• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dunlap: AB is going to dance, go watch Matlock if you're offended

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
There's an interesting debate, but celebrations actually help football viewership, and promote the league. Here's an example. Remember when TO was in his heyday in SF? He started these grand celebrations. Throwing the popcorn in his helmet, cheering with cheerleader pom poms, pulling a sharpie out, singing the ball and giving it to a fan. That **** was entertaining. It got everyone talking about TO, and looking forward to seeing what he'd do next. I could care less about SF without Montana and Rice, but I'd watch those games to see what TO would do. He continued it quite well when he played for the Eagles. Celebrating on the star in Dallas et all.

Chad Johnson picked up the mantle and was also highly entertaining after TDs. As much of a showboat and a me first attitude that some people are quick to point out and lament; it sure got people talking about NFL football.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
What constitutes a celebration penalty and what does not? That’s what Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin would like to know.

I would, as well.

I watch a lot of NFL games, as many as I can. It’s part of my job.

I’ve seen guys get penalized for some pretty silly things this season, such as Cleveland’s Terrelle Pryor being given a taunting penalty when the ball he was tossing to an official grazed a defensive back as he was getting to his feet.

I’ve now seen Antonio Brown penalized twice for unsportsmanlike conduct for dancing in the end zone. Call it twerking - he doesn’t - or whatever you’d like, but it’s not unsportsmanlike any more than Josh Norman shooting an imaginary bow on the sideline following an interception.

Norman was penalized for that action. He didn’t go to a knee - another no-no. He simply mimicked shooting a bow and arrow.

That’s excessive?

Has society sunk to that level of political correctness?

Football is a game played with plenty of emotion. It would be impossible to take the emotion out of the game. I heard more than one player say following the Steelers’ 43-14 win over Kansas City that they always play the game angry. They don’t know any other way to do it.

With that emotion can come celebration.

I always liked the fact that Barry Sanders simply tossed the ball to the official following a touchdown. He didn’t want to call any more attention to himself.

At the same time, when I participated in sports, I was a constant bundle of emotions. I wore them on my sleeve. When I scored, I pumped my fist, especially if it was a big shot.

I didn’t do it on purpose. It wasn’t anything that was choreographed. It was an organic reaction.

I’ve spoken many times with Brown about his celebrations. They aren’t scripted. He didn’t plan to do a flip into the end zone or jump onto the goal post last season. That was just him living in the moment.

Brown has reportedly been penalized this season because his post-touchdown celebrations were considered “sexually explicit.” So was doing the Charleston in the 1920s, the Twist in 1960 or doing the Hustle in the 1970s.

Heck, the Tango has been around for more than 150 years and, when done properly, might be the most sexually charged dance you’ll see.

The other thing with Brown being penalized for his dance is that other guys have done the same or nearly the same thing during games and not been penalized.

We also have witnessed other celebrations - guys kicking the ball into the stands or players running out of the field of play - that are supposed to be penalized that have gone unpunished.

It’s all too subjective.

We know excessive celebrations when we see them.

William Gay crawling to the sidelines after an interception for a touchdown or celebrating for what seems like 10 minutes? That’s excessive.

Some of these other instances this season? Eh, I’m not buying it.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/20161005/steelers_mid-week_news_and_notes#.V_UZ-8com0w.twitter

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
If it's a 15 yard penalty, then quit doing it. I knew the rule, so does he, and the fact Ben and Cam have told him to quit is WHY he should quit doing that ****. I love the emotion, but don't do **** that causes a penalty

CharlesDavenport

Reaction score
Good point. I'd also add the "feed me" motion like they're spooning something into their mouth. Drives me nuts.
Equally fond of a professional football player acting like he deserves a trophy for getting a first down or making a tackle.