• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Do we have a slot corner?

ark steel

Reaction score
I would think it forgivable that we looked at the wrong game considering Coach said it was the one with Manziel threw for 372 yards...which was NOT that game.

It was the game in which A Davis threw for 240. it happened on ST....

ark steel

Reaction score
Looks like all tackles, the FF and FR all came on ST. Zero tackles while in on Defense?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I would think it forgivable that we looked at the wrong game considering Coach said it was the one with Manziel threw for 372 yards...which was NOT that game.

It was the game in which A Davis threw for 240. it happened on ST....

The bad part or sad part however you choose to look at is Coach Knew

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Looks like all tackles, the FF and FR all came on ST. Zero tackles while in on Defense?

Which of course he will now say he didn't get the opportunities.. Which leads me back to why in six pre season games to date he hasn't done anything memorable. But he is Super Duper in training camp.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And like I said I hope one of these ***** step up cause I do not want to spend another premium pick on a OLB

ark steel

Reaction score
Which of course he will now say he didn't get the opportunities.. Which leads me back to why in six pre season games to date he hasn't done anything memorable. But he is Super Duper in training camp.

Well, I thought that first Cleveland game that was recapped was something to look at with both Jones and Chick. Harrison was out, so Chick had more chances than he might normally get. Jones had about 2x the opportunities on D, going against the same LT and posted some stats, which Chick did......not even a tackle from the OLB position.

you can change your mantra to "has done squat anywhere other than ST"?

tdub88

Reaction score
Jones is a dead horse to beat for the fans. My issue is why doesn't the coaching staff give some of Jones pass rushing attempts to other players? That's what I said last year, and still, believe it this season.

But you said you didn't post last year?

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
sooo, back to slot CB. Couldn't watch the game, did Grant get playing time at the slot?

Yeh..who cares about slot corners when we can possibly get another hundred pages of a Jones vs Chickillo tennis match.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Yeh..who cares about slot corners when we can possibly get another hundred pages of a Jones vs Chickillo tennis match.

This is way more important Chip lol

chipped ham

Reaction score
Bermuda,

You haven't been paying attention! We have already been over the fact that Chick forced a fumble and recovered one.

As for interceptions in NFL games, that would be a no, unless you consider that Chick is one of the very few to get one in camp.

In camp Jones has done nada. He's losing battles and has no int's.

As for sacks, that would require some rush attempts in a game. Why don't you come back with that data first, then we can judge how many opportunities he has had? Deal?

Jones is a colossal bust, no question. However, he's made far more impactful plays in legit playing time than that of Anthony Chickilo. Uncle Jarvis came up with a pretty big turnover against Indy last season right after that pos jacoby jones fumbled the kickoff and, as had been previously stated, we probably don't win the bungles game without his forced fumble. Coach, I do see where you're coming from, however this is pretty much like arguing which player is the lesser turd.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
not even sure at this point Jarvis is a bust. He can cover and tackle... just not the pass rusher everyone envisioned...

I would call him a bust ..............as a pass rusher .........

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Two things watching the two preseason games. One we have zero players that can cover or tackle, as the teams we have played OR our receivers can't run routs worth a darn because we make the coverage look might good against us.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
Jones is good at pressuring the QB and has a nose for turnovers. He doesn't get sacks, but he's good enough against the run.

Sure he's underperforming for where he was drafted, and if he was a 3rd rounder, I suppose we'd be less harsh on the guy.

My problem is hitching your wagon to a guy the moment he is drafted and just waiting for the guy to screw up so you can say you were right. That's not fandom, that's self promotion. Hell, I wanted Eiffert, but I'm not going to root for Eiffert in a game now. I support the black and gold, and while Jarvis is wearing it, he's got my support.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Jones is good at pressuring the QB and has a nose for turnovers. He doesn't get sacks, but he's good enough against the run.

Sure he's underperforming for where he was drafted, and if he was a 3rd rounder, I suppose we'd be less harsh on the guy.

My problem is hitching your wagon to a guy the moment he is drafted and just waiting for the guy to screw up so you can say you were right. That's not fandom, that's self promotion. Hell, I wanted Eiffert, but I'm not going to root for Eiffert in a game now. I support the black and gold, and while Jarvis is wearing it, he's got my support.

Exactly my point

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Cope, and other Jarvis Jones posters who think he's good ( Antdrewjosh )

Jones is terrible at pressuring the QB. Here's a stat for you, 136 players in the NFL had more QB pressures in 2015. Jarvis Jones had just 6 QB pressures for the year, good for the 161-186th place. Very poor!

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2015/

How did the Steelers as a team rate on QB Pressures?

33 Cameron Heyward DE 21 QB pressures
51 James Harrison LB 17 QB pressures
59 Stephon Tuitt PIT DE 16 QB pressures
73 Arthur Moats PIT LB 13 QB pressures
129 Bud Dupree PIT LB 8 QB pressures
180 Jarvis Jones PIT LB 6 QB pressures.

Jarvis Jones ability vs the run remains the fools gold currency of this board. He makes very few tackles. He's often he blocked, unable to engage or make a play.

If Jones was a 3rd or 7th round pick, I'd still want him replaced as the starter.

Oh, how I wish we drafted Carl Nassib in round two. That was my mock and pick on draft day. The guys doing well on the Stains.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Jones is a colossal bust, no question. However, he's made far more impactful plays in legit playing time than that of Anthony Chickilo. Uncle Jarvis came up with a pretty big turnover against Indy last season right after that pos jacoby jones fumbled the kickoff and, as had been previously stated, we probably don't win the bungles game without his forced fumble. Coach, I do see where you're coming from, however this is pretty much like arguing which player is the lesser turd.

When Chickillo gets the same amount of snap counts to rush the passer and play, then a comparsion can be made.

ark steel

Reaction score
Cope, and other Jarvis Jones posters who think he's good ( Antdrewjosh )

Jones is terrible at pressuring the QB. Here's a stat for you, 136 players in the NFL had more QB pressures in 2015. Jarvis Jones had just 6 QB pressures for the year, good for the 161-186th place. Very poor!

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/defensive-hurries/2015/

Jarvis Jones ability vs the run remains the fools gold currency of this board. He makes very few tackles. He's often he blocked, unable to engage or make a play.

If Jones was a 3rd or 7th round pick, I'd still want him replaced as the starter.

Oh, how I wish we drafted Carl Nassib in round two. That was my mock and pick on draft day. The guys doing well on the Stains.

So, if you are comparing Jones QB pressures to those of people in the 50th - 70th range would he have as many attempts on rushing the passer or would he be far lower because he rotated with JH or dropped into coverage more? How many of Jarvis's snaps were rushing the passer vs. a run play or dropping into coverage?

I don't know of anyone on this board that is happy with the Jarvis Jones pick and/or production. But you keep harping like Chick has shown ANYTHING better in a real game and he just has not. It isn't there even if you try to make it be there.

When they gave Chick 1/2 as many snaps as Jones, he got ZERO tackles, QB hits, Sacks, whatever it is you want to track.

ark steel

Reaction score
So, if you are comparing Jones QB pressures to those of people in the 50th - 70th range would he have as many attempts on rushing the passer or would he be far lower because he rotated with JH or dropped into coverage more? How many of Jarvis's snaps were rushing the passer vs. a run play or dropping into coverage?

I don't know of anyone on this board that is happy with the Jarvis Jones pick and/or production. But you keep harping like Chick has shown ANYTHING better in a real game and he just has not. It isn't there even if you try to make it be there.

When they gave Chick 1/2 as many snaps as Jones, he got ZERO tackles, QB hits, Sacks, whatever it is you want to track.

before you get your sack all burned, I mean he has done ZERO from the OLB position. We all know he has some tackles a FR and FF on ST.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...-hurries/2015/

Ark,

I'm comparing him to the NFL, which includes many players who do not start and had fewer snap counts. I do not think Jones played that often in coverage, as I have not seen him do it in the nickle or dime, and that's what we play most.

Chick didn't play vs the Eagles. He played just one pre-season game so far this season, but he has made a lot of plays in camp, which is something Jones has not done. So I have hope for him.

I'm not saying Chick is the savior, but I am saying he deserves some of Jones chances to see if he might be a better option. Last year I was a tad upset to see Howard Jones cut. He had 5 sacks as a part-time player, double the amount, Jarvis Jones.

I also want to point out that Arthur Moats, a backup doubled the amount of QB pressures compared to Jarvis Jones.

It's really not that hard to add 2 and 2 here. Jones isn't a rookie anymore. He's a finished product. As a pass rusher, Jarvis Jones is the worst option we have among the OLB's and DE's who played his amount of snaps or more.

Last edited:

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't love JJ. Never had. I just don't hang my hat on people, or root for Steelers to fail. It's not in my DNA. I'm also not blinded on players to the point that I can't see when they make impact plays.

We all know you love Nassib, but I don't root for Browns players. Toot that horn on Browns Backers, cause it won't get you any points here.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't love JJ. Never had. I just don't hang my hat on people, or root for Steelers to fail. It's not in my DNA. I'm also not blinded on players to the point that I can't see when they make impact plays.

We all know you love Nassib, but I don't root for Browns players. Toot that horn on Browns Backers, cause it won't get you any points here.

The Browns belong in a urinal at a gas station. No issues there!

My issue is the Steelers have a huge hole at OLB, and Nassib a local boy at PSU lead the nation in sacks, tackles for losses, and forced fumbles!

He tore it up at the senior bowl practices and I felt he'd look awesome vs the run or as a pass rusher. We had him in for an interview but selected Davis instead.

Last year I wanted DB Rollins, and we selected Golson instead. That looks to be a mistake.

While it's too early to say what type of player Davis will be, if he doesn't improve a lot from what I saw in college I worry. He's weak in coverage and missed too many tackles. Sure he can hit, but those type of safeties draw flags these days.

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
The Browns belong in a urinal at a gas station. No issues there!

My issue is the Steelers have a huge hole at OLB, and Nassib a local boy at PSU lead the nation in sacks, tackles for losses, and forced fumbles!

He tore it up at the senior bowl practices and I felt he'd look awesome vs the run or as a pass rusher. We had him in for an interview but selected Davis instead.

Last year I wanted DB Rollins, and we selected Golson instead. That looks to be a mistake.

While it's too early to say what type of player Davis will be, if he doesn't improve a lot from what I saw in college I worry. He's weak in coverage and missed too many tackles. Sure he can hit, but those type of safeties draw flags these days.

I was also on the Nassib bandwagon pre draft. Had him in most of my mocks in rd 2 or 3. I'm also an avid PSU fan. If I had to chose a college game to watch, it would be PSU.

But for me, I'm not going to keep lamenting over a player on the Browns. He's a Brown now, so fuckem!

ZACKB

Reaction score
Can we stay on topic and chat about no slot corner? :)