• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coach's End of the year awards:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach's End of the year awards:

Offensive MVP. Roethlisberger., A very solid season. 29TD's, 13 Int's interceptions, 3,819 yards, 95.4 passer rating.

I define MVP as the most important player needed for victory. Although Bell and Brown are great we can win games without them. Take Ben off this team, and the season is over. Hence he's my MVP pick.

Defensive MVP. Timmons. This wasn't an easy choice, but Timmons play down the stretch with key turnovers, and stops are a big reason why the team made the playoffs. Timmons leads the team with 108 tackles ( Cleveland game to go ) and paid huge dividends in coverage with 2 interceptions, and 5 passes defenses. He remains a hammer vs the run, and a quality blitzer.

Coaching MVP: Munchak. The offensive line had an excellent year. When starters were out, Finney and much to my surprise Hubbard played well above expectations. Pouncey had his best season in years and Villanueva is greatly improved.

Most improved player ( Non-rookie ). This was close! I'm giving it to Villanueva. A force vs the run, Villanueva improved his pass blocking and technique. He used to have issues with speed rushers at Left Tackle, but not so much this season. A key reason why Ben was only sacked 17 times. The best was Brady at 15, but he missed more games due to a suspension. Others you can argue for are Cockrell and Berry.

Rookie of the year. Burns. Burns play has given the Steelers a big corner who can run and make plays on the ball, offering the team flexibility to deploy Gay to the slot. 3 interceptions and 12 passes defended is a good year for any corner. Burns did that as a rookie.

Special Teams player of the year. Boswell. His game of 6-6 FG's and touchdown saving tackle vs the Bengals made him an MVP for a game. Boswell was 11 for 12 on kicks from 40-49 yards, 2nd best in the NFL. A money kicker.

Best off season free agent singing You could argue our best free agency move was letting Bechum walk, but the best signing was Ladarius Green. When healthy Green showed he's a tall man who can run and catch. The trouble is he hasn't been healthy.

Last edited:

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think the most improved player is Sean Davis, and it isn't close. I notice you made that category "non-rookie." I imagine that is why.

There is a rookie of the year poll here in another thread. Who's winning it?

I'm 99% sure Davis will not win the Steelers rookie of the year. You can almost count Rogers as a rookie, and IMO he's been very key lately.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't matter. It isn't rookie of the year we are talking about. We are talking about most improved. I happen to think that player is Sean Davis. You obviously do not.

Davis is going to make you eat a lot of crow in the coming years.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Interesting Wexell thinks he seems to have a shot.

Ravens third-and-3 at the Pittsburgh 4 and the Steelers' season looks bleak. The team's Rookie of the Year, Sean Davis, breaks up what appeared to be a touchdown pass. Ravens kick, 20-10.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1740705-epic-reboot-steelers-31-ravens-27

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

LOL, read the award.

Most improved player ( Non-rookie )

Are you agreeing with my initial assessment that Davis was awful early? Please reply...

Most improved rookie? Maybe Ayers. From the PS squad to making two key plays. That's sudden improvement.

PS: Not sure if we can talk about Wexell or not here, but he's the type of beat writer who is extra chummy and will defend the ones who make mistakes if they give him some " Info ".

Last edited:

paperclip

Reaction score
how much of a stretch is it to call a 2nd year player "almost a rookie"?

Up above, that was tacked onto Eli Rogers. Hmmm. Who else has been referred to as almost a rookie this season?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
LOL, read the award.

Most improved player ( Non-rookie )

Are you agreeing with my initial assessment that Davis was awful early? Please reply...

Most improved rookie? Maybe Ayers. From the PS squad to making two key plays. That's sudden improvement.

PS: Not sure if we can talk about Wexell or not here, but he's the type of beat writer who is extra chummy and will defend the ones who make mistakes if they give him some " Info ".
What are you talking about?? Wexell believes Davis has a shot at being Steelers rookie of the year. Why is it so hard to just admit the kid has been a vital piece of the puzzle to our improved play..

See watch it's easy. Jarvis Jones while I don't think is a complete bust he is a disappointment and unless he is willing to be a backup and resign for cheap has played his last down for the Steelers. I was wrong in thinking that with time he would improve..

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
What are you talking about?? Wexell believes Davis has a shot at being Steelers rookie of the year. Why is it so hard to just admit the kid has been a vital piece of the puzzle to our improved play..

See watch it's easy. Jarvis Jones while I don't think is a complete bust he is a disappointment and unless he is willing to be a backup and resign for cheap has played his last down for the Steelers. I was wrong in thinking that with time he would improve..

So you admit Coach was right?!!!!!

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
how much of a stretch is it to call a 2nd year player "almost a rookie"?

Up above, that was tacked onto Eli Rogers. Hmmm. Who else has been referred to as almost a rookie this season?

Rogers didn't play last year. I think the NFL has a 1-year experience designation for players who were on IR their first season, so yeah he's almost a rookie as he played in zero NFL games in 2015.

I'm going to add one more category for the awards. Best offseason free agent.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
Rogers didn't play last year. I think the NFL has a 1-year experience designation for players who were on IR their first season, so yeah he's almost a rookie as he played in zero NFL games in 2015.

I'm going to add one more category for the awards. Best offseason free agent.

You are only going to add one more? Heck i thought you could add about 5 or 6 more....each one with their own thread.

ark steel

Reaction score
I think the most improved player is Sean Davis, and it isn't close. I notice you made that category "non-rookie." I imagine that is why.

I guess I have to defend Coach here. While that may have been the genesis of the category, for "most improved", I think of "over last year" not, "since the beginning of the year".

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Yeah sometimes you have to man up and admit you are wrong Still.

I asked you a question. If you think Davis is the most improved player on the team ( Not an award I gave ) are you agreeing with my initial assessment that Davis was awful early? Please reply...

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
I asked you a question. If you think Davis is the most improved player on the team ( Not an award I gave ) are you agreeing with my initial assessment that Davis was awful early? Please reply...

No one disputes Davis' play was bad his first few games.....but everyone knew the coaches were asking him to learn multiple positions at the time. To much on his plate. They scaled it back for him and he has flourished of late.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
You are confusing me with another poster I never said Davis was up for the "most Improved". You said he doesn't have a shot at rookie of the year for the team. I posted that a well respected beat writer for the team feels he does by calling him the rookie of the year

paperclip

Reaction score
If you think Davis is the most improved player on the team ( Not an award I gave ) are you agreeing with my initial assessment that Davis was awful early? Please reply...

So in order to be Most Improved on the team, you have to be awful early?

You give the award to Villanueva - so he was awful early?

Please reply....

wig

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Can you guys please stop pissing in each other's wheaties long enough to enjoy the fact that the secondary for the first time in about 5 or 6 years is starting to look like an NFL caliber secondary?

Man, it's like you're siblings arguing over who has to take the upper bunk. You're BOTH right and you're BOTH wrong. Work it out you dorks.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
No one disputes Davis' play was bad his first few games.....but everyone knew the coaches were asking him to learn multiple positions at the time. To much on his plate. They scaled it back for him and he has flourished of late.

Well, he whiffed on a likely sack, unblocked. The end zone play made up for the mistake.

Safties by their definition get lots of chances to make plays. Years ago there was Anthony Smith. Remember him? He had hands and could hit, but as soon as they gave him more coverage sensibilities, he was exposed.

I don't think Davis is going to be the next Smith. Smith was too slow but we shall see how Davis is in coverage in time. He did give up a TD recently, to the Bengals I think.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
You are confusing me with another poster I never said Davis was up for the "most Improved". You said he doesn't have a shot at rookie of the year for the team. I posted that a well respected beat writer for the team feels he does by calling him the rookie of the year

Okay then, do you agree me that he has improved and was rather bad in the first half of the season?

Why is Wex well respected? The guy has some major issues off the field and his twitter account was either hacked or had some non pg 13 type of stuff on it that could get him fired.

PM me if you want those details. My guess is you will respect neither. He's not who you think he is. And he's been called out for integrity by a national writer.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Can you guys please stop pissing in each other's wheaties long enough to enjoy the fact that the secondary for the first time in about 5 or 6 years is starting to look like an NFL caliber secondary?

Man, it's like you're siblings arguing over who has to take the upper bunk. You're BOTH right and you're BOTH wrong. Work it out you dorks.

Awww be quiet Wig let us have some fun lol... Its fun to see Coach do everything but say nice play Davis

Last edited:

mdk2

Reaction score
Well, he whiffed on a likely sack, unblocked. The end zone play made up for the mistake.

Safties by their definition get lots of chances to make plays. Years ago there was Anthony Smith. Remember him? He had hands and could hit, but as soon as they gave him more coverage sensibilities, he was exposed.

I don't think Davis is going to be the next Smith. Smith was too slow but we shall see how Davis is in coverage in time. He did give up a TD recently, to the Bengals I think.[/QUOTE]

You realize this happens from time to time right? I even saw Troy give up a few TDs...

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

I don't think Davis is going to be the next Smith. Smith was too slow but we shall see how Davis is in coverage in time. He did give up a TD recently, to the Bengals I think.[/QUOTE]

You realize this happens from time to time right? I even saw Troy give up a few TDs...

Sure. I just see more -'s than +'s on his play this season. Dropped Int's, too many missed tackles, TD's given up, ect... I never called him a bust, but I suspect some may not remember that if he turns out to be a good starter