• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Few things are really obvious.

Elfiero

Banned
Reaction score
They ignored pass rush in the FA market ? Ok I'm with you...but its pretty damn obvious why they would ignore that in the FA market ? Isn't it ? Or should i spell it out... Cap Room....If you are going to dive into the FA market for a pass rusher (if you can find one) you are going to be paying alot and we just don't have the cap room for that.

Yes it is obvious, but it wasnt to me since i pay no attention to the financials of the team. It seems to me though that this has been an area ignored since the departure of Woodley. And really Woodley's last productive year was around 2010 with him leaving in 12 or 13???? Seems to me that they had plenty of time to cut dead weight and address this need.

Add to that the fact that the team philosophy under Tomlin has changed to prioritize offense and o personnel, as it should because of the rule changes....and we are what we are.

I still want to believe that there was a window in which to address this need, but i'll take your word as truth since i don't want to do the research....lol

Elfiero

Banned
Reaction score
Again, who should they have signed? They were expecting big things from Dupree then he gets hurt in august

That's why i said they **** the bed...Bud Dupree.....really ? That idea along with bringing back Harrison really should have given us an idea of what was coming.

P

POP

I agree about the pass rush but we sacrificed that for the o personnel we now have.

This is not a true statement. How is this the case? Our key O personnel would be Ben, O line, Brown, Coates, James, D Will, Bell. Tell me how acquiring them costed us getting pass rushers?

If anything, we have put a fortune into potential pass rushers, with FOUR first round picks being used for LBs, a DE and a 2nd rounder being used on the other DE. That's a **** load of high picks being used on potential pass rushers.

No high picks were used on our current WRs. Your statement lacks truth.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
What's obvious to me is that we aren't a good football team. Take what you had last year and subtract Heath, Bryant, Dupree, half of Shazier, and Bell and we're supposed to be better? Last year we were 10-6; this year we'll be lucky to be 8-8. Injuries to Ben or AB and we'll be blessed with a top ten draft pick so we can pick JJ's successor.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
You guys are freaking out.

1) A ton of starters got hurt yesterday, some of them tried to return hurt and were basically marginally effective.

2) Even at a fully effective level, the new defensive philosophy is to play coverage defense and force the opponent to work down the field and hopefully make a mistake along the way. If a team is patient, they can work against this scheme just fine. If a team is even or ahead, this scheme works in their favor.

3) This means the offense is the key-man for the season (never a good sign for a team that wants to be contenders in my opinion, but I digress). With Wiliams struggling in the running game, the Steelers became one-dimensional quickly. Then they fell behind. See points 1 and 2...

4) Ben and the offense STILL could have kept **** together, but they panicked. Rather than work themselves back into the game doing exactly what they ought to have done with short, ball control, chain-moving plays that were designed to keep the Steelers moving downfield and continually getting into scoring position, Ben kept trying to force the big play. Yesterday was a perfect day to take what the defense was giving him, particularly with that aggressive pas rush. James and Grimble should have been heroes along with Williams getting NUMEROUS catches out of the backfield to slow down that rush.

Instead, the Steelers, Ben particularly kept trying to get it all back at once. Ultimately, the Steelers got so far down there was no other choice. Then the Eagles could afford to blitz like mad and that pretty much put the dagger in the heart.

Yep, it was a ****-show, but hardly the end of the world. It was rather a great opportunity to look back at the tape and see, "Well ****, HE was open, and HE was open and we could have picked up 7 yards right there on 2nd down and another 5 there on 3rd down and we'd have had a fresh set. Instead, Darn if I didn't force 2 out of three throws deep to Eli and Sammy. Well **** a duck.

It'll work out.

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Shazier is my new "injury bug" target though.

He's quickly becoming my Pouncey 2.0...

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I always love optimism, but this team seems to have a lot of holes at critical positions.

OLB
FS
CB
WR now that Bryant isn't here to stretch the field.

I think some posters aren't freaking out they are just relaying what they are seeing.

With Ben you always have a chance to win, I just think that window has narrowed and we will see a good team, and not the great one envisioned.

So that in itself isn't a sky is falling, but it is a disappointment to what I feel they were capable of.

I am hoping this was merely just a lowpoint of the season.

But the realistic side of me wonders if this is just a sign of rough roads ahead....

I guess we will wait and see.....

Reactions: MTC

6Lombardis

Reaction score

1) A ton of starters got hurt yesterday, some of them tried to return hurt and were basically marginally effective.

2) Even at a fully effective level, the new defensive philosophy is to play coverage defense and force the opponent to work down the field and hopefully make a mistake along the way. If a team is patient, they can work against this scheme just fine. If a team is even or ahead, this scheme works in their favor.

3) This means the offense is the key-man for the season (never a good sign for a team that wants to be contenders in my opinion, but I digress). With Wiliams struggling in the running game, the Steelers became one-dimensional quickly. Then they fell behind. See points 1 and 2...

4) Ben and the offense STILL could have kept **** together, but they panicked. Rather than work themselves back into the game doing exactly what they ought to have done with short, ball control, chain-moving plays that were designed to keep the Steelers moving downfield and continually getting into scoring position, Ben kept trying to force the big play. Yesterday was a perfect day to take what the defense was giving him, particularly with that aggressive pas rush. James and Grimble should have been heroes along with Williams getting NUMEROUS catches out of the backfield to slow down that rush.

Instead, the Steelers, Ben particularly kept trying to get it all back at once. Ultimately, the Steelers got so far down there was no other choice. Then the Eagles could afford to blitz like mad and that pretty much put the dagger in the heart.

Yep, it was a ****-show, but hardly the end of the world. It was rather a great opportunity to look back at the tape and see, "Well ****, HE was open, and HE was open and we could have picked up 7 yards right there on 2nd down and another 5 there on 3rd down and we'd have had a fresh set. Instead, Darn if I didn't force 2 out of three throws deep to Eli and Sammy. Well **** a duck.

It'll work out.

Very well said. I'd be interested to see how often we blitzed yesterday vs the Eagles. I imagine injuries made it harder to blitz, while the Eagles seemed content to rush their big four and clog the passing lanes with bodies in coverage. The pressure the big four got on us was the most bothersome thing I saw. That had Ben uneasy all day. Not sure how much fosters absence effected our o line too. They just said on NFLN that we blitzed 3 times and Wentz was 3 for 3 on those.

Last edited:

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I always love optimism, but this team seems to have a lot of holes at critical positions.

OLB
FS
CB
WR now that Bryant isn't here to stretch the field.

I think some posters aren't freaking out they are just relaying what they are seeing.

With Ben you always have a chance to win, I just think that window has narrowed and we will see a good team, and not the great one envisioned.

So that in itself isn't a sky is falling, but it is a disappointment to what I feel they were capable of.

I am hoping this was merely just a lowpoint of the season.

But the realistic side of me wonders if this is just a sign of rough roads ahead....

I guess we will wait and see.....

^^^
I get it. And Slash is right in that this Steelers team had a high ceiling. Yesterday showed Ben trying to do too much and offensive weapons failing to take advantage. Factor in an ugly defensive unit, it's just the cards the Steelers were dealt. Hopefully Bell can bring an explosive dynamic in the backfield. The team is not living up to potential

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
We are not as good as we looked against the foreskins, and we aren't as bad as we looked yesterday.

steelhurt

Reaction score

It'll work out.

Wig you are spot on with your comments. I couldn't have said it better. They fell right into the trap and Philly teed off on Ben.

Wingman

Reaction score
The only thing I would add to that wig is poor execution all the way around. To quote MT lots of guys were below the line. They were all playing like they just found martavious's stash. There were a few exceptions but lots of standing and watching by guys on the field.

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
Wheaton did drop a TD, but it was not as easy as it looked. The defender was shielding him from the ball and he probably could not see it. If you stand their and close your eyes and soneone throws a ball at you it is very difficult to catch even if you know its coming.

This team is not as good as the redskins game showed. I said in that thread how we were lucky several times that would have made the score much closer.

In the bengals game we were aided by / blamed the rain for a lot that went down. Dalton being off / Ben being off. However ben was missing high alot in the eagles game as well. Not a good trend. I do not know if ben is not seeing the open guys or just being boneheaded by chucking it deep. Hopefully someone gives him a stern talk.

The oline was pushed around which gave williams no room. He does get stronger as the game goes on and i think they abandon the run a bit early.

Obviously the D was picked apart. Need to take some chances. I think smith can dink and dunk our d to death and they have a top end TE.

We are not as bad as we showed, but there are some disturbing trends

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I am just glad we got the will they go undefeated pressure out of the way now we can focus on some football.