• Please be aware we've switched the forums to their own URL. (again) You'll find the new website address to be www.steelernationforum.com Thanks
  • Please clear your private messages. Your inbox is close to being full.

2015 Pirates thread

swal75

Reaction score
Cutch is named Austin Meadows in a few years.

Bell crushed AAA late last year. Likely they want him to get defensive seasoning at 1b and hit a wall battingvand then overcome it. He's almost a sure thing. I'd be shocked if he wasn't a .280/.360/.450 guy with 20 homers.

Glasnow will be up this summer I'd imagine. Taillon hasn't pitched in 2 full seasons. I bet they start him in May-June in AA and save innings so he can maybe pitch in August/September with no innings limit.

Last edited:

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
Rogers is an interesting signing....righty, but hits righties better than lefties, so I guess that works with Morse.

swal75

Reaction score
Ryan Vogelsong rates as a #5 starter type a guess.

Buster

Reaction score
Bucs sign John Jaso. Guess we are back to the days of Garrett Jones and Gaby Sanchez.

swal75

Reaction score
Eh, he's not a horrible hitter. I don't understand bringing in a first baseman that has pretty much never played first in his career though.

21STEELERS21

21 is my IQ
Reaction score
Jaso is a Moneyball move, he gets on base at an extremely high rate. With Jaso, Rogers, Morse, the Pirates have
improved first base and the bench. If they sign another starter, a legit #3 or #4 they will have improved a 98 win team.

Rotation by year end could be Cole, Liriano, Glasnow, ?, Niese. If Niese ends up our #5 by year end our starting rotation has
greatly improved.

swal75

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure about a Cole/Liriano/Locke/Niese/Vogelsong rotation. That's a really solid 1/2 punch and then the rest of the guys are more like #5 types. Especially Locke, I can't stand that guy. If they could still sign Latos, he could possibly be a high upside #3 this year and the rotation will look a ton better.

Punxsutawney

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not sure about a Cole/Liriano/Locke/Niese/Vogelsong rotation. That's a really solid 1/2 punch and then the rest of the guys are more like #5 types. Especially Locke, I can't stand that guy. If they could still sign Latos, he could possibly be a high upside #3 this year and the rotation will look a ton better.

I'm not thrilled about it either, but that's pretty much going to be the rotation until Glasnow and Taillon arrive over the summer.

Searage is going to have to work his magic again.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
it's Christmas...Christmas sucks....I'm bored.

so as a of now...

C- Cisco and Stew...with the kid from AAA waiting.

1B- Morse and Jaso...Morse is only an rch better than Daydro in the field...Jaso hasn't played there...Rogers as a could be....SRod is a good defensive guy.

2nd- Harrison....maybe Hanson gets some time here or SS...

SS - Mercer again....if this guy would learn how to hit in April, eh?

3B - Kang....with Rogers getting some innings...

Kang can start at SS, Harrison can play anything....

OF - Marte, Cutch, Polanco...still a cut above...Rogers could get innings here, too

SP - Cole/Liriano/Locke/Niese/Vogelsong

RP - Shark, Watson and whatever Ray builds in the Lab.

SRod and Rogers as PH's and "off day" guys.

championship.

Last edited:

hook

Forefather
Reaction score
it's Christmas...Christmas sucks....I'm bored.

so as a of now...

C- Cisco and Stew...with the kid from AAA waiting.

1B- Morse and Jaso...Morse is only an rch better than Daydro in the field...Jaso hasn't played there...Rogers as a could be....SRod is a good defensive guy.

2nd- Harrison....maybe Hanson gets some time here or SS...

SS - Mercer again....if this guy would learn how to hit in April, eh?

3B - Kang....with Rogers getting some innings...

Kang can start at SS, Harrison can play anything....

OF - Marte, Cutch, Polanco...still a cut above...Rogers could get innings here, too

SP - Cole/Liriano/Locke/Niese/Vogelsong

RP - Shark, Watson and whatever Ray builds in the Lab.

SRod and Rogers as PH's and "off day" guys.

championship.

This team's window closed last year. They'll still be competitive for sure, but they're maybe the 3rd best team in their division.

Still NOTHING has been done to address the gaping hole at first base.

swal75

Reaction score
Jaso is a good platoon bat. It's not just about hitting homers. They aren't going to sign a 1b when Bell can have a real impact on this team as early as July. With there being only 4 LH starters in our division a .800 ops hitter could be more valuable than a guy like Pedro.

If you get into the playoffs, a guy like Cole can take a leap and you can win it all.

swal75

Reaction score
My evaluation

1b- if Jaso is decent in the field and can post a 120ish+ OPS+ it'll be OK. We are going to be short on homers this year however. Maybe Morse can be a decent PH/compliment. If Bell tears it up in AAA, he could push both to the bench and Morse off the roster entirely. Jaso on the bench is easily worth it for 4-5M a season.

2B Harrison is a good player. His versatility allows him to cover 3rd and the OF if needed. Hanson might push the roster this year but could be a long term player at 2b in the future.

SS- Mercer is a pretty good metrics defender. Needs to hit better. I doubt he's someone worth replacing for a few years.

3B- I believe in Kang. Hoping he can recover from his injury. Not sure he should ever really be playing 2B and SS only in select situations.

OF-2 studs and Polanco might get there this year

Rotation- really depends on Glasnow making a later season impact. Cole could still get better. Would still like 1 more arm. We've done a great job of rebuilding guys.

Bullpen-They will figure it out.

Catchers- would be great if Diaz can get a nice look this year cause right now he's probably the best option for 2017. Cervelli is probably out of our price range to retain, but I would make him a QO after the season.

I imagine we will win 92-98 games again.

USDA#1

Forefather
Reaction score
This team's window closed last year. They'll still be competitive for sure, but they're maybe the 3rd best team in their division.

Still NOTHING has been done to address the gaping hole at first base.

sarcasm....

I doubt they crack 92 again...I don't see the pitching for more.