• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coach did not watch the game, but knows what went wrong. Read all about it.

Wingman

Reaction score
Concern, yes. But again **** happens.

Our High School team lost their first game 38-7 against a lower division school. I made the mistake of saying they would be lucky to win 2 games, they since have won 4 straight against some of the biggest toughest schools in our conference. You can't make snap judgements because of one game either way. We will be a totally different team by the end of the season for better or worse.

I would not be surprised if a high school team could not have beat them on Sunday, they were that bad. Sad thing is the game was not as close as the score made it look. The steelers did not execute well in any aspect of the game. Bad throws, bad snaps, poor blocking, drops, if you can think of a skill set that football players were supposed to have the steelers displayed how not to do it on Sunday. I will not blame the coaches for this one there was a complete lack of effort by everyone but a few guys on the team, in addition to the lack of effort there was also poor execution everywhere.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
But you didn t see yesterday so STFU

I will, but what difference will it make? 99% of the board who doesn't give blowjobs out for free knows what happened. The only thing left is for micro analysis, such as who missed tackles, bad coaching play calls, et cetera.

jsinohio

Reaction score
The one thing you need to know is the score. If the Defense had played lights out and only allowed 7 points, the score would have been 7-3 and a loss. 7-3, 37-3 makes no difference to me.

Very good point. I'm so busy bashing the D (not that it isn't deserved) I tend to forget this extremely valid, glaringly obvious fact.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Next week game will tell the story for the coaches because KC offense is very similar to Philly's if not the same

Fiji Mariner

Reaction score
I think from watching the game, something you should do if you're going to comment/post on it, that Heyward needs to be taken out of the nose in our sub package. He gets double teamed and frequently cut as well. The abuse he takes playing this position in the sub package is detrimental to his ability to provide the much needed pass rush from him when he plays end. He is already on the field too much due to a lack of line depth but this compounds the fatigue issue.

JJ goes out early with injury, Bud on IR, Shazier gets dinged up again and then Timmons off to the hospital. Our LB crew was decimated. So you have Moats, Chick, Fort and Vince all on the field way too much with 2 tired ends and a bunch of youth in the secondary (Golden on sideline hurt as well)...recipe for a long afternoon.

The snowball started rolling early and really got going with injuries and surprise surprise horrid officiating. These things happen sometimes in a football game, the game just got away from us. The sky is not falling, **** happens sometimes. Take our medicine/thumping like a big boy and move on cause Bell is ready to unleash some hell.

And how did Limas Sweed shrink, steal a #11 jersey and slip onto the field? Wth!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I will, but what difference will it make? 99% of the board who doesn't give blowjobs out for free knows what happened. The only thing left is for micro analysis, such as who missed tackles, bad coaching play calls, et cetera.

So go watch it then the rest of us can give a less of a **** about your opinion then we do now

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I think from watching the game, something you should do if you're going to comment/post on it, that Heyward needs to be taken out of the nose in our sub package. He gets double teamed and frequently cut as well. The abuse he takes playing this position in the sub package is detrimental to his ability to provide the much needed pass rush from him when he plays end. He is already on the field too much due to a lack of line depth but this compounds the fatigue issue.

JJ goes out early with injury, Bud on IR, Shazier gets dinged up again and then Timmons off to the hospital. Our LB crew was decimated. So you have Moats, Chick, Fort and Vince all on the field way too much with 2 tired ends and a bunch of youth in the secondary (Golden on sideline hurt as well)...recipe for a long afternoon.

The snowball started rolling early and really got going with injuries and surprise surprise horrid officiating. These things happen sometimes in a football game, the game just got away from us. The sky is not falling, **** happens sometimes. Take our medicine/thumping like a big boy and move on cause Bell is ready to unleash some hell.

And how did Limas Sweed shrink, steal a #11 jersey and slip onto the field? Wth!!!

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!

That is a huge issue right now. Heyward and Tuitt need to be freed up and play End when they rush 4. But Butler likes the versatility of ends who can drop.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
But coach... Chickallo saw the field... And had as many tackles as or left tackle did???? I dont understand... Wasnt he great?

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
The D played well overall in weeks 1 and 2. No real complaints there other than better tackling and Jarvis sucks. Game three, the entire D sucked but we also had 5 different guys injured at various times with some coming back in to play injured (Shazier, Timmons, etc.) We still had poor tackling and Jarvis still sucked. Deebo is our best outside LB right now and that's not good. We get zero pass rush and a good QB can pick us apart as Wentz did. Wentz did a great job finding his open receivers and then we didn't/couldn't tackle them.

Now, if Wheaton catches the easy TD pass on the first drive, we are playing with a lead and the entire game would have been different.

RollRed

Reaction score
As long as we play a bad QB, have bad weather to limit the opposing team's offense, or score 24+ points, we should be fine!

But it's very clear this defense can't " win " games when the offense and special teams have bad days. With three games of video on the defenses, OC's are going to have their pick of mis matches, and when you
have too much time to pass.....well I think you know what is most likely to happen.

If the defense can't figure out a way to get more pressure on the quarterback than they did yesterday, most teams are gonna have success throwing the ball. I don't care how good your secondary is, with the rules the way they are, pressure on the QB is the only way to slow down the passing game.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
But coach... Chickallo saw the field... And had as many tackles as or left tackle did???? I dont understand... Wasnt he great?

Chickillo had just 18 snaps. I'd like to see more, but maybe he was mostly camp hype. I can admit it if that's the case. Moats had 46 snaps and Jones had 45 snaps.

And speaking of tackles Davis was spun around three times on long score. I told you he had tackling issues, but since he didn't make contact, I'm not sure who the stat guy calls it a missed tackle :)

Last edited:

Steelerfan

Reaction score
The D played well overall in weeks 1 and 2. No real complaints there other than better tackling and Jarvis sucks. Game three, the entire D sucked but we also had 5 different guys injured at various times with some coming back in to play injured (Shazier, Timmons, etc.) We still had poor tackling and Jarvis still sucked. Deebo is our best outside LB right now and that's not good. We get zero pass rush and a good QB can pick us apart as Wentz did. Wentz did a great job finding his open receivers and then we didn't/couldn't tackle them.

Now, if Wheaton catches the easy TD pass on the first drive, we are playing with a lead and the entire game would have been different.

You forgot to mention that Jarvis still sucks. :)

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Next week game will tell the story for the coaches because KC offense is very similar to Philly's if not the same

Wentz can go deep. He's making things happen. Smith is mostly dink and dunk. Either way with no pass rush, the defense will be hung out to dry. I expect 2-2 unless the offense can score 26 or more.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Chickillo had just 18 snaps. I'd like to see more, but maybe he was mostly camp hype. I can admit it if that's the case. Moats had 46 snaps and Jones had 45 snaps.

And speaking of tackles Davis was spun around three times on long score.

Sproles has done that to veterans but it was still sad. But it did give me an appreciation of Ben's tackle against the Colts

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Wentz can go deep. He's making things happen. Smith is mostly dink and dunk. Either way with no pass rush, the defense will be hung out to dry. I expect 2-2 unless the offense can score 26 or more.

Yes he can but the misdirection and screens are all the same to go along with our Achilles heel a good TE..

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And we all knew that the offense would have to be prolific and one of the best for us to be what we wanted to be this year

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Quote Originally Posted by ark steel View Post
The one thing you need to know is the score. If the Defense had played lights out and only allowed 7 points, the score would have been 7-3 and a loss. 7-3, 37-3 makes no difference to me.

jsinohio;284831]Very good point. I'm so busy bashing the D (not that it isn't deserved) I tend to forget this extremely valid, glaringly obvious fact.

And if the special teams did not allow a blocked FG, its 7-6 and we can think differently and possibly win. The Eagles had the ball for 34:56 minutes of the game. D could not stop them.

FordFairLane

Reaction score
What went wrong from someone who actually watched the game.

1st- Momentum. That dropped TD from Wheaton (three total drops if memory serves) was a 10 point swing considering we had the FG blocked. Several other drives were marred with penalties, sacks, and other momentum killers.

2nd- D. Williams legs are tired. His 33 year old body and NFL leading touches (coming into the game not sure if that is true now) caught up with him. What this did is lead to us not having 3rd and shorts or the ability to go deep on second and short. I have noticed the first two games if D. Williams gets 7 or so yards the next play more often than normal Ben will at least look for a deeper pass. Not always there so he does check down a lot but I see his first read is down the field. If D. Williams gets 3 and then 3 it still leaves us with a third and 4 and an easier third down play. This was not the case yesterday as we had a lot of third and longs.

3rd- Injury bug. We were so banged up at LB that we had all back ups in at one point or another. Golden was out right away and that forced Davis to play the majority of the snaps and that was very bad for us. On top of that when Harrison and Shazier came back they were definitely hobbled. I applaud them both for the effort but not sure it was helpful to have them out there.

4th- Wentz looks good. Two plays stick out in my head. The one where he just shifted a little to avoid the Hargrave sack and the one where he had hobbled Shazier commit to his scramble just to dump it to Sproles for the TD. Those were two very veteran like moves.

5th- O-line was beaten like a rented mule. Villanueva and James on the same side and still a sack... Holding all over the place... getting push up the middle all day... UGLY

6th- Refs. I don't ever blame the refs for the loss otherwise they might be up higher but I wanted to note their officiating at best was piss poor. Eagles got away with a lot of holding, grabbing, and then had a few big blown calls go their way. One was a phantom grab by William Gay on a perfectly executed pass breakup. The other was a picked up flag that should have been a hold but instead allowed a huge play for the Eagles. This leads back to the first reason momentum which kept building and every time the Steelers were about to get something going the refs either squashed it or gave more to the Eagles.

7th- Tomlin and Co and their non-existent half time adjustments we have all come to love. We were still in that game at the half but the better coach adjusted to what he saw while our coach seemed to rely on the same failed game plan that had our *** handed to us in the first half. I put this down low because this could be stated almost every loss so no need to beat the dead horse.

Last edited:

steelhurt

Reaction score
Bottom line is they got their ***** kicked by a team that wanted it more and played hard for 60 minutes. I'm not ready to throw any ******* towel in yet by no means. For the fair weather guys, go ahead and do what you do and jump the **** off the ship. I'm hanging on and we'll see you back in January when you're back rooting for the team in the playoffs. Geeeez! Its one game and a crappy loss but this team is too talented and will bounce back. Relax!

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
This defense can not be fixed anytime soon:

1 ) The Eagles had 426 yards on our defense and based on the score I get the feeling they could have easily had 500+ yards of offense if the game was closer.

2 ) The pass rush stinks like a Wh@ore house at low tide. No sacks. No pressure.

3 ) The DB's still can't make plays on the ball. Just one pass defended in the entire game. Wentz, a rookie completed 74.2% of his passes.

4 ) Shazier's jersey should read handle with care, and without him, we lose our coverage ability on Running Backs, running QB's and Tight Ends.

6 ) Missed tackles remain a big issue. Tackling is football 101.

7 ) The Run defense wasn't very good tonight. If Hargrave can't beat his man the coaches need to play McCullers a bit more as he's the better run defender / traditional type of nose tackle.

Can the defense be fixed? I don't see it anytime soon. We played a Cousins on one his worst days, and the Bengals game was in the rain, limiting their offense. Pinning your hopes on Dupree, who hit the rookie wall and will be coming off an injury is more hope than a plan. Harrison is too old and has lost quickness over his very long tenure in the NFL. Jones adds little as a pass rusher. Chikillo in a limited amount of snaps hasn't done much either, and Hargrave seems like he's not physical enough to win the battles vs 1st string OL players. Moats makes a good play once every few games, but noth much more than that. The pass rush is effed. As for the coverage units, I do think Burns, Davis, and Gilbert will get better in time, but until then its baptism via fire, and they might have confidence issues.

Consider yourself lucky for not watching that clusterfuck

ark steel

Reaction score

HERE WE GO STEELERS!!!

The roughing the passer call against us (Timmons, I think?) was my very very favoritest. Maybe of all time.

ark steel

Reaction score
And if the special teams did not allow a blocked FG, its 7-6 and we can think differently and possibly win. The Eagles had the ball for 34:56 minutes of the game. D could not stop them.

One blocked FG did not change the game. Offense was horrid.

madinsomniac

Reaction score
Wheaton drops really impacted that game... all three were in critical situations and allowed the eagles to play more agressively than you like early in the game.

The oline and Dline getting handled didnt help either... Villenueva is ok... but games like this remind you there is a large room for improvement there... even decastro looked bad.

The young wrs alltogether screwed up a lot of routes... you saw Coates stand still and not even run one a couple times looking confused. James still doesnt have the chemistry with Ben, bocking ability or ability to break one on one tackles Miller did. definately a large downgrade