• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If Spillane wins camp battle.......

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Cowher would have cut his butt the next morning after comments like that. After his godawful performance in the run game vs seattle I would dump him down the depth chart alone. Now I would just cut his entitled butt. I want to see some 3-3-5 sets with Edmunds coming down to play in the box and Fitzpatrick and Norwood playing safety. Edmunds was a stud in college playing that hybrid role but we have so far just tried using him as a SS only. Get him back to what he does best. He would immediately be an improvement in the middle over Bush.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I would say Devin Bush is pretty much delusional about his play. I mean he will be in a training camp next year. He was a top ten pick. But if he doesn't fix his game this will be his last season in the NFL. No one wants a ILB who is soft v. The run. No one.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I would say Devin Bush is pretty much delusional about his play. I mean he will be in a training camp next year. He was a top ten pick. But if he doesn't fix his game this will be his last season in the NFL. No one wants a ILB who is soft v. The run. No one.
You would think he would be playing hard this season for a big contract. If not with us with someone else. But if he finds himself as a backup and rarely playing he won't be getting anything but a league minimum deal with little to no guarantees. He's just an entitled POS.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
You would think he would be playing hard this season for a big contract. If not with us with someone else. But if he finds himself as a backup and rarely playing he won't be getting anything but a league minimum deal with little to no guarantees. He's just an entitled POS.
I'm not sure how much is will and how much is he is just too small for the position. If he isn't clean he is literally going to be overwhelmed by any blocker. I bet sone of those big interior dudes could move him getting one good hand. I think he just is not big enough for the position. He has two games to show its better or he should not be in the field. But then the choices become.....

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much is will and how much is he is just too small for the position. If he isn't clean he is literally going to be overwhelmed by any blocker. I bet sone of those big interior dudes could move him getting one good hand. I think he just is not big enough for the position. He has two games to show its better or he should not be in the field. But then the choices become.....
In my mock along I stayed put and took Noah Fant, got Chase Winovich with our second and then got Lloyd Cushenberry with the third we traded to get Bush in 2020. Nothing great but two solid starters and a depth pass rusher. All better than Bush. This is why I don't like trading up unless you are getting a guy that checks all the boxes. Bush did not check many of the physical boxes with his height and weight.

carbonsteel

Reaction score
This one play tells you everything you need to know about Bush.
Watch Bush vs Jack in this play (from 1:25 - 1:30)

Bush doing nothing

Jack avoiding a block and knifing through the LOS to make a play on the ball carrier.
Bush looking for someone to run into and running up to the play after the tackle has been made.

Who exactly does Bush think he is kidding?

If we were the Patriots Bush would be gone by now.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Next year in the draft we need to spend a 1st, 2nd or 3rd on ILB. I prefer an offensive tackle, or even a QB is Pickett doesn't show something in round one. I do not think Pickett is a long term answer. A Franchise QB, and it seems like you need one of the top 15 QB's in the game to make the playoffs. It's a loaded QB class in 2023, I'm telling ya! We should know about the current QB's as the season closes.
Everyone keeps saying next year's QB class is loaded. I've yet to hear a single person break down all these great QBs. Can you be the first?

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Cowher would have cut his butt the next morning after comments like that. After his godawful performance in the run game vs seattle I would dump him down the depth chart alone. Now I would just cut his entitled butt. I want to see some 3-3-5 sets with Edmunds coming down to play in the box and Fitzpatrick and Norwood playing safety. Edmunds was a stud in college playing that hybrid role but we have so far just tried using him as a SS only. Get him back to what he does best. He would immediately be an improvement in the middle over Bush.
I'm pretty close to that point as well. His play on the field is substandard and just completely a nonchalant attitude. Maybe he's different in the locker room, but I want guys with winning attitudes on my team and if that answer describes what Bush is all about right now, it's time to move on.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
In my mock along I stayed put and took Noah Fant, got Chase Winovich with our second and then got Lloyd Cushenberry with the third we traded to get Bush in 2020. Nothing great but two solid starters and a depth pass rusher. All better than Bush. This is why I don't like trading up unless you are getting a guy that checks all the boxes. Bush did not check many of the physical boxes with his height and weight.
They took two linebackers for college production. Jarvis and Bush. It appears both will bust. Though there was little doubt when he was drafted. Should have been.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
They took two linebackers for college production. Jarvis and Bush. It appears both will bust. Though there was little doubt when he was drafted. Should have been.
Top 10 guys should really have no noticeable holes in their game. His size and there were mentions of his softness in the run game in college. I think the need and his above average (for college) pass defense pushed him up boards. I think in most years he's a day two draft pick. He hit when the iron was hot and cashed in. I honestly feel we have not traded back enough. When the team has multiple needs and not a lot of cap room in my opinion you should be looking to trade down to get guys into camp that fit your system. Like this year. I like Pickett but I would have jumped on the Chiefs trade and gave up #20. We could have received #29, #94, and #121 and likely still got Pickett.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Everyone keeps saying next year's QB class is loaded. I've yet to hear a single person break down all these great QBs. Can you be the first?
Let me explain better… the top two prospects are from Ohio State and Alabama, which means people will overrate them and ignore that those two schools basically are a historical desert for successful nfl qbs… mike Tomczak is probably the best OSU qb in the nfl’s modern age… and while Jones in New England may be ok… he and Tua are the best Alabama options since the mid seventies… and honestly both might amount to nothing in the long run..

Beyond that its more of a traditional tools, big qbs coming out next year…. This crop was Pickett, who wasn’t a sexy pick because had he come out the year before, he would have been something like a sixth rounder … and besides him was a whole bunch of short, flawed baker maysfieldesque guys… well and Ridder, who was Raw AF …

So basically its like the draftnik that salivates over the great physical tools… next year is a buffet of 6’4 and 6’6 guys… most will bust most likely..

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
nethier ILB had a shot after Tyson went down they waited to long to add a NG in Adams Wormley is a decent De /under DT that can pass rush he stinks vs the run and should only be there when tyson is next to him and cam is at 5t and tj is 3 pt rushing. Plsy after play the Dl was washed away no push esp vs Chargers Minney and sadly vs Detriot

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Channel 11 news just had a snippet on Bush and it sounds like he’s taking his career for granted. Something about him saying “I’ll be in the NFL next year whether it’s with the Steelers or not”.
If that dumbass was actually dumb enough to say that they should’ve just cut him the same damn day

He’s already proven to be a waste of space on the field, he’s also proving to be a waste of a roster spot. That type of dipshit think is bad for the entire team.

He’s not wrong, someone will take a chance on his pedigree/potential…but if he keeps that attitude/level of stupidity his next stop may very well be his last.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
If Allen isn’t going to be ready soon, id explore bringing in Hightower or AJ Johnson… neither will be great in coverage, but they will be better than Spillane and Bush… plus Bush being replaced by Johnson instantly creates a myriad of jokes that could entertain the lowbrows here for eons…

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
If I am a QB going against the Steelers I would just pass to the middle of the field all day everyday. We haven't been able to stop this since Shazier was healthy.
Spillane/bush. I t doesn't matter

Reactions: xjx

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This one play tells you everything you need to know about Bush.
Watch Bush vs Jack in this play (from 1:25 - 1:30)

Bush doing nothing

Jack avoiding a block and knifing through the LOS to make a play on the ball carrier.
Bush looking for someone to run into and running up to the play after the tackle has been made.

Who exactly does Bush think he is kidding?

If we were the Patriots Bush would be gone by now.

G-L-A-D

We are not the cheatriots, not in Bush's case but football in general !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Salute the nation

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score

Delusional, yep. Presumptuous, for sure. He sure has a high opinion of himself, apparently. But even Stevie Wonder could see this dude is playing without heart, without hunger. I'd rather have a hungry, ball-seeking young player with mistakes to make (& learn from) than this "high-pedigreed" underperformer. Austin/Brian Flores et. al. can fix mistakes if the player is willing to learn from them; ain't much fixin' can be done to someone like Bush at this point.

Black & Gold Bleeder

Forefather
Reaction score
crazy thing is. We ALLL see it. We SHOULDNT see it as easily. QB screws up, you see it easy. We have to be watching the LB to see what he does. Determine if his heart is there etc.. Suncity i agree. What i DONT understand is if john q. public can see it and call it out on a message board. How do the coaches not make changes. Someone else said this about him earlier if Cowher was coach he would be gone and cut. I agree. I guess the assistant coaches cant come out on the media and say "yeah, Bush sucks". So we have to assume its all about contract money, or all about pride and drafting a bust.

xjx

Reaction score
Tomlin, Austin, Flores all see him avoiding contact and he is still a starter? These guys don't have the football smarts you think they have.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
crazy thing is. We ALLL see it. We SHOULDNT see it as easily. QB screws up, you see it easy. We have to be watching the LB to see what he does. Determine if his heart is there etc.. Suncity i agree. What i DONT understand is if john q. public can see it and call it out on a message board. How do the coaches not make changes. Someone else said this about him earlier if Cowher was coach he would be gone and cut. I agree. I guess the assistant coaches cant come out on the media and say "yeah, Bush sucks". So we have to assume its all about contract money, or all about pride and drafting a bust.
Austin doesn't flat out say Bush sucks, but this comment wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement either:

“Sometimes as coaches, we like guys that know their assignments and do their assignments, but they never make a play. The whole deal is being able to do your assignments and make a play. That’s really what we’re looking for in Devin.”

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Sure. The Miami kid OMG he he a good deep passer and has and arm! Fairly mobile too. Ohio State QB is a stud. Big and strong and fast, with passing skills. Alabama QB is a runt with an average arm and a great team around him. Kentucky's QB is a good dual threat QB with a plus arm. Needs to cut down on mistakes. These four QB should go in round one. If Pickett doesn't prove physical capable as a top 15 QB, the almost all of which makes the playoffs we should consider picking another QB in round one. Don't wait on a bust and don't wait on mediocrity at QB.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Sure. The Miami kid OMG he he a good deep passer and has and arm! Fairly mobile too. Ohio State QB is a stud. Big and strong and fast, with passing skills. Alabama QB is a runt with an average arm and a great team around him. Kentucky's QB is a good dual threat QB with a plus arm. Needs to cut down on mistakes. These four QB should go in round one. If Pickett doesn't prove physical capable as a top 15 QB, the almost all of which makes the playoffs we should consider picking another QB in round one. Don't wait on a bust and don't wait on mediocrity at QB.
You thought Matt coral was a better prospect than Pickett too, and he may get cut and put on the practice squad…