• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Coach did not watch the game, but knows what went wrong. Read all about it.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
This defense can not be fixed anytime soon:

1 ) The Eagles had 426 yards on our defense and based on the score I get the feeling they could have easily had 500+ yards of offense if the game was closer.

2 ) The pass rush stinks like a Wh@ore house at low tide. No sacks. No pressure.

3 ) The DB's still can't make plays on the ball. Just one pass defended in the entire game. Wentz, a rookie completed 74.2% of his passes.

4 ) Shazier's jersey should read handle with care, and without him, we lose our coverage ability on Running Backs, running QB's and Tight Ends.

6 ) Missed tackles remain a big issue. Tackling is football 101.

7 ) The Run defense wasn't very good tonight. If Hargrave can't beat his man the coaches need to play McCullers a bit more as he's the better run defender / traditional type of nose tackle.

Can the defense be fixed? I don't see it anytime soon. We played a Cousins on one his worst days, and the Bengals game was in the rain, limiting their offense. Pinning your hopes on Dupree, who hit the rookie wall and will be coming off an injury is more hope than a plan. Harrison is too old and has lost quickness over his very long tenure in the NFL. Jones adds little as a pass rusher. Chikillo in a limited amount of snaps hasn't done much either, and Hargrave seems like he's not physical enough to win the battles vs 1st string OL players. Moats makes a good play once every few games, but noth much more than that. The pass rush is effed. As for the coverage units, I do think Burns, Davis, and Gilbert will get better in time, but until then its baptism via fire, and they might have confidence issues.

Last edited:

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Oh Dear Lord the season and our lives are ******* OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Oh Dear Lord the season and our lives are ******* OVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As long as we play a bad QB, have bad weather to limit the opposing team's offense, or score 24+ points, we should be fine!

But it's very clear this defense can't " win " games when the offense and special teams have bad days. With three games of video on the defenses, OC's are going to have their pick of mis matches, and when you have too much time to pass.....well I think you know what is most likely to happen.

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
as long as we play bad qb, have bad weather, or score 24+ points, we should be fine. But it's very clear this defense can't " win " games when the offense and special teams have bad days. With three games of video on the defenses, oc's are going to have their pick of mis matches, and when you have too much time to pass.....well i think you know what is most likely to happen.

until you watch the game your ******* opinions mean even less than they normally do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Meh same thing was said last year too.

Last year Harrison had something left in the tank and the pass rush was MUCH better. Last year the D was making far more impactful plays. Last year we had Bryant to break the other teams back with big plays.

This year Harrison has become too old to rush the passer, Bryant suspended for the year. We have zero pass rush, and are forced to play 2 rookies DB's in our nickel and dime.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
until you watch the game your ******* opinions mean even less than they normally do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tell me sport, what did I write that was not true?

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score
OP did not see game. OP take is invalid.

xjx

Reaction score
Nobody in our secondary is willing to tackle. They take bad angles and get turned around.

LBs did very little yesterday. Jarvis is still a no show.

Our defense really has given up a lot of yardage. This is reason for concern.

Yesterday our offensive line was used and abused. What happened to the protection?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
A team can't have growing pains?? We all knew the defense was a work in progress. We are depending on young guys in key spots. And sometimes you get your *** kicked. Now it's how you respond

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
it starts with your thread title.......

Hey sport, 38 NFL players have more sacks than our entire team. Please do tell me how you think the defense can be fixed. I'd love to read it. It will take reverse murphy's law.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Hey sport, 38 NFL players have more sacks than our entire team. Please do tell me how you think the defense can be fixed. I'd love to read it. It will take reverse murphy's law.

So if you consider the season over do us all a favor and log off and don't post anymore til the draft.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
Nobody in our secondary is willing to tackle. They take bad angles and get turned around.

LBs did very little yesterday. Jarvis is still a no show.

Our defense really has given up a lot of yardage. This is reason for concern.

Yesterday our offensive line was used and abused. What happened to the protection?

Concern, yes. But again **** happens.

Our High School team lost their first game 38-7 against a lower division school. I made the mistake of saying they would be lucky to win 2 games, they since have won 4 straight against some of the biggest toughest schools in our conference. You can't make snap judgements because of one game either way. We will be a totally different team by the end of the season for better or worse.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So if you consider the season over do us all a favor and log off and don't post anymore til the draft.

I consider this a 9-7 to 10-6 type of team thanks to the offense that will once again fail in the playoffs when it counts due to a poor pass rush and bad DB's. As always you can skip my posts, but we know that's is unlikely.

Hope itself is not a strategy. Drafting china dolls, and pass rushers that have not worked out combined with making mistakes at DB for years is the defense the Steelers have. We need to two new OLB's, and the young DB's to learn. That will take time... It would be nice if Golson was healthy, and Bill Gay's play needs to stay good, otherwise the entire DB's will have domino effect as the next man is up far below in ability and experience.

Last edited:

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
I consider this a 9-7 to 10-6 type of team thanks to the offense that will once again fail in the playoffs when it counts due to a poor pass rush and bad DB's. As always you can skip my posts, but we know that's is unlikely.

Hope itself is not a strategy. Drafting china dolls, and pass rushers that have not worked out combined with making mistakes at DB for years is the defense the Steelers have. We need to new OLB, and the young DB's to learn. That will take time... It would be nice if Golson was healthy, and Bill Gay's play needs to stay good, otherwise the entire DB's will have domino effect as the next man is up far below in ability and experience.

Blah blah blah..you didn't see the game..so keep your opinions to yourself. Let people who actually suffered thru that **** show discuss the game. You didn't earn the right..like I said if you consider the season over log off and see you in May. Let the rest of us who actually watch games talk Steelers football.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
And do us all a favor don't make the game day thread ANYMORE

Elfiero

Banned
Reaction score
The Steelers had a qb named.....wait for it......Dick Shiner.
Yes, to the next obvious question....he played in 69.

ark steel

Reaction score
The one thing you need to know is the score. If the Defense had played lights out and only allowed 7 points, the score would have been 7-3 and a loss. 7-3, 37-3 makes no difference to me.

There was plenty of blame to go around for the loss. However, think of this. The ****** Timmons was out, Shaz wasn't 100%. Two leaders on the D not in the game or not at full potential. DB's missed tackles. More concerning to me than that is why the DB's were having to make that many tackle attempts. DL was not imposing their will on anyone for a lot of the game. You did miss Chick had a big QB hit, so you may want to watch for that.

Offense was off the whole game. DWill was leading the NFL in rushing through the first two weeks. He was shut down. OL not taking care of their assignments. At one point, noticed Foster was out and Finney was in. Don't know what/when that happened. OL didn't do their jobs. Ben was off. Overthrew a 6'7" wide open Jesse James. Several passes should have been intercepted. Even off with Brown, times. I don't know if the D was all up in his head, but it was a bad game for Ben. 6 or 7 straight incompletions. Several drops (notable was a TD by Wheaton) by WR's, too.

Just about everything that could go wrong, did.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Blah blah blah..you didn't see the game..so keep your opinions to yourself. Let people who actually suffered thru that **** show discuss the game. You didn't earn the right..like I said if you consider the season over log off and see you in May. Let the rest of us who actually watch games talk Steelers football.

Oh I see and watch plenty including some things you don't understand. Next time, maybe I'll just quote a few others from the game thread in my post and see if you can deal with it :)

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Oh I see and watch plenty including some things you don't understand. Next time, maybe I'll just quote a few others from the game thread in my post and see if you can deal with it :)

But you didn t see yesterday so STFU