" defense. A perfect storm, so to speak. Well, here is where the new DC needs to step up and SPEAK. Does he want him, maybe so, BUT, lets hound the FA list, lets DRAFT replacement. Confidence in new coach, as well as new players. Offer a favorable incentive laden, two year deal. If he walks, then chase his *** with a red hot pocker, to get him out of here faster. It is a risk, but that 10+ mill will go a long way to fill TWO voids, on this many void "defense".

Salute the nation

freak

Reaction score
i thought the complicated" defense was over with lebeau departure

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
he is a good OLB but great, he knows our system and him returning would not slow the transition to what Butler will do, He was at times used improperly that is part why he had 7.5 sacks when he could of had perhaps 10, he was also late at times because he really bulked up last off season. Now he will not get a Paul Kruger type of contract only the Jets are stupid and desperate of enough to give him a 5 year 41 million with 20 million guaranteed type of deal, the other runners, I see for Worlids are the Titans b/c Lebeau and because their pass rush since they wen't 3-4 has been piss poor, as both Morgan and Wimbley both had bad years and don't look like they extactly comfortable as a OLB's,

We need a elite CB and a S and pass rusher and now a good back up RB is a high priority.
What I would do is this in the next week have hard negotiations with Worlids agent, hopefully Ben's are going faster last offer to Worlids 6 years 38 million 8 mill SB take it or leave it. If he takes it try going after Revis offer 3 years 20 million hometown discount, extend Heyward to spread some cap room to fit that type of deal for at least 2 years.
If Worlids walk's this is what I would do
Go quick and fast signing Sheard a pretty good and almost identical version of Worlids at 4 years 18 million 5 mill SB, then up the Anti for Revis 2 years 20 million, 3 years 7 million Bilal Powell, 1 year harrison 1.2 mill, 2 years 2.2 million Brice Mccain, 2 years 2.8 mill Arthur Moats, 1 year 1.5 Will Allen or 3 years 5.5 for Searcy from Buffalo. 2 years 2 mill DT/DE Dan Williams, 2 years 2.5 De Adrian Clayborn

Cuts DE/DT Cam Thomas Wr Lance Moore, WR DHB, Polamalu

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
he is a good OLB but great, he knows our system and him returning would not slow the transition to what Butler will do, He was at times used improperly that is part why he had 7.5 sacks when he could of had perhaps 10, he was also late at times because he really bulked up last off season. Now he will not get a Paul Kruger type of contract only the Jets are stupid and desperate of enough to give him a 5 year 41 million with 20 million guaranteed type of deal, the other runners, I see for Worlids are the Titans b/c Lebeau and because their pass rush since they wen't 3-4 has been piss poor, as both Morgan and Wimbley both had bad years and don't look like they extactly comfortable as a OLB's,

We need a elite CB and a S and pass rusher and now a good back up RB is a high priority.
What I would do is this in the next week have hard negotiations with Worlids agent, hopefully Ben's are going faster last offer to Worlids 6 years 38 million 8 mill SB take it or leave it. If he takes it try going after Revis offer 3 years 20 million hometown discount, extend Heyward to spread some cap room to fit that type of deal for at least 2 years.
If Worlids walk's this is what I would do
Go quick and fast signing Sheard a pretty good and almost identical version of Worlids at 4 years 18 million 5 mill SB, then up the Anti for Revis 2 years 20 million, 3 years 7 million Bilal Powell, 1 year harrison 1.2 mill, 2 years 2.2 million Brice Mccain, 2 years 2.8 mill Arthur Moats, 1 year 1.5 Will Allen or 3 years 5.5 for Searcy from Buffalo. 2 years 2 mill DT/DE Dan Williams, 2 years 2.5 De Adrian Clayborn

Cuts DE/DT Cam Thomas Wr Lance Moore, WR DHB, Polamalu

I think Revis would just laugh at that offer.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
honestly, the Worilds situation is similar to the Manny Sanders situation.

Manny, as we all know, was JAG here. His production seemed to not match expectations, despite flashing talent here and there. The coach that some people (on this board and in the media, especially) call the best ever came calling for Manny. Our FO matched that offer to keep him. Many here lamented that, saying we should have taken the picks...since Manny was JAG. The FO may have jumped the gun on that, seeing as how we didnt have much depth at WR, or thinking what we did have wasn't suitable, at that time, for the #2 role in OUR offense.

Either way, Manny proved, once again, he was JAG in our offense. Not bad, not stellar, JAG.

Yet he goes to Denver the following season and lights it up. Pass-happy offense, yes. Does interviews/analysis during the Super Bowl week, etc. Media darling.

But, we did draft successfully, to some, at the WR position to replace him this past season (Bryant).

Still, the point remains...

if Worilds is resigned, he'll likely be JAG here.
if Worilds goes elsewhere, he blows it up and becomes a household name, then the FO is unable to spot talent and/or keep their own.

either way, the FO is in a no-win situation.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
honestly, the Worilds situation is similar to the Manny Sanders situation.

Manny, as we all know, was JAG here. His production seemed to not match expectations, despite flashing talent here and there. The coach that some people (on this board and in the media, especially) call the best ever came calling for Manny. Our FO matched that offer to keep him. Many here lamented that, saying we should have taken the picks...since Manny was JAG. The FO may have jumped the gun on that, seeing as how we didnt have much depth at WR, or thinking what we did have wasn't suitable, at that time, for the #2 role in OUR offense.

Either way, Manny proved, once again, he was JAG in our offense. Not bad, not stellar, JAG.

Yet he goes to Denver the following season and lights it up. Pass-happy offense, yes. Does interviews/analysis during the Super Bowl week, etc. Media darling.

But, we did draft successfully, to some, at the WR position to replace him this past season (Bryant).

Still, the point remains...

if Worilds is resigned, he'll likely be JAG here.
if Worilds goes elsewhere, he blows it up and becomes a household name, then the FO is unable to spot talent and/or keep their own.

either way, the FO is in a no-win situation.

The FO should then let him go and hope that a FA LB steps up -- like Farrior.

deljzc

Reaction score
Man, if I could get O'Brien Scholfield and Jabaal Sheard for the same price as Worilds to add some depth and competition in the OLB group, sign me up.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Schofield and Brooks Reed together would cost as much as Worlids. I would do that then draft a guy id rd 2, maybe Mauldin. Along with Lemon we would have 5 OLB's. Two will start, two back up, and one plays special teams.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Another "chat" transcript I read today said the Steelers are looking to probably tag Worilds and the tag would be around $13 million. As I said before, this pisses me off beyond belief. The tag price is even higher than I kept hearing. NO F'ING WAY do you tag this scrub. He's not worth half that. And, as I said before, we could sign a good OLB, Harrison and another free agent for $13 million. I'll take 3 for the price of 1 on this deal any day of the week. If they tag him, I will be beyond pissed. And, I'll still be pissed if they sign him for more than $5 or stretching it to $6 million per. He has not proven himself worth anywhere near top 5 or top 10 money. Ugh!!!!!!!!!!! This just pisses me off. I hope someone signs him and soon (at least, as soon as possible).

ark steel

Reaction score
$6m/year would put him in the top 20, but not by a lot, I don't think, I only looked at one site, though and that was by cap hit rather than avg/year.

15 sacks over 2 years got Kruger an $8m/year contract.

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Please Colbert, learn from your past mistakes and do not overpay this man. Please

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Fluck, Worilds and his agent must be creaming themselves!!!! And Colbert is there to mop up the mess!!!! I hope this isn't happening. We need help, no question. But that help, that way. puts a whole new cap strain on things.

Salute the nationb

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Please Colbert, learn from your past mistakes and do not overpay this man. Please
Good luck with that. In Colbert's mind he has to restructure Ben and cut Troy and Ike so they have the cap money to sign Worilds for whatever it takes. I guarantee. Tombert has learned nothing from the Woodley and Allen signings.