• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Do we have a slot corner?

ark steel

Reaction score
Jones is terrible at pressuring the QB. Here's a stat for you, 136 players in the NFL had more QB pressures in 2015. Jarvis Jones had just 6 QB pressures for the year, good for the 161-186th place. Very poor!

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/st...-hurries/2015/

How did the Steelers as a team rate on QB Pressures?

33 Cameron Heyward DE 21 QB pressures
51 James Harrison LB 17 QB pressures
59 Stephon Tuitt PIT DE 16 QB pressures
73 Arthur Moats PIT LB 13 QB pressures
129 Bud Dupree PIT LB 8 QB pressures
180 Jarvis Jones PIT LB 6 QB pressures.

Jarvis Jones ability vs the run remains the fools gold currency of this board. He makes very few tackles. He's often he blocked, unable to engage or make a play.

If Jones was a 3rd or 7th round pick, I'd still want him replaced as the starter.

Oh, how I wish we drafted Carl Nassib in round two. That was my mock and pick on draft day. The guys doing well on the Stains.

Ark,

I'm comparing him to the NFL, which includes many players who do not start and had fewer snap counts. I do not think Jones played that often in coverage, as I have not seen him do it in the nickle or dime, and that's what we play most.

Chick didn't play vs the Eagles. He played just one pre-season game so far this season, but he has made a lot of plays in camp, which is something Jones has not done. So I have hope for him.

I'm not saying Chick is the savior, but I am saying he deserves some of Jones chances to see if he might be a better option. Last year I was a tad upset to see Howard Jones cut. He had 5 sacks as a part-time player, double the amount, Jarvis Jones.

I also want to point out that Arthur Moats, a backup doubled the amount of QB pressures compared to Jarvis Jones.

It's really not that hard to add 2 and 2 here. Jones isn't a rookie anymore. He's a finished product. As a pass rusher, Jarvis Jones is the worst option we have among the OLB's and DE's who played his amount of snaps or more.

The point is, in one post you show JJ's pressures. In the very next post, you say you can't compare Chick to JJ because he doesn't have the same snaps.

If you want to compare JJ to others, your own words say you should only compare him to people with around the same number of snaps. Can't have it both ways. I showed you one game where Chick had a lot of snaps (about half of JJ's for that game) and did nothing. Zero, zilch, nada. That doesn't bode well for Chick when JJ did get, at least, .5 sack and a tackle (only one or two).

So, you go do that. Don't compare him to the Aaron Donalds of the world. Compare him to people with the same basic # of snaps. You should, really, go further and see how many of those were run plays versus pass plays, but I am not sure that data is readily available anywhere. He may still come out at rock bottom, but do your homework and stop posting nonsense stats.

You don't need to convince ANYONE that JJ isn't what the team needs. So, you can stop. Please.

You want to convince people that Chick is the answer, but there is no back up for that. You ought to wait until there is. Or wait until everyone that truly understands stats, logic and/or football leaves the board.

black and gold apex

Reaction score
Come on fan base this was a legit question, won't be smart answers when we get picked apart on third down just as in the past. We are hurting in this position as well as TE and lets throw in a good back up QB. The whomevers we continue to say will step up , so far whomever hasn't shown

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Ark Ark Ark Ark Ark Ark Ark.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN Home Page/2016/08/steelers-film-room-sean-davis-vs-eagles/

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
ones is terrible at pressuring the QB. Here's a stat for you, 136 players in the NFL had more QB pressures in 2015. Jarvis Jones had just 6 QB pressures for the year, good for the 161-186th place. Very poor!

Jarvis Jones ability vs the run remains the fools gold currency of this board. He makes very few tackles. He's often he blocked, unable to engage or make a play.

If Jones was a 3rd or 7th round pick, I'd still want him replaced as the starter.

Oh, how I wish we drafted Carl Nassib in round two. That was my mock and pick on draft day. The guys doing well on the Stains.

Ark,

I'm comparing him to the NFL, which includes many players who do not start and had fewer snap counts. I do not think Jones played that often in coverage, as I have not seen him do it in the nickle or dime, and that's what we play most.

Chick didn't play vs the Eagles. He played just one pre-season game so far this season, but he has made a lot of plays in camp, which is something Jones has not done. So I have hope for him.

I'm not saying Chick is the savior, but I am saying he deserves some of Jones chances to see if he might be a better option. Last year I was a tad upset to see Howard Jones cut. He had 5 sacks as a part-time player, double the amount, Jarvis Jones.

I also want to point out that Arthur Moats, a backup doubled the amount of QB pressures compared to Jarvis Jones.

It's really not that hard to add 2 and 2 here. Jones isn't a rookie anymore. He's a finished product. As a pass rusher, Jarvis Jones is the worst option we have among the OLB's and DE's who played his amount of snaps or more.

The point is, in one post you show JJ's pressures. In the very next post, you say you can't compare Chick to JJ because he doesn't have the same snaps.

If you want to compare JJ to others, your own words say you should only compare him to people with around the same number of snaps. Can't have it both ways. I showed you one game where Chick had a lot of snaps (about half of JJ's for that game) and did nothing. Zero, zilch, nada. That doesn't bode well for Chick when JJ did get, at least, .5 sack and a tackle (only one or two).

So, you go do that. Don't compare him to the Aaron Donalds of the world. Compare him to people with the same basic # of snaps. You should, really, go further and see how many of those were run plays versus pass plays, but I am not sure that data is readily available anywhere. He may still come out at rock bottom, but do your homework and stop posting nonsense stats.

You don't need to convince ANYONE that JJ isn't what the team needs. So, you can stop. Please.

You want to convince people that Chick is the answer, but there is no back up for that. You ought to wait until there is. Or wait until everyone that truly understands stats, logic and/or football leaves the board.

Ark,

If you're hiding behind what you think is unknown data, it won't work for you.

How many snaps on defense did Chick have? Try 22!

Chickillo 22 snaps on defense On the field for 2% of the defensive snaps. This is way too small of a sample to grade, and he's a rookie.

Moats 553 snaps on defense, 12 QB Pressures

Jarvis Jones 452 snaps on Defense, 6 QB Pressures

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-defensive-snap-count-stats/2015/?query=jarvis+jones

So you see Moats is way more productive rushing the passer.

Now if you want to fine me a player who had 452 snaps or less that had few QB Pressures than Jones, I will be you won't find many!. The reverse is true, guys with less than 452 snaps than Jones had had superior QB pressure results.

Who says I'm comparing him to Donald? That's silly. Is Chick the answer? I don't know yet. Re-read that twice! But I do know that Chick had a good camp rushing the passer and in coverage and Jones has done nada in camp. What does that tell you?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
ones is terrible at pressuring the QB. Here's a stat for you, 136 players in the NFL had more QB pressures in 2015. Jarvis Jones had just 6 QB pressures for the year, good for the 161-186th place. Very poor!

Ark,

Ark,

Chickillo 22 snaps on defense On the field for 2% of the defensive snaps. This is way too small of a sample to grade, and he's a rookie.

http://www.sportingcharts.com/nfl/stats/player-defensive-snap-count-stats/2015/?query=jarvis+jones

Now if you want to fine me a player who had 452 snaps or less that had few QB Pressures than Jones, I will be you won't find many!. The reverse is true, guys with less than 452 snaps than Jones had had superior QB pressure results.

Who says I'm comparing him to Donald? That's silly. Is Chick the answer? I don't know yet. Re-read that twice! But I do know that Chick had a good camp rushing the passer and in coverage and Jones has done nada in camp. What does that tell you?

So where is it stated that Jones has done nothing in camp. There have been multiple reports that Jones was having a fine camp before he stopped practicing cause of injury

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So where is it stated that Jones has done nothing in camp. There have been multiple reports that Jones was having a fine camp before he stopped practicing cause of injury

Did you not see the " camp stats ". They were posted a while back. At any rate, it's clear Jones underperformed relative to his opportunities in games. That much is proven.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Those stats were for one on one's not 11 on 11. There have multiple reports he was having a good camp.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Did you not see the " camp stats ". They were posted a while back. At any rate, it's clear Jones underperformed relative to his opportunities in games. That much is proven.

If anyone should get more snaps it should be Moats. He can play either side

ark steel

Reaction score

Ark,

Ark,

Do you, honestly, think you know more about how stats work? Seriously.

I compared 1 game where both played against the same LT and, btw, noted the whole thing rather than using selective stats (i.e. Chick had 1/2 the snaps as JJ). In those 22 snaps, Chick did nothing, stat wise. Let's double that to get the same snap counts as JJ in the game. Still zero.

I never ever said it was indicative that Jones is good. In fact, you might even say that I stated that you don't have to prove to ANYONE that Jones is underperforming. So, stop. please. Again, please. It's like telling me Trump is good because Hillary sucks.

What you do need to prove is that Chick is any better. you have failed time and time again to do so. He has six tackles and a FF and FR in limited time! Yeah, on ST. Has anyone argued that JJ was a better ST'er? What has Chick done on actual Defense?

Zero tackles, sacks, or anything else on Defense in the regular season. Zero. Nada. Zilch.

Having a good camp means ****-all. Showing it on the field means everything and he has done nothing. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Diddly Squat.

you wont find a better cheerleader for the Steelers players (with one notable exception) than me. I want Chick to succeed and be a beast. To pretend he has done anything in the NFL thus far is redonkulous.