• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Day Three - Draft

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Offensive linemen 1st and 2nd round are soooo dull. I prefer getting a 5th QB, like Atlanta. Offensive line is overrated beyond description. Look at those great Steelers teams 1972-1979, the 2005 team - terrible offensive lines!! They could not run the ball AT ALL!

All QB's and WR's - they are never 1st round busts!
Well, we still need an outside receiver a starting CB either nickel or outside. Maybe we still need a RT. But hey we might have a starting caliber interior lineman like McCormick riding the pine so that is definitely important 👍

ianv2012

Reaction score
Well, we still need an outside receiver a starting CB either nickel or outside. Maybe we still need a RT. But hey we might have a starting caliber interior lineman like McCormick riding the pine so that is definitely important 👍
So who you taking at 20? Since we "might still need a RT" (this narrative is comedic) and let's say they had gone receiver in the second, you'd be complaining they didn't have a starting C. You can't fill every need, you take one position, something is getting passed on. McCormick is in the future plans, Daniels has 1 year left on his contract, Seumalo is on the wrong side of 30 and you can get out of his contract after this season if I'm not mistaken. You could pass on him for immediate need, but then you could be getting a less talented player that doesn't stick anyways. You can huff and puff as the day is long about what should have been done, and frankly you're one of the select few (as is the norm) being critical of this class. But I'd expect nothing less from you tbh

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
So who you taking at 20? Since we "might still need a RT" (this narrative is comedic) and let's say they had gone receiver in the second, you'd be complaining they didn't have a starting C. You can't fill every need, you take one position, something is getting passed on. McCormick is in the future plans, Daniels has 1 year left on his contract, Seumalo is on the wrong side of 30 and you can get out of his contract after this season if I'm not mistaken. You could pass on him for immediate need, but then you could be getting a less talented player that doesn't stick anyways. You can huff and puff as the day is long about what should have been done, and frankly you're one of the select few (as is the norm) being critical of this class. But I'd expect nothing less from you tbh
I'm sure it'll be coming soon, Ford always posts his mock along the draft with what he would do. I believe he has them all in a single thread so you can see all his past mock drafts. It's kinda cool to keep track of.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Check my mock long mock I just updated.

I stated long term we are fine at interior line. But for 2024 we still are unsure of our RT situation.

I like Fautanu and feel he will be a starter. Just might not be where we need help this year.

ianv2012

Reaction score
Check my mock long mock I just updated.

I stated long term we are fine at interior line. But for 2024 we still are unsure of our RT situation.

I like Fautanu and feel he will be a starter. Just might not be where we need help this year.
Fautanu is a tackle whether it's him at LT and Broderick at RT or Broderick at LT and Fautanu at RT, we have our tackles so let it go

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Fautanu is a tackle whether it's him at LT and Broderick at RT or Broderick at LT and Fautanu at RT, we have our tackles so let it go
He might be. But he might have to move to guard or center.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
With Frazier drafted why would he have to move Center ?
You put the best players on the field. If Fautanu or even McCormick end up the best center on the team then you play them. I think Fautanu gets his first looks at tackle but if he struggles mightily they could start trying him at guard and center to compete. I hope he can secure the RT position and be an all pro. But only a bad coach wouldn’t put the best players on the Field. Kind of like how Moore is still LT and everyone knows Jones should have been.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
You put the best players on the field. If Fautanu or even McCormick end up the best center on the team then you play them. I think Fautanu gets his first looks at tackle but if he struggles mightily they could start trying him at guard and center to compete. I hope he can secure the RT position and be an all pro. But only a bad coach wouldn’t put the best players on the Field. Kind of like how Moore is still LT and everyone knows Jones should have been.
Don't see how Frazierz unless injured isn't the best center in the roster right now

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't see how Frazierz unless injured isn't the best center in the roster right now
You don’t move your stud rookie LT to C, you actually want him improving at his position to the point he can replace Moore sooner than later. I thought the coaches saw a problem at RT and smartly moved Broderick there last year. That was a prime example of getting your best players on the field but at the position they are developing at T. Frazier’s history of C play should be a quicker transition to a guy who never played the position.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Are you comparing Fautanu to Frazier? Fautanu is a great athlete for a tackle. Frazier is an average athlete for a center.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Fauntanu is going to struggle because almost all rookie tackles struggle. Andrew Thomas is the most recent example of this where many called him a bust and now he is one of the best in the league. I have no reason to believe that Fauntanu won't eventually be a starter at tackle.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
Fauntanu is going to struggle because almost all rookie tackles struggle. Andrew Thomas is the most recent example of this where many called him a bust and now he is one of the best in the league. I have no reason to believe that Fauntanu won't eventually be a starter at tackle.
Struggling and struggling mightily are two different things. It won’t take long to see if there’s potential to stay outside. It’s like Kendrick Green at center. It wasn’t too long that we could tell it wasn’t going to work out. I do expect Fautanu to get every opportunity at tackle. And I can see them sticking with Moore one last year at LT before moving Jones to LT in 2025 and then giving Fautanu his shot at starting. Might be the best thing for him. Get some practice vs TJ Watt and see if that helps sharpen his game.