• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Canada Out. Pickett in.

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
If you think it was bad last night, stay tuned. The upcoming schedule could make watching upcoming Stiller games a horrible experience.
Think of it as a dose of reality. It is what most other fan bases have face at some point in the last 2 decades. We truly don't understand what it is like. It might make us apprciate the good times more. Plus we need a few more high picks.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
These are very gloomy days as a steelers fan. It's like the 80s all over again. Oh, I'll watch. I'll b!tch. I'll complain. That's what fans do. But I want a competent team. Not a Tomlin slop team. I said it before, I'll say it again....Tomlin is a modern day Jeff Fisher. A coach everyone likes....but he is only average at best.
The 80s were worse but we still had an overall winning record, made the playoffs 4 times, and were 2 - 4, including an improbable victory over Denver at Denver, with Mark Malone at QB
From 2010 - 2019 we were 102 -57 -1, made the playoffs 6 times, and were 5 - 6
In the last 10 years from 2012 - 2021, we were 99 - 60- 2, made the playoffs 6 times, and were 3 - 6
Last playoff win was the 2016 season

ZonaBurgh

My Opinions Are Awesome!
Contributor
Reaction score
1985 to 1991 we were 51-61 overall with one playoff appearance.

Looks like deja vue all over again...

The Emperors last 7 years....if you too young to remember it...it wasnt much fun...
I think this could be turned around fairly quickly, not this year though. Canada needs to be gone and whoever replaces him has to have Cool Shades out of his way.
Hell, bring back Whiz and Munch, back up the Brinks truck and make it so.

6Rings

Reaction score
It means that Coolie thinks he is better than you because he will unconditionally accept whatever **** show is presented, because he is a “real fan”.
Oh...... ok.....

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone has turned off a game or two over the years. It happens. Quit trying to be a "real fan" expert.
I won't label them as fair weather. Everyone goes by the beat of their own drum.

As far as turning off a game, I never have.

steelreeling

Reaction score
Kenny in the preseason was hitting Muth in the middle of the field. Something either Canada or Mitch have an aversion to. When they were open Mitch misses them unless they are the first read when they are the first read he throws regardless if it is open. He isn’t making progressions and just totally locks on even when scrambling which he does even when he doesn’t need to. He is terrible in the pocket. Canada may be getting some grief for limitations that are Mitch’s, but he still sucks as an OC 75% of the game. Kenny seems to already be ahead of Mitch from what limited action he saw, in making his reads and progressions and Canada seemed to call better plays for him. We need to make the change. Or hell bring in Mason, at least he can stand in the pocket and find an open guy across the middle without telegraphing it every time.
Canada will not call anything in the middle of the field. It's all the outside passing game.

No one told him, or he cannot evaluate for himself, that our receivers cannot toast corners on the outside? Opponents, game-in and game-out, bust off so so much disrespect on cover cushion from the start. Canada doesn't notice both corners are within 1 yard of our wideouts ~80% of the time?!@! JFC.

Canada calls f*cking motion on every single goddamned play. Every one. And the defenders on the other side don't move an inch!
Ya cannot understand that they're not scared at all?! JFC. We're not foolin anyone out there. Let alone slowing them down.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
I think this could be turned around fairly quickly, not this year though. Canada needs to be gone and whoever replaces him has to have Cool Shades out of his way.

Not sure if Whiz would come back. He always seemed a bit salty about not getting the head job in 2007.

Stewey

Reaction score
The 80s were worse but we still had an overall winning record, made the playoffs 4 times, and were 2 - 4, including an improbable victory over Denver at Denver, with Mark Malone at QB
From 2010 - 2019 we were 102 -57 -1, made the playoffs 6 times, and were 5 - 6
In the last 10 years from 2012 - 2021, we were 99 - 60- 2, made the playoffs 6 times, and were 3 - 6
Last playoff win was the 2016 season

Yet we performed in the 80's better than any in decade the Bungles and the Clowns did since 1990.
Those shitshows wished they could have been as good as the Steelers of the 80's over the last three decades.

Steelz

Reaction score
Honestly if you watch the All-22 tape included with the NFL pass, you'll see Mitch is the problem, not the play calling.. Mitch missed a TON of open WRs Thursday.. if Pickens didn't bail him out with that catch Steeler Nation would've called for his head missing a Wide Open Claypool in the middle of that play. I'd definitely say Mitch is more of the problem than anything if you watch the tape.

Stewey

Reaction score
This isn't an opinion argument where there is no right or wrong, this is simply the definition of fair weather fan. By definition those who stop watching because we suck or even
start to suck are fair weather. Not my opinion. Now the next step would be to bandwagon but that is a whole different level.

View attachment 9616

That attachment is not entirely correct. A fair-weather fan does not typically become a band wagon fan.

They are two entirely different things.

A fair-weather fan is one who has better things to with their lives than watching a bad product... yet continues to remain loyal to their team..i.e. Bungle fans.
I don't make that out as such a bad thing.

Being a bandwagon fan is criminal. They jump from team to team depending on which team has established themselves as a winner.

This topic has touched on two different scenarios as well... Not watching at all vs. turning off the TV. If anyone criticizes a fan for simply turning off the TV then they need to get a life.

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
is Pickett going to call his own plays?

I heard from y neigbor's friends sister, that her brother's boyfriend told him that not only was Kenny calling the plays but also calling his own number. He will have to throw and hand off to hiself, catch and rush himself, then play defensive line and replace TJ for most pays,...............

Just like BEN had to do and even then a lot here said it was BEN holding this team back.................

Salute the nation

BLITZ

Contributor
Reaction score
I heard from y neigbor's friends sister, that her brother's boyfriend told him that not only was Kenny calling the plays but also calling his own number. He will have to throw and hand off to hiself, catch and rush himself, then play defensive line and replace TJ for most pays,...............

Just like BEN had to do and even then a lot here said it was BEN holding this team back.................

Salute the nation
I blame Ben

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I won't label them as fair weather. Everyone goes by the beat of their own drum.

As far as turning off a game, I never have.

That makes two of us, never have left early or shut off / switched channels. watch till the end.

ALSO NOTE: Never have bet / picked against them, ever.

Salute the nation

SteelerInLebanon

Steeler fanatic trying to survive modern society
Contributor
Reaction score
That attachment is not entirely correct. A fair-weather fan does not typically become a band wagon fan.

They are two entirely different things.

A fair-weather fan is one who has better things to with their lives than watching a bad product... yet continues to remain loyal to their team..i.e. Bungle fans.
I don't make that out as such a bad thing.

Being a bandwagon fan is criminal. They jump from team to team depending on which team has established themselves as a winner.

This topic has touched on two different scenarios as well... Not watching at all vs. turning off the TV. If anyone criticizes a fan for simply turning off the TV then they need to get a life.
Well many many bungles fans have their "second" team they follow when the Bungles are bad. Yes they are somewhat different things but not mutually exclusive. And yes I agree turning it off is different than just not watching. The implication was not watching not just turning it off in disgust. I am a glutton for punishment and watch until the end.

Drink IRON City

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I know everyone is on their own journey and as a fan they are entitled to their journey.

I know where and what I do as a Fan-atic and do give much thought as to what other fans do other if they root for the STEELERS.

Salute the nation

steelreeling

Reaction score
Honestly if you watch the All-22 tape included with the NFL pass, you'll see Mitch is the problem, not the play calling.. Mitch missed a TON of open WRs Thursday.. if Pickens didn't bail him out with that catch Steeler Nation would've called for his head missing a Wide Open Claypool in the middle of that play. I'd definitely say Mitch is more of the problem than anything if you watch the tape.
i disagree. And yes i have - at times - seen "open" receivers.

In the NFL, you cannot wait until the receiver passes the defender and comes open. By that time, you're either 1. strip sacked or 2. throwing the ball into a target which has a DB 2 steps already breaking on it. And downhill at that. NOTHING good comes from that ****.Thus i think it's counterproductive to watch the tape and evaluate QBs with what momentarily appears at the end of plays.

So what i see is MT having to chuck the ball with DBs hanging close by on the outside getting a free pass with the sideline covering our WR on the boundary. So any other routes that do touch the middle or cross are flanked by 3-4 defenders. MT thus is having to "perfectly place" the outside ball since the safeties are not committed and he doesn't know who is gonna jump any of the other routes - especially since the coverage is so tight given the DBs do not respect the Steelers' speed.

The Steelers have Najee, they have Muth and now they have Pickens. What other OCoordinator wouldnt cream to have that kind of talent?

This is untenable.

Badcat

Zero Foxtrot Golf
Reaction score
i disagree. And yes i have - at times - seen "open" receivers.

In the NFL, you cannot wait until the receiver passes the defender and comes open. By that time, you're either 1. strip sacked or 2. throwing the ball into a target which has a DB 2 steps already breaking on it. And downhill at that. NOTHING good comes from that ****.Thus i think it's counterproductive to watch the tape and evaluate QBs with what momentarily appears at the end of plays.

So what i see is MT having to chuck the ball with DBs hanging close by on the outside getting a free pass with the sideline covering our WR on the boundary. So any other routes that do touch the middle or cross are flanked by 3-4 defenders. MT thus is having to "perfectly place" the outside ball since the safeties are not committed and he doesn't know who is gonna jump any of the other routes - especially since the coverage is so tight given the DBs do not respect the Steelers' speed.

The Steelers have Najee, they have Muth and now they have Pickens. What other OCoordinator wouldnt cream to have that kind of talent?

This is untenable.
Agreed, and coupled with the fact that Tomlin/Canada isn't allowing those middle field throws means that Mitch's progressions aren't allowing him to see the open Wide receivers.

The problem isn't necessarily all Mitch, it's the Coaching/Scheme that is the problem.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Couple years ago we laughed when the Ratbirds fired their OC in the middle of the season and they went on to win the Super Bowl that season.

Sarge

Contributor
Reaction score
The Steelers remind me of that episode of Spongebob where he, Squidward and Patrick get lost in the kelp forest. When confronted with what to do, they ask the magic consh shell for advice. The magic conch shell tells them to do nothing. I suspect Mike Tomlin has a magic conch shell.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
309008340_10221573027860601_2573819631700445056_n.jpg

GI Steeler

Reaction score
is Pickett going to call his own plays?
I dont buy the "it's all Canada's fault" stuff. Canada called ths plays in the pre-season. He is calling the plays where you see WRs down field. We don't throw down field enough under Canada because big Ben was shot and trubisky stinks