• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

Allen? Dangerfield? Somebody else? Analyzing the Steelers' backup safety battle

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
Bottom line is Davis was trusted by the coaching staff to play more snaps than almost anyone else on the team. I think they have a better idea of talent than coach. or any of us for that matter.

I think the fact that they didn't draft a FS says a lot. Something missed on a few. As in the draft they attacked their biggest weaknesses as well as free agency. For neither to sniff a FS?

All anyone needs to know.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Davis isn't in man coverage, which is what your sentence applies to. He isn't a corner. He is a FS, whose job is to shorten the field by keep the long positive plays to a minimum.

DUH

Let's start out agreeing. Our pass rush rocked. Okay, so why did our pass defense rate 23rd overall in yardage surrendered and allowed opposing QB's to average 95.2 passer rating?

Ponder that. The answer, if you were honest, is only Haden was solid in coverage last year. Davis doesn't rate among the better free safety's or even average if you want to use 3rd party data.

He makes less plays on the ball relative to his peers at the same position. Why? And he leads his team in miss tackles, some of which turn into big plays

Checkmate.

Or double DUH.

PS: Davis does play some man coverage so to say he isn't in man coverage is just wrong.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think the fact that they didn't draft a FS says a lot. Something missed on a few. As in the draft they attacked their biggest weaknesses as well as free agency. For neither to sniff a FS?

All anyone needs to know.

And the fact that some say safety has little depth, ( I wonder who's in that camp: ) underscores the Steelers problem. If the Steelers thought so much of Davis they would not have given Morgan ( an older player ) a lot of money last year and spent a first round pick on a safety in the same year. When you give a free agent that type of money, it's for a starting role.

The swung and missed badly on Morgan. Not drafting an upside safety in the mid to late rounds of this draft was an issue.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
NFL player rankings by 3rd parties. The Sean Davis debate.

Some think Davis is a weak link, others defend him.

Okay, what do 3rd party sources say? Let's check Athlon's for openers

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-defensive-back-rankings 27th?

They are much higher on Davis, Pro Football Focus rates him 40th at safety.

Anyone can add more, links upon request. Then we can take the mean average.

My quick prediction is some people will troll this thread, and have no interest learning or seeing that those in the media business don't think much of Davis. Let's see if I'm off the mark on that call.

Last edited:

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
And the fact that some say safety has little depth, ( I wonder who's in that camp: ) underscores the Steelers problem. If the Steelers thought so much of Davis they would not have given Morgan ( an older player ) a lot of money last year and spent a first round pick on a safety in the same year. When you give a free agent that type of money, it's for a starting role.

The swung and missed badly on Morgan. Not drafting an upside safety in the mid to late rounds of this draft was an issue.
Morgan was not brought in to play FS. That is a fact. Checkmate.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Steeler Nation mobile app

CoolieMan

Most Intelligent Poster
Forefather
Reaction score
Some think Davis is a weak link, others defend him.

Okay, what do 3rd party sources say? Let's check Athlon's for openers

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/nfl-defensive-back-rankings 27th?

They are much higher on Davis, Pro Football Focus rates him 40th at safety.

Anyone can add more, links upon request. Then we can take the mean average.

My quick prediction is some people will troll this thread, and have no interest learning or seeing that those in the media business don't think much of Davis. Let's see if I'm off the mark on that call.

why the **** would you think this **** deserves another thread?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
I think Edmunds played more actual snaps. Davis missed a game so I'm pretty sure Edmunds had more total snaps.

Shhh you're correct. Let Ike think he is.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Let's start out agreeing. Our pass rush rocked. Okay, so why did our pass defense rate 23rd overall in yardage surrendered and allowed opposing QB's to average 95.2 passer rating?

Ponder that. The answer, if you were honest, is only Haden was solid in coverage last year. Davis doesn't rate among the better free safety's or even average if you want to use 3rd party data.

He makes less plays on the ball relative to his peers at the same position. Why? And he leads his team in miss tackles, some of which turn into big plays

Checkmate.

Or double DUH.

PS: Davis does play some man coverage so to say he isn't in man coverage is just wrong.
You are playing checkers not chess. It has already been pointed out to you about Davis if you can't grasp what they told you that is your issue. But to blame Davis for the secondary woes when Burns stunk up the joint,and Sense was only a stop gap is just plain silly. And you can't seem to grasp it was his first year at playing FS. So he did well considering. I now return you to your agenda.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
You are playing checkers not chess. It has already been pointed out to you about Davis if you can't grasp what they told you that is your issue. But to blame Davis for the secondary woes when Burns stunk up the joint,and Sense was only a stop gap is just plain silly. And you can't seem to grasp it was his first year at playing FS. So he did well considering. I now return you to your agenda.

Oh I agree on Burns. You must have been one of those yahoos who paned me when I said Burns was not a good pick, and wanted X. Howard. Davis is probably or worst starter on defense in the base 4-3. Or do you disagree with that point? The best thing you could say is he's a cheap player.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Davis also played SS. Have you figured out that Davis does play man coverage too? Still in Checkmate... Play again.
Playing man coverage here and there doesn't mean he does it frequently. No **** Davis also played SS but they moved him to FS and brought S's in to play SS. Go back to playing with your crayons and let the big boys talk football.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Oh I agree on Burns. You must have been one of those yahoos who paned me when I said Burns was not a good pick, and wanted X. Howard. Davis is probably or worst starter on defense in the base 4-3. Or do you disagree with that point? The best thing you could say is he's a cheap player.
Coach your opinions change constantly in regards to the draft so to say you wanted someone is silly. You wanted a shitload of players. Eventually you will be right. More than often you are wrong. Ed Oliver says hi.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

Dumb ***.....follow closely. Burnett was signed to play SS in FA. Davis was moved to FS. Edmunds was drafted as a SS to learn behind Burnett, and be the $ backer or extra safety in the dime. Burnett was injured all through camp and Edmunds took all the snaps...showed he wasn’t overwhelmed and won the starting SS spot. Burnett was regulated to the $ backer role.

The miss on Burnett was his injury, and then he soured playing the role given to him after Edmunds won the starting job. They have players who several writers who follow the team say could play safety (Hilton, Sutton, the couple players they signed after the draft). Obviously they felt the players they drafted were better value than any safety left on their board.

Sent from my iPad using Steeler Nation mobile app

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Great point, Davis was on the field the most. Yet he has the few big plays. Keep posting.

I’ll keep posting and at the same time show how much of a Dumb *** you are as well.

Your definition of big plays is myopic and highlights your total lack of football acumen. There’s more to big plays than INTs with safeties.

The back end defense in the first 2/3 of the schedule was designed to reduce long plays from scrimmage. The safeties were assigned keep plays in front of them to limit the long gains. They reduced the long gains by HALF in 2018 from 2017. I’ll say that constitutes big plays. The later 1/3 of the season they let the safeties play more on the ball, with some success with PDs. Not enough T/O for sure, but that’s the maturation process for two players playing the same position two consecutive years.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Shhh you're correct. Let Ike think he is.

No Dumb *** you are wrong. The numbers Vader presented included ST snaps. Davis had more Defensive snaps. If you learn to follow threads you would have been enlightened of the fact.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score
Davis also played SS. Have you figured out that Davis does play man coverage too? Still in Checkmate... Play again.

Lord you are an embarrassment to this board.

I don’t have enough crayons to show you that FS/SS coverage schemes are not the same as CB coverage schemes.

FS/SS coverages are dictated by the numerous offense alignments and packages. On most passing situations they are playing zone coverage or on occasion being handed off a receiver from a corner or LB which can turn into single man. The majority of the time the safety is rolling over to the ball to help with the coverage. But it’s all predicated on packages (nickel/dime or even dollar) used.

You can use your 3rd party interpretations of the same statistics. Whether it’s PFF, Atholon (your term), Street/Smith, Lindy’s or the Sporting News, they will all opine something different. An opinion isn’t a fact Dumb ***, it’s an observation of interpretations.

Ike Kelly

P-38L Fan
Contributor
Reaction score

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I’ll keep posting and at the same time show how much of a Dumb *** you are as well.

Your definition of big plays is myopic and highlights your total lack of football acumen. There’s more to big plays than INTs with safeties.

The back end defense in the first 2/3 of the schedule was designed to reduce long plays from scrimmage. The safeties were assigned keep plays in front of them to limit the long gains. They reduced the long gains by HALF in 2018 from 2017. I’ll say that constitutes big plays. The later 1/3 of the season they let the safeties play more on the ball, with some success with PDs. Not enough T/O for sure, but that’s the maturation process for two players playing the same position two consecutive years.

Print this out coach to reference for your next Davis tangent. Stick to posting less, for you less equals more. It is like every day we have to school dumb and dumber. They should give us teachers salaries.

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Lord you are an embarrassment to this board.

I don’t have enough crayons to show you that FS/SS coverage schemes are not the same as CB coverage schemes.

FS/SS coverages are dictated by the numerous offense alignments and packages. On most passing situations they are playing zone coverage or on occasion being handed off a receiver from a corner or LB which can turn into single man. The majority of the time the safety is rolling over to the ball to help with the coverage. But it’s all predicated on packages (nickel/dime or even dollar) used.

You can use your 3rd party interpretations of the same statistics. Whether it’s PFF, Atholon (your term), Street/Smith, Lindy’s or the Sporting News, they will all opine something different. An opinion isn’t a fact Dumb ***, it’s an observation of interpretations.

Thanks I didn't feel like breaking it all down for him as nothing sinks in. His inability to grasp anything and learn when it comes to football is worrisome.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Posts like this are the ones that make people tired of coach, always a backhanded Pat in the back, is like a self-glory hole .

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

slashsteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Posts like this are the ones that make people tired of coach, always a backhanded Pat in the back, is like a self-glory hole .

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Steeler Nation mobile app

On a site that has no problem recognizing deserving posters.

Dumb and dumber offer very little across the board.

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It's all about the agenda. Maybe they can bring in Ed Reed to "mentor" Davis. Such a great idea, it works for everything even head coaches. Maybe they can call donahoe and have him come in and " mentor" Colbert, since you hate that pick so much. Another great idea.
BGB, you're a CLOSE RUNNER UP w/ the funnies, bro!!!
What gets me about coach is inability to soak in information and adjust an opinion based upon it. It is ok to be wrong, it is ok for an opinion to change. But coach refuses to be educated. I can't remember a time his opinion has changed. Coach I give you props for not starting ten thousand spastic threads lately, this is your next step in development. Adjusting when need be.

He'd rather point out my blunder about Dan Marino...

bermudasteel

Contributor
Reaction score
It's all about the agenda. Maybe they can bring in Ed Reed to "mentor" Davis. Such a great idea, it works for everything even head coaches. Maybe they can call donahoe and have him come in and " mentor" Colbert, since you hate that pick so much. Another great idea.

And what gets me is how some here defend mediocrity. I can show you several 3rd party at rating systems that show Davis isn’t a good player, quite the opposite and people act as if it doesn’t matter! Can you Davis ditto heads show me the reverse? NO. So who’s correct? And who refuses to be educated?

A joke. Okay let’s use 3rd party ranking systems Ike. Want tally them up and see where David rates? Calling you out.

Of course you don’t! They are with me and you know it. Try letting that sink in. Key word is try, you can’t and won’t.

Also you might get a clue that picked on DB’s sort of get extra tackles because their man often is open. DUH

Sent from my iPhone using Steeler Nation mobile app

Show us the sites/links. Now ask yourself 'how credible are the sources'???

Waiting...