• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Canada Out. Pickett in.

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
We’re 3-0 if Ben is still the QB
False.
Tomlin, Canada, and our O and D line deficiencies are still here.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. This will be exposure year. If anything, I hope this year leads to someone with Rooney stitched on his bathrobe to open his damned eyes and force some changes.
I wouldn't bank on it. What you will see is a OC change, maybe a QB change. Other than that ...

fedderone

A Legend In My Spare Time
Contributor
Reaction score
While we're all depressed, dreaming and hypothesizing, let me interject some hard facts that we must learn to deal with.

1) Mike Tomlin will be the coach until Mike Tomlin decides he wants to spend more time with his family.
2) Mike Tomlin is not a good COACH. He's a great human being. But his football acumen is amongst the worst in the league.
3) Ben Roethlisberger is gone. He's retired. He's not coming back.
4) The Ben Roethlisberger that helped win us 2 more SBs was gone a few years ago. His arm is shot. He couldn't throw downfield anymore. It was easy to scheme against him.
5) It's also easy to scheme against Canada because he's running a predictable offense that's all flash and no substance.
6) BOTH our O line and D lines are garbage, sans Cam. And Cam is REALLY long in the tooth. And since he's been shouldering the load these last few years, he's starting to wear out quicker. His age is finally showing. Great lines make average skill positions look All-Pro. But as you can see, substandard lines bring everyone else down with them.
7) We cannot run the ball, and we cannot stop the run. This is why we will be easy wins for teams this year.
8) Kenny Pickett is not the answer to our woes this year. If we had Mahommes, or Rodgers, or Allen it still wouldn't fix every other deficiency I mentioned above. Maybe those QBs would keep Tomlin's "Not a losing season" streak in tact, but that's about it. We're not a playoff team with or without those QBs.

THIS, what we saw these first three weeks, is Mike Tomlin's standard.
Get used to it, because it's not going anywhere anytime soon.
(Weeps into his terrible towel)

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know that injecting Pickett into the offense would make any difference. He and Trubisky have a lot of similar qualities... that said, I'd make that change now. While Pickett and Trubisky are mobile, from what I saw of Mitch last night, I don't want him to start again. I think his career may be that of a backup. Nothing wrong with that. Dan Orlovsky made a lot of money as a career backup.

While Mitch didn't throw all of his passes off his back foot, he did throw a good number of them that way. Which is asking for disaster. One pass that Mitch threw to Muth, I think it took 10 minutes to get downfield. Mitch doesn't throw with a lot of velocity, and I'd be led to believe that hinders his confidence and success, which also hinders his confidence.

The roll-outs were working and I'd think they'd also work for Kenny.

This week, DJ can shut his pie hole about not getting enough looks. He dropped a few balls that should have been caught, and 98% of the time he will catch those. This is 2% week, so he can stfu.

Why did it seem the run blocking was different for Warren vs Najee?

Najee ****** up two dudes on his TD run... which was beautiful to see.

The flag thrown on Claypool for offensive PI was ridiculous. They call that, but completely forgot to tack on the extra yardage on the penalty when Cooper stepped out of bounds for 4 strides (loss of down, LOS moves back 5 yards).

Defensively, disappointed in Highsmith not turning it on until the game was decided. That could have been his signature moment, but he was invisible for most of the game. Pretty sure his jersey didnt get dirty until the 4th quarter. Tomlin, Flores and Austin have to know he's our best pass rusher for a few more weeks and to scheme to allow him to get to the QB faster and easier. Which requires one of those three to do some homework instead of creating word salad.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
According to his podcast. He’s hunting for elk in New Mexico right with Merrill Hoge so yeah, he’s not watching that garbage.
I hope he took one or two of the kids out of school so they could go too. Some of my fondest memories were of going hunting with my G grandfather, Grandfather, Dad and Uncle when I was young. Not nearly old enough to hunt, since you had to be twelve, but old enough to learn how. We used to go for two weeks at a time. Camped in a canvas wall tent that my G grandmother made. It was the best kind of childhood.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
The run defense would instantly improve simply by having a real lead once in awhile. Situational football caused by the offenses inability to move the ball and score makes a deficiency into a major issue. If teams had to play from behind it would limit that defincies impact on the game.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Whatever that means. I can't watch that ****.
It means that Coolie thinks he is better than you because he will unconditionally accept whatever **** show is presented, because he is a “real fan”.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
It means that Coolie thinks he is better than you because he will unconditionally accept whatever **** show is presented, because he is a “real fan”.
I agree with Coolie, if you stop watching just because we suck, what kind of fan are you? A Bengals fan? This is the spoiled side of the fan base. We pride ourselves on being great fans but we have had it good for a long time. If we walk away when things get tough we are no better than the Bungles or others. I am upset with the play but I won’t stop watching them.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I agree with Coolie, if you stop watching just because we suck, what kind of fan are you? A Bengals fan? This is the spoiled side of the fan base. We pride ourselves on being great fans but we have had it good for a long time. If we walk away when things get tough we are no better than the Bungles or others. I am upset with the play but I won’t stop watching them.
You definition of a “real fan” differs from others, you do you.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I dont know that injecting Pickett into the offense would make any difference. He and Trubisky have a lot of similar qualities... that said, I'd make that change now. While Pickett and Trubisky are mobile, from what I saw of Mitch last night, I don't want him to start again. I think his career may be that of a backup. Nothing wrong with that. Dan Orlovsky made a lot of money as a career backup.

While Mitch didn't throw all of his passes off his back foot, he did throw a good number of them that way. Which is asking for disaster. One pass that Mitch threw to Muth, I think it took 10 minutes to get downfield. Mitch doesn't throw with a lot of velocity, and I'd be led to believe that hinders his confidence and success, which also hinders his confidence.

The roll-outs were working and I'd think they'd also work for Kenny.

This week, DJ can shut his pie hole about not getting enough looks. He dropped a few balls that should have been caught, and 98% of the time he will catch those. This is 2% week, so he can stfu.

Why did it seem the run blocking was different for Warren vs Najee?

Najee ****** up two dudes on his TD run... which was beautiful to see.

The flag thrown on Claypool for offensive PI was ridiculous. They call that, but completely forgot to tack on the extra yardage on the penalty when Cooper stepped out of bounds for 4 strides (loss of down, LOS moves back 5 yards).

Defensively, disappointed in Highsmith not turning it on until the game was decided. That could have been his signature moment, but he was invisible for most of the game. Pretty sure his jersey didnt get dirty until the 4th quarter. Tomlin, Flores and Austin have to know he's our best pass rusher for a few more weeks and to scheme to allow him to get to the QB faster and easier. Which requires one of those three to do some homework instead of creating word salad.
Solid post. I think they just accounted for Highsmith early and often as it isn't like another Steelers pass rusher is giving anyone pause.

I think Mitch and Kenny can both scramble. Not sure anything other than that is similar. Kenny looks like he has better arm strength,vision, confidence, and I am willing to be his accuracy will show better as well. But like any rookie there will be growing pains.

But probably better than the habitual eye sight pains that Mitch provides pretty consistently.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Solid post. I think they just accounted for Highsmith early and often as it isn't like another Steelers pass rusher is giving anyone pause.

I think Mitch and Kenny can both scramble. Not sure anything other than that is similar. Kenny looks like he has better arm strength,vision, confidence, and I am willing to be his accuracy will show better as well. But like any rookie there will be growing pains.

But probably better than the habitual eye sight pains that Mitch provides pretty consistently.
Kenny in the preseason was hitting Muth in the middle of the field. Something either Canada or Mitch have an aversion to. When they were open Mitch misses them unless they are the first read when they are the first read he throws regardless if it is open. He isn’t making progressions and just totally locks on even when scrambling which he does even when he doesn’t need to. He is terrible in the pocket. Canada may be getting some grief for limitations that are Mitch’s, but he still sucks as an OC 75% of the game. Kenny seems to already be ahead of Mitch from what limited action he saw, in making his reads and progressions and Canada seemed to call better plays for him. We need to make the change. Or hell bring in Mason, at least he can stand in the pocket and find an open guy across the middle without telegraphing it every time.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Have to agree to disagree.
Your welcome to disagree but you are wrong. How would you define a fair weather fan differently? I live in the heart of fair weather fan dome here in the Natti. They abandon the team at first sign of suckage. Browns fans on the other hand are diehards who support the team regardless.

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Your welcome to disagree but you are wrong. How would you define a fair weather fan differently? I live in the heart of fair weather fan dome here in the Natti. They abandon the team at first sign of suckage. Browns fans on the other hand are diehards who support the team regardless.
See here is your problem, you think you are right and others are wrong, get over it. If you want to slobber all over the suckitude that is the current Steelers have at it. Those of us old enough to remember, we have seen these days before, and will in the future too.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
I watched the games through the 80s - I drove from Patrick AFB to near Jacksonville so I could watch them get crushed by the SB-bound Bengals. We went to Denver with Mark Malone as QB and beat Denver only to get crushed the next week by a QB we had passed on. But I always had hope that things would get better. We had a core of solid players and a Hall of Fame coach in Chuck Noll who turned around the horrible beginning of the 89 season to get to the playoffs. I no longer have that confidence and that is why I only have a passing interest in watching the games. Call me a fair weather fan if you want but I was a fan during the 80s - I paid my dues.

xjx

Reaction score
These are very gloomy days as a steelers fan. It's like the 80s all over again. Oh, I'll watch. I'll b!tch. I'll complain. That's what fans do. But I want a competent team. Not a Tomlin slop team. I said it before, I'll say it again....Tomlin is a modern day Jeff Fisher. A coach everyone likes....but he is only average at best.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
See here is your problem, you think you are right and others are wrong, get over it. If you want to slobber all over the suckitude that is the current Steelers have at it. Those of us old enough to remember, we have seen these days before, and will in the future too.
This isn't an opinion argument where there is no right or wrong, this is simply the definition of fair weather fan. By definition those who stop watching because we suck or even
start to suck are fair weather. Not my opinion. Now the next step would be to bandwagon but that is a whole different level.

1663963782609.png

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
real fans have the hypocycloids inked on their nutsack

if you aint got that, you aint a real fan.

no, i will not send pics of mine.

SteelerInLebanon

Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone has turned off a game or two over the years. It happens. Quit trying to be a "real fan" expert.
I can't remember the last time I turned off Steelers game. The original statement Coolie responded too was a very fair weather fan type statement. I am simply agreeing with him. M-T is trying to argue what a fair weather fan is. Stopping watching your team when they suck is the definition. You don't have to like or accept the suckage but you continue to support the team regardless. I get turning a game off occasionally but that isn't what the statement made originally Coolie responded to implied.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
If you got that you have a high tolerance for pain or were **** faced. No we don't want to see that although Coolie might.
Who do you think was the first to send a PM?!

skline00

Reaction score
If you think it was bad last night, stay tuned. The upcoming schedule could make watching upcoming Stiller games a horrible experience.