• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Day Three - Draft

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
so what do the Steelers still need?

CB, DL, another WR, S??

Another edge rusher??

I think it is likely they double dip at WR

obviously not having a 5th rounder means they must take Nelson Ceaser out of UH in the 4th.....damn some heads would explode (and not in a good way)

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score

CB, DL, another WR, S??

Another edge rusher??

obviously not having a 5th rounder means they must take Nelson Ceaser out of UH in the 4th.....damn some heads would explode (and not in a good way)
I am thinking CB or S in 4 but can’t rule out OLBer or doubling up at WR.

In 6 what they didn’t pick in 4 but I would add possible throwing another C onto the woodpile.

Last edited:

xjx

Reaction score

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I think DL needs some attention as to who is the best available and the value of the pick.
We have been fortunate in that respects of need vs value to this point.

GottA hand it to The Kahn & Wiedl, combined with the diligence of work required, to pull of what has now become the normal draft success.

Salute the nation

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score

CB, DL, another WR, S??

Another edge rusher??

Where does your "UH pimping" end and your STEELERS fandom begin ?

Asking for a friend---

Salute the nation

suncitysteel

Soli Deo Gloria
Forefather
Reaction score
CB, DL, and. WR (since it doesn’t look like we’re making a play for Aiyuk, Samuel, or Sutton).

Then we’ll rely on UFA signings for the extra camp bodies and that includes our 4th QB.

JMM

Gone Fishin'
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm right here. Can't you understand plain English

CB, DL, another WR, S??

Another edge rusher??

Caesar and a Roman in one draft? Super Bowl bound!

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
BPA between CB/DL/S/WR, Jordan Travis in the 6th?

I think value won't meet talent available at DL until the 6th, CB should be the first choice as there are still decent options available: Tampa, Khyree, Hart, Brownlee, Abrams-Draine, DJ James. The bad thing is that a few of these don't match well for the slot CB role

Last edited:

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
BPA between CB/DL/S/WR, Jordan Travis in the 6th?

I think value won't meet talent available at DL until the 6th, CB should be the first choice at CB as there are still decent options available: Tampa, Khyree, Hart, Brownlee, Abrams-Draine, DJ James. The bad thing is that a few of these don't match well for the slot CB role
You could always move the acquired CB inside if a drafted CB showed in game capable. Just think they won’t rely on a late pick without a vet competition.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
You could always move the acquired CB inside if a drafted CB showed in game capable. Just think they won’t rely on a late pick without a vet competition.
Thought Donte isn't a Nickel either and honestly, none tof the CB left can start right away on the outside, but we Might find a starting Nickel

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Thought Donte isn't a Nickel either and honestly, none tof the CB left can start right away on the outside, but we Might find a starting Nickel
Might find one sure but that is rolling the dice if they don’t have an alternative route. I think we can almost lock a free agent Inside corner being brought in.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
CB, DL, and. WR (since it doesn’t look like we’re making a play for Aiyuk, Samuel, or Sutton).

Then we’ll rely on UFA signings for the extra camp bodies and that includes our 4th QB.
Olakadun is probably free and doesn't cost a draft pick this time, lol.

Stewey

Reaction score

CB, DL, another WR, S??

Another edge rusher??

I don't know much about college players, so I put all my trust you.
Ceasar it is!

Unless Coach has a different opinion.

Last edited:

Greg Lloyd

Reaction score
Mekhi Wingo, DT, LSU-he can attack gaps and explode upfield; could make a lot of plays in the backfield.

TJ Tampa, CB, IA State - tall, rangy. Why not take a swing on him?

Cam Hart, CB ND - even taller than Tampa. Not the fastest (4.5) but can play.

Kris Abrams-Draine, CB, Missouri - can play slot.
Brandon Dorius, DT, Oregon

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
18 picks before they run to the podium.

Troy Franklin, Devontez Walker, Mekhi Wingo, Leonard Taylor, T J Tampa, Khyree Jackson, Jaden Hicks, in no particular order, although one of the corners would be nice.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
resign Sutton and then sign Boyd. pick BPA.
Is Sutton looking at an NFL suspension? I haven't really kept up on the details of his issue......perhaps the media and his poor initial handling have provided an opportunity?

mightyguru

On a cloud...
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
WR and DL....make it so.

ianv2012

Reaction score
The guys I see the Steelers being interested in:

CB TJ Tampa, whatever caused this guy to fall idk, and I wasn't huge on him in the second where he was projected, but the value at this point is hard to ignore. Probably inside/outside capable although I believe he's more of an outside corner.

OL Mason McCormick, I know we don't necessarily need another IOL, but I love McCormick and again the value of him still being there is hard to pass up, he could be a starting G in a couple years, perhaps insurance for Seumalo that's getting up there in age. I realize not an immediate starter but excellent upside depth with possibility to be a future starter

Two Nickel CBs I love on day 3-
CB MJ Devonshire and CB Daequan Hardy, both tested off the charts (Hardy even more) and Devonshire has good length for be smaller in height (also was a local 30 visit). I think either one could compete to start in that nickel role. Not sure if they last to the 6th.

CB Kris Abrams-Draine, another talented nickel corner, and the 4th is the spot where he is expected to go.

WR Jalen Coker, a receiver with a little more size at 6'1, but also has smooth route running skills and strong hands, really like this kid as a sleeper in this draft.

WR Javon Baker, another 6'1 receiver that is expected to go early on day 3, strong receiver, not as nuanced in his route running as Coker, but shows more strength in contested catches.

WR Tahj Washington, smaller than Roman, but plays with a nasty demeanor and will challenge in the blocking game, feisty and gets after it. He's also more talented as a receiver than given credit for, will do all the dirty work and make himself of available to QB

WR Ja'Quan Jackson, a late round guy I really really like. He caught my attention during the gauntlet during the combine as he blew that drill out of the water. At Tulane he was their most dangerous weapon. He didn't test well, but on tape he plays way fast than his times, and I believe he could be a late round steal.

DL Justin Egboigbe, another Alabama DL so you know he's coached up, but he has the size and length we look for and he tested well so he has some athletic upside as well, I could see him being a target

DL Gabe Hall, big DL with incredible athletic testing numbers but lower production at Baylor, type of guy you take with traits you can't teach so you hope to coach him into a better pro.

DL Kristian Boyd, small school DL player who drew a lot of interest from the NFL. Steelers showed plenty of interest, he has the measurables we like the concern is just small school production, but I believe he did one of the pre draft all star games and impressed

DL Logan Lee, Steelers had him in for a visit also, he's not our prototypical DL build at 6'5 280 something, but they may believe he can add weight. He's an accomplished run defender, but doesn't really have upside as a pass rusher. He's more of a 6th-7th in my mind, depth player.

DL Zion Logue, kind of a mystery but he played at Georgia and everyone knows about that program, and being buried on that DL might be a bad thing for his stock, but it could mean there is untapped potential there. Intriguing late rounder.

DL Jaden Crumedy, one of my favorite late round DL prospects, he shows tenacity always and dominance in spurts on tape. I like him in the 4th but he's projected much later, I'd be happy if we were able to snag him somewhere on day 3

TE/FB Jaheim Bell, undersized TE that fits Arthur Smiths scheme as a FB, I'm not a huge fan of the idea but the Steelers showed interest and the guy has some blocking/receiving ability

CBs Cam Hart and Khyree Jackson, two massive corners Khyree has more height while Hart has more girth, both are big long CBs, neither help the nickel but they could be added as depth and insurance for Corey Trice and Darius Rush, 2 more big long CBs I loved from last years draft.

SS Jaden Hicks, I love this kid, thought he was the top safety and I'm stunned he's still available. He's a box SS who could eventually take Elliot's job as he has massive size and athleticism. He's brick house who plays fast and doesn't miss tackles, he brings a load when he hits and has great instincts. Day one he's a fantastic special teamers, and probably starts working in against run formations.

S Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, one of the highly athletic Texas Tech safeties, he's undersized at 5'11 190 something, but he tested off the charts and I think he could be molded into a nickel CB/3rd safety, he has the coverage chops and the athletic skill to manage that nickel position and I think he's being underrated.

OT Travis Glover, small school tackle with high upside (incredible testing), Steelers showed plenty of interest I believe even had him in for a visit. He's got all the measurables to be an OT, and he should be had late, if they move on from Dan Moore soon or next year, you get a developmental tackle who provides depth along with Dylan Cook, another guy the Steelers are high on from all reports.

QB Jordan Travis, apparently Pittsburgh media is obsessed with Rattler, while I love Travis. If he didn't tear his ACL near the end of the season, he's most likely a fringe first early second round pick. Dude plays with heart, he's a leader, he's accurate, he's mobile, and has a lightning quick release. If there is an insurance QB I'd love to have behind Wilson and Fields it's Jordan Travis.

QB Joe Milton, rocket arm, massive size, hard to sack, escapability and can run with the best of them. Reminds me of Anthony Richardson, and I'm not quite sure why this guy wasn't given the benefit of the doubt like Ant. I guess it's that he couldn't get the starting gig until late in his college career, but man does this guy have all the traits you look for, and he's the guy you take a chance on to develop this late in the draft. He needs to learn touch and timing, but everything else is something that can't be taught.

QB Carter Bradley, son of Gus Bradley who was HC for Jags and now the DC for Indy, he played at little South Alabama, he's probably received the most interest from the Steelers as our QB coach was at his pro day, he could be another Oladokun type they take in the 6th hoping he latches on as a developmental QB 3rd on the depth chart making Kyle Allen expendable. He shows a lot of positive things, and he has pretty good upside, hard to judge the kid with the talent around him at S Alabama though.

RB Isaac Guerendo, well built and tested off the charts, while RB isn't a need we don't have a 3rd one and this guy could be a special gem late in the draft and we've been lucky to somewhat maintain health at RB, no reason you shouldn't have depth in case of emergency, and Guerendo is a helluva player to get this late. Plus he's one of the few RBs the Steelers showed interest in.

RB George Holani, basically the same reasoning as Guerendo but less talented. Holani is a one cut runner that doesn't have the long speed, but he's shifty and slippery, with good vision to get 5-8 yd chunks. The Steelers showed interest in him as well but he's a fringe late round/undrafted player. Could be a find as a complimentary back.

CB/S Ryan Watts, my favorite late round prospect, and I'm honestly not even sure why he's considered a late rounder as he is a height weight speed player, who shows better on tape than I expected. There are many times where he blankets receivers and lives in their hip pocket, just watch the Washington tape, if it wasn't for Penix being perfect Watts was all over his guys

tapeANaspirin2it

Contributor
Reaction score
Steelers drafted Roman Wilson and also added Van Jefferson, Quez Watkins and Denzel Mims

Roman Wilson is a slot guy. He does not get off jams at the line. Mich had him in motion a lot to avoid that.
Watkins is just a speed guy and special teamer.
Van Jefferson is a mediocre vet. Not awful if he starts but can upgrade
Denzel Mims - former 2nd round pick. a big WR that didn't get much of a chance with the Jets. He fits Smith's system

Mims has some possible upside. Jefferson is an OK starter. I think they need another big outside WR either in draft or by trade.