• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Baseball playoff thread.....

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The Pirates simply have a subpar offense... they have the players to have a great offense, but their hitting strategy under Hurdle has always been bad... I like Hurdle. I love what they do on D and with pitchers, but the O is incredibly erratic. They do not have the ability to break down pitchers and play the percentages like they do hitters, and the result is what you see tonight more often than not

jitter77

Owes Jimmy $50
Reaction score
When polanco got hot he was swinging it early. All the sudden he seemed to stop doing that. It's not just the pirates, but alot of teams do not swing at first pitches. I do not understand it because the pitcher wants to get ahead early....

swal75

Reaction score
The offense was 4th in the NL in runs and OBP. There's really not much you can do when a 162 game season comes down to a coin flip game. The whole setup is dumb. Hopefully they take every game seriously next year cause I imagine we will need to win close to 100 to take the division.

steelermania

Reaction score
The offense was 4th in the NL in runs and OBP. There's really not much you can do when a 162 game season comes down to a coin flip game. The whole setup is dumb. Hopefully they take every game seriously next year cause I imagine we will need to win close to 100 to take the division.

Well, they won close to 100 games this year. The Bucs haven't topped 98 wins since 1909. 98 wins nearly always will win your division. In the last 6 seasons, 98 wins has been topped only twice. That's during a time when 36 division titles have been contested. It's very rare for 98 wins not to win a division. It's only happened 3 times since the year 2000, the last time in 2004. In fact, no team that has equaled the Cubs 97 wins has failed to win their division in the last 11 years. Bucs were unlucky that the Cards picked this year to win 100 games.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
It's all about the ROYAL blue now. Go KC!!!!!

Steelers1356

Reaction score
Didn't Happ pitch on Sunday? Cole is the ace on this team and he was the logical pick. He just did not have his A game tonight.

Yes, but they could've made an adjustment to the rotation. Cole is an ace, just doesn't match up as well against the Cubs power lefty hitters.

bornafan

Reaction score
My optimism was curbed when McCutchen pulled up on that first hit by Fowler to center field. Seemed like a very tentative approach from a team leader at the get-go of a sudden death game, when you would expect everyone to be the most focused and energized. Can you imagine how the vibe for the team and the fans and possibly the game would have changed if he goes and makes that play? To me, it represented that the team was uptight, which was the complete opposite of the young Cubs playing on the road.

It was a disappointing and devastating loss for a team that accomplished so much this year and was capable of even more....

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Well, they won close to 100 games this year. The Bucs haven't topped 98 wins since 1909. 98 wins nearly always will win your division. In the last 6 seasons, 98 wins has been topped only twice. That's during a time when 36 division titles have been contested. It's very rare for 98 wins not to win a division. It's only happened 3 times since the year 2000, the last time in 2004. In fact, no team that has equaled the Cubs 97 wins has failed to win their division in the last 11 years. Bucs were unlucky that the Cards picked this year to win 100 games.

Yeah, they said it was the first time since divisional play began that the top three teams in wins were all in the same division. I agree they should make it a three game series. Too bad they lost but I gotta think that whoever won will get waxed by the Cards anyway.

steelermania

Reaction score
My optimism was curbed when McCutchen pulled up on that first hit by Fowler to center field. Seemed like a very tentative approach from a team leader at the get-go of a sudden death game, when you would expect everyone to be the most focused and energized. Can you imagine how the vibe for the team and the fans and possibly the game would have changed if he goes and makes that play? To me, it represented that the team was uptight, which was the complete opposite of the young Cubs playing on the road.

It was a disappointing and devastating loss for a team that accomplished so much this year and was capable of even more....

In the end, it didn't make a difference. The big problem was on the other side of the ball, which is what we feared. Arietta just destroyed them. Cole would have needed to pitch a shutout, and we still might have lost. The game was pretty much a replay of the Yankees-Astros game on Tuesday.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Correction, its all about the DODGER blue!!! Can't wait to be in Dodger Stadium this weekend.

Ill take that. Blue is better than orange, which is both an Astros color and a Mets color. Let's go whatever shade of blue fits your team!!!!

clinton

Reaction score
Yeah, they said it was the first time since divisional play began that the top three teams in wins were all in the same division. I agree they should make it a three game series. Too bad they lost but I gotta think that whoever won will get waxed by the Cards anyway.
I think you have missed the Cubs dominating the Cards lately. I wont be surprised to see them sweep St Louis. Cardinal fans wanted the bucs

madinsomniac

Reaction score
The Wildcard game was supposed to make life easier on the top seeds... If the cubs win, then it might get looked at again... though I bet we will have to wait for a season where the Yankees or Red sox get screwed over it for them to fix it totally

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Im gonna go with the local guys and root on the Stros from here out. I have sat at Minute Maid several times since I moved here watched the "who sucks more" competition between the Pirates/Stros. Its cool to see them both coming around.

Overall, Im for anyone but the Cards. #fuckstlouis

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad the Giants aren't in it this year. I hate them more than St.Louis. It would be an unwatchable NLCS if those two teams were in it.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
And it looks like the Blue Jays are about to epically fail after trading all that young talent for Price and Tulowitzki.

They better re-sign Price this winter, or it'll set them back quite a lot.

F83

Forefather
Reaction score
jays O stunk it up tulowitzki and martin batted like crap, as did jose
3 straight that will be hard the o will have to get red hot, with estarada i see a win, Buhrlee, inconsistent now, if they win gm 3, start price and if it comes back to then in 5 go with dickey

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
Royals won!!! There was a reason we signed Zobrist, and it's because he comes through in the clutch. I didn't stay up late enough to see if the Dodgers won or not. But the Mets pitcher last night had some EPIC hair.

swal75

Reaction score
Wow, nice slide Chase Utley

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
The Royals game is on at the same time the Dallas- NE game is. Guess I will have to flip back and forth between games.

steelrzgirl

Forefather
Reaction score
Astros win. One more to go. I havent seen a Dallas Star all day today. They are all now magically Rangers fans.

Yinzerlyn

Contributor
Reaction score
The Royals just don't have "it" like they did last year. Somethings been missing since the end of August. There's no spark. Maybe having their backs against the wall will be the spark. The had their backs against the wall last year. This year, they had the division won back in July.