• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Harrison Releases Statement via Instagram

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Joey Porter from a 31 October interview in Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

“So obviously he feels like he can go out there and do more. But you just got to understand his situation, like I try to tell him, you’re 39 years old ... You’re in a fortunate spot to where a lot of people don’t get that. Nobody plays linebacker here at 39. When we hit 30 we’re always looking to do something different. So the simple fact that they still have you here, that just shows you how much loyalty they have to you and they still think that you can still play. As long as you know that, you can’t be mad at the situation.

“We want you to be here to win a championship; we want you to be part of it. No matter how we use you. And when we do use you, I know you’re going to go out there and make a play. As long as we have the same understanding and we don’t hide anything, he knows exactly what it is, there’s really nothing you can be mad about.”

Porter makes it pretty clear; I don't think that is lying.

If James was legitimately told that he would be on the field for 25% of the snaps, was strung along in camp without getting reps, was never told he would be deactivated for a game and found out via an empty locker...etc then there is blame to go around by both sides. Harrison did nopt handle this properly but at the same time the Steelers did not handle this properly. If one again reeks of poor communication. Porter can say whatever he wants, if he wasn't there for the negotiation of the contract or know what was said, he can't speak for any of that. The fact is that this coaching staff and front office has done a piss poor job of communicating with it's players and coaches. Why is it that Polamalu wants nothing to do with the team and feels he was lied to. Look at how the Bruce Arians era came to an end, it was a royal cluster ****. Tomlin and Co. need to take as much responsibility for how we handle our veteran players, especially those that are HOF players, so that we maintain the legacy of players that support this team long after their playing days are over.

SteelBuckeye

Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody is going to forget Deebo.
Not the MVP. Not the moments he tormented the Rats. Not the greatest defensive play in SB history.
We'll forget none of that.
Not the guy who was dumb enough to think that a coach telling him they anticipated using him for 25% of the snaps was a "guarantee". In pro football, there are no guarantees except Al Riveron calling reviews in favor of the Cheats.
We won't forget the selfishness during his last months in Pittsburgh. The skipped meetings/practices. The snoring through meetings. None of that will be forgotten.
For better or worse, nobody will forget Deebo.

Now, let's forget Deebo and cheer OUR TEAM on during this playoff run. A team that Deebo is no longer a part of.

Cras108er

Reaction score
Joey Porter from a 31 October interview in Pittsburgh Post Gazette:

“So obviously he feels like he can go out there and do more. But you just got to understand his situation, like I try to tell him, you’re 39 years old ... You’re in a fortunate spot to where a lot of people don’t get that. Nobody plays linebacker here at 39. When we hit 30 we’re always looking to do something different. So the simple fact that they still have you here, that just shows you how much loyalty they have to you and they still think that you can still play. As long as you know that, you can’t be mad at the situation.

“We want you to be here to win a championship; we want you to be part of it. No matter how we use you. And when we do use you, I know you’re going to go out there and make a play. As long as we have the same understanding and we don’t hide anything, he knows exactly what it is, there’s really nothing you can be mad about.”

Porter makes it pretty clear; I don't think that is lying.

Seems pretty clear to me... and in the record months ago. I’m not sure how you can read that he was “promised 25% of snaps into this statement.

He boasts about helping T.J. (not Bud), but one has to wonder how much helping/mentoring he was doing when what he really wanted was TJ’s snaps. And he obviously wasn’t helping T.J. understand how to be a professional.

He also boasted about being a “team guy,” but his actions speak much louder than his words.

Just not buying it James. At least own up to your actions and say what we all now know. It was always about you. I’d have more respect for you then, than if you sit here and play the victim card.

I get it. You weren’t happy with the situation, but handle your business like a man.

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You know what. This is not complicated. This is actually really really simple.

At the end of the day, there are essentially 2 ways to coach a team.

You can be a distant, authoritarian figure who demands respect professionalism and consistent performance from your players. Noll and Tuna would be good examples of these kinds of coaches.

You can be a passionate, humane, player-centric coach who pushes your players to work harder through personal loyalty and relationship. Cowher and Tomlin were / are these kinds of guys.

Here's the problem. When you're somebody's "buddy" and you have to make a ****** tough decision that doesn't go their way... they don't take it to well from their pal, the coach. It gets personal and ugly. Now a guy like Tuna or Noll - They'd tell you, "You're going to play as much as I want you to play and that's it. Otherwise pack your **** up and get out."

The player-centric coaches say "Jeez man. Your time will come. Hang on. I feel you dog." But that's not really true. That's just your buddy trying to break it to you easy even though he's really lying to you. And that can cause some pain. I'm not blaming Tomlin per se. I'm just saying the coaching style is going to lead to these kind of breakups in the end.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
Who the **** is darren woodson????????

DEBO is what it is,. when he is done with football he will be a STEELERS player with a lot of good he performed as a STEELERS player. **** woodson to judge

Salute the nation

Careful with your blood pressure there DIC....he's still gonna retire as a Steeler, you just watch and see.

This too shall pass !

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Well. I see it this way. It’s over. Time to move on. I’m not ready to burn my #92 jersey yet. But, that is a very loose “yet”.

I'm wondering if I'll get a callback to dig up the two people I buried last year wearing #92 jerseys and take them off.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
You know what. This is not complicated. This is actually really really simple.

At the end of the day, there are essentially 2 ways to coach a team.

You can be a distant, authoritarian figure who demands respect professionalism and consistent performance from your players. Noll and Tuna would be good examples of these kinds of coaches.

You can be a passionate, humane, player-centric coach who pushes your players to work harder through personal loyalty and relationship. Cowher and Tomlin were / are these kinds of guys.

Here's the problem. When you're somebody's "buddy" and you have to make a ****** tough decision that doesn't go their way... they don't take it to well from their pal, the coach. It gets personal and ugly. Now a guy like Tuna or Noll - They'd tell you, "You're going to play as much as I want you to play and that's it. Otherwise pack your **** up and get out."

The player-centric coaches say "Jeez man. Your time will come. Hang on. I feel you dog." But that's not really true. That's just your buddy trying to break it to you easy even though he's really lying to you. And that can cause some pain. I'm not blaming Tomlin per se. I'm just saying the coaching style is going to lead to these kind of breakups in the end.

And Bradshaw was butthurt at the opposite approach.

Either way they need to STFU and earn their reps, and in the process be team players .

VaSteelerFan

Reaction score
He's complaining about participation trophies but that's basically what he wanted. Hey Harrison, you have to beat out the guy in front of you if you want more playing time.

Omar10213245

👀👂🎃🏈🍇🥑🍆🍋🪂🌞🌛🌜☂☔❄🌊🥴🤬🥺
Contributor
Reaction score
giphy.gif

For better or worse, nobody will forget Deebo.
tenor.gif

Now, let's forget Deebo
SophisticatedImaginaryGoldfinch-max-1mb.gif

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Just to be clear, the Steelers mean very little to Harrison. Potentially winning another championship with the team he spent the vast majority of his career with meant less to him than getting more playing time in a maximum of FOUR games.

Don’t kid yourself into thinking anything else.

papillon

Reaction score
One thing for sure about Silverback and whichever side of this argument you are on, James Harrison epitomized what Steeler defense is all about, he brought a nastiness and 100% effort on every play and the Steelers don't have that guy any longer. He was intimidating, mean, and respected by opponents, and, in some cases hated. The Steeler defense has been lacking that for a quite a while now, Jack Lambert, Gregg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, and James Harrison defined Steeler defenses past. I'm going to miss James Harrison, these past few weeks aren't going to change the way I view James Harrison as a Steeler. He'll always be a favorite of mine because of what he brought to the table every time he was on the field.

I wish him well, even in New England.

Papillon

Steelin

Contributor
Reaction score
It's sad that he goes out this way but I too wish him no ill will. Take care James. You were awesome.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
One thing for sure about Silverback and whichever side of this argument you are on, James Harrison epitomized what Steeler defense is all about, he brought a nastiness and 100% effort on every play and the Steelers don't have that guy any longer. He was intimidating, mean, and respected by opponents, and, in some cases hated. The Steeler defense has been lacking that for a quite a while now, Jack Lambert, Gregg Lloyd, Kevin Greene, Joey Porter, and James Harrison defined Steeler defenses past. I'm going to miss James Harrison, these past few weeks aren't going to change the way I view James Harrison as a Steeler. He'll always be a favorite of mine because of what he brought to the table every time he was on the field.

Papillon

It doesn't change the way I viewed him as a player.

Now as a person he can go **** himself sideways, and the cheats can join him in a pow wow of fucktitude.

With DIC's poker, they can all take turns systematically ******* themselves one by one by one.

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score

Papillon

Couldn't have said it better myself. That list while impressive is only a few of the dominating defensive badasses we have had and what we now sorely miss. Let us not forget the father of all our badasses 'Mean Joe' and 'Arrowhead Holmes' and the likes of Glen Edwards, Mel Blount and Levon Kirkland. All had that same "tear your head off" trait that we don't have now. Mitchell has tried, and failed. Maybe that's what William's aim is too but is not quite in the correct 'destruct' mindset..

Jack Splatt will always be my favorite but the team has always had " the attitude " .....'till now.

And with the New NFL in transition, we may have seen the last of the Stiller badasses

Steel G

Reaction score

Papillon

I hate Kevin Greene. He was an ******* to fans when he was on the team and he couldn't get out of town fast enough for more cash. Now that he's old and never had another shot in a SB as a player because he left his best chance, he speaks all nostalgic for the Steelers and wants into the organization and fans' good graces. To hell with him. And James can join him. At least Greene didn't run out during a season and pitch a fit like a ***** by leaving games early and pouting. Yeah, he made a terrific play in the SB. Doesn't mean he's not an ******* and it also doesn't mean that I can't call him out for being a dick.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
My boy Tony wrote a great article on Harrison. and I will add that Harrison wouldn't have a job this season if it wasn't for the Steelers giving him a contract in August. No one else would have. You're welcome...

No doubt about this.

Mr.Rocco

Reaction score
Maybe he and Mitchell will get into a scrap pri
During warm-ups and both get ejected from the game.