• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coach's End of the year awards:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Okay then, do you agree me that he has improved and was rather bad in the first half of the season?

Why Wex well respected? The guy has some major issues off the field and his twitter account was either hacked or had some non pg 13 type of stuff on it that could get him fired.

PM me if you want those details. He's not who you think he is.

No I do not think he was bad at the beginning of the year he made rookie mistakes yes. But bad no. Burns gave up big plays I don't see you holding him to the fire. Davis was also playing out of position but that doesn't matter of course

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Awww be quiet Wig let us have some fun lol

The wig is right. I offered to bury it. But some won't, and they will complain if I start a new thread at a later date.

One more offer to bury it... The playoffs are here. We need every man who plays, including the long snapper to be excellent

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, he whiffed on a likely sack, unblocked. The end zone play made up for the mistake.

Safties by their definition get lots of chances to make plays. Years ago there was Anthony Smith. Remember him? He had hands and could hit, but as soon as they gave him more coverage sensibilities, he was exposed.

I don't think Davis is going to be the next Smith. Smith was too slow but we shall see how Davis is in coverage in time. He did give up a TD recently, to the Bengals I think.

All players miss tackles, sacks...give up catches and TD's.....or maybe you have a handful you know that haven't.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
No I do not think he was bad at the beginning of the year he made rookie mistakes yes. But bad no. Burns gave up big plays I don't see you holding him to the fire. Davis was also playing out of position but that doesn't matter of course

There is where we disagree, and the filmat data will support me in the beginning of the year. Burns is far better in pass defense.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The wig is right. I offered to bury it. But some won't, and they will complain if I start a new thread at a later date.

One more offer to bury it... The playoffs are here. We need every man who plays, including the long snapper to be excellent

OK no problem but that means if Davis misses a tackle gives up a catch that you can't say anything about it either..not one peep

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
There is where we disagree, and the filmat data will support me in the beginning of the year. Burns is far better in pass defense.

*State Farm voice* "Well Burns is a CB so..."

mdk2

Reaction score

More times than not, corners are going to be better in pass coverage than safeties.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Not last game. Davis had more. In fact Burns had none. Considering CBs have more opportunities than safeties, that means........?

And what data are you speaking of? Who has more missed tackles? Who has more Forrest Gump moments? Both of these have been shown you are wrong, incorrect, or false.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Stryker

Podcast/ VidCast/ Writer
Contributor
Reaction score
I laughed out loud when I read this title. Remembering what happened at the half way grades.

I will say Coach, I like the post, and can't argue with your assessments.

I will add that My coach of the year would be John Mitchell. Munchak went the entire year with his line basically intact. Sure the subs played great, but there was no real cause for alarm along the Oline as there has been in years past. This year, the Dline was the issue. Heyward and Hargrave started the season injured. Heyward didn't get back to form for 4 weeks. Heyward missed 2 weeks with a hamstring, and we couldn't stop the run. He returns after the bye and 2 weeks later is placed on IR for tearing his pectoral. I thought the season was over right there, but instead Hargrave and Tuitt stepped up immediately. Since that point, the steelers have been stout against the run, and we've won 6 straight games. We're doing it with a patchwork line of Walton, Mathews, Maxey, and Big Dan. This is the single greatest coaching job on the team this year. WRs are second in my book with an Honorable Mention to Coach Tomlin for keeping this team intact after a 4 game slide to win 6 in a row to clinch the division.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
OK no problem but that means if Davis misses a tackle gives up a catch that you can't say anything about it either..not one peep

To define it, I won't start any Davis blew this or that threads, and you and others won't start any hey Coach did you see Davis do this thread.

BUT during a game comments thread, good or bad play is fair game as long as it's not calling out another poster.

I'll shake on that. Deal?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
To define it, I won't start any Davis blew this or that threads, and you and others won't start any hey Coach did you see Davis do this thread.

BUT during a game comments thread, good or bad play is fair game as long as it's not calling out another poster.

I'll shake on that. Deal?

Can't speak for anyone else but I won't

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Sure. I just see more -'s than +'s on his play this season. Dropped Int's, too many missed tackles, TD's given up, ect... I never called him a bust, but I suspect some may not remember that if he turns out to be a good starter

Coach, I think the point is that he is ALREADY a good starter.

As a rookie.

And his struggles early in the season came when injuries forced him to play slot corner. That is not the position he was drafted to play or should be playing. He is instead a strong safety, and doing very well in that role.

Would you be harshly critical of Deangelo Williams if injuries forced him to play WR and he was not good in that role?

As to the fact he gave up a TD ... every defensive back who has played more than 50 snaps has given up a TD. Rod Woodson, Mel Blount, Darrelle Revis, Darrell Green, Josh Norman, Deion Sanders - all gave up TD's. Every freaking one of them.

Hell, Sanders gave up a TD to Yancey Thigpen in SB XXX on a slant, from the same idiot QB who apparently thought that Larry Brown as the guy who used to play TE for the Steelers and was a receiver for the team.

ark steel

Reaction score
Coach's End of the year awards:

Offensive MVP. Roethlisberger., A very solid season. 29TD's, 13 Int's interceptions, 3,819 yards, 95.4 passer rating.

I define MVP as the most important player needed for victory. Although Bell and Brown are great we can win games without them. Take Ben off this team, and the season is over. Hence he's my MVP pick.

Defensive MVP. Timmons. This wasn't an easy choice, but Timmons play down the stretch with key turnovers, and stops are a big reason why the team made the playoffs. Timmons leads the team with 108 tackles ( Cleveland game to go ) and paid huge dividends in coverage with 2 interceptions, and 5 passes defenses. He remains a hammer vs the run, and a quality blitzer.

Coaching MVP: Munchak. The offensive line had an excellent year. When starters were out, Finney and much to my surprise Hubbard played well above expectations. Pouncey had his best season in years and Villanueva is greatly improved.

Most improved player ( Non-rookie ). This was close! I'm giving it to Villanueva. A force vs the run, Villanueva improved his pass blocking and technique. He used to have issues with speed rushers at Left Tackle, but not so much this season. A key reason why Ben was only sacked 17 times. The best was Brady at 15, but he missed more games due to a suspension. Others you can argue for are Cockrell and Berry.

Rookie of the year. Burns. Burns play has given the Steelers a big corner who can run and make plays on the ball, offering the team flexibility to deploy Gay to the slot. 3 interceptions and 12 passes defended is a good year for any corner. Burns did that as a rookie.

Special Teams player of the year. Boswell. His game of 6-6 FG's and touchdown saving tackle vs the Bengals made him an MVP for a game. Boswell was 11 for 12 on kicks from 40-49 yards, 2nd best in the NFL. A money kicker.

Best off season free agent singing You could argue our best free agency move was letting Bechum walk, but the best signing was Ladarius Green. When healthy Green showed he's a tall man who can run and catch. The trouble is he hasn't been healthy.

Haven't spent much time thinking about Most improved player or coaching jobs, but can agree with the rest. Have to think about the FA stuff. Maybe best FA move rather than signing. What FA's did we sign other than Green? Maybe, Green, by default?

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So, my Publix sub sammich is AWESOME!!!!

Turkey, spinach, tomatoes, banana peppers and swiss cheese!!! Lil' mayo, mustard, oil, vinegar and black pepper - WINNER!!!

One of those $1.00 Walmart frozen meals (Swedish meatballs) with a $1.00 frozen peas vegetable and a little cheese. VERY good for the value. Less than 7 minutes and less than $2.75 ............

Salute the nation

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Rookie of the year ought to be Davis, not burns... Davis started earlier, learned multiple positions, and had an impact at a position that is extremely difficult for a rookie to start at...... Burns looks like a keeper, but cb is typically the easiest position on d to play as a rookie

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
My changes:

MVP- Leveon Bell. Best at his position in the entire NFL. Single handily won us several games (e.g. Bill's performance). His play opens up the offense for Ben and Brown, more so than the other way around.

Coach- Mitchell by a long shot. Our oline has performed well, but Munchak is working with 1st and 2nd round, All Pro talent. Mitchell, on the other hand is working with rookies and UDFA's. And somehow we are still a top 5 rush defense in the league.

blitzburghv5

Reaction score
There is a rookie of the year poll here in another thread. Who's winning it?

I'm 99% sure Davis will not win the Steelers rookie of the year. You can almost count Rogers as a rookie, and IMO he's been very key lately.

Rogers hadn't even played half the season. At least Davis played in every game this season

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Who the best singer is shouldn't matter. Has nothing to do with football.

Brown hands down, and he can dance. Silly spell checker.

Steeltime

They killed Kenny!
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Does rapping count as singing?

Remove the "w" the last word, and this gif spells out my thoughts:

tumblr_mfk4u9i7lY1qctvjho1_500.gif