• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Anyone going to hold Ben accountable?

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
So your not going to watch the breakdowns. Maybe perhaps if those plays were made the running games opens up. Nah that's not a possibility

Because it is a moot point. Whether Ben makes those plays or not is irrelevant, once the plays are not made you have to go to a back-up plan. Waiting until halfway thru the 4th quarter to try something different was plain stupid.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Because it is a moot point. Whether Ben makes those plays or not is irrelevant, once the plays are not made you have to go to a back-up plan. Waiting until halfway thru the 4th quarter to try something different was plain stupid.

LMAO at moot point. I can't. If those play are excuted there is no need to change the gameplan is working smh. I'm done .

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
LMAO at moot point. I can't. If those play are excuted there is no need to change the gameplan is working smh. I'm done .

So because they don't work you keep trying until they do. That is idiotic. You just explained yourself why Tomlin is not a head coach...congratulations. If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle. Whatever the plan, it was not working and it took 50 minutes of a 60 minute game to change it up. You can't justify the logic in that stupidity.

Bigappleyinzer

Reaction score
I love it.

If Eli, Matt Ryan, or Stafford played like Ben did on Sunday- their fan base would put them through the ringer. But not Steelernation.com hahaha.

"Yea Ben played awful but..."

Just think about it- we mainly lost due to poor QB play, yet there are 6 DIFFERENT thread topics relating to "Fire Tomlin/Haley/XYZ", and ONLY ONE discussing said QB.

And lets just stop with all the passive aggressive "I used to be a Tomlin fan, but not anymore". Your lying ***** arent fooling anyone lol.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
v.2.5

Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger vs. Ravens Ben Roethlisberger leads the Steelers onto the field against the Ravens.
Time to panic? Roethlisberger tells Steelers, 'Follow me'
November 9, 2016 10:43 AM
By Ray Fittipaldo / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger has been in this position before. Actually, he’s been in worse positions.

The Steelers are 4-4 and on the outside looking in of the AFC playoffs at the halfway point of the season. It’s the same position they were in last season at the midway point before they stormed their way to a 6-2 second-half finish and a playoff berth.

Way back in 2005, the Steelers were 7-5 with four games to go and had to win all four to make the playoffs. Roethlisberger not only won the next four games to make the playoffs, but the next four after that to bring home the franchise’s fifth Lombardi Trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT

So when Roethlisberger was asked this morning how the team can find a balance between urgency and staying calm without panicking, he gave his team a message: “Follow me.”

That might have been Roethlisberger’s version of Aaron Rodgers’ classic “Relax” quote.

“Guys that have been here that know this is no time to panic,” Roethlisberger said.

Only time will tell if his teammates will follow his lead and turn their season back in the right direction. Dallas, which is tied with New England for the best record in the NFL, visits Heinz Field this week. After that, the Steelers go on the road for four of their next five games.

That’s a daunting challenge for any team, much less one that will carry a three-game losing streak into the Cowboys game.

How does Roethlisberger set the example of his teammates?

“Just watch me,” he said. “Talking to guys like you and just being calm like this, it’s easy.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/...ys-to-Steelers-follow-me/stories/201611090202

TDX27

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
No matter how you look at it, the game plan for the Rats sucked. With a team that can, yes, can and should put up 30 points against any team, you play to your strengths. I said it before, too many times we play not to lose. Tomlin said they wanted to protect Ben. If Ben is playing, you go full out. If he can't go full out, then he shouldn't be in there. Ben was more than capable in that game of throwing much more and getting into a rhythm. As I said countless times during the game and after, they should have had been start the game throwing short, quick passes to get Ben back in a rhythm. He didn't have an opportunity to get into a rhythm until the 4th quarter. That is straight up bull **** and poor coaching - period!

Coryea

Nothing left to do but win the whole ******* thing
Forefather
Reaction score
What are you talking about the, game plan was fine, Baltimore's offense was struggling so it was fine.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
No matter how you look at it, the game plan for the Rats sucked. With a team that can, yes, can and should put up 30 points against any team, you play to your strengths. I said it before, too many times we play not to lose. Tomlin said they wanted to protect Ben. If Ben is playing, you go full out. If he can't go full out, then he shouldn't be in there. Ben was more than capable in that game of throwing much more and getting into a rhythm. As I said countless times during the game and after, they should have had been start the game throwing short, quick passes to get Ben back in a rhythm. He didn't have an opportunity to get into a rhythm until the 4th quarter. That is straight up bull **** and poor coaching - period!

yeap, slant and curl the **** out of the ravens stacked box D

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
yeap, slant and curl the **** out of the ravens stacked box D

Exactly, go 3 wide so they can't stack the box, this is what they started doing in the 4th, the offense Ben thought they could've went to earlier, but Tomlin wanted to stick to their guns and not hurt Baltimore's offenses feelings because they were struggling too.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
The one encouraging sign for Steelers fans was Pittsburgh’s dominance against the Ravens’ recently resurgent run game, as a fine performance by Ryan Shazier, Stephon Tuitt and James Harrison helped hold Baltimore to 50 yards rushing on 29 carries (1.7 ypc). Shazier looks all the way back after taking the bye week to recover, which is huge for the Steelers defense given his playmaking ability. The former first-round pick shot a gap for a big hit on Terrance West two yards behind the line of scrimmage, popping the ball loose near the Ravens goal line. Kamar Aiken recovered for Baltimore, but on a defense in need of players who can change a game on a single play, Shazier’s return represents a much-needed boost.
- While Ben Roethlisberger and the offensive line played poorly, Todd Haley’s game plan deserves criticism as well. It seems like abandoning the run early against Miami has left a lasting mark on the Steelers offensive coordinator, perhaps to an extreme extent. Haley was determined to pound the ball on the ground at the strength of the Ravens defense, even when the results were clearly not working.
A couple of playcalls were incredibly bizarre. A run on 3rd-and-9 on the first drive of the game? Another with 1:43 left in the game and the Steelers threatening to cut the Ravens lead to 7? With no timeouts to stop the clock, almost 40 seconds ran off the clock before the Steelers' next play, leaving them virtually no shot at driving for a tying touchdown even if they managed to make it 21-14, which they did two plays later. The lack of play-action passes is dooming the Steelers offense too, as they currently rank last in the NFL in that department, per Pro Football Focus.

Haley is a great offensive coordinator, but his flaws are being too cute at times and overadjusting to past errors. Abandoned the run game too early in a tight game against Miami? We’ll continue to pound the ball at one of the best run defenses in the league the next time. You’ve got to be more multi-dimensional than that, and if your quarterback isn’t capable of it, you need to turn to your backup. Watching Roethlisberger on Sunday, even Landry Jones couldn’t have been much worse.

- Antonio Brown is right about other players needing to step up with the ridiculous amount of attention he is getting from opposing teams, but much of the blame needs to be on Roethlisberger’s shoulders as well. Several times on Sunday the Steelers quarterback had open receivers and simply got tunnel vision for Brown or his first read, something that seems to be a habit for Roethlisberger in his first game back from injury. Certainly the Steelers receivers need to cut down on their mistakes (Coates, Markus Wheaton) and show greater maturity (Eli Rogers), but when Roethlisberger is on his game, those issues seem to diminish significantly.

http://www.scout.com/nfl/steelers/story/1726068-all-22-review-steelers-ravens

Steeler Pride

Bourbon Connoisseur
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Todd Haley’s game plan deserves criticism as well. It seems like abandoning the run early against Miami has left a lasting mark on the Steelers offensive coordinator, perhaps to an extreme extent. Haley was determined to pound the ball on the ground at the strength of the Ravens defense, even when the results were clearly not working.
A couple of playcalls were incredibly bizarre. A run on 3rd-and-9 on the first drive of the game? Another with 1:43 left in the game and the Steelers threatening to cut the Ravens lead to 7? With no timeouts to stop the clock, almost 40 seconds ran off the clock before the Steelers' next play, leaving them virtually no shot at driving for a tying touchdown even if they managed to make it 21-14, which they did two plays later. The lack of play-action passes is dooming the Steelers offense too, as they currently rank last in the NFL in that department, per Pro Football Focus.

Haley is a great offensive coordinator, but his flaws are being too cute at times and overadjusting to past errors. Abandoned the run game too early in a tight game against Miami? We’ll continue to pound the ball at one of the best run defenses in the league the next time. You’ve got to be more multi-dimensional than that, and if your quarterback isn’t capable of it, you need to turn to your backup. Watching Roethlisberger on Sunday, even Landry Jones couldn’t have been much worse.

Yeah, just poor execution, nothing wrong with the game plan or play calling at all.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Antonio Brown is right about other players needing to step up with the ridiculous amount of attention he is getting from opposing teams, but much of the blame needs to be on Roethlisberger’s shoulders as well. Several times on Sunday the Steelers quarterback had open receivers and simply got tunnel vision for Brown or his first read, something that seems to be a habit for Roethlisberger in his first game back from injury. Certainly the Steelers receivers need to cut down on their mistakes (Coates, Markus Wheaton) and show greater maturity (Eli Rogers), but when Roethlisberger is on his game, those issues seem to diminish significantly.

And when the gameplan called a good play they weren't executed.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
B.J. Finney’s Head Bobs To Blame For Several Miscues Against Ravens

You could see that Roethlisberger was out of sync with Finney right from the start and especially during the offense’s second third down of the game. As you can see below, tackle Alejandro Villanueva is very late out of his stance on that play and it resulted in Ravens outside linebacker Terrell Suggs getting a free hit on Roethlisberger.

“That was one of those plays that was supposed to be on three head bobs and Finney snapped it on two head bobs,” explained Roethlisberger. “So that’s why Suggs got around the corner so quick on Al. No one was quite ready; I’m glad I was just looking for the ball.”

http://www.Invalid Link - Check SN ...nneys-head-bobs-blame-several-miscues-ravens/

But wait I thought the coaches just designed a stupid play that let Suggs come free

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
That's why you have a RB as his side car, so if someone gets a free run there's someone to pick him up, and when your back up center comes in and you know your qb is complete ng off surgery then all the more reason to try to protect him.
Funny all you hear is Ben got tunnel vision blah, blah, but no one wants to bring up the 5 drops, the missed routes, the guys not being able to figure out where to line up.

No doubt Ben did try to force a couple to Brown, but when you have the best wr that happens, Matt Ryan tries to force a few to Jones, Dalton forces some to Green, so it's not like Ben is the only guy to do this.

Blitzburgh

Reaction score
That's why you have a RB as his side car, so if someone gets a free run there's someone to pick him up, and when your back up center comes in and you know your qb is complete ng off surgery then all the more reason to try to protect him.
Funny all you hear is Ben got tunnel vision blah, blah, but no one wants to bring up the 5 drops, the missed routes, the guys not being able to figure out where to line up.

No doubt Ben did try to force a couple to Brown, but when you have the best wr that happens, Matt Ryan tries to force a few to Jones, Dalton forces some to Green, so it's not like Ben is the only guy to do this.

yeah really, I was watching the Bucs vs Hawks and Winston forced the ball to Mike Evans nearly every play.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score

Oh come up with a gameplan to try to protect him??? Isn't that what they did?? And how many times have I said the players need to play better. What missed routes???

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Oh come up with a gameplan to try to protect him??? Isn't that what they did?? And how many times have I said the players need to play better. What missed routes???

Brown ran the wrong route, he ran in, was supposed to go out, Johnson couldn't even line in the right spot on a few plays, Coates screwed one up. There were missed assignments with the plays that are scripted, so either the players aren't paying attention or the coaches aren't getting through to them. Yeah him getting crushed on a free run by suggs was pretty safe, and he was immediately under pressure on the first pass play as well.
Yeah the players need to play better, but the head coach needs to quit being so stubborn when the game plan isn't working and make a freaking adjustment, and not base it on the other offense, one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
Ben played ok once the painkiller haze wore off some.

did you see dude's eyes in the 1st half?

yeah....rust.

at least they didn't hit his nerve like they did on Bussy.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Brown ran the wrong route, he ran in, was supposed to go out, Johnson couldn't even line in the right spot on a few plays, Coates screwed one up. There were missed assignments with the plays that are scripted, so either the players aren't paying attention or the coaches aren't getting through to them. Yeah him getting crushed on a free run by suggs was pretty safe, and he was immediately under pressure on the first pass play as well.
Yeah the players need to play better, but the head coach needs to quit being so stubborn when the game plan isn't working and make a freaking adjustment, and not base it on the other offense, one of the dumbest things I've ever heard

Why did he get crushed by suggs?? Was it coaching design as you suggested or player execution? The coach gave a reason for not abandoning the run game so that he could keep his 100 million dollar QB from taking hits. Which worked except for the back up center snapping the ball too early. He snapped it on two when it should of been three which cause Big AL to not get of his stance. And if said QB would have hit the passes that were included in the gameplan there would of been no need to adjust correct? But let's say we would of came out and run our usual pass first offense and Ben would of gotten hit more would you have been cool with that or would you then be bitching about the coaches not coming up with a game plan to protect their franchise player??

And Coates didn't screw up that route Ben threw it into the ground. That play is included in the link I posted.

Last edited:

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
No, he got crushed because a back up center ****** the snap count up, something that isn't that uncommon for a back up player that didn't get many reps in practice, but that's not my point. I don't care if Pouncey were still in there, and we had Leon Searcy at LT. You know your QB is coming off knee surgery, you should give him the extra protection from the RB, who is very good at blocking, if no one gets through he releases into the passing game.

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
No, he got crushed because a back up center ****** the snap count up, something that isn't that uncommon for a back up player that didn't get many reps in practice, but that's not my point. I don't care if Pouncey were still in there, and we had Leon Searcy at LT. You know your QB is coming off knee surgery, you should give him the extra protection from the RB, who is very good at blocking, if no one gets through he releases into the passing game.

Soooooo bell who is also good at pass catching can't release on a route?? You want to to protect Ben but take offense with the gameplan that was to protect Ben. I'm pretty sure there were plays that kept Bell in to help protect that wasn't of them. It wasn't designed for Suggs to come free. Injury and a new center caused that. But **** it still the coaches fault

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Soooooo bell who is also good at pass catching can't release on a route?? You want to to protect Ben but take offense with the gameplan that was to protect Ben. I'm pretty sure there were plays that kept Bell in to help protect that wasn't of them. It wasn't designed for Suggs to come free. Injury and a new center caused that. But **** it still the coaches fault[/QUOTE]

the trend says

y
e
p

Coryea

Forefather
Reaction score
Did I not say he could see if anyone got through, if not then release?

antdrewjosh

Reaction score
Did I not say he could see if anyone got through, if not then release?

He does that Alot just not that play. That play was about Finney snapping too early. That's why Suggs had a free run. Other wise Big Al is there to attempt to get a block