• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Ben not commiting to 2017

Ben's powerplay. A what if. Take the poll

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
He's frustrated, if you listen to the entire interview I think hes getting sick of the locker room change, to many Me, Me, Me guys I think. He's always having to baby sit Brown during games, Brown again sulking after we scored a ******* TD, grow the **** up.

I know one thing, if I'm the Rooney's and I hear this, I'm opening my ******* check book and I'm figuring out who the hell I can bring in to offer immediate help, whether it's a cover CB, a legit pass rusher, or a #2 WR. The window is closing, need to try to win now, we can't wait on rookies, nor do we have the time. I don't expect to get 3 immediate starters from the draft again.

I think Ben will be back, but this is way of saying we better make some changes.

Agree, I think Ben is frustrated because he's busting his *** and other players and coaches, mostly the defense, aren't holding up their end. I don't think Haley is his biggest problem, more like of his three best weapons one is a prima donna and the other two can't stay off the chronic and on the field. It doesn't excuse not scoring a TD against KC but against the Pats**** the defense clearly didn't know WTF.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Still think there are issues between Ben and the coaching staff. The jab he took at Haley regarding the goal line play calls, his comments regarding the physicality of practices...etc. Not to mention your #1 receiver is turning into a prima donna. After listening to Cowherd yesterday talking about "signs" instead of distractions, there are definitely signs that all is not well as an organization.

That's just Ben being Ben. When **** works it was his audible, when **** doesn't work it was Haley's call. Nothing new.

skline00

Reaction score
Ron Burgandy I agree with your comments and let me add, watching AB's entire Facebook video after the KC game I was sickened by it. My goodness, not only don't you hang your coach out to dry (even if some of the posters on this forum think he deserves it) you make a joke of Big Ben by airing his private comments about keeping a low profile and not giving the PATS any bulletin board ammo. In addition you didn't have a stellar game against KC - no touchdowns. If anything you should have had Chris Boswell brag about a record setting 6 touchdowns. Hardwork or not, AB's video and conduct are disgraceful and Sammie Coates was right with him egging him on. If Coates exerted as much effort trying to catch Big Ben's pass to him in the AFC CCG as he did horsing around with AB on that STUPID, CHILDISH livefeed we might have kept close to NE. At least made it respectable.

I think Big Ben is right. Take care of your wife and children first. He has taken a beating for this team through the years so I can't blame him for beaing a little ticked off.

On a positive note the O Line was outstanding this year and really stepped up to keep Big Ben healthy. They are a solid bunch.

Steeler fans the time has come to face facts. We need to draft an heir apparent to Big Ben and Coach Tomlin needs to stop the foolish stuff going on.

steelerscotty, good read and fair article. If they Steelers want to win a SuperBowl in the next ten years they ALL better get serious, work very hard off season and come prepared for Battle next year. Without Big Ben you do NOT have a prayer of winning.

Last edited:

FordFairLane

Reaction score
I guess how he plays through everything that he would play until his body gives out. But I guess maybe he's looking forward to retirement. Better start grooming his replacement but he better not be like Favre and keep changing his mind because the team might dump you for Aaron Rodgers...

Stewey

Reaction score
The drops resulted in 119 lost yards in that game...as Ben walked off that field I don't blame him one bit if he said "I ****** quit".

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...t-big-hidden-yardage-losses-steelers-offense/
(Don't know why the story has a pic of the Miami game, The story is about the Pats game)

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Not real sure Ben and Whisenhunt was any kind of a love affair. Lot of talk at the time that was why he was never considered for the HC job.

Sometimes you regret choices made years ago

MT~Forged

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone talks about the QB class looking like **** this year. Just remember that EVERY team passed on Brady for 6 ****** rounds. Who is to say there isn't a real gem out there this year?

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Everyone talks about the QB class looking like **** this year. Just remember that EVERY team passed on Brady for 6 ****** rounds. Who is to say there isn't a real gem out there this year?
The odds of finding a franchise QB in round 6-7 is so slim to none. For every Brady* there is a plethora of Ryan Leaf, Jamarcus Russell...etc.

Second, would you trust Tomlin and Haley to develop that qb or find a system that would make them successful?

topseed

Contributor
Reaction score
Handling the circus is more difficult than it's ever been with all of the money floating around. Perhaps the one thing that Hoodie does better than anyone is that he gets rid of players. How many times has Hoodie shipped out a star player, in a move that leaves you scratching your head. Jamie Collins in the middle of the season. They don't tolerate any disruptions. I won't knock the Steelers so much here, because no other team does this. Odell Beckham has turned the Giants into a circus, but I doubt they'd move him. Hoodie would. Chad Kelce would straighten up, or hit the road. You can't crack the whip like in the old days because the players won't take it. You have to get rid of guys. It's a fine line, because you still want guys to want to play for you. You still need talent too.

Remember when Tomlin tried to "make a statement" by cutting LeGarrette Blount in 2014 because Blount was pissed after he didn't get a single carry in a game? Which ended up screwing the team when Bell (inevitably) got hurt, and they were forced to split carries between Josh Harris and Ben Tate in the wildcard loss to the Ravens? How'd that shrewd move work out?

Yet it seems Blount's been fitting in just fine for the last 2+ years in New England with Belichick. A model citizen who had almost 1200 yards rushing and 18 touchdowns this year. Yes, 18 TDs, or twice as many as Bell scored for the Steelers.

Go figure.

On Ben, I hope he stays, but I can understand if he leaves. People thought I was nuts when I was saying 2 years ago that Ben had 2-3 good years left, and it was time to start grooming his eventual replacement. I'd start taking a good look at Jim Kelly's nephew down there in Mississippi either way.

Steelmann

Reaction score
Don't forget guys&gals. We will need a center too. Didn't Pouncey say he will go the minute Big Ben goes?

Steelmann

Reaction score
Remember when Tomlin tried to "make a statement" by cutting LeGarrette Blount in 2014 because Blount was pissed after he didn't get a single carry in a game? Which ended up screwing the team when Bell (inevitably) got hurt, and they were forced to split carries between Josh Harris and Ben Tate in the wildcard loss to the Ravens? How'd that shrewd move work out?

Yet it seems Blount's been fitting in just fine for the last 2+ years in New England with Belichick. A model citizen who had almost 1200 yards rushing and 18 touchdowns this year. Yes, 18 TDs, or twice as many as Bell scored for the Steelers.

Go figure.

On Ben, I hope he stays, but I can understand if he leaves. People thought I was nuts when I was saying 2 years ago that Ben had 2-3 good years left, and it was time to start grooming his eventual replacement. I'd start taking a good look at Jim Kelly's nephew down there in Mississippi either way.

Come on. Not that I defend Tomlin. But what was he supposed to do in the Blount situation? Didn't the guy quit on his team,walking out during a game. Tomlin would of been **** upon here if he didn't cut him.

Damned if you do,damned if you don't.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Ben will be back...

skline00

Reaction score
Ben will be back...
I hope you are correct. The big question is will the rest of the team pick it up a notch, focus on getting better AND will the coaching staff focus on it also?

You can curse NE till the cows come home but the fact remains, the system they have "do your job!" works. BTW that applies to not only players but all of the coaches.

I expect the "cheatoid" crowd will cry again about NE deflating footballs, stealing signs etc and totally ignore that they play harder, smarter and their coaching staff figures out the weaknesses of other teams, adjusts and exploits those.

Perhaps this is too much to ask of Coach Tomlin and his staff but I would rather have an attitude of improving than the likes of individuals preening for a live feed after eeking out a victory based upon field goals in a playoff game and ignoring their coach and QB.

SHAMEFUL.

Last edited:

Steelr4evr

Reaction score
I fail to buy that all of the other teams in the NFL are so stupid and the pats are that much better they make everyone look awful. I call bullshit

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
So far I find the results of this poll to be interesting.

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Don't forget guys&gals. We will need a center too. Didn't Pouncey say he will go the minute Big Ben goes?

How many celebrities said they would leave the US if Trump won the election...still waiting

black and gold apex

Reaction score
We have seen this coming, he has made numerous comments about player situations this year, that never was heard from him in years past. Players and coaching may say it all for Ben. You will see if he leaves what he brings and Tomlin doesn't.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
We have seen this coming, he has made numerous comments about player situations this year, that never was heard from him in years past. Players and coaching may say it all for Ben. You will see if he leaves what he brings and Tomlin doesn't.

Without Ben, Tomlin will quickly be hung out to dry as a mediocre coach with holes in his game. When you win, such stuff is quickly forgotten and dismissed, but when you lose people focus on the blunders.

Without Ben, we are long shots to make the playoffs, and a 6-10 to 9-7 type of team.

ExUSAF

Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe Ben is coming to the realization that he will never see another Super Bowl with Tomlin as head coach. It's almost like a dead end job unless you have a love for the game.

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Hopefully the Rooney's realize that any chance we have at winning another SB in the near term is with Ben leading the team. And, that means Bell, if signed to come back, is not the feature guy. Ben is still the No.1 guy on the team and offense should go as he goes. It was obvious the O was not ready for Ben to take back control when Bell went down against the Cheats. Give the O back to Ben and let the passing game lead the team like it did early in the season when they were lighting things up.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
Hopefully the Rooney's realize that any chance we have at winning another SB in the near term is with Ben leading the team. And, that means Bell, if signed to come back, is not the feature guy. Ben is still the No.1 guy on the team and offense should go as he goes. It was obvious the O was not ready for Ben to take back control when Bell went down against the Cheats. Give the O back to Ben and let the passing game lead the team like it did early in the season when they were lighting things up.

This is ridiculous. How can you even infer such a claim??

We won 9 straight games with Bell leading the way. Bell was the reason we were in the AFCC. Bell was the reason we overcame that stinker Ben laid in Buffallo. Why would we hand the offense back to Ben now?

Also, hasn't Ben lost every playoff game when he has thrown over 300+ yards?

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
This is ridiculous. How can you even infer such a claim??

We won 9 straight games with Bell leading the way. Why would we hand the offense back to Ben? Hasn't Ben lost every playoff game when he has thrown over 300+ yards?

What exactly did Bell do against the Patriots? How did that great 9 game winning streak help us in the AFCC? Until Bell shows that he can stay healthy I would not make him the focal point or design game plans totally around him. The fact that Tomlin and Co. cannot figure out how to have a balanced attack is just nauseating.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
What exactly did Bell do against the Patriots? How did that great 9 game winning streak help us in the AFCC? Until Bell shows that he can stay healthy I would not make him the focal point or design game plans totally around him. The fact that Tomlin and Co. cannot figure out how to have a balanced attack is just nauseating.

Dude- without that 9 game winning streak, we dont even reach the AFCC. Yea it sucks that he went down, but we aren't even discussing the playoffs if it wasn't for Bell (our team MVP btw).

Also, what does one have to do with the other? You're telling me that a successful running game is the reason why Ben has played awful on the road??

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Dude- without that 9 game winning streak, we dont even reach the AFCC. Yea it sucks that he went down, but we aren't even discussing the playoffs if it wasn't for Bell (our team MVP btw).

Also, what does one have to do with the other? You're telling me that a successful running game is the reason why Ben has played awful on the road??

No, a conservative game plan and a lame excuse about crowd noise preventing us from running the no huddle on the road is a big reason. Also, when you have no resemblance of balance between your passing and running game and wonder why a QB and WR can't just flip a switch and turn it on that is another reason that our passing game has stalled so much. Combine that with the fact that Hamilton, Ayers, and Coates might not even be in the NFL next year, Wheaton on IR, DHB missing 6 weeks with a foot injury and you wonder why our passing game as a whole failed?