• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Blast from the Past

RollRed

Reaction score
I no there's a lot of complaining that goes on that businesses are over regulated which drives the costs up and hinders economic growth and so on and so on... not that there isn't some truth to that. But have any of you that gripe so much about these things ever stopped to consider what the consequences would be if we didn't have an EPA, or OSHA, or an FDA? I've seen the images from China where the people walk around with respirators on... Where the pollution is so thick you can't see the tops of the buildings from street level. The water in the rivers of many of the countries with "business friendly" governments is undrinkable. Again the air so polluted the people have to wear protective masks to breathe through. I've worked construction for years and over the past 10 I've spoken with many Mexican workers on different jobs and have heard many first hand accounts of how unbelievably unsafe job sites in Mexico are.... But the fact is that when employers have no gov't. angency to fear when they force their workers to work in very unsafe conditions that's exactly what they'll do. Does the gov't. get ridiculous sometimes with many of their regulations... absolutely. But let's not forget how these agencies came into existence in the first place...irresponsible factory owners and contractors created the environment for these agencies to be created in the first place by either by polluting the air and water, forcing workers to work in ridiculously unsafe conditions, or sometimes selling products that were a danger to the consumer.

ark steel

Reaction score
I no there's a lot of complaining that goes on that businesses are over regulated which drives the costs up and hinders economic growth and so on and so on... not that there isn't some truth to that. But have any of you that gripe so much about these things ever stopped to consider what the consequences would be if we didn't have an EPA, or OSHA, or an FDA? I've seen the images from China where the people walk around with respirators on... Where the pollution is so thick you can't see the tops of the buildings from street level. The water in the rivers of many of the countries with "business friendly" governments is undrinkable. Again the air so polluted the people have to wear protective masks to breathe through. I've worked construction for years and over the past 10 I've spoken with many Mexican workers on different jobs and have heard many first hand accounts of how unbelievably unsafe job sites in Mexico are.... But the fact is that when employers have no gov't. angency to fear when they force their workers to work in very unsafe conditions that's exactly what they'll do. Does the gov't. get ridiculous sometimes with many of their regulations... absolutely. But let's not forget how these agencies came into existence in the first place...irresponsible factory owners and contractors created the environment for these agencies to be created in the first place by either by polluting the air and water, forcing workers to work in ridiculously unsafe conditions, or sometimes selling products that were a danger to the consumer.

I'm sure you will find very few of us believe there should be no legislation. The fact is that there is way to much regulation, but that, really , isn't the worst of it. The worst of it is that these massive regulations are, often , the result of an unelected beaurocrats.

Anyway, you might have good points. Hard to read without the use of the enter key occasionally....

SteelChip

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm sure you will find very few of us believe there should be no legislation. The fact is that there is way to much regulation, but that, really , isn't the worst of it. The worst of it is that these massive regulations are, often , the result of an unelected bureaucrats.

Stossel has had a couple shows on regulations, when you see the amount of regs they add every year, it get's mind boggling.

Confluence

Contributor
Reaction score
If they build Keystone, Canadian oil will go to China. They need their oil near ports so it can be shipped to other locations. Right now they
can only get it to the United States.

You've got it *** backwards. Without Keystone, Canadian oil will go east to be refined in Montreal, Moncton or Halifax. Or it will go west to Kitimat for direct shipping to Asia.

With Keystone Canadian oil goes to Houston --- last I checked, that was in Texas, not Hunan.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
I'd be in favor of banning imports from any country that has less pollution and worker protection regulations than we do. Politicians of both parties are too addicted to borrowing money from China to do that though, Bomma's promise to "not ring things up on a credit card from the Bank Of China" notwithstanding.

And don't forget, Bomma's Secretary Of Energy thinks that we need to bring our gas prices into line with the $8 a gallon they pay in Europe.

DBS1970

I hate you all and I blame Ark for that.
Contributor
Reaction score

Channeling DR Evil I'm gonna say "Riiiiiight". You remember the Deep Water Horizon drilling rig that blowed up out in the Gulf Of Mexico a few years ago? The State of Louisiana wanted it shut down. When it blower up and leaked all that oil it was operating on a wavier from the Feds. The local governments and the market do a much better job of regulating than the national government does. Closer to the people they are accountable to and all that.