• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
I don't think Cunningham makes it. If you want an athletic ILB, I'd expect Javancy Jones or Samson Ebukam later.

SteelerAl

Reaction score
I think they only get 1 DB tonight. Maybe go outside CB tonight and hope a slot guy (Lewis from Michigan, maybe Corn Elder?) is there in the 4th.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
Not for me he isn't. I'd rather trot out Cockrell and Gay again.
Do you prefer Sutton, Douglas, Griffin, Witherspoon ahead of tankersley?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Cam Sutton in rd 3 could be a nice slot option. Another weird idea...what if Cunningham drops to us. He is an ILB, but very good. would we take him? I may not be on board with a slot corner in rd 2, but I do like Budda and he is a hell of a player.

Sutton might be there for us in round three.

steelpastor

Reaction score

TMC...

Who are your top 5 $backers left on the board?

ZACKB

Reaction score
crazy thing also, is that a guy like Rivers or Williams may be there...no way we would take another Edge...right?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
Here is the thing about Tankersley, he is long. He is 6'1"-200 pounds, with 32 1/4" arms. Plenty of length. His forty is fine at 4.4. But, his shuttle is a 4.32 and that shows on film. He is stiff in the hips and doesn't have great feet. His footwork is sloppy. He played the bail a lot, opened on the snap and turned to run deep and WHEN teams had time, WRs could press that position and then break it down leading to easy throws. He isn't going to stick to WRs crossing. He will struggle with great route runners. He could struggle acclimating and unless he shows better athleticism, he might not get there. In zone, WRs that can eat the cushion on him can get over his head. He had a high number of DPI at Clemson. I just don't think he translates that well. In fact, I think he flat out busts. Just a feeling and you have to go with your gut sometimes. So, I'll pass on him.

And, there is plenty of talent for pick #62. If you want a TE, Gerald Everett is out there. I think the Steelers like Josh Jones, just a feeling. Baker. Melinfonwu. Marcus Maye. Chris Wormley. Marcus Williams. Chidobe Awuzie. Rasul Douglas. Kevin King. Quincy Wilson. Zay Jones is a guy that interests me. Chris Godwin. Tanoh Kpassagnon, Carlos Watkins, Raekwon McMillan, and really more RBs and WRs than you can shake a stick at.

I would not get pencilled in to any singular position. As the old saying goes: "Football isn't about Xs and Os, it is about Jimmys and Joes." Concentrate on people that make us better, not so much locking into a position.

steelpastor

Reaction score

Will any of these DB's be there for us in round 2?

Keven King, Awuzie, Marcus Williams, Josh Jones, Maye, Melifonwu?

SteelerAl

Reaction score

We can hope but I'm somewhat pessimistic. Hopefully QBs, OLs and RBs like Mixon and Cook and Kamara all go off the board quickly.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score

TMC...

My #1 would have to be Josh Jones. He is 6'1"-220, ran a 4.41, had 20 reps, 37.5" VJ, 11' BJ. More straightline, but if he gets in man coverage and can keep a body on you, he can run with most big TEs. He will thump. Good range deep, so he is solid in zones. Just a big safety with a solid all around game.

For the #2, probably Marcus Maye. His issue is range and angles on the back end. He is better in the box, bumping in man. He is 6'-207. He ran a 4.47, better change of direction with a shuttle of 4.18. He will smack you too. Weaker in zone, especially the deeper he gets and the more ground he has to cover, but as you move him down, he gets stronger.

The #3 is Obi Melinfonwu. He is excellent in man. Nice hitter. Not as instinctual in zone, has to see it to react. The more space you give him, the slower he plays. Doesn't have great COD, like Jones, needs to bump and rub off speed, but should be able to handle most TEs. Good athlete but doesn't play like a 4-year starter with his instincts.

At #4, I really like Rayshawn Jenkins. He is another big safety, at 6'2"-214 pounds. He ran a 4.5 with a 4.20 shuttle, 2nd best on this list. Good in man, good in zone. He will hit you. Flies around the ball sometime and can miss because he gets a little out of control, but I'd rather have a guy I need to reign in than one I have to get going. Really good athlete, looks bigger than he is listed.

My #5 kind of comes out of left field, but for some reason, I really like Nate Gerry of Nebraska. He is 6'2"-218 pounds. He ran a 4.58 forty with a 4.37 forty. Another guy that will smack your ***. Not as athletic as the top 4, but he plays hard with a ton of grit. Just keeps working. Great instincts. Great ball skills. He might be a free agent, but I think he is smart and a hard worker and can develop.

Now, those are $backers, not guys I stack in the slot over little WRs. I have a whole different group for them. This bigger guys won't run with the Edelmans of the NFL.

Steelerfan81

HERE WE GO
Forefather
Admin
Contributor
Reaction score
TMC, maybe a new thread with your top available? Even top available for Steelers needs?

Coach

Forefather
Reaction score
Question to TMC, who would have you taken?

I say Watt, as edge rushers are in short supply, but this is a very deep CB and S draft. Your thoughts please.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
You know, I ask specifically for tankerskey because the Steelers FO showed interest in him and we all know how that goes but I do agree there will be better talent available

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score

TMC...

Let me go back to this, those are the $backers. There are also some linebackers that can cover, so they really fit a different category. They are more 3-down guys who just give you that athleticism. And, Dobre said something to me in a discussion about Hightower, because I did not understand bringing in a guy less athletic than Timmons. His point was, Hightower captains a defense. He lines you up. He makes sure everyone is where they need to be. Hightower takes the dot off of Shazier and Shazier becomes that chess piece, your Troy Polamalu at LB. That makes some sense. So, there are some LBs that could come into play. I think Jared Davis was one. Steelers visited him. He ran the defense in Florida. Cunningham is another, don't think he lasts. Don't be surprised if McMillan is selected. He is a 4.61 guy, good in zone coverage. Solid run defender. Has potential in man coverage, but he runs that OSU defense. He would get your dot. If Tyus Bowser slips, I'd be interested. Maybe not in the 2nd, but certainly in the 3rd. He is 6025-247 with a 4.65 forty, but he excels in coverage. Good in space, will support the run. Slight changes if he slides inside, but his issues at the point of attack won't be there anymore. Sure, would take time, but not out of the question. He is a good enough athlete, gives you the blitz component. I'd really keep an eye on Samson Ebukam as a late draft guy that could potentially move inside. Jordan Jones of Northwestern and David Talley of GVS are two undrafted guys to watch. Think outside the box.

I'm hoping for Awuzie. Williams, Jones, Mayes, and Melinfonwu...one or two should be there. Maybe one of them down into the 3rd. Lots of talent, somebody has to slide.

Question to TMC, who would have you taken?

I say Watt, as edge rushers are in short supply, but this is a very deep CB and S draft. Your thoughts please.

Cannot argue with Watt. The edges were leaving the board. I expect the top of the 2nd to nab a few more. I think if we moved, might lose out on Watt. Solid corners/DBs left. Better depth at the DB spot right now. I would have considered Awuzie, King, and Baker. I also thought about Cook, Lamp, Ram, and Foster. Hard to pass on that value, but they all had reasons they slipped. Lamp was an interior OL. Cook has some off-the-field questions dogging him and his traits are not elite. Foster and Ram have medical.

As it unfolded, Watt seems like the smart choice, maybe the safest choice too. Hard to argue against it. He was right there as far as grades. Maybe a slight reach, not enough to sweat.

steelpastor

Reaction score
My #1 would have to be Josh Jones. He is 6'1"-220, ran a 4.41, had 20 reps, 37.5" VJ, 11' BJ. More straightline, but if he gets in man coverage and can keep a body on you, he can run with most big TEs. He will thump. Good range deep, so he is solid in zones. Just a big safety with a solid all around game.

For the #2, probably Marcus Maye. His issue is range and angles on the back end. He is better in the box, bumping in man. He is 6'-207. He ran a 4.47, better change of direction with a shuttle of 4.18. He will smack you too. Weaker in zone, especially the deeper he gets and the more ground he has to cover, but as you move him down, he gets stronger.

The #3 is Obi Melinfonwu. He is excellent in man. Nice hitter. Not as instinctual in zone, has to see it to react. The more space you give him, the slower he plays. Doesn't have great COD, like Jones, needs to bump and rub off speed, but should be able to handle most TEs. Good athlete but doesn't play like a 4-year starter with his instincts.

At #4, I really like Rayshawn Jenkins. He is another big safety, at 6'2"-214 pounds. He ran a 4.5 with a 4.20 shuttle, 2nd best on this list. Good in man, good in zone. He will hit you. Flies around the ball sometime and can miss because he gets a little out of control, but I'd rather have a guy I need to reign in than one I have to get going. Really good athlete, looks bigger than he is listed.

My #5 kind of comes out of left field, but for some reason, I really like Nate Gerry of Nebraska. He is 6'2"-218 pounds. He ran a 4.58 forty with a 4.37 forty. Another guy that will smack your ***. Not as athletic as the top 4, but he plays hard with a ton of grit. Just keeps working. Great instincts. Great ball skills. He might be a free agent, but I think he is smart and a hard worker and can develop.

Now, those are $backers, not guys I stack in the slot over little WRs. I have a whole different group for them. This bigger guys won't run with the Edelmans of the NFL.

I like Josh Jones and Melinfonwu... but I am concerned there is a little too much Taylor May (former USC Safety) in them.

WOW! Nate Gerry? LOL. I had to look him up. Glad to have you back around.