• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

If Spillane wins camp battle.......

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
A report I read yesterday said Spillane has been able to cover TE's downfield. If he can do that, Bush might be closer to the No. 3 ILB than we thought.

Stewey

Reaction score
Not sure if I buy into the "Bush needs to be motivated" thing. I think he is what he is, just average.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I would imagine Spillane would have to increase his coverage ability substantially to be some version of a three down player but you really couldn't be worse than Bush against the run last year. That was literally as bad as I've seen. And in a pic I saw of him tackling in camp his legs are huge but he has the arms of a HS player.

Not everyone was a fan of trading up to get Bush, and according to reports Spillane is standing out, and Bush isn't making any plays. If Spillane beats Bush out, it's time to certify he's a bust. Young rookie Robinson is also making his share of plays according to the practice reports.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything out of Bush at camp? What Bush does Saturday will be a tale tall sign for sure. Is he ready to play or will it be the same as last year.

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Bush can't cover Troy Gentry or Bobbie Gentry

I think Bush could cover Kuntz easily enough/.........................................

Salute the nation

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Historically 53% of first rounders bust… it’s just a shame we gave up so much to get this meh player…
It was and I'm not sure what direction the Steelers go if they keep the picks.

The Broncos took:
1.20 Noah Fant
2.42 Drew Lock

Maybe they go Darnell Savage. Byron Murphy was a guy I liked but they never seem interested in Washington DBs. AJ Brown was probably may favorite receiver available at this point. Greedy Williams was maybe another possibility.

Williams and Brown were both there in the second and given how many 2nd-round receivers the Steelers take, he would've been a home run right there. Miles Sanders and DK Metcalf were also available. Given Johnson was their third-round pick, WR may have been a good bet in the second.

3.83 Lloyd Cushenberry

No real standouts in this particular draft at areas of need. Probably could've found some valuable depth at a position. Cushenberry may have been the best pick for the team to add depth to IOL.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Define 53 percent bust. Like if this is Bush's last year I'd call that a bust. But that is a spectrum and drafting from the bottom third perennially there is no way the Steelers have a 53 percent bust rate.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
In fact from Heyward to Bush. It's Likely Bush. Definitely Jarvis Jones and probably Burns. Which he might be the best of the three. We will see this year. That is 30 percent from the bottom third.

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Historically 53% of first rounders bust… it’s just a shame we gave up so much to get this meh player…
Historically, how many players drafted in the top ten are busts? Significantly less than 53%, I'd imagine.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Historically, how many players drafted in the top ten are busts? Significantly less than 53%, I'd imagine.
Thats a great question, but tgere are plenty of top ten busts too, just perusing… now how many of those top ten busts cost a first, second, and third are probably few and far between lol

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
Obviously there are busts. But if you cannot pick at least pick a serviceable player like say Edmunds better than 47% in the top 32 players of college football you seriously should not be employed by a team. Now to me a bust is didn't play well enough to start and after release couldn't reestablish career. Artie Burns may start for Seattle. He may not be a bust. Just because you could not use him with your coaching staff that doesn't necessarily mean he is a bust. Jarvis Jones is a bust.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Watching both play today, They may BOTH need to go. MJ looked good during his limited time.

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
Would’ve been nice if UG could’ve stayed healthy…would be great if Johnson could step up. It’s hard to watch what is perceived as a total lack of effort, because he has the athletic traits.

xjx

Reaction score
Bush looks just like last year. Teams will run at him...like they did last year.

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I think when the monster are in up front it will be less important to cover the run. They have two weeks to show. Spillane has to be better in coverage or Bush against run. I think you could hide Devin easier. But make no mistake. Someone will have to get hidden. Or possibly an injury to either forces MT's hand and see if Robinson could progress. Buddy Johnson should be cut.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
I think when the monster are in up front it will be less important to cover the run. They have two weeks to show. Spillane has to be better in coverage or Bush against run. I think you could hide Devin easier. But make no mistake. Someone will have to get hidden. Or possibly an injury to either forces MT's hand and see if Robinson could progress. Buddy Johnson should be cut.
We know Spillane is solid against the run. Are we sure Bush is any good in coverage?

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Bush played and no one knew it Saturday, time to move on. Bush should not be needing to be motivated, or if he does maybe talk to Claypoole and his outside help to make him better??????????

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
We know Spillane is solid against the run. Are we sure Bush is any good in coverage?
Pre injury I might have leaned to potential to be solid. Now I am not sure what he is as far as pass defense. I know his run D is atrocious.