• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Let me ask you this! Would you trade the Steelers 1st this year, next year, and our 2nd and 3rd this year for Myles Garrett (trade with Browns) if you look at the chart we would getting the better end of the trade point wise. But it would set us back several years in drafting.

I love Myles Garrett, but that is steep. That is 3 of the top 100 picks in the deepest draft I can recall. I can't do that. And my first next year. I'm not sure anyone is that good. What if he does like Clowney, that sets me back a couple years. Too much risk for me.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Just to throw this in here, Tennessee pro day, Steelers have contingent there including Tomlin and Butler. Butler might be looking at Derek Barnett since his specialty was LBs. Tomlin may as well, but I have a feeling Cam Sutton is the guy. Barnett had 20 reps on the bench and ran a 4.89 (he ran a 4.86 at the combine). Said to be battling a hammy. I watched his only run and my God did it look slow. I had to make sure it was not in slow motion.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
1. Carl Lawson OLB
2. Fabian Moreau CB
3. Marcus Williams S
3c. Jorddan Leggett TE
4. Marlon Mack RB
5. Ryan Switzer WR (I would take him in the 4th. This guy is a winner and is the Patriot type of player that KILLS us)

That is certainly one way to go, but IF I were to stay true to taking the BPA and if there are even players, taking need over anything else, here is how I draft:

1st-Chidobe Awuzie or Budda Baker. I think either have the potential to be great. That is your slot DB early, maybe day 1.
2nd-Derek Rivers. I don't think he lasts, but he has the physical tools everyone wants, long, strong, bendy, good enough against the run, can cover, can rush. Just needs to get better.
3rd-Ahkello Witherspoon-I really want Williams, but I have them pretty close and my desire for a true corner is too great. He is an edge only, long that can run.
3B-Marcus Maye-I have Maye at the end of the 2nd. I like Leggett and Gallman, but neither are as good as Maye to me.
4th-Jarron Jones
5th-Ryan Switzer. I know, with Ayers and Rogers, I don't need him. I just want him.

What this does is gives me a big corner opposite of Burns (Witherspoon). It gives me a slot corner and he might start (Baker/Awuzie). It gives me a FS for the future (Maye) and a guy that can step in if I need him to and walk Davis down. I have my edge rusher. I have another pass rusher on the DL for a rotation. I'd like a TE, but Green is coming back. I look at RB in the 6th or tap the pool of unsigned guys in free agency.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Del, Keonte Davis is a guy you might want to throw on your edge list. He looked really athletic in some games, then he gets against Alabama and while he held his ground against Cam Robinson and they even helped a little on him, he really didn't show much in the form of explosiveness as a pass rusher. He did against lesser teams, but against better competition, not so much. I had kind of written him off as a little unathletic. He goes to the combine and DNPs it. So, I'm thinking he won't test well. His pro day was today. At 6'3"-268, he runs a 4.71, throws the bar up 30 times, has a VJ of 37" and a BJ of 10'1". That is a KEI of 78...with pretty good long speed.

So, I'd toss him on my 3rd day list of sleeper edge rushers.

deljzc

Reaction score
Del, Keonte Davis is a guy you might want to throw on your edge list. He looked really athletic in some games, then he gets against Alabama and while he held his ground against Cam Robinson and they even helped a little on him, he really didn't show much in the form of explosiveness as a pass rusher. He did against lesser teams, but against better competition, not so much. I had kind of written him off as a little unathletic. He goes to the combine and DNPs it. So, I'm thinking he won't test well. His pro day was today. At 6'3"-268, he runs a 4.71, throws the bar up 30 times, has a VJ of 37" and a BJ of 10'1". That is a KEI of 78...with pretty good long speed.

So, I'd toss him on my 3rd day list of sleeper edge rushers.

Not a lot of film on him. I think I watched his game against Alabama based on my notes. He looks like he's more of a DE to me and would be a better fit with his hand in the dirt. That is a very good KEI. My notes also said something to the effect he is a bit enamored with just attacking the edge and that often gets himself too wide. He needs to learn ways to go outside/inside and a bigger compliment of pass rush moves. I have him down as a 5th-6th round talent but not sure I think he can be a ROLB for us.

He needs the Charles Haley path. First year, all you teach him is pass rush moves and then year 2 you teach him the system and where you want him to play.

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Here is what you have to understand, and it really isn't hard to fathom, but Dick LeBeau was a zone blitz guy. He still is in Tennessee. He always preached a triangle system where you had a deep safety, an inside LB, and a CB and those three would converge on the ball in their area. They worked off that premise. He last coached here in 2014. So, Butler takes over in 2015. Ike Taylor and Polamalu left after 2014. Butler had William Gay, Antwon Blake, Doran Grant, Brandon Boykin, lost Cortez Allen all but one game, and inked Ross Cockrell after final cuts. Those are your CBs. At safety, it was Mitchell, Allen, Robert Golden, Shamarko Thomas, and Ross Ventrone.

That is what Butler inherits. You want to press with that group? In the draft that year, they take Bud Dupree in the first. Byron Jones was my guy, but I get Dupree and without him, we would need 2 OLBs right now. So, hard to argue that one. In the second, they take Golson, who is ideally a slot corner. I mean, they are looking to add corners. Who else? Quintin Rollins? Damarius Randall struggled last year for the Packers, still kept Rollins on the pine until his groin injury put him out. If Sam Shields had played, he is 4th on the chart. They just signed Davon House, that means they have Randall, House, and Gunter ahead of Rollins. The next three are D'Joun Smith, PJ Williams, and Alex Carter. Pats moved Richards to SS. Smith has dressed 5 games, 1 tackle. Williams is battling concussions. Alex Carter has dressed for one game. Where do you expect them to find bodies, much less players?

Last year they drafted TWO cover guys in the first two rounds. I bet you really liked those selections too. Building a team, changing a philosophy, it doesn't happen overnight. They are moving in a new direction, exactly what that is, I don't know, but I'm starting to wonder if they are not moving to a 3-3-5 with an elephant safety.

TMC,

What I don't understand is the Steelers cap management. They keep expensive veterans a year long then they should. Most recent examples would be Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor. Then they replace them with who, Ross Cockerel and Sean Davis?

Timmons to me was very good, but over paid. Same for Pouncey, and its proven the team record is essentially the same without him. These were threads of mine before you re-joined.

As for the 3-3-5, the " 5 " would need to be a very small & fast 4-3 outside type of guy, with coverage skills. OR a very physical safety with cover skills. You can run it, but you need a player like Derrick Brooks or Troy Polamalu to have that type of flexibility. We have neither. And the formation is a tad soft vs the run, but I'm okay with it on 2nd down and 7 or more yards to go. I think the Steelers if they get another quality edge guy and one more solid coverage person could go back to the zone blitz scheme.

Luckily for us, Colbert can scoop up a cut player like Cockrel and retain an older William Gay in free agency for peanuts. The coaches can make players like this scheme functional, but the cost is this safety first approach by Butler. And because of the lack of depth at DB, we had to start two rookies....limiting the blitzing risks we can take.

I get it!

We can't run the zone blitz the way Lebeau liked because management was duped by Jason Worlds to took franchise tag money then retired, and Colbert and Tomlin missed badly on Jarivs Jones ( I screamed when that pick was made ) , leaving an old warrior in Harrison to lead the charge as our best pass rusher.

See the problem? So Kevin Butler had to be conservative on his defense schemes, and we all see how this soft zone does vs the better QB's. It gets torn to pieces! But sometimes you're better off attacking then losing chunks of yardage when the other team is going to score as something good can happen. That is my issue with Butler and Tomlin on days when our offense is not putting up 28+ points and playing a good QB.

The next draft will need edge rushers and corners. We both agree there 100% . A play making safety would be nice too.

-Coach

Last edited:

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
TMC - you may not agree, but I'm not too high on Barnett. Sure, he got his sacks and numbers, but I feel a lot of that was the notorious "coverage sack" where he Gildonged his way to them. I know he has a motor and is relentless, but I don't believe he has the moves to get to the QB at the pro level. As a Vols fan, it kinda stings to say that. It seems he did get a lot better last year, but I don't honestly believe he's going to get much better. Sure - NFL coaching, nutrition, etc, etc. I think his ceiling isn't much higher.

Cam Sutton, however, I do like. He was hurt (ankle) and missed six games last year. Thus, his numbers were way down and likely wasn't trying to push himself towards the end of the season and re-injure that ankle. He did have more tackles the last three games of the season than he did the first three (bowl game was an anomaly) and he doesn't have a lot of interceptions - but the CB on the other side wasn't all that good, so it'd be easier to throw away from Sutton if you were a QB.

I also wonder ... if we were to possibly trade down a couple spots... not a lot, just a few ... would that put Alvin Kamara in play? dude is a gamer. flat out gamer. Even before Hurd decided to go elsewhere, Kamara was getting hard yards and showing impressive hands catching the ball. He also stuck in to provide pass pro. I know we tagged Bell and can do so again next year, but our depth is **** at RB and Kamara would be an excellent insurance policy if we cannot sign Bell long term. I don't believe we'd take a RB early at all, though, but would absolutely take Kamara over McCaffrey. Seven times on Draft Days and every single Sunday.

stillwright

Contributor
Reaction score
TMC,

What I don't understand is the Steelers cap management. They keep expensive veterans a year long then they should. Most recent examples would be Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor. Then they replace them with who, Ross Cockerel and Sean Davis?

Timmons to me was very good, but over paid. Same for Pouncey, and its proven the team record is essentially the same without him. These were threads of mine before you re-joined.

As for the 3-3-5, the " 5 " would need to be a very small & fast 4-3 outside type of guy, with coverage skills. OR a very physical safety with cover skills. You can run it, but you need a player like Derrick Brooks or Troy Polamalu to have that type of flexibility. We have neither. And the formation is a tad soft vs the run, but I'm okay with it on 2nd down and 7 or more yards to go. I think the Steelers if they get another quality edge guy and one more solid coverage person could go back to the zone blitz scheme.

Luckily for us, Colbert can scoop up a cut player like Cockrel and retain an older William Gay for peanuts. The coaches can make players like this scheme functional, but the cost is this safety first approach by Butler. And because of the lack of depth at DB, we had to start two rookies....limiting the blitzing risks we can take.

I get it!

We can't run the zone blitz the way Lebeau liked because management was duped by Jason Worlds to took franchise tag money then retired, and Colbert and Tomlin missed badly on Jarivs Jones ( I screamed when that pick was made ) , leaving an old warrior in Harrison to lead the charge as our best pass rusher.

See the problem? So Kevin Butler had to be conservative on his defense schemes, and we all see how this soft zone does vs the better QB's. It gets torn to pieces! But sometimes you're better off attacking then losing chunks of yardage when the other team is going to score as something good can happen.

The next draft will need edge rushers and corners. We both agree there 100% . A play making safety would be nice too.

-Coach

We need to attack on defense...Put our young guys in position to make plays....Maybe we give up a fast score....maybe our young players make a play....but this death by a thousand cuts is old and should be scrapped once and for all. Not only does it gas our defense but keeps the strongest part of our team on the sideline...Our offense. Watching bad QB's having career games against us is just getting sickening to watch.....

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
TMC, Any thoughts on Ejuan Price or Avery Moss at OLB? Would they be worth drafting in the 5th or 6th round?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC,

Luckily for us, Colbert can scoop up a cut player like Cockrel and retain an older William Gay in free agency for peanuts. The coaches can make players like this scheme functional, but the cost is this safety first approach by Butler. And because of the lack of depth at DB, we had to start two rookies....limiting the blitzing risks we can take.

I get it!

See the problem? So Kevin Butler had to be conservative on his defense schemes, and we all see how this soft zone does vs the better QB's. It gets torn to pieces! But sometimes you're better off attacking then losing chunks of yardage when the other team is going to score as something good can happen. That is my issue with Butler and Tomlin on days when our offense is not putting up 28+ points and playing a good QB.

-Coach

So, let me understand this. You draft Troy Polamalu and Ike Taylor. They spend their whole careers with you and are pretty cornerstone players in getting you to three Super Bowls where you win two. When they top 30, you draft guys to replace them like Crezdon Butler, Curtis Brown, Cortez Allen, Terrence Frederick, Shamarko Thomas, Terry Hawthorne, and Shaquille Richardson, but both Ike and Troy continue to play at a pretty high level and none of those picks pan out. In addition, both players rearrange money to allow you to climb out from under a massive salary cap crunch imposed when the new CBA began. And, you want to dump those guys a year early to save ~$4M (Troy) and ~2.75M (Ike). Yeah, those are the savings they would have generated in 2014. You throw one of the greatest Steelers ever and an elite player under the bus for ~$7M with no one to replace them. Hell, after they left, they filled the void with Allen and Antwon Blake. Is that really your argument? I'd rather spend the cash and have Troy and Ike, especially when the 2014 draft netted them Shazier, Tuitt, and Bryant. With Ike and Troy gone, probably looking at CB and S in those rounds. In the first, the safety choice was Calvin Pryor and HaHa Clinton-Dix. At corner, Darqueze Dennard and Jason Verrett. In the 2nd, Stanley Jean-Baptiste and a whole lotta nothing after him. I can get complaining about it then, but in hindsight, that would have been a disaster. Instead of having two defensive cornerstones, we MIGHT have Clinton-Dix. Maybe. Maybe we completely suck. And, they did not replace Polamalu/Taylor with Cockrell/Davis. They replaced them with Antwon Blake and Will Allen. Cockrell fell in their lap.

Timmons wasn't over paid. He had the same contract that David Harris did, drafted after Timmons, similar players, same position. Pouncey is still considered one of the best centers in football. I really don't get how you think they will retain talent if they don't pay them. While they OL did okay with Wallace, they also scaled back what they asked him to do. He rarely pulled. The second level blocks were gone. He isn't that mobile. And, I get some people like Vince Wiliams, but he isn't going to get it in coverage. What if you did not pay Timmons and Shazier was taken before we picked. What then? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

As for the 3-3-5, I get what the 5 would be. It is why I stated elephant safety. The Steelers stayed in nickel more last year. They did it with two down DL, two OLBs, Timmons and Shazier, and 5 DBs. A 3-3-5 would mean you don't use Timmons anymore. It leaves Shazier alone in the middle, very similar to the Bears old defense. On the front, you have Heyward, Tuitt, and Hargrave. Since we have LT Walton and Alualu, you have some rotation players. You have Dupree. You draft an edge, like say Watt, who can rush, cover, and is decent against the run. So, you draft a bigger safety, one in the 215-220 pound range. Farrior wasn't far off that near the end. Foote got down in the low 230s. Sean Spence was 231. We had interest in Lavonte David that draft, he was 233. Deone Bucannon plays that role with Arizona at 215 pounds. Jatavis Brown does it with San Diego at 227. The Steelers played in passing sets ~70% of the time over the past two seasons, finished in the top 10 against the run in 2015 and just outside the top 10 last year. Are you stating that changing from Timmons to a safety is that big of a difference? If it is, then I guess Timmons was worth the money they paid him.

You really want to go back to the old zone blitz? The same defense that Brady carved up when they had guys like Ryan Clark, Polamalu, Taylor, and Gay in their prime? You cannot possibly want to go back to primarily zone defense. They are not going back to LeBeau's defense. They might sprinkle it in, but you can bet that the next 2 drafts will bring in guys to fit what Butler wants to do. If the first two drafts are any indication, it is athletic DBs that can cover, ILBs that can cover and blitz, and OLBs and DL that can press the pocket. ****, we don't even 2-gap anymore. You really think they are drafting to go back to LeBeau?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC - you may not agree, but I'm not too high on Barnett. Sure, he got his sacks and numbers, but I feel a lot of that was the notorious "coverage sack" where he Gildonged his way to them. I know he has a motor and is relentless, but I don't believe he has the moves to get to the QB at the pro level. As a Vols fan, it kinda stings to say that. It seems he did get a lot better last year, but I don't honestly believe he's going to get much better. Sure - NFL coaching, nutrition, etc, etc. I think his ceiling isn't much higher.

Cam Sutton, however, I do like. He was hurt (ankle) and missed six games last year. Thus, his numbers were way down and likely wasn't trying to push himself towards the end of the season and re-injure that ankle. He did have more tackles the last three games of the season than he did the first three (bowl game was an anomaly) and he doesn't have a lot of interceptions - but the CB on the other side wasn't all that good, so it'd be easier to throw away from Sutton if you were a QB.

I also wonder ... if we were to possibly trade down a couple spots... not a lot, just a few ... would that put Alvin Kamara in play? dude is a gamer. flat out gamer. Even before Hurd decided to go elsewhere, Kamara was getting hard yards and showing impressive hands catching the ball. He also stuck in to provide pass pro. I know we tagged Bell and can do so again next year, but our depth is **** at RB and Kamara would be an excellent insurance policy if we cannot sign Bell long term. I don't believe we'd take a RB early at all, though, but would absolutely take Kamara over McCaffrey. Seven times on Draft Days and every single Sunday.

I don't like Barnett. I do like Cam Sutton, and the Steelers do to. They have been linked to him, talked to him, likely at the pro day to scout him. I think they would like a guy like Kamara, but probably not at that price. I would not take Kamara over McCaffery. McCaffery can line up in the slot and looks natural doing it. So, in some instances, you could have McCaffery and Bell on the field at the same time and have a wide open playbook as either could motion to the slot. McCaffery gives you the full Bell playbook. Kamara doesn't. He isn't horrid, but he just doesn't have that skill set.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC, Any thoughts on Ejuan Price or Avery Moss at OLB? Would they be worth drafting in the 5th or 6th round?

I'm not a fan of either. I don't think Price fits what we want to do. I might be wrong, but I don't think he does. He lacks height to play OLB for us and his 4.84 forty makes me think he struggles with coverage if he moves inside. I'm kind of tired of watching small, fast WRs run away from our LBs on crossing routes.

As for Moss...no. Please no. I cannot fathom how he fell into 10.5 sacks. I mean, I watched him while scouting Derek Rivers and he plays hard, but damn is he so unathletic. He slips some blocks and has decent get off, but he has no speed and virtually no power. He only benched 225-14 times. I am twice his age and I can do that. It is sad. He also was able to boost that sack number because Rivers fed him some by making guys move.

I think there are better quality guys later. That is just me though.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Timmons wasn't over paid. He had the same contract that David Harris did, drafted after Timmons, similar players, same position. Pouncey is still considered one of the best centers in football. I really don't get how you think they will retain talent if they don't pay them. While they OL did okay with Wallace, they also scaled back what they asked him to do. He rarely pulled. The second level blocks were gone. He isn't that mobile. And, I get some people like Vince Wiliams, but he isn't going to get it in coverage. What if you did not pay Timmons and Shazier was taken before we picked. What then? Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Coach doesn't like to spend on ILB or C but as I have tried to explain him, is not like you go to FA with what you save from not signing Pouncey and go get a CB, because it isn't that simple. Thinking that the team didn't miss anything when Pounccey went down is asinine, in 2015 Wallace was horrible and got Ben beaten over and over again.

The Steelers keep their own, if you nail a draft pick you better keep that guy as long as he wants to stay. That builds chemistry, that builds a core of players that learn to love the franchise and teach the rookies how the game has to be played, if not you'll end up with a bunch of players that don't work as a team, don't gel because there's no continuity and that know that in a couple of years the FO will kick to the curb because they don't reward good effort with loyalty

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Coach doesn't like to spend on ILB or C but as I have tried to explain him, is not like you go to FA with what you save from not signing Pouncey and go get a CB, because it isn't that simple. Thinking that the team didn't miss anything when Pounccey went down is asinine, in 2015 Wallace was horrible and got Ben beaten over and over again.

The Steelers keep their own, if you nail a draft pick you better keep that guy as long as he wants to stay. That builds chemistry, that builds a core of players that learn to love the franchise and teach the rookies how the game has to be played, if not you'll end up with a bunch of players that don't work as a team, don't gel because there's no continuity and that know that in a couple of years the FO will kick to the curb because they don't reward good effort with loyalty

Not on ILB or Center unless we are talking about a hall of fame player. Pouncey has been injured too often, and replaced by journeyman...and the Steelers win just fine without him. That much is proven. It is my belief that Pouncey has dodged some off the field trouble, and it would not shock me if he was arrested one day. Yes he is very quick and can pull, but he's nothing special as an in line blocker. We use him correctly at least.

I'd rather share shift that cap money to more impactful positions such as Corner or Edge rusher. There is a reason why you see many pass rusher and corners drafted in round one, but next to no centers or ILB's taken in round one. Edge and Corner impacts the outcome of games more so than ILB and Center.

You can get a functional center or two down ILB in rounds 3-4 of the draft.

My issue with Ike and Troy is they both could have been cut sooner, and with the savings on the cap, you could at least replace them with someone better than what we did. I felt the same for Hampton.

I had no problems with letting Wallace go as he was not worth that type of money, but I think Colbert should have taken the 3rd round pick and not matched to keep Sanders for a year.

Last edited:

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
We need to attack on defense...Put our young guys in position to make plays....Maybe we give up a fast score....maybe our young players make a play....but this death by a thousand cuts is old and should be scrapped once and for all. Not only does it gas our defense but keeps the strongest part of our team on the sideline...Our offense. Watching bad QB's having career games against us is just getting sickening to watch.....

I actually think that what they are working towards is what you see with Capers in Green Bay when he had guys like Davon House, Sam Shields, and a glut of press corners. It has been mentioned that Butler would likely be moving to a Cover-2 and that is in Tomlin's past as well, but the great thing about playing a Cover-2, you can do a lot under it. If you play a cover-2 shell, both safeties spitting the deep half, you can drop Shazier and it is the Tampa-2. You can man under with a Cover-2 shell. You can play full Cover-2 zone. Then, you can roll the CBs deep and it is cover-4. You can drop one corner roll underneath and it is cover-3. If you have a true safety and 5 DBs, you can drop 3 safeties in a cover-3.

We just are not going back.

deljzc

Reaction score
This really isn't the correct thread to debate how Colbert handles the salary cap. I had a lot of problems with Colbert in the late 2000's. Lots of credit card spending. I don't think they drafted well. I thought they invested in the wrong guys on the offensive line. Then the CBA issues kind of ****** them, the cap stayed flat a few years and all that credit card spending caught up with them. Not Colbert's best era in my opinion.

That said, the last 3-4 seasons the salary cap has gone up so much and we've drafted better that they have survived the few minor mistakes they made with contracts. I don't see any issues right now with our M.O. if the cap keeps going up $10 million/year. I think we're investing in the right talent. We've had some money to play with in free agency. We aren't really behind the 8-ball with dead money anywhere in the future.

deljzc

Reaction score
TMC, the way you are describing a potential nickle linebacker/safety, wouldn't Peppers fall in line with that thinking? If he falls to #30 (not out of the question because he needs the right fit), might we be interested? Play him next to Shazier? Draft Rivers in round 2 and maybe you have what I used to call a "heavy nickle" where the extra DB is a safety and not a corner.

A lot of teams around the NFL are playing around with this idea (Carolina, Arizona, Jets)

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
TMC, the way you are describing a potential nickle linebacker/safety, wouldn't Peppers fall in line with that thinking? If he falls to #30 (not out of the question because he needs the right fit), might we be interested? Play him next to Shazier? Draft Rivers in round 2 and maybe you have what I used to call a "heavy nickle" where the extra DB is a safety and not a corner.

A lot of teams around the NFL are playing around with this idea (Carolina, Arizona, Jets)

He could. The only issue I have with that is he isn't a great coverage safety and he stated at the combine he wasn't a LB/hybrid, he was a safety only.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score

I think you could find a player for that specific position without a #1 pick. He doesn't have to be the fastest or the stronger or thebest in cover, a jack of all trades can be found later probably

deljzc

Reaction score
He could. The only issue I have with that is he isn't a great coverage safety and he stated at the combine he wasn't a LB/hybrid, he was a safety only.

He's not a great coverage safety playing deep (he never did really on the film I watched). I think he can cover underneath stuff. Stick with TE's and RB's, maybe bump off a slot receiver.

We used to debate "heavy nickel " around here a lot. It comes and goes as a topic.

To get off topic with another question. You weren't around for last draft season so my question is this:

Without injury reasons, which prospect from last year most exceeded your expectations/scouting and which prospect most disappointed you from your expectation/scouting? Any major surprises from last years draft you remember and feel worth mentioning? What was your original reaction to Burns in round 1 and Davis in round 2?

Last edited:

Drink IRON City

KAYAK Champion who drives a LUXURY S10
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I have no idea. I have never been to Pittsburgh.

Kewl Beans TMC, I just thought I'd mix it up a little as I'm sure you've been bomb-blasted with football questions. Thanks for your honesty and your wisdom in the football world is awesome.

Salute the nation

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
then obviously you can not be a real fan.......

One of my gerl buddys told me the other day that I am the only person she knows that doesn't have a Pittsburgh accent, that types in Pittsburghese.

I told her now that I moved here 6 years ago. I have to make up for lost time.

Yinz know what I mean?

steelpastor

Reaction score
That is certainly one way to go, but IF I were to stay true to taking the BPA and if there are even players, taking need over anything else, here is how I draft:

1st-Chidobe Awuzie or Budda Baker. I think either have the potential to be great. That is your slot DB early, maybe day 1.
2nd-Derek Rivers. I don't think he lasts, but he has the physical tools everyone wants, long, strong, bendy, good enough against the run, can cover, can rush. Just needs to get better.
3rd-Ahkello Witherspoon-I really want Williams, but I have them pretty close and my desire for a true corner is too great. He is an edge only, long that can run.
3B-Marcus Maye-I have Maye at the end of the 2nd. I like Leggett and Gallman, but neither are as good as Maye to me.
4th-Jarron Jones
5th-Ryan Switzer. I know, with Ayers and Rogers, I don't need him. I just want him.

What this does is gives me a big corner opposite of Burns (Witherspoon). It gives me a slot corner and he might start (Baker/Awuzie). It gives me a FS for the future (Maye) and a guy that can step in if I need him to and walk Davis down. I have my edge rusher. I have another pass rusher on the DL for a rotation. I'd like a TE, but Green is coming back. I look at RB in the 6th or tap the pool of unsigned guys in free agency.

I would be pretty pleased with this. It would indicate for sure where we are headed! When it comes to the secondary... go big or go home! Vince would clearly NOT be getting a lot of snaps... and I am great with that. 3-3-5 would definitely be do-able. If we are really going further toward a penetrating 3-4 with press and man mentality in the secondary? Woohoo! I am all-in. I cannot stand prevent defense... and even less so when seems to often be our base defense! LOL.

I am very intrigued with Jarron Jones... especially in the 4th. I know he had a number of injuries slow him down... 20 inches in the vert at the combine? Yikes... my 11-year-old could do that! What are your thoughts on him?

I am thrilled with the options in this draft.

Again, welcome back.

Last edited: