• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben not commiting to 2017

Ben's powerplay. A what if. Take the poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Blitzburgh

Reaction score
Quality of life after football not for the dumb speculation reasons stated in this thread

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Steeler Nation mobile app

You meant to say speculative reasons, but the point you're tying to make is somewhat correct. He agrees with many of the dumb speculative reasons stated in this thread and he's questioning whether it's worth it any longer risking his quality of life after football for.

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I think a lot of it is frustration, but why put your body on the line when a team cant gameplan and at least give some sort of effort. I think Rodgers and James were pretty dependable and Williams even caught a pass, but the play calling in crunch time was horrible. 3rd and 1 chance to get back in the game you throw a low percentage bomb to an unreliable receiver. 4th and goal you throw a low percentage fade to another unreliable receiver. I think that was the one where we could not score from the half yard line originally. The defense does not even try and is totally lost in space. Plus Ben has had many injuries and a few head injuries so I think he is honestly considering leaving the game. He has a wife / kids now football takes a backseat. Ben did say that he and Haley need to call better plays in the redzone so that was kinda a shot at Haley. I am also sure he is not too happy with Brown. NE players said the video game them some extra edge for the game which they did not need. We can say we lost due to Bell, but that is BS. NE was basically one dimensional with way less talent and destroyed us. Ben like a lot of people on this board are probably tired of seeing the same old BS game in and game out. We did have a good run, but the competition was not very good on our winning streak.

This sums it up. Getting beat by a team with a bunch of ******* nobodies would burn my ***. All of the diva **** with offensive players would get old as well. The Steelers have so much talent on both sides of the ball yet look sometimes like they've never played a ******* football game before. Those guys should be living in the offseason program 24/7.... maybe go watch some pop warner and learn how to tackle again.

MTC

Giga Chad
Contributor
Reaction score
13 nfl seasons
2x SB champ
15-1 rookie record.

If he retires, I'd actually be ok with it. Ben's given all he could and took a beating from time to time. If it's cause of the "diva" attitude in the locker room -- shame, as the guys who actually ball out for their teammates deserve a better atmosphere. If it's just from lack of desire and the need to move on from football. I say thank you for the fun times Ben and enjoy life. As much as I want a 7th ring, maybe it comes under a new QB. The talent for the next guy is there with the weopons. If it's Landry. Get the kid some reps. My complaint with Landry is he gets jittery. He can throw a good ball from time to time

SteveA

Reaction score
Who hasn't wondered if it was time to hang em up in any profession.....I did the same this morning.....................And my Sales team has been under performing for 6 months & I'm the Manager..................

Reactions: MTC

6Rings

Reaction score
Shake things up. I don't mind a loss, but to look like stooges is sickening

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben doesn't come out to the media and make statements without any thought behind them. He's already talked about practices being too tough, asked Tomlin to demand more urgency, questioned if the young guys were ready for the moment and now this. He says things with a purpose in mind. His career is getting near the end and if he is going to keep playing, his team (him included) needs to be a well-oiled machine to get past the Patriots.

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
Ben doesn't come out to the media and make statements without any thought behind them. He's already talked about practices being too tough, asked Tomlin to demand more urgency, questioned if the young guys were ready for the moment and now this. He says things with a purpose in mind. His career is getting near the end and if he is going to keep playing, his team (him included) needs to be a well-oiled machine to get past the Patriots.
Don't forget he went to Tomlin earlier in the season saying he thinks the younger guys are lacking focus.

Skott

Contributor
Reaction score
I keep hearing Tomlin say this and that, but then the same players do the same stupid ****. My opinion is he doesn't have control of his lockeroom, and when the game begins that shows on the field.

I bet Ben would love to have a guy like Hogan to throw the bal to. No dancing no diva ****. He's used Jesse James a lot lately. No diva dance... Just tough catches where he fights for every yard.

chipped ham

Reaction score
I keep hearing Tomlin say this and that, but then the same players do the same stupid ****. My opinion is he doesn't have control of his lockeroom, and when the game begins that shows on the field.

I bet Ben would love to have a guy like Hogan to throw the bal to. No dancing no diva ****. He's used Jesse James a lot lately. No diva dance... Just tough catches where he fights for every yard.

Well, injuries and suspensions decimated our receiving corps this year. Rogers is a slot guy, not a legit number two, Hamilton is a PS guy nothing more than a 4-5, and the same goes for DHB. I keep hearing and reading that this Steelers team was "more talented" than the pats* and the truth is that the roster that was up in foxboro on Sunday night was not a superior roster. If guys like Bryant, Wheaton, Heyward were on the field, well hell yes. But they weren't and our receivers are a bunch of scrubs after brown. When Bryant ****** up, hell even when Wheaton went down, our biggest weakness became a big liability and it was going to catch up sooner or later. Guys like Rogers Hamilton DHB JJ strike fear into no defense and a well coached(cheating) team can make these guys look like exactly what they are.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Just watching a talk show here on tv. Pardon the Interruption with Mike & Tony. Number one on their discussion is Ben's retirement subject. Then one guy says "what about the money aspect " " if he walks away ,he has to write a check for 18 million dollars "
Now do they mean that's what he would owe the team in signing bonus,or that's what he would be making the following season?

Then one guy says "there is a small little statistic last 10 playoff games Ben is 5-5 with with 10 td's ----11int."

Yes,I know it's a team game and not all Ben's fault. But man,that stat does suck.

SteelerFan448

Forefather
Reaction score

A couple of quotes from a recent Mike Freeman article: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...human-in-nfl-coaching-world-that-often-is-not

"That locker room is a circus, and he actually does a solid job containing it," one coaching friend of Tomlin's said to Bleacher Report.

"He keeps a lid on things more than anyone knows," said an NFC coach, who is also friends with Tomlin.

xjx

Reaction score
He doesnt have to play anymore. He has plenty of money. He is in one piece. He will never run out of money. His family is set.

steelermania

Reaction score
I think this whole thing is because Ben was badly stung by the criticism over his changing the play twice inside the 10 vs KC. Down at the one foot line against NE, they ran the ball like everyone has been screaming for them to do. It didn't work. Then when people start asking why didn't they sneak it, it was more than he could take. His comments after the game could have been less a shot at Haley, than it was a middle finger to the know it alls, and second guessers in the press, and among the fanbase. Of course he may be mad because the coaches didn't publicly back him up. I doubt it would be about ABs behavior, as if that were the case, he'd have been very pleased that Tomlin basically very publicly put AB on notice after last week's nonsense.

Stainless

Contributor
Reaction score
He should at least play until he has some minor disability or a heavy morning drool. Can't leave us hanging like that.

steelermania

Reaction score

Handling the circus is more difficult than it's ever been with all of the money floating around. Perhaps the one thing that Hoodie does better than anyone is that he gets rid of players. How many times has Hoodie shipped out a star player, in a move that leaves you scratching your head. Jamie Collins in the middle of the season. They don't tolerate any disruptions. I won't knock the Steelers so much here, because no other team does this. Odell Beckham has turned the Giants into a circus, but I doubt they'd move him. Hoodie would. Chad Kelce would straighten up, or hit the road. You can't crack the whip like in the old days because the players won't take it. You have to get rid of guys. It's a fine line, because you still want guys to want to play for you. You still need talent too.

Chicoman

Reaction score
I don't think it's a bluff at all and he's not trying to get changes internally when it comes to the coaching staff by saying what he said. He's going to be 35 years old in March, Football is a brutal game and it's understandable that at his age you take time to reflect back on the year, heal up and think about your family and your future. It's what you do as you grow into a family man which is what Big Ben has become. It's not just about him it's about being there for his children, his wife and family first and that will always be his top priority from here on out the rest of his career. It's not any different than what James Harrison has said the last two years but because it's Ben and it's news they will blow this out of proportion....that's what the media does best! Make a MOUNTAIN out of a molehill.

6Rings

Reaction score
Good...maybe old Mikey T. needs some adversity..

Penguins&Steelers

Reaction score
Was reading that he would have to give back his signing bonus and add that to the next 3 years salary he would be giving up 65 million. Can anyone confirm that?

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

Fuzzy Dunlop

Reaction score
You guys are sucking canal water if you think the Rooneys are going to get rid of Tomlin, or even Haley to appease a QB. (a 35 year old one, at that) Not to mention that's it is projecting anyway, because Ben never expressed these feelings.

Zack_of_Steel

Reaction score
Ben's said a lot of **** the past few years about the culture of the team. Polamalu had some outbursts and critical things to say in his waning years. To me this is at most him trying to affect change and push them over the hump or an overblown story regarding comments any aging player might say after a long season.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
This may be a bargaining chip to get his way for something, i.e., to wake some players up, shake up a coordinator or two or simply begin his farewell season, along with Deebo. He is winding down and the season is a grind. If that locker room is truly a circus, he may just be done with the new kids and their ways. He will be 35 and his chances are shrinking fast to get to back to the SB. Everyone has to be hungry and maybe he sees the holes as we do.

steelerscotty

Contributor
Reaction score
I think this getting blown way out of proportion. Is he frustrated? I'm sure he is to a point. Is this a power play? It could be, but i am inclined to think that is not his motive. Is he a bit of a drama king? Yup, we all know that is true. Basically, when talking about coming back next year, he is saying he is at the age where he needs time to decompress, spend time with the fam, talk with the wife etc before he can say he is all in. Dude will be 35 in march. I'm sure injuries and potential injury are part of the equation as well, especially with his kids in mind. The team will need a decision before free agency starts in March. I don't think Ben will do the Farve waffle and I know the Rooneys wont put up with it if he does. I expect he will be back. This is team is real close to another championship, it would be a different story if we were a 1-15 team or something. IF he hangs 'em up, that is totally understandable. He is a two time champion and owns almost all the Steeler passing records. HOF'er no doubt.

chipped ham

Reaction score
Was reading that he would have to give back his signing bonus and add that to the next 3 years salary he would be giving up 65 million. Can anyone confirm that?

Sent from my Pixel using Steeler Nation mobile app

Yeah, I read that he'd owe the Steelers almost $19 million or something like that. Not to mention he just signed a hefty contract extension a short time ago. Pair that with the fact that when Heath retired, he was quoted as saying that he'll play until "either Mr. Rooney or God tell me I can no longer play." Considering the extension alone, though, he'd pretty much **** the Steelers over. Let's pay you a boatload of money AND have no back up plan because you wanted to keep it a secret. Yes, I get a person can change over the course of a year, but if you really felt that you were that close to retirement, I have to think that the extension would have went down a little differently.

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
I think this getting blown way out of proportion. Is he frustrated? I'm sure he is to a point. Is this a power play? It could be, but i am inclined to think that is not his motive. Is he a bit of a drama king? Yup, we all know that is true. Basically, when talking about coming back next year, he is saying he is at the age where he needs time to decompress, spend time with the fam, talk with the wife etc before he can say he is all in. Dude will be 35 in march. I'm sure injuries and potential injury are part of the equation as well, especially with his kids in mind. The team will need a decision before free agency starts in March. I don't think Ben will do the Farve waffle and I know the Rooneys wont put up with it if he does. I expect he will be back. This is team is real close to another championship, it would be a different story if we were a 1-15 team or something. IF he hangs 'em up, that is totally understandable. He is a two time champion and owns almost all the Steeler passing records. HOF'er no doubt.

the thing is, making this kind of statement, on a radio show, will get fans, talk shows, news outlets talking. "What, Ben may retire?" Smokescreen or not, it's big news and he knows this. That's why I think it's a message to wake people up, esp. in the Steeler organization. Now, it's out there and people are talking about his future and the future of the Steelers. I do expect him to come back, but not before a healthy conversation ensues with Tomlin and Colbert.