• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Dunlap: AB is going to dance, go watch Matlock if you're offended

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2016...nce-so-quit-complaining/#.V_KW-AU0Md0.twitter

PITTSBURGH (93-7 The Fan) – Some people, I’ll tell ya.

Some people just want to be miserable, I guess.

On Sunday night against the Chiefs — as he does just about every game he plays — dynamic and ostentatious Steelers receiver Antonio Brown found his way into the end zone.

Twice, actually.

The first time, he kept the celebration light.

The second time, to put the Steelers ahead 22-0 late in the first quarter, Brown broke into a quick hip-gyrating dance that forced me to let out a “yeah, AB!” and then a hearty chuckle.

Know why? Because I love that guy, I love how he carries himself and has so much damn fun playing a game. Remember, it’s a game — you got that, right? A game, these guys are playing a game.

Also, I understand he’s not just a world-class athlete, but a remarkable showman; the kind of I-demand-your-eyes-stay-fixed-on-me showman the NFL needs to continue to grow its product.

But some people, I’ll tell ya. They just want to complain.

A quick check of my Twitter timeline and cursory pulse-check of Steelers Nation yields quite a few fans aren’t real happy that Brown has a knack for getting flagged after he crosses the goal line for six.

They think he’s immature.

They don’t think he’s a team player.

They think he’s going to blow a game for the Steelers.

They think coach Mike Tomlin is letting the inmates run the asylum with Brown being the lead inmate.

And maybe the best one yet — they think he’s going to somehow ruin the innocence of their children who watch football because of his hip-thrusting ways!

I mean, I guess those 3,978,362 erectile dysfunction medication commercials during NFL telecasts won’t have kids asking about sex, but AB’s pelvic thrust certainly will, huh?

I can just hear it now, “Hey mom and dad, forget about those two naked people in the bathtub on that luxurious hillside or that voiceover guy saying ‘erections lasting more than six hours … what about Antonio Brown propelling his hips forward? We need to talk, right?’”

I have three words for the complainy complainers who feel the need to complain about Antonio Brown’s (maybe) suggestive dancing and subsequent penalties: Get over yourselves.

This is the new NFL. This showmanship is what helps drive a league so tied to beaming and strong personalities and there might not be a better mixture of a genial personality and epic talent like Brown in all the NFL.

He isn’t going away.

The cameras on him aren’t going away.

And he isn’t going to stop being AB — this is all what helped him drive that big fancy car and get on all those TV shows.

Celebrating in the end zone has been part of a brand-builder for Antonio Brown and he seems totally OK to have to deal with a 15-yard penalty or fine from the league as a tiny bit of collateral damage to making his trademark even bigger. In this case, to make it boom the way it has.

And from a practical standpoint, when has Antonio Brown taken a celebration penalty that has put the Steelers in a bind? One of those go-to arguments from the act-like-you’ve-been-there-before crowd is that Brown is eventually going to cost his team a game with his boogying after a score.

Cool story.

But guess what — that hasn’t happened.

Let’s deal in reality, instead.

The reality is this isn’t going away, no matter how much some protest or are put off by it.

AB is going to dance and I love it; I hope he dances just about every time he sees fit.

Here’s some advice for those of you so turned off by Antonio Brown celebrating after he has a grand accomplishment in a game: Don’t watch. Perhaps the new-fangled NFL isn’t for you.

On Sunday at 1 p.m. — when the Steelers play their next game — maybe you should watch Matlock. I’m sure Matlock is on some channel, because Matlock is always on some channel.

I’ll be watching the Steelers game and hoping like hell Antonio Brown gets into the end zone, because I have fun watching that guy have fun.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
1. The league moved the kickoffs up a couple years ago.
2. Kickers are better than ever.
Therefore a 15 yard penalty assessed on the kickoff is meaningless.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
The dancing/flags dont bother me. The stuff is entertainment. What bothers me is one of these days. AB is going to attract unwanted attention by an opposing defender sans Burfict who will either head hunt in the field of play or cheap shot the snot out of him. Some of these players these days juss dont give a fuq

madinsomniac

Reaction score
I think celebration penalties are overkill these days... Fine you want to flag coordinated team celebrating and props... But when kiesel got one for "going to a knee" i was so over it

oicu8ad

Reaction score
Let's just have everyone draw a flag when they score. If we don't care about the flag / yards, then **** it. Wheaton, Coates, Heyward Bey, Rogers, Bell, D Will, James, Grimble: If you score, dance your *** off and get the penalty. Who cares? Mike Tomlin, don't live in your fears. Get your *** out there, and hump on AB's leg.

In all seriousness though, I laughed my *** off the first time but was not happy with the penalty. The coaches need to stop this. Celebrate within the rules.

Steelerfan

Reaction score
My attitude is that when you're the best WR in the league, you can do whatever you want. Less-talented players do not get the same latitude in my book.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
I think it's funny every time I see the replay.

They flagged someone during the Browns fan for "shooting a bow and arrow"

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Last edited:
P

POP

You don't keep doing things that you know will draw flags and hurt your team. That is stupid and selfish.

Don't tell me potentially giving your opponent a chance to return a kick to the house not hurting your team. It does.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
any kickoff could potentially be returned for a TD....so every score you make hurts the team?

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no issue. I just dont want to see him get cheap shotted over it

P

POP

any kickoff could potentially be returned for a TD....so every score you make hurts the team?

So, are you being purposely obtuse? Kick offs can't be returned if kicked out of the endzone. And they are unlikely to be returned for a TD if kicked very high and angled to one side. Neither can happen if you have to kick 15 yards back further than usual. Thus, the penalty puts your team is a worse position to be successful, and for what? So AB can get his jollies off by making sexual gestures? That is worth putting the team is a worsened condition?

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
why can the kicker not kick it very high or angle just because they are further back? it would seem that would be the perfect time to kick it high and hope your guy could get down to where the ball was landing.....

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I have no issue. I just dont want to see him get cheap shotted over it

Why? Because he might get hurt and that would hurt the team? Seems you do have an issue with it then maybe.

Hines57

F Ogurr
Contributor
Reaction score
If he exceeded 3 pumps he should get flagged. Less than 3 pumps should be allowed, no questions asked. The standard is the standard.

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
Would love it if every Steeler would hand the ball to the ref (ala Barry Sanders) after scoring, but I realize that's not happening. I have no issue with it, even if it's an opponent doing it.

I remember Randy Moss simulating dropping trou and mooning the (Packer?) fans. Joe Buck nearly had a hear attack. I had no issue with it then, either. Wasn't it the Redskins and their fun bunch celebrations that first started the crackdown?

In an era where the Rog is "protecting the shield" at every turn, perhaps end zone celebrations should be wayyy down on the priority list. As for retribution by offended opponents, what's the saying... "then don't get scored on!"

SteelerSask2

Reaction score
I don't believe last nights celebration was a penalty. however, he needs to stop doing this. If they run it back for a TD he will look like an ***. It also sends a terrible message to any other selfish penalty.

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
As long as we are winning or tied I don't mind it. I don't want to see it when we are losing. Get to ******* work if we are losing.

oicu8ad

Reaction score
Next time he scores, forget pumping air. He needs to do the motorboat.

P

POP

why can the kicker not kick it very high or angle just because they are further back? it would seem that would be the perfect time to kick it high and hope your guy could get down to where the ball was landing.....

Because you're 15 yards deeper, and the "high" technique could give your opponent too short of a field. The high strategy could give them the ball at the 35 or 40. But at least AB got his sexual thrusts in, so it is OK.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Ridiculous penalty. He basically got it for who he is and I still can't figure out why Emmanuel Sanders didn't get flagged for his twerking celebration last week.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Ridiculous penalty. He basically got it for who he is and I still can't figure out why Emmanuel Sanders didn't get flagged for his twerking celebration last week.

It is a ridiculous celebration......then to still do it knowing it will draw a penalty. Now that is just plain stupid. Or selfish. Probably both....but if his team mates don't care then really I guess I shouldn't either.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Because you're 15 yards deeper, and the "high" technique could give your opponent too short of a field. The high strategy could give them the ball at the 35 or 40. But at least AB got his sexual thrusts in, so it is OK.

bullshit...the high technique can easily get the ball within the 10 so being further back at worse you are at the 25 and you have a chance to field it yourself...

blah blah blah....people gotta ***** no matter what