• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2017 NFL Draft Q&A

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm hoping we take Njoku.

our offense with him...

FIVE WIDE ******* with Ben choosing between:
Brown, Bryant, Rogers, Njoku, Bell, Coates/Hunter/Ayers

that's pretty ******* impressive

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a bad feeling in my gut that it will be Jabrill Peppers. I'm holding out hope someone ahead of us takes him.

i'm scared of this too. Hopefully there are no valuable objects in my immediate vicinity if this goes down

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Why not Peppers? Besides the failed drug test, what am I missing from him? He has been compared to Troy and linked to the B&G. Thanks!

deljzc

Reaction score
To me, Peppers is a hell of a lot better prospect than Jordan Willis....

AggieSteel

Contributor
Reaction score
Why not Peppers? Besides the failed drug test, what am I missing from him? He has been compared to Troy and linked to the B&G. Thanks!

He can't cover and he doesn't produce turnovers

He makes 100% of his impact plays making tackles in space or in the backfield. We have guys for that, and it's not what we need. We need guys who can stick to a receiver, intercept the ball/break up passes, force fumbles. He is none of these things. I'd honestly rather try to make him work as Le'Veon's backup than put him anywhere on our defense. But even then, he was incredibly non-impactful as an offensive player at UM too. A bunch of 4 yard runs. Great athlete, doesn't have a fit on our team

thesteelcity

Pittsburgh, PA
Reaction score
Thanks Aggie. I was curious, if we drafted another #43, how would that be a bad thing? I did read that he had one forced fumble and one INT in college. Not impressive, but he makes plays considering his size. I didn't watch Michigan football, so that's why I asked. I appreciate the info.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score

I think one of the main reasons he gets compared to Troy is he plays near the line and is excellent at coming down hill and blowing up plays. He gets runners behind the line like nobody in this draft. He is pretty instinctive in short zone and times his blitzes well. Those are all things that mirror Troy. But, Troy could play deep if needed. It wasn't his best attribute or use, but he could do it. He could also turn and run with guys and get his head around for INTs. Those are where it falls apart for Peppers. Troy also made a massive amount of highlight turnovers/INTs. Peppers next one will be his first. Just doesn't show that.

So, similar but different.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
To me, Peppers is a hell of a lot better prospect than Jordan Willis....

A one legged Peppers is a better prospect than Willis, IMO. I just don't see it with him.

Litos

Contributor
Reaction score
I think one of the main reasons he gets compared to Troy is he plays near the line and is excellent at coming down hill and blowing up plays. He gets runners behind the line like nobody in this draft. He is pretty instinctive in short zone and times his blitzes well. Those are all things that mirror Troy. But, Troy could play deep if needed. It wasn't his best attribute or use, but he could do it. He could also turn and run with guys and get his head around for INTs. Those are where it falls apart for Peppers. Troy also made a massive amount of highlight turnovers/INTs. Peppers next one will be his first. Just doesn't show that.

So, similar but different.

playing a whole year at linebacker didn't help him develop coverage skills either, he'd need time to get there, but at least he could help in the flats meanwhile. Not that I'd love the pick but seeing the glass half full if it happens

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think Peppers is one of the few payers that would annoy me in 1. As I want the team to improve in coverage. If that is pass rushing better or covering better. Either or, preferably both.

deljzc

Reaction score
I really don't think Peppers is going to take snaps away from Sean Davis or Mike Mitchell. Certainly not in year 1 and maybe not in year 2.

I watched a few more games of Peppers and he played linebacker. That's really what he is. I compare him to Thomas Davis in Carolina. And there are more and more players like Davis finding room in today's NFL.

If we draft Peppers, I think it's to play an inside linebacker position next to Shazier. I really do. Sure, there might be short yardage you take him off and put Vince Williams or a thumper linebacker in (hell, you might even take Sean Davis off, put Vince Williams in and move Peppers to a more traditional SS spot playing in an 8-man box like old school formations with Mitchell playing single-high safety).

Peppers will also almost immediately return punts/kicks for us. I know the interceptions in college don't indicate it, but he has good hands. He naturally catches kicks/punts very well. Soft. Now everyone here knows I'm not a huge advocate or believer that "special teams is 1/3rd the game" (that's bullshit). And we know KO returns are less and less important, but we do need a steady, sure-handed punt returner so Antonio Brown doesn't have to do it all the time. And using Peppers would save a roster spot vs. having to carry a #5 WR like Ayers to do it on game days (sorry Coolie).

Peppers is not a deep safety. Not sure he will ever be that. But damn, the kid plays really hard. He's into games. Involved. Active. Makes plays behind the line of scrimmage. Comes downhill as well as any linebacker in this draft with the exception of Rueban Foster.

I guess I'm just not worried about position with him. He's a football player and will find ways to contribute.

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
This is one of the toughest drafts I think I have ever witnessed when it comes to predicting who goes where. The only sure thing should be Garrett at #1, but now that three of the top pundits have picked Trubisky (and I hope Cleveland does take him), I just don't know. Here is what I think for the Steelers tonight.....I think they have strong interest in Jabrill Peppers. Personally, I'm hoping he goes before our pick because I just have a great deal of uncertainty about him. I also think they are higher on TJ Watt than most think, but I think Green Bay takes him just ahead of us. If I had to stack a board for them, I would stack it like this:
Peppers
Watt
Marlon Humphrey
Chidobe Awuzie
Takk McKinley
Budda Baker
TreDavious White
The Field.

If they land Peppers in the first, I think CB is your 2nd. If it is Watt in the first, maybe Josh Jones in the 2nd or a corner. If they land a CB, I'd watch for Rivers in the 2nd. Just my thoughts, probably won't have a great idea of who until 2-3 picks before they are on the clock. This field needs to shrink.

steelpastor

Reaction score

I really hope Peppers goes before us... I am also hoping that all the analysts that are comparing him to Troy (and thus, the Steelers) are way off. I would be great with Watt or Humphrey or Awuzie... although they may also both be gone. I agree with you on GB... I cannot see them letting Watt get by them.

I am actually trying to get some work done today! HAH! LOL.

Superman

You may worship me
Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
Trubisky should state he was in the room with Conley, but didnt see anything since he was a foot deep in a pile of snow.

ZACKB

Reaction score
What about Conley...would we consider him?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
What about Conley...would we consider him?

As I said before, it would all depend on the information the front office has gathered since the news broke. If they truly felt he did not do it and he slipped to an area they are comfortable, I would not see why not. The more information that is coming out, it looks more and more like he never had sexual intercourse and she performed oral sex on him, in a bathroom, in front of 2 other people. Then he kicked her out. I'd ding him some for being dumb, but at that age, they are all a little dumb. Once she got kicked out, apparently she tried to convince the other girl in the room to cry rape with her. But, the other girl spilled the beans. It happened on the 9th of April, no charges yet, which is pretty unusual if it was a rape and they know the suspect. Dunno.

That is, IF all the leaked information is true.

ZACKB

Reaction score
Supposedly some team will still take him in rd 1. I bet Dallas would. If he fell to us and we took him it could be a steal.

As I said before, it would all depend on the information the front office has gathered since the news broke. If they truly felt he did not do it and he slipped to an area they are comfortable, I would not see why not. The more information that is coming out, it looks more and more like he never had sexual intercourse and she performed oral sex on him, in a bathroom, in front of 2 other people. Then he kicked her out. I'd ding him some for being dumb, but at that age, they are all a little dumb. Once she got kicked out, apparently she tried to convince the other girl in the room to cry rape with her. But, the other girl spilled the beans. It happened on the 9th of April, no charges yet, which is pretty unusual if it was a rape and they know the suspect. Dunno.

That is, IF all the leaked information is true.

Super Dave

Forefather
Contributor
Reaction score
How different does this 1st round look if The Stains take the QB with the 1st pick?

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
How different does this 1st round look if The Stains take the QB with the 1st pick?

Probably not a lot. San Fran would just take him at #2. They are the wildcard now. By the time it gets to us, all that should have shaken out anyway.

slashsteel

Thank you for everything Franco, R I P.
Contributor
Reaction score
I think if we can get three QBs to go before we pick that should help get someone to slide to us..........

TMC

Forefather
Reaction score
What we really need to hope is that other teams go crazy over offensive players, QBs/OL is a great start to the draft. If we could see 7-9 of those come off the board, it sets us up pretty well.

steelpastor

Reaction score
What we really need to hope is that other teams go crazy over offensive players, QBs/OL is a great start to the draft. If we could see 7-9 of those come off the board, it sets us up pretty well.

Let's hope for 12 (or even 13)+ offensive players to be off the board before us. Then, we should be in good shape.