• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Game Balls, Game Goats & FU's......vs Bungles

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Burns was too tentative when Bernard ran past him. He should have attacked instead of letting Bernard make his move on him. Wet fields are slippery and it is hard to react quickly without slipping in that situation. I would not say Burns looked lost...just not aggressive enough....for the most part you didn't hear his name...which for a corner is a good thing...

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Burns was too tentative when Bernard ran past him. He should have attacked instead of letting Bernard make his move on him. Wet fields are slippery and it is hard to react quickly without slipping in that situation. I would not say Burns looked lost...just not aggressive enough....for the most part you didn't hear his name...which for a corner is a good thing...

Agreed. He is in his 2nd NFL game, taking on the Bengals #2 WR, and basically shut the guy down. Also, Bernard broke a ****-ton of tackles that game.

Wingman

Reaction score
jj is still not doing well for a first round pick. He is playing better than I have seen him for a while. I suspect that jj will be just a guy that gets kept for depth and possibly some sub packages maybe special teams. Shazier plays like a first round pick, Dupree has played like a first round pick and likely will be a big upgrade when he returns. Ben did not have a good game. He needs to look at what Dalton and his guys were doing to handle the ball today, they looked pretty good. The zebras were terrible today. It looked as if they had orders to keep the bungles in the game. Leading with the crown of the helmet on a hit on Ben, face mask on d will, horse collar on d will, phantom pass interference calls on the steelers d, Pass interference not called on several occasions by the bungles. Those **** suckers did everything but change the score board. The steelers should be 3 and o today they beat two teams both were wearing stripes.

I thought the coaches called another great game on both sides of the ball. The defense was in bend but don't break and they kept everything in front of them for the most part. Tomlin was seen with out the deer in the head lights look on some of those stupid bogus calls but reacted with restraint and looked like he was focused on beating the cheating sumbitches. I have not been a fan of Tomlin but these last two games I thought he and the rest of the staff did a good job with what they had and the conditions they had to deal with. Pouncey is having some problems with the tackles he had to block hopefully he will get back up to form.

Overall not a great performance by the Offense but they still put up points. The D did a real good job today forcing several 3 and outs and getting the ball back.

Things to work on bad weather ball control for everyone both D and O. If they were able to do a better job here the game could have been a blow out.

Steeler58

Reaction score
The worst part of the in-home, HD game experience is listening to Dan Fouts. The bias in his game coverage is more than obvious. So for that, my FU goes to the 0 time NFL champ, Dan Fouts!

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Heros:

Williams.
Roethlisberger
The rain. without the rain Dalton passes for 400 plus yards

Goats:

Jarvis Jones. Okay so he can't get sacks but no more dropping easy interceptions
Davis. I saw some missed tackles.
Rogers. He was a non factor.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
I wish people would stop complaining about a lack of pressure on opposing QBs. Apparently we're playing "prevent" defense now and only rushing 3. This is not the "blitzburgh" of the past that we all knew and loved. For me, it takes some getting used to.

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
Heros:

Williams.
Roethlisberger
The rain. without the rain Dalton passes for 400 plus yards

Goats:

Jarvis Jones. Okay so he can't get sacks but no more dropping easy interceptions
Davis. I saw some missed tackles.
Rogers. He was a non factor.

Davis is the least of our worries. he plays well for anyone, let alone a rookie.

Troglodyte

Reaction score
Game Goats:
Jarvis Jones - You had an easy INT go right thru your hands not to mention hit you square in the chest! Can't wait til this bum is no longer a Steeler!

You're just hating here. It wasn't as bad as AB's (and others) drops. A dropped int is still a good play.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis has been up and down but I saw him covering Green on some plays and he was right with him. He and Burns need to learn to tackle and all will be good in the world later this year and in the years to come.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Davis has been up and down but I saw him covering Green on some plays and he was right with him. He and Burns need to learn to tackle and all will be good in the world later this year and in the years to come.

He will have up and downs just as long as he doesn't make the huge mistake I'm fine..burns should of used the sideline as his help on Benards TD. Lesson learned

Last edited:

SCSteeler4life

Contributor
Reaction score
What I like about Burns and Davis the most is they are athletes. They will make mistakes because of there youth but you can see they both have a chance to be great.

Spike

Reaction score
I was very pleased with the defensive front getting pressure all game long, without blitzing. They didn't get the sacks, but they got Andy making some bad throws....good enough

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Another good thing about playing with big leads, you don't HAVE to blitz.

Spike

Reaction score
Another good thing about playing with big leads, you don't HAVE to blitz.

Big leads? holy **** the game was 10-6 at halftime!

and they were only down by 8 going into the 4th qtr!

One play could have turned that win into a loss.

SteelerinMD

Unleashing Mediocrity Since 1/22/07
Forefather
Reaction score
Want a real GOOOOODDDD Laugh?

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/79949-stealers-its-literally-in-the-name/

BlackJesus starts it off......

Another STEALER game, and another game where the Bengals had to not only beat Shittsburgh on the field, but the refs as well.

It’s fairly obvious at this point, that when you play the Stealers, you cannot play them equal, or even beat them by 1-7 points, as that margin isn’t enough to overcome the additional assistance by the referees. When you play the Stealers, in order to get a win by 7 points, you have to actually beat them by the equivalent of 17-21 points.

Which means that to beat Shittsburgh, you have to outplay them to the point where despite the refs ignoring their consistent holding, and costing you several scores or drives / turnovers etc – you still come out on top.

Now obviously this is possible, as Cincy has beaten the Stealers in the past. But on a day like today, where the Bengals basically played them even, or at most outplayed the Stealers slightly for what under normal fair circumstances would have been a 1-7 point Bengals win, it turns into an 8 point sham loss.

Essentially each fan represents one “customer” so to speak, so none of this should come as a surprise, since the NFL is above all a corporation and business, with the explicit mission to maximum their profits for shareholders and owners. Now with that said, if you have one fan base that has 15 million fans, and another with 500,000 fans, of course you are going to systematically favor and give the edge to the larger fan base's team when possible. Now you can’t obviously throw games in their favor, but you can give them a slight edge in lots of different ways. Which in today’s NFL, where the top 10 NFL teams are fairly even, can make a huge difference, and be the deciding factor between going 9-7 and 12-4. It can also mean the difference between winning 27-24, and losing 24-18.

The NFL doesn’t also even have to always tilt things in the Stealers favor, as sometimes they can legitimately beat a team without it. So for instance, when they are playing the 1-10 Browns, the refs are not needed to give them that extra edge. However, when you have an ascendant team like the Cincinnati Bengals from a small market city with a comparatively small fan base, and they all of the sudden are consistently good enough to take the AFC North and cost the NFL tens of millions of dollars by knocking out one of their ‘blue chip’ franchises (i.e. Stealers, Patriots, Cowboys, Packers etc) – then the refs go into the game knowing their services will likely be necessary. Today’s game, just like in January showed that is clearly the case.

As for what to do about it, Bengals fans have 2 options basically … since nothing will change on the NFL’s end. Fans of the Bengals can either just accept this for how the league is and hope the Bengals can be so much better than the Stealers that the refs can’t take it away, or Bengals fans can forgo taking part in the NFL or giving the league their funds. However, even if fans do this, it won’t matter, as the fan base of the Stealers is so much larger than the Bengals that the NFL would never alter the dynamics to please Bengals fans. So that leaves us as Bengals fans stuck, do you give up enjoying a sport that you may have loved your whole life because it isn’t fair, or do you defiantly hope that your club can still overcome those odds and win despite of the unfairness? And if you live in Cincy, you paid for Paul Brown Stadium whether you like it or not.

So here we are … **** the NFL, **** the refs, **** the Stealers, **** their fans, **** their city, and **** their players.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
Want a real GOOOOODDDD Laugh?

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/79949-stealers-its-literally-in-the-name/

BlackJesus starts it off......

Another STEALER game, and another game where the Bengals had to not only beat Shittsburgh on the field, but the refs as well.

It’s fairly obvious at this point, that when you play the Stealers, you cannot play them equal, or even beat them by 1-7 points, as that margin isn’t enough to overcome the additional assistance by the referees. When you play the Stealers, in order to get a win by 7 points, you have to actually beat them by the equivalent of 17-21 points.

Which means that to beat Shittsburgh, you have to outplay them to the point where despite the refs ignoring their consistent holding, and costing you several scores or drives / turnovers etc – you still come out on top.

Now obviously this is possible, as Cincy has beaten the Stealers in the past. But on a day like today, where the Bengals basically played them even, or at most outplayed the Stealers slightly for what under normal fair circumstances would have been a 1-7 point Bengals win, it turns into an 8 point sham loss.

Essentially each fan represents one “customer” so to speak, so none of this should come as a surprise, since the NFL is above all a corporation and business, with the explicit mission to maximum their profits for shareholders and owners. Now with that said, if you have one fan base that has 15 million fans, and another with 500,000 fans, of course you are going to systematically favor and give the edge to the larger fan base's team when possible. Now you can’t obviously throw games in their favor, but you can give them a slight edge in lots of different ways. Which in today’s NFL, where the top 10 NFL teams are fairly even, can make a huge difference, and be the deciding factor between going 9-7 and 12-4. It can also mean the difference between winning 27-24, and losing 24-18.

The NFL doesn’t also even have to always tilt things in the Stealers favor, as sometimes they can legitimately beat a team without it. So for instance, when they are playing the 1-10 Browns, the refs are not needed to give them that extra edge. However, when you have an ascendant team like the Cincinnati Bengals from a small market city with a comparatively small fan base, and they all of the sudden are consistently good enough to take the AFC North and cost the NFL tens of millions of dollars by knocking out one of their ‘blue chip’ franchises (i.e. Stealers, Patriots, Cowboys, Packers etc) – then the refs go into the game knowing their services will likely be necessary. Today’s game, just like in January showed that is clearly the case.

As for what to do about it, Bengals fans have 2 options basically … since nothing will change on the NFL’s end. Fans of the Bengals can either just accept this for how the league is and hope the Bengals can be so much better than the Stealers that the refs can’t take it away, or Bengals fans can forgo taking part in the NFL or giving the league their funds. However, even if fans do this, it won’t matter, as the fan base of the Stealers is so much larger than the Bengals that the NFL would never alter the dynamics to please Bengals fans. So that leaves us as Bengals fans stuck, do you give up enjoying a sport that you may have loved your whole life because it isn’t fair, or do you defiantly hope that your club can still overcome those odds and win despite of the unfairness? And if you live in Cincy, you paid for Paul Brown Stadium whether you like it or not.

So here we are … **** the NFL, **** the refs, **** the Stealers, **** their fans, **** their city, and **** their players.

That made my day. Hilarious

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually, we have covered this before, but Steelers fans have got soft in many ways. I often scalp, and the ticket prices go way down if the weather isn't nice. The Steelers LOVE throwing out the "X # of years of all sell outs" but that is a very misleading assertion. Tons of tickets are bought by scalpers but that doesn't necessarily means fans end up buying them.

Actually, this is just an observation on your part only. Which is fine. This forum is free to allow you to comment on pretty much everything. But your opinion is only worth as much as you provide evidence for it. Classifying a demographic as "soft in many ways" is laughable. You imply misleading assertions of sellouts with tons of tickets bought by scalpers, of whom you say YOU participate in. Who you selling the tickets too? Other steeler fans who can't afford the legally purchased ticket price? I throw in another person's observation. I've been to maybe 3 dozen away games for the Steelers at 4 or 5 different venues in 30 years.I always have seen Steeler fans buying scalpers tickets on game days enmasse. ALL the stadiums I've been to were taken over by Steeler fans. I didn't matter if it was day/night/adverse weather, playoff/non-playoff. Steeler fans are everywhere and travel. Probably because a large portion of the fan base left Pittsburgh when the steel industry dropped and folks moved away to find jobs. But still they remained Steeler fans.

I also realize the product has become so big and expensive because of corporate and television involvement that it becomes difficult for even the middle class family to be a season ticket holder, or buy individual tickets. There are so many outlets to watch games that it allows those who can't see games, but maybe occassionally. You say tons of tickets are bought by scalpers, but that it doesn't mean Steeler fans buys them. It doesn't mean they don't buy them either.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Big leads? holy **** the game was 10-6 at halftime!

and they were only down by 8 going into the 4th qtr!

One play could have turned that win into a loss.

They were up 17-6 and 24-9. Kudos to the cats for making this game seem close...

P

POP

To be fair - when the HDTV experience is as great as it is today, and you can watch all the games and eat reasonably priced food and use your own bathroom at your convenience, it makes sitting out in the rain for 4 hours sound like a miserable experience.

That being said, nothing can replace taking in a huge Steelers W in Heinz

In my case, it's about balance. Since I live so far away, it's not something I have to consider very often. I always go to games if they play down here, even preseason. But even if I lived in PA, I'd maybe go to one game a year, unless they have play off games. Going to live games reminds you of what the true game is like, which makes it even more enjoyable to watch on TV because you have a better sense of what you are seeing.

P

POP